Cannot get into recovery

Search This thread

velvel

Sep 1, 2009
Ottawa
Hi all
I use HTC One X, but bought some time ago HTC One S, it worked fine for some time, but yesterday restarted and from that point I could not get it back neither to recovery nor ROM anymore. Phone bootloops and I can only get to fastboot.
I've unlocked the bootloader (*** UNLOCKED *** shows on top when in fastboot) and fastboot getvar all returns:
(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 2.15.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 1.11.50.05.28
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main: 3.16.666.9
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-OFF
(bootloader) serialno: HT24AW408183
(bootloader) imei: 352103050022322
(bootloader) product: vle
(bootloader) platform: HBOOT-8960
(bootloader) modelid: PJ4011000
(bootloader) cidnum: 11111111
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 3695mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: off
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: dirty-64bedd38
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0

When I flash recovery (fastboot flash recovery recovery.img and recovery.img is from here (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2528113 under Recovery HBOOT 2.15 Users Only ClockworkMod 6.0.4.5), it does flash ok
sending 'recovery' (8106 KB)..
OKAY [ 1.079s]
writing 'recovery'...
OKAY [ 1.856s]
finished. total time: 2.943s

but I still cannot get into recovery (phone restarts to screen with red text (for dev only...) and then restarts and bootloops.
Can anybody please help me with this?
Thanks

velvel

Sep 1, 2009
Ottawa
Thanks, but I even cannot get into recovery :(

Hm, really strange behavior, had couple of HTC phones but never seen something like this happening.
I did run RUU (first changed cid and relocked), everything went fine (no errors), but still cannot boot. My experience so far was that if RUU runs fine, you should boot without problem. Thinking more and more that there is some hardware problem, that is causing phone to bootloop.
If anyone has any idea, I would appreciate it a lot.
Thanks

42freelancer

Jul 16, 2013
Port Saint Loser
Build me a scenario

Hm, really strange behavior, had couple of HTC phones but never seen something like this happening.
I did run RUU (first changed cid and relocked), everything went fine (no errors), but still cannot boot. My experience so far was that if RUU runs fine, you should boot without problem. Thinking more and more that there is some hardware problem, that is causing phone to bootloop.
Thanks

According to your first post, everything seems to be okay. Your drivers are seeing the phone, and the phone is recognizing its hardware.

Which recoveries did you try to flash? (TWRP, CWM)
And which version?
Have you tried to reroot the device and flash a recovery again since running the RUU?

From my experience with running an RUU, you should be able to boot right away. What were the steps you took (in order) before you ran the RUU?

Sorry for all the questions, trying to establish a scenario.

[EDIT] Also, I see that you got the initial recovery from the CM11 ROM page. You didn't happen to flash a ROM that is meant for HBOOT 2.16 did you? I sure hope not. That could be a possibility as to why you can not boot anything.

Last edited:
Reactions: velvel

velvel

Sep 1, 2009
Ottawa
I've tried both. fastboot flash recovery imgname would work fine, but I would again finish in bootloop after restart.
TWRP_2.6.1.0_ville_4.2.2 and latest CWM
Have you tried to reroot the device and flash a recovery again since running the RUU?
You mean reunlock, not reroot, right? I've done reunlock so I could flash recovery.

From my experience with running an RUU, you should be able to boot right away. What were the steps you took (in order) before you ran the RUU?
I would run:
fastboot erase cache
fastboot reboot-bootloader
and then start RUU.

You are welcome and thanks for the help.
[EDIT] Also, I see that you got the initial recovery from the CM11 ROM page. You didn't happen to flash a ROM that is meant for HBOOT 2.16 did you? I sure hope not. That could be a possibility as to why you can not boot anything.
No, 2.15 all the time...

42freelancer

Jul 16, 2013
Port Saint Loser
I've tried both. fastboot flash recovery imgname would work fine, but I would again finish in bootloop after restart.

TWRP_2.6.1.0_ville_4.2.2 and latest CWM

You mean reunlock, not reroot, right? I've done reunlock so I could flash recovery.

I would run:
fastboot erase cache
fastboot reboot-bootloader
and then start RUU.

You are welcome and thanks for the help.

No, 2.15 all the time...

Try getting into bootloader and pushing the kernel this way: fastboot flash boot boot.img
you don't have to be in recovery for this. The phone is s-on right?

[edit] actually your security says it's off.

Last edited:

velvel

Sep 1, 2009
Ottawa
Try getting into bootloader and pushing the kernel this way: fastboot flash boot boot.img
you don't have to be in recovery for this.

No, it didn't work, this is something more serious :(
I've basically tried all I could think of, from doing RUUs (3 of them), flashing boot and recovery images, going 2.15, 2.16, locking/unlocking (obviously) and finally going S-On (ok, might be stupid, but I run out of ideas).
Bottom line is that all of the flashing worked for me, I get no error, but even simple fastboot boot recovery.img brings back the bootloop.
For example:
>fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.0-ville-selinux.img
sending 'recovery' (8668 KB)...
OKAY [ 1.108s]
writing 'recovery'...
OKAY [ 2.059s]
finished. total time: 3.173s
>fastboot reboot

and if I hold Vol- and select recovery in bootloader I am back to bootloop.
Same thing if I try:
>fastboot boot openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.0-ville-selinux.img

I just do not understand why I am not getting any error message when flushing and is it possible that there is something wrong with the hardware that causes this behavior...

42freelancer

Jul 16, 2013
Port Saint Loser
No, it didn't work, this is something more serious :(
I've basically tried all I could think of, from doing RUUs (3 of them), flashing boot and recovery images, going 2.15, 2.16, locking/unlocking (obviously) and finally going S-On (ok, might be stupid, but I run out of ideas).
Bottom line is that all of the flashing worked for me, I get no error, but even simple fastboot boot recovery.img brings back the bootloop.
For example:
>fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.0-ville-selinux.img
sending 'recovery' (8668 KB)...
OKAY [ 1.108s]
writing 'recovery'...
OKAY [ 2.059s]
finished. total time: 3.173s
>fastboot reboot

and if I hold Vol- and select recovery in bootloader I am back to bootloop.
Same thing if I try:
>fastboot boot openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.0-ville-selinux.img

I just do not understand why I am not getting any error message when flushing and is it possible that there is something wrong with the hardware that causes this behavior...

Sounds like you have a soft brick on your hands.

Can you boot the device at all, stock or custom ROM?
Maybe reverting to COMPLETE STOCK and starting over fresh will help?
What was the last thing you did right before you got stuck?

velvel

Sep 1, 2009
Ottawa
Sounds like you have a soft brick on your hands.

Can you boot the device at all, stock or custom ROM?
Maybe reverting to COMPLETE STOCK and starting over fresh will help?
What was the last thing you did right before you got stuck?

No, I cannot boot, after RUU that runs fine, phone still bootloops and only thing I can do is go into bootloader.
When you say COMPLETE STOCK, you mean RUU, right?
I was talking on the phone and phone restarted. After that I was able to boot after many tries, after restart, could not boot and than tried RUU etc...

42freelancer

Jul 16, 2013
Port Saint Loser
No, I cannot boot, after RUU that runs fine, phone still bootloops and only thing I can do is go into bootloader.
I was talking on the phone and phone restarted. After that I was able to boot after many tries, after restart, could not boot and than tried RUU etc...

And here we are. Do you happen to have the old All In One Kit that became obsolete, by hasoon2000? It has the function to flash your recovery back to stock. I found two mirrors on the internet, but because of the rules, I can't post them. But they are accessible through the internets if you use the right keywords.

Last edited:

42freelancer

Jul 16, 2013
Port Saint Loser
Last edited:

scorpio_13

Mar 1, 2014
Seems issue with Recovery, bootloop is normal

Hi all
I use HTC One X, but bought some time ago HTC One S, it worked fine for some time, but yesterday restarted and from that point I could not get it back neither to recovery nor ROM anymore. Phone bootloops and I can only get to fastboot.
I've unlocked the bootloader (*** UNLOCKED *** shows on top when in fastboot) and fastboot getvar all returns:

When I flash recovery (fastboot flash recovery recovery.img and recovery.img is from here (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2528113 under Recovery HBOOT 2.15 Users Only ClockworkMod 6.0.4.5), it does flash ok
OKAY [ 1.079s]
writing 'recovery'...
OKAY [ 1.856s]

but I still cannot get into recovery (phone restarts to screen with red text (for dev only...) and then restarts and bootloops.
Thanks

Hi,

Bootloop is normal for ROM geeks.;)
In your case, it seems your phone has issue with version of Recovery. I had this issue too and found correct Recovery @ http://techerrata.com/browse/twrp2/ville ....

You can give a try..:fingers-crossed::fingers-crossed::fingers-crossed:

homeboy1956

Oct 25, 2013
Herford
Hi all

OKAY [ 1.079s]
writing 'recovery'...
OKAY [ 1.856s]

Thanks

Did you check the fast boot option in the powermenue under settings? If its check it will happen like ur problem.

LS.xD

Nov 7, 2013
Luebeck
OnePlus 3
Xiaomi 11T Pro

Have you tried this? :

--> flash STOCK recovery via fastboot or toolkit

--> Boot to bootloader --> Factory Reset(Userdata) / Clear Stotage (SD-card) (these commands only work with STOCK recovery)

trungdel

Mar 8, 2014
Hanoi
Before I got the same problem, so in Bootloader I did Factory Reset and then flash the Recovery TWRP 2.6.3.0. Now it works :D

Reactions: LS.xD

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I suggest reflashing kernel.

Wysłane z mojego HTC One S przy użyciu Tapatalka
    Build me a scenario

Thanks

According to your first post, everything seems to be okay. Your drivers are seeing the phone, and the phone is recognizing its hardware.

And which version?

Before I got the same problem, so in Bootloader I did Factory Reset and then flash the Recovery TWRP 2.6.3.0. Now it works :D