Surface Pro 1TB [Mod]

Search This thread

MAD Industries

Oct 5, 2010
Los Angeles
Not sure if the possibility of an SSD upgrade is still something people are interested in but just in case, I wanted to throw this out there somewhere in the community.

I have successfully upgraded my new Surface Pro 2 (64gb) with a Samsung Evo 1TB mSata drive. (http://www.samsung.com/sg/consumer/memory-storage/solid-state-drive/ssd-840-evo/MZ-MTE1T0BW)

If this is something people are curious about and considering themselves, feel free to send me a message or reply to this post.

hitechrr

Jan 10, 2009
Not sure if the possibility of an SSD upgrade is still something people are interested in but just in case, I wanted to throw this out there somewhere in the community.

I have successfully upgraded my new Surface Pro 2 (64gb) with a Samsung Evo 1TB mSata drive. (http://www.samsung.com/sg/consumer/memory-storage/solid-state-drive/ssd-840-evo/MZ-MTE1T0BW)

If this is something people are curious about and considering themselves, feel free to send me a message or reply to this post.

How much trouble was it to take it apart?

MAD Industries

Oct 5, 2010
Los Angeles

Absolute pain. Literally the most difficult mod to a consumer electronic I have ever done. That said, the second time around is MUCH easier and less stressful. It took about 2.5hrs to get the screen off and then various bits of time over the next week trying to find proper tools/consumables to complete it. Despite all that, I highly recommend the mod as it has made my surface much more useful to me.

A couple tips:

• Use a hair dryer on high instead of a heatgun around the screen edges. The helps prevent overheating/damage/melting plastic
  • You will need about 30-40 guitar picks. I chose light and medium grade
  • Heat the bottom of the screen last and run a plastic spudger along the entire bottom edge while heating. Put slight pressure in the direction of separation and let the heat do the work. It will move along when it's ready. Do not separate the bottom more than about 2-4mm apart
  • Use a very thin metal spudger along with a flashlight to locate the two ribbon cables at the bottom, insert the spudger, and slide across the bottom beneath the ribbon to separate the ribbon without tearing it off the display. THEN insert the picks. If it separated from the display, you will lose touch sensitivity in the display and need a new one. Be very careful
  • Make sure you have Torx T2-T5 and enough screw containers to separate all the different screws
  • Use the linux "dd" command line utility to clone the drive. Yes, it takes longer but it avoids much hassle later on. Just do it. It works
  • Make sure you disconnect the power ribbon cable when you remove the LCD screen so you aren't operating on a powered unit
  • The T2 screws along the inside bottom edge have loctite on them and strip easily. Use a soldering iron set to low heat to heat them slightly before removing. This loosens the loctite
  • Remove all the old adhesive from the edges. Use 3m 9495LE tape to reseal it. It's cleaner. Find it here: http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?mpart=3-5-9495LE&vendor=1067
  • Make sure you cover edges with tape sufficiently
  • When you reattach the power ribbon cable, press it down firmly and flat on to the board/backside. If there is any "hump" left in it, it will distort the area of the screen above it. Tolerances are very low here

I'll add more here as I think of it

I'd love the details...seems like a great upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is a great upgrade. I love it. I have limited pictures/video. I'll post them when I get a moment

Last edited:
Reactions: kano45

MAD Industries

Oct 5, 2010
Los Angeles

I used that as a reference and it certainly helped a lot. That said, it isn't a true disassembly guide and fails to note several important aspects of taking the unit apart and reassembling it in a manner that allows it to stay functional. iFixit even mentions that they were unable to safely take it apart and ended up permanently destroying the unit. I say definitely look at the teardown for an idea of what you are dealing with but don't follow it like a manual.

standarduser

Jun 10, 2009
I only posted that since the pictures might help to give some insight on what you are up against with this beast. :) Upgrading the surface is not for the fient of heart.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

TheEyeUp

Jan 16, 2015
Surface Pro 3 1TB ssd Upgrade

This is the only reference to someone trying to go above what a 512 GB upgrade, do you think it will work with a Surface Pro 3 ? My screen is already cracked and i ordered a replacement ,I might as well upgrade the Storage while its open.

Reactions: pyrochance

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Absolute pain. Literally the most difficult mod to a consumer electronic I have ever done. That said, the second time around is MUCH easier and less stressful. It took about 2.5hrs to get the screen off and then various bits of time over the next week trying to find proper tools/consumables to complete it. Despite all that, I highly recommend the mod as it has made my surface much more useful to me.

A couple tips:

• Use a hair dryer on high instead of a heatgun around the screen edges. The helps prevent overheating/damage/melting plastic
    • You will need about 30-40 guitar picks. I chose light and medium grade
    • Heat the bottom of the screen last and run a plastic spudger along the entire bottom edge while heating. Put slight pressure in the direction of separation and let the heat do the work. It will move along when it's ready. Do not separate the bottom more than about 2-4mm apart
    • Use a very thin metal spudger along with a flashlight to locate the two ribbon cables at the bottom, insert the spudger, and slide across the bottom beneath the ribbon to separate the ribbon without tearing it off the display. THEN insert the picks. If it separated from the display, you will lose touch sensitivity in the display and need a new one. Be very careful
    • Make sure you have Torx T2-T5 and enough screw containers to separate all the different screws
    • Use the linux "dd" command line utility to clone the drive. Yes, it takes longer but it avoids much hassle later on. Just do it. It works
    • Make sure you disconnect the power ribbon cable when you remove the LCD screen so you aren't operating on a powered unit
    • The T2 screws along the inside bottom edge have loctite on them and strip easily. Use a soldering iron set to low heat to heat them slightly before removing. This loosens the loctite
    • Remove all the old adhesive from the edges. Use 3m 9495LE tape to reseal it. It's cleaner. Find it here: http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?mpart=3-5-9495LE&vendor=1067
    • Make sure you cover edges with tape sufficiently
    • When you reattach the power ribbon cable, press it down firmly and flat on to the board/backside. If there is any "hump" left in it, it will distort the area of the screen above it. Tolerances are very low here

I'll add more here as I think of it

I'd love the details...seems like a great upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is a great upgrade. I love it. I have limited pictures/video. I'll post them when I get a moment
    Surface Pro 3 1TB ssd Upgrade

This is the only reference to someone trying to go above what a 512 GB upgrade, do you think it will work with a Surface Pro 3 ? My screen is already cracked and i ordered a replacement ,I might as well upgrade the Storage while its open.