[BOUNTY]New Root+Recovery method and/or Bootloader Unlock

Search This thread
J

jetlitheone

Got this wonderful idea from @open1your1eyes0 in the Verizon thread so I figured I'd post it over here.

The other bounty thread was almost dead, this one is explicit and serious (and for the new firmware), you are asked NOT to make a pledge and then not pay when and/or if these methods become known.

Bounty Details:
As I'm sure you all know already AT&T released an update on July, 9 2013 with the build number UCUAMF3. This update blocked the motochopper exploit and Loki exploit.Samsung / AT&T blew a QFUSE when they sent the update to our devices.

This means you cannot downgrade from MF3 as the device will not accept it as the monotonic counter went up and cannot go backwards from this point. There would need to be some different kind of exploit to allow a custom recovery to be ran on MF3. If you change the boot loader in any way you the device will NOT accept it and you may be met with a hard brick. (Thanks @Aou)

This thread is a last cause to speak to get each and every developer and 'mastermind' to become Very encouraged to either unlock our devices permanently or Root and allow us to use custom recoveries just like the LOKI method did.

Root and Recovery Bounty

Requirements:

1. Be the first person to create or find a method to achieve the following:

Exploiting a fully stock UCUAMF3 build to get root and custom recoveries (loki or new method)

2. Make a post in this thread with the following:

• Proving it works with appropriate photos and/or screenshots
    Providing full step-by-step instructions for which anyone else can follow

3. Wait for at least one member to follow the same method and confirm it works the same on their fully stock device with UCUAMF3 build

4.Claim your bounty via PM from donator(s)

Payment will be processed between each member and the bounty collector via PM on an individual basis.

List Of Donators
  • Jetlitheone - 25
    Slade8525 - 50
    Tkinzle - 5
    Sblevine - 10
    Crash822 - 20
    jorgenask1986 - 20
    lyall29 - 10
    pixelsquish - 10
    Theoriginalgiga - 50
    Rastabolino - 20
    mocsab - 50
    JRogers1978 - 20
    Technyne - 50
    Djpuckett -10
    Tiptoekirk -20
    Bhp090808 -10
    z28tovette -5
    Joeybear23 - 10
    jeffreii -5
    sharjohn -10
    McAwesome -10
    NoobDude -10
    norbarb -10
    neil7398 -5
    sgandy2989 -5
    starxgamingx -100 ( For August )
    SaltyFoam -10
    fwb22 -20
    seanpr123 -10
    milkeeway -25
    troystan -20
    philemmons -5
    tcooper1 -10
    iceplayer929 -10

Total: 660$

Full Bootloader Unlock + Root/Recovery Bounty

Requirements:

1. Be the first person to create or find a method to achieve the following:

• Unlocking, exploiting, or patching the bootloader to get root and custom recovery (never yet achieved)

2. Make a post in this thread with the following:
  • Proving it works with appropriate photos and/or screenshots
  • Providing full step-by-step instructions for which anyone else can follow
3. Wait for at least one member to follow the same method and confirm it works the same on their fully stock device with UCUAMF3 build

4. Claim your bounty via PM from donator(s)

Payment will be processed between each member and the bounty collector via PM on an individual basis.

List Of Donators
  • Jetlitheone - 75
    Slade8525 - 50
    Tkinzle - 5
    Sblevine - 10
    Crash822 - 20
    lyall29 - 10
    Theoriginalgiga - 100
    Rastabolino - 20
    mocsab - 50 (100$ if both achieved!)
    JRogers1978 - 20
    Technyne - 50
    Djpuckett -10
    Tiptoekirk -20
    Bhp090808 - 10
    z28tovette - 5
    jeffreii - 5
    sd_N - 20
    sharjohn - 10
    McAwesome -10
    NoobDude -10
    norbarb -10
    neil7398 -5
    sgandy2989 -5
    blastagator -15
    SaltyFoam -10
    fwb22 -20
    seanpr123 -10
    rjbaker -50
    shremi -20
    newbie2006 -10
    milkeeway -25
    troystan -20
    philemmons -5
    tcooper1 -10
    eltonsl -20
    iceplayer929 -10

Total: 805$

Disclaimer:

[*]
Please note if you do not explicitly state separate prices for root/recovery and full bootloader unlock bounties, your contribution of the same price will be add to both lists.

[*]Please note you may not submit a contribution for only ONE bounty. If you post a contribution, one price will be applied to both bounties unless separate prices are explicitly stated.

[*]Please note you may not make any specific restrictions or requirements that aren't listed in the OP. By making a post with your contribution price you are agreeing to paying out based on all terms listed in OP only and nowhere else.

[*]Please note once you make a post with your contribution you may not withdraw it at any time and are responsible for paying out once the bounty is claimed. The only changes that can be made are another post raising the prices if you choose so. No exceptions!

[*]Please be advised that if AT&T or Samsung is to release an official method of unlocking the bootloader (extremely unlikely but must be accounted for) prior to any member of XDA's submission, this bounty automatically becomes invalidated.

Last edited:
J

jetlitheone

Puy your money where your mouth is people :p

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

tkienzle

Feb 9, 2008
Well I xan for syre do 5 bucks its not much but if it gets us root bootloader unlocked lets do it...

Wait does this work on active or only for regular?

If it works for active sweet if not then ehh buttttt you still got my 5 buck pledge...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using xda premium

Reactions: shbaldw and lyall29
J

jetlitheone

Thanks guys let's keep this going, now I won't be editing out all day since I work but I'll try doing it through mobile when I get the mobile and then fix it when I get home.

A.k.a total it out and such

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

mocsab

Aug 16, 2011
West Milwaukee
www.shimmeringglass.com
I do not need to unlock or re-root - I did not run the recent update and I remain happily rooted - but in the interests of helping future S4 owners and as form of protection for me if something happens and I have to replace my phone with a new one or something - I am willing to donate $50 each - one for Rooting and another $50 for a Bootloader unlock/exploit for a total contribution of $100.

It will be a happy day when I have to "write that check". :)

jcase

Retired Forum Mod / Senior Recognized Developer
Feb 20, 2010
Raleigh NC
Can someone link me to a full odin, or an OTA update for this so I can update my s4 to the "yet to be rooted" version?

Reactions: Febby and sd_N

soraxd

Jun 23, 2010
cleveland
you are asked NOT to make a pledge and then not pay when and/or if these methods become known.[/I]

orly?

905.png

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi guys, I know there is some interest in Safestrap here, and while I'm not posting too much to these forums (yet) I do plan on building a Safestrap for all of the locked S4s.

Some Notes:

Please be cautious when testing. The software is getting closer, its not quite there yet. And there is a potential for needing to ODIN restore to fix.

Also, a word about the bounty:
    I don't dev for bounties. I also will not stand for someone else posting in this thread "hey look! I found that Safestrap works on our device! I claim a bounty!"

If you want to donate to say thanks, after using Safestrap, I'm 100% ok with that.

DONT EVER DONATE TO DEVS BASED ON EXPECTATION. There are just too many unknowns in the world of smartphones.

Perhaps keep these bounties open for a full bootloader unlock.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
    Thread lightly cleaned...

To clarify ..

i337m bootloader is not locked folks...

no reason to be disrespectful to users who do not understand that.
    i337m bootloader does have a lock.
    337 and 337m are the same phone with a different country code. First time I rooted my s4 I accidentally turned it into an ATT phone.
    took me all day but I fount csc changer on google play and it worked when my phone was rooted and I changed it back to a koodo phone. btw I also went thru having it branded a rogers phone and some other country where the y and z are switched on the keyboard. so everyone use your loopholes to not pay anyone but senior members or use them to hang yourselves I don't care.

You need to be banned. The information you are spreading is inaccurate and potentially damaging. You were already told that the I337M has different firmware and boot-loader than the I337 (AT&T). Insulting other members will not change this fact.
    Looks like something major is happening in the Verizon thread
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2384222

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2421825

Hopefully once they get the safe strap working we can implement it into our att version and be able to do the same thing n maybe we can have a boot loader unlock exploit from this. Fingers crossed. Really great job from hash and obseidon for taking time out of their lives to figure this out and they don't even have s4's
    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using xda app-developers app
    I read the OP, but I did not read through this whole thread. Because of my recent experiences with the MF3 update, I can say that the OP requires some updating for clarification. I encourage you to read the following information I have gathered on the subject:
    • The MF3 update patched the Loki exploit that was in the MDB/MDL "aboot" part of the bootloader that Dan discovered/published.
    • The MF3 update patched the exploit that Dan's "motochopper" rooting method took advantage of.
    • The MF3 update indeed blew Qfuses (permanently increased the monotonic counter on an e-fuse) such that the device will refuse to accept, and refuse to boot any firmware that is older than MF3.
    • The bootloaders are digitally signed such that replacing them with custom code will cause them to fail to load - causing hard bricks if attempted.
    • Without a custom bootloader, we have no hope of ever running other native-linux operating systems, Windows, or IOS. Emulation and "chroot" methods might still exist, but these are not the same.
    • Normally, recovery images and Kernels are signed, and must be verified by "aboot" (the last stage of the bootloader) upon boot. This makes booting a custom recovery or custom ROM "impossible."
    • Previous to MF3, Dan's Loki exploit worked around a security flaw in aboot. His patch would be applied to a custom recovery or a custom Kernel to allow it to be accepted by aboot.
    • Obtaining root will NOT grant us a custom recovery. This would require a completely separate exploit that would be similar to an unlocked bootloader, or an otherwise an exploit around the locked bootloaders (like Loki).
    • If you're looking for fully unlocked bootloaders, you're looking for the ability to fundamentally change the operating system on this android device. Granted, this would also allow custom recovery, or custom roms.

I hope you find this information useful. Even more, I hope that a root for MF3 is found, for the benefit of everyone now stuck on MF3. It would be great to find a new exploit that allows custom recoveries and custom kernels again. But most important for me, would be unlocked bootloaders such that we can replace them with the bootloaders necessary to run things like native Ubuntu linux.