[REF] AOSP Boot on X2 part 4

Search This thread

mastafunk

Aug 31, 2011
Undisclosed Swamp Location, FL
Welcome back...

For those that havnt been following along here is the background...

Part 1 http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1366627
Part 2 http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1373026
Part 3 http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1380605

And this is where questions/speculations etc.. should go.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1372293

I have been real busy working on this trying to get some progress down.
There is a new alpha package for this @

http://iswarm.net/x2boot-alpha2.tgz

PLEASE DO NOT DISTRIBUTE THIS
It will be changing often and i dont want older versions floating around.
If you download your own and keep it to yourself people will always have the
newest version.

Please only mess with this if you know what you are doing.
I can and WILL NOT support it here in this thread.

Most of the action has been going down on IRC.
I have set up a new channel for this is in

#X2-AOSP on freenode

This thread is for the discussion of where to go next.. tricks, techniques to debugging a foreign ROM on our 2nd-init boot.

@ this point i have had varying success in booting cm7, still allot of bugs in logcat, and still getting a bootloop.

Please only chime in if you have any ideas or thoughts related to this.

You may be able to find support for the test package on IRC.

This thread is NOT for speculation, or questions.
This is NOT about replacing our kernel.

We really could use the help of some experienced dev's in this en-devour.

Thanks again for all the support and encouragement.

Hit the thanks button if ya like.. its free :)

It takes a good amount of knowledge to set up.
The more i have to help people with the basics the less time i have to work on this.
If you've got some skillz and can answer questions for folks then your help is needed and appreciated on IRC
To be honest if ya cant @ least get this setup without ALLOT of questions then you will be more of a hindrance then help in this process. Thats not to say we dont need testers.. just that the need for testers cant take all my time as then we will have no progress.

Last edited:

T3HBR1AN

Sep 18, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
Im comfortable with adb if someone could get me up to speed on what I'd be doing I'd be more than happy to help.

Im a bit of a Linux newb but I learn fast.

Sent from my Eclipsed and ICS themed X2.

Reactions: mkane848 and -Alex

jehelmer

Jun 10, 2008
greenville
I am considering getting rid of my x2 (1mos old) and getting something different. Do y'all think there is a pretty good chance we may see CM on the x2? This will really influence my decision whether I keep this phone. Im really dissapointed with the stock rom and available roms.

Sent from my DROID X2 using XDA App

Rebellos

Senior Recognized Developer
May 13, 2009
Gdańsk
Hey, I'd like to help abit. However - I don't actually get the point - What is the problem? I can't clearly figure it out from first 10 posts of all threads linked, I don't have X2 unfortunately, and don't feel like reading 300+posts from all threads. I can only guess you're on similiar point as we are with Badadroid.

For me running custom ROM (own kernel build+platform) looks like:
- compile kernel with needed changes (or own ARMLinux port based on CodeAurora or AOSP kernel and stock released sources)
- compile AOSP or manufacturer based platform
- adjust initramfs to match device layout, loading proprietary libraries if needed, consider using AOSP init or manufacturer init binary
- put it together and boot

Correct me if you need to and tell me try to tell me where are you stuck.Try to explain current problem in one of the threads and post all logs you can get. What about UART logs? These are very, very helpful (if not mandatory, unless you're freakin development master) in early kernel/bootloader development.

I'll pay a visit to your IRC soon.

//edit:
Okay, guys on IRC explained me abit, still counting on some logs. :)

Last edited:

samcripp

Retired Recognized Developer
May 20, 2010
Sanford
Hey, how are you guys!?

So there's a few roadways you guys should explore. First and foremost work on some sort of bootstrap cwm. So you guys can gain access to pseudo-roms.

Quickly as possible begin looking into kexec or 2nd init.

and for the long term look into bootloader unlocks from the test servers. me if you need help!

Reactions: Xb0i and mkane848

donlad

Sep 23, 2010
So there's a few roadways you guys should explore. First and foremost work on some sort of bootstrap cwm. So you guys can gain access to pseudo-roms.

Quickly as possible begin looking into kexec or 2nd init.

and for the long term look into bootloader unlocks from the test servers. me if you need help!

We have had a bootstrap for many months and already have pseudo-roms, and they've already got a working 2nd-init.

Now they're working on getting an AOSP/CM7 ROM to boot.

Jubomime

Dec 9, 2011
Bsr's? Kexec? 2nd init?!! Guys! Why haven't we tried this?! Rofl. We could totally get some blur based roms going . We could make up some cool names like "Eclipse", or "Liberty" or something!

Sent from my DROID X2 using xda premium

Reactions: soocold

Tweek900

Nov 15, 2011
Not doing it unless there's some cool rom named something hot like molten or something.

Sent from my DROID X2 using XDA App

skwoodwiva

Apr 24, 2011
Is this realty a different cwr? Could it help you guys?
From my post:
Snip
I noticed after uninstalling system recovery that it still worked w/ a battery pull. I remember now where the /preinstall files must have come from: I was fooling w/ rom manager as I was going to sbf anyway and I downloaded and booted as many recoveries as I could until I crashed. I crashed on the Atrix but think it was the Dx regular (not 2nd init) that loaded.
Snip
1)paste to /preinstall: the 5 files and set perms to rwxrwxrwx but adbd: rw-rw-rw-.
2)Change charge_only_mode ( your original in system/bin) to .bak. Then paste the 2 /bin files (less the .not file) set perms to rwxrwxrwx.
3)Then .recovery_mode goes in /data perms to rw-rw-rw-. Power off. Pull battery and put it back in. Plug in. CWR!

Edit: this is the regular cwr not the Tenfar's edition, it there is a difference IDNK.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1408546

aceoyame

Retired Recognized Developer
Jul 14, 2009
Is this realty a different cwr? Could it help you guys?
From my post:
Snip
I noticed after uninstalling system recovery that it still worked w/ a battery pull. I remember now where the /preinstall files must have come from: I was fooling w/ rom manager as I was going to sbf anyway and I downloaded and booted as many recoveries as I could until I crashed. I crashed on the Atrix but think it was the Dx regular (not 2nd init) that loaded.
Snip
1)paste to /preinstall: the 5 files and set perms to rwxrwxrwx but adbd: rw-rw-rw-.
2)Change charge_only_mode ( your original in system/bin) to .bak. Then paste the 2 /bin files (less the .not file) set perms to rwxrwxrwx.
3)Then .recovery_mode goes in /data perms to rw-rw-rw-. Power off. Pull battery and put it back in. Plug in. CWR!

Edit: this is the regular cwr not the Tenfar's edition, it there is a difference IDNK.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1408546

That very well could help. The eventual goal is to change USB Early Enum to boot into CWR and then normal boot (2nd init) into your rom. The current one is sorta working with it but we do not have adb in it.

skwoodwiva

Apr 24, 2011
aceoyame 787,756 bytes both files: "recovery" from unzipped update-recovery.zip in PI or our apk.

samari71

Jan 25, 2009
hey guys i know this is probably a stupid question but couldnt there be a way to port the xoom ics rom to droid x2 they basicly have the same processor dont they

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Welcome back...

For those that havnt been following along here is the background...

Part 1 http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1366627
    Part 2 http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1373026
    Part 3 http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1380605

And this is where questions/speculations etc.. should go.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1372293

I have been real busy working on this trying to get some progress down.
    There is a new alpha package for this @

http://iswarm.net/x2boot-alpha2.tgz

PLEASE DO NOT DISTRIBUTE THIS
    It will be changing often and i dont want older versions floating around.
    If you download your own and keep it to yourself people will always have the
    newest version.

Please only mess with this if you know what you are doing.
    I can and WILL NOT support it here in this thread.

Most of the action has been going down on IRC.
    I have set up a new channel for this is in

#X2-AOSP on freenode

This thread is for the discussion of where to go next.. tricks, techniques to debugging a foreign ROM on our 2nd-init boot.

@ this point i have had varying success in booting cm7, still allot of bugs in logcat, and still getting a bootloop.

Please only chime in if you have any ideas or thoughts related to this.

You may be able to find support for the test package on IRC.

This thread is NOT for speculation, or questions.
    This is NOT about replacing our kernel.

We really could use the help of some experienced dev's in this en-devour.

Thanks again for all the support and encouragement.

Hit the thanks button if ya like.. its free :)

It takes a good amount of knowledge to set up.
    The more i have to help people with the basics the less time i have to work on this.
    If you've got some skillz and can answer questions for folks then your help is needed and appreciated on IRC
    To be honest if ya cant @ least get this setup without ALLOT of questions then you will be more of a hindrance then help in this process. Thats not to say we dont need testers.. just that the need for testers cant take all my time as then we will have no progress.
    Not sure if you guys heard yet, but I just got offered a job and when I start I will be getting a bit more active again.
    Starting to feel pretty alone in this. Are there no others out there with an x2 with some linux experience who knows their way around an adb shell, that can help?

Hey I'm back in business here! You and I can start working on something :D
    I'm cool with running commands in adb and collecting logs.
    Hey, I'd like to help abit. However - I don't actually get the point - What is the problem? I can't clearly figure it out from first 10 posts of all threads linked, I don't have X2 unfortunately, and don't feel like reading 300+posts from all threads. I can only guess you're on similiar point as we are with Badadroid.

For me running custom ROM (own kernel build+platform) looks like:
    - compile kernel with needed changes (or own ARMLinux port based on CodeAurora or AOSP kernel and stock released sources)
    - compile AOSP or manufacturer based platform
    - adjust initramfs to match device layout, loading proprietary libraries if needed, consider using AOSP init or manufacturer init binary
    - put it together and boot

Correct me if you need to and tell me try to tell me where are you stuck.Try to explain current problem in one of the threads and post all logs you can get. What about UART logs? These are very, very helpful (if not mandatory, unless you're freakin development master) in early kernel/bootloader development.

I'll pay a visit to your IRC soon.

//edit:
    Okay, guys on IRC explained me abit, still counting on some logs. :)