Redirect GPS data to USB port, use w/ laptop?

Search This thread

ccopelan

Dec 11, 2007
For all you genius software / hardware hackers on the board: Is it possible to write a program that will "pick up" the GPS data from and then feed that data to the USB port (or BT) in a standard GPS data stream, so that the Mogul can be utilized as an external GPS for a laptop? Since one of the GPS configuration options is to "Allow Windows to manage GPS", and doing so allows multiple programs to access the data simultaneously (i.e. Google Maps and TeleNav) it would seem to me that it's possible to write a piece of software that can request the GPS data from WM and then open the USB port and stream the data out. Having GPS on the Mogul itself is great, but it would be even more valuable if it could be tethered as an external GPS device. Any programmers want to take a stab at this?

ccopelan

Dec 11, 2007
Looks like there is an API for GPS, and some information out there on how to utilize it. See http://www.codeplex.com/gpstracker for a project that collects GPS data from an internal or external GPS and then uploads the data to a server. Seems like a simple enough matter to do the same thing but redirect to USB instead of upload to server. Maybe the code for this project would be a good jumping off point. Also, the "Embedded Windows Mobile GPS" forum at mobilitytoday.com might be a good resource.

AstronusX

Jul 14, 2006
Check out GpsGate , it can redirect gps port to different port like tcp,udp,bluetooth,activesyn (could be this). You have to test it out to see whether it work.

TalynOne

Jun 25, 2007
Also checkout the free GPS2Blue.

From the webpage:
This GPS-PDA utility has several features. It transforms your PocketPC into an external bluetooth GPS receiver, allowing you to use it with your laptop PC or any other device which can use a bluetooth GPS. Since version 1.4, GPS2Blue also allows to redirect GPS data to a TCP/IP port. It can also log to a file the data received from the GPS. Another feature is the PDA clock adjustment based on the precise GPS satellites clock. Finally, for Tomtom 5 (or 6) users, you can create a new POI from coordinates.

Be sure to check out the section titled How to use with TCP/IP over USB?

Last edited:

bassoprofundo

Feb 21, 2006
I just managed to get this going with my Kaiser over TCPIP using GPS2Blue & HW VSP. MS Streets & Trips 2008 sees it as a GPS and reads the data. Pretty cool...

Last edited:

DJwa163

Dec 26, 2008
Nowheredam
www.ipmart-forum.com
I just managed to get this going with my Kaiser over TCPIP using GPS2Blue & HW VSP. MS Streets & Trips 2008 sees it as a GPS and reads the data. Pretty cool...

All you need is up HERE

icon1.gif
[*UPDATED*] How to the PPC as an External GPS Receiver for a Laptop