[Magisk][Samsung][Discussion] Thread about Samsung Device Compatibility

Search This thread

Tkkg1994

Inactive Recognized Developer / Contributor
Jun 10, 2014
Coding City
Magisk on Samsung Devices
We will discuss Magisk compatibility on any Samsung device here

Hello all together! Since @topjohnwu has got his own Magisk Thread (Congratulations for this, big step forward man!) for discussing magisk related topics, he everyone to make a support forum specific to devices.
So, since I own a Samsung device (and quite interested in using magisk) I will start here with a new Samsung related forum. I hope others will follow my example soon.

What should I post?
- Magisk related Questions on Samsung devices
- Problems accuring after flashing Magisk
- Your general Feedback/Experience about Magisk
- If something don't work, please attach logs to help!

What should NOT be posted?
- Questions about new versions (which are not out yet)
- General ETA
- Please fix this and this without info and logs

Current Magisk status:
Phones:
- GT-I9100: Confirmed not working!
- GT-I9505: Working with CUSTOM kernel, not tested on STOCK kernel
- GT-N7105: Working with CUSTOM kernel, not tested on STOCK kernel
- SM-G900F/FD/V: Works with CUSTOM kernel, works with STOCK kernel
- SM-G900H: Works with CUSTOM kernel, not tested with STOCK kernel
- SM-G920F/FD/I/T, SM-G925F/FD/I/T: Working with CUSTOM kernel, working with STOCK kernel
- SM-G930F/FD/W8, SM-G935F/FD/W8: Working with CUSTOM kernel, not tested on STOCK kernel
- SM-J320F: Not tested with CUSTOM kernel, works with STOCK kernel
- SM-N900T: Not tested with CUSTOM kernel, works with STOCK kernel
- SM-N910C/W8: Not tested with CUSTOM kernel, works with STOCK kernel
- SM-N910U: Not tested with CUSTOM kernel, works with STOCK kernel
- SM-N930F/FD: Working with CUSTOM kernel, not working with STOCK kernel
Tablets:
- SM-T700/T705/T800/T805: Working with CUSTOM kernel, not working with STOCK kernel
More to come, post your working magisk configurations below!

Looking forward to discuss with you guys, enjoy!

Last edited:

inteks

Oct 14, 2006
Samsung Galaxy S9+
Samsung Galaxy S10+
V7 is not even out...

Yes it does, but it requires a custom kernel (if you want as close to stock as possible take the SuperStock G935F)
It works without custom kernel! You have to root with cf auto root. Then unroot with supersu but dont restore original boot.img! It seems that magisk at least needs a custom boot.img....

Gesendet von meinem SM-G935F mit Tapatalk

Tkkg1994

Jun 10, 2014
Coding City
It works without custom kernel! You have to root with cf auto root. Then unroot with supersu but dont restore original boot.img! It seems that magisk at least needs a custom boot.img....

Gesendet von meinem SM-G935F mit Tapatalk
Supersu does modify the sepolicy. So that's the trick, nice to know!
Will this be compatible with "G935FXXU1BPHC"
Thanks Tkkg. do you have link/steps how to root using Magisk method.
Uninstall supersu, flash magisk, flash magisk compatible phh root

Sent from my SuperMan powered SM-G930F

rxk

Apr 9, 2010
Supersu does modify the sepolicy. So that's the trick, nice to know!

Uninstall supersu, flash magisk, flash magisk compatible phh root

Uninstall from Application manager?
I tried Full unroot within supersu setting menu but after restart, boot loop happened.

I tried flashing SuperStock G935F but I have trouble using TWRP. unable to mount \data.

my steps:
1. Flash original stock firmware using odin
2. Flash twrp using odin
3. Flash SuperStock G935F using TWRP <--- this step i encounter problem unable to mount \data

please help

Tkkg1994

Jun 10, 2014
Coding City
Uninstall from Application manager?
I tried Full unroot within supersu setting menu but after restart, boot loop happened.

I tried flashing SuperStock G935F but I have trouble using TWRP. unable to mount \data.

my steps:
1. Flash original stock firmware using odin
2. Flash twrp using odin
3. Flash SuperStock G935F using TWRP <--- this step i encounter problem unable to mount \data

please help
That is another problem. Related to encryption you have on your phone

Tkkg1994

Jun 10, 2014
Coding City
Okay, let's make a list of working devices (compatible with magisk) with stock rom, custom etc. So please post all infos about which device you got magisk working, thank you

Tkkg1994

Jun 10, 2014
Coding City

Tkbf

Oct 30, 2010
Taipei
Note 4 N910U, stock MM 6.0.1 PH1 installed Phh's superuser, Magisk V6, and topjohnwu's Xposed 86.5, all working flawlessly here.
Custom kernel is not installed as AP is not currently available in the region I reside, and not interested in PKM, so stock kernel fit my requirement well.

Last edited:

rtorres01

Sep 29, 2015
I'm trying to use desesperadamete magisk in a note 4 N910C custom rom / android 5.1 kernel but get no root access. Agleum could give me a light?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Magisk on Samsung Devices
    We will discuss Magisk compatibility on any Samsung device here

Hello all together! Since @topjohnwu has got his own Magisk Thread (Congratulations for this, big step forward man!) for discussing magisk related topics, he everyone to make a support forum specific to devices.
    So, since I own a Samsung device (and quite interested in using magisk) I will start here with a new Samsung related forum. I hope others will follow my example soon.

What should I post?
    - Magisk related Questions on Samsung devices
    - Problems accuring after flashing Magisk
    - Your general Feedback/Experience about Magisk
    - If something don't work, please attach logs to help!

What should NOT be posted?
    - Questions about new versions (which are not out yet)
    - General ETA
    - Please fix this and this without info and logs

Current Magisk status:
    Phones:
    - GT-I9100: Confirmed not working!
    - GT-I9505: Working with CUSTOM kernel, not tested on STOCK kernel
    - GT-N7105: Working with CUSTOM kernel, not tested on STOCK kernel
    - SM-G900F/FD/V: Works with CUSTOM kernel, works with STOCK kernel
    - SM-G900H: Works with CUSTOM kernel, not tested with STOCK kernel
    - SM-G920F/FD/I/T, SM-G925F/FD/I/T: Working with CUSTOM kernel, working with STOCK kernel
    - SM-G930F/FD/W8, SM-G935F/FD/W8: Working with CUSTOM kernel, not tested on STOCK kernel
    - SM-J320F: Not tested with CUSTOM kernel, works with STOCK kernel
    - SM-N900T: Not tested with CUSTOM kernel, works with STOCK kernel
    - SM-N910C/W8: Not tested with CUSTOM kernel, works with STOCK kernel
    - SM-N910U: Not tested with CUSTOM kernel, works with STOCK kernel
    - SM-N930F/FD: Working with CUSTOM kernel, not working with STOCK kernel
    Tablets:
    - SM-T700/T705/T800/T805: Working with CUSTOM kernel, not working with STOCK kernel
    More to come, post your working magisk configurations below!

Looking forward to discuss with you guys, enjoy!
    I'm just curious why Magisk takes heat in the form of negative feedback/criticism on either Play store or here. Its no secret how developer unfriendly Samsung has become. Device bootloaders have been locked and KNOX'd since Galaxy S5 (last device I owned, S4). Point being, it's nothing new, if you're purchasing a Samsung device, you're making a very conscious, binary choice, that you don't care about playing god with these phones. Everyone has their own uses for any particular device.
    Why is it then, you're entitled to (or think you are), to criticize the app, or leave any negative feedback of any sort? You wanna buy a Samsung, fine, nobody's stopping you; but then you give up all privs/rights to even have an opinion on anything power user related, whether it be Xposed, any of its modules, or the Magisk project, or any project really that has its scope or any functionality resembling it. You paid for the device, knowing Samsung has it locked down tighter than any nun walking the earth, and yet somehow the app developer is at some fault?
    Phone enthusiasts/geeks already know before purchasing the phone,--WELL IN ADVANCE--the type of "playing" they'll be doing, there is just no excuse at all, for keeping up on current events/developments in the community regarding root and systemless toys, and then going out and buying a Samsung.
    Bootloader exploits aren't very common, just how much has the situation evolved on the Samsung front? S5 gets bootloader unlock some 3yrs after its flagship release, with multiple newer generation galaxy's available; and the rest remain useless as ever, in this context.
    Not trolling anyone, not blaming anyone, not hostile. Just trying to understand why any person who knows anything about acquiring root, or anything about bootloaders in general, ultimately allowing/denying you access to do certain things to YOUR device, why then did you buy a Samsung, and how is it you wound up leaving criticism to Magisk, be it play store or forum?
    Its kind of ashame that this is somewhat downplayed here, XDA should do more to point users in the direction of avoiding such harsh, extreme, developer unfriendly manufacturers & their devices. Either way, it is not "fair" for anybody to have a $500+ device, which the user does not truly own, it's simply on a rental system, privilege-wise, at best.
    Developers of any and all power toys, mods, etc. should not be subject to any opinion whatsoever, of any user with a Samsung device. Binary choice made by the user, nothing grey area about it.
    I foud a solution : Magisk-v12 (beta version) works fine !!!
    You can download Magisk-v12-170327.zip from here : https://github.com/stangri/MagiskFiles
    You can flash it with TWRP over version 11.1 or from scratch on a fresh stock nougat ROM...
    You can download MagiskManager-v5.0-170322.apk (beta version) here : https://github.com/stangri/MagiskFiles
    FYI I already tested the upgrade with MagiskManager-v5 from Magisk-v12-170327 to Magisk-v12-170328 : works fine too !!!

screen13.jpg
    screen14.jpg
    screen15.jpg

Official magisk V12 will be released soon with many fixes for samsung devices
    While installing superstock 2.3 there was nothing no option of kernels, do i have to explicitly flash it? can you give me a link.
    Hmm but this has nothing to do with magisk I assume :)
    Any one help me... I use Superman rom 1.19 After fresh install on stock kernel safety net is on green and all pass :)
    After install magisk 10.2 and hide magisk safety net is on blue and dont pass. After install fresh sauperman 1.19 on superstock kernel safety net dont pass cts is red.. after install magisk 10.2 and hide magisk on super kernel still safety net is on red. How properly install magisk on SuperMan rom 1.19 with magisk for safety net pass green ?
    Currently magisk hide does not work on samsung due to some namespace modifications. Means you can only pass safetynet on enforcing kernel (like stock, NOT custom) and WITHOUT any root method installed. Like you also mentioned above. We need to wait for topjohnwu to make magiskhide working on samsung as well
    So is v7 going to be working with s5 for instance i cannot get v6 working
    V7 is not even out...
    Is magisk works on S7 edge (G935F)
    Yes it does, but it requires a custom kernel (if you want as close to stock as possible take the SuperStock G935F)