[ROM]Liberated Aria 2.2.2

Search This thread

Gene Poole

Jul 15, 2010
Brighton IL
Liberated Aria 2.2.2 final

This is a moderately modified version of the stock HTC Aria AT&T Android 2.2.2 ROM. It has root, busybox, ro.secure=0 and some nice root utils (Superuser, etc.) and the stupid AT&T bloat has been removed. It also features a kernel that supports overclocking and has a few other tweaks to make it more efficient. This is a great rooted replacement for the stock ROM if you like HTC Sense, otherwise, Cyanogen has a very good CM7 version for the aria. You might like that better.

At this point in time, it is unlikely that HTC will offer any official updates for Aria. I consider Aria orphaned by HTC and this is probably going to be my last "Liberated" update for the Aria unless some bugs are found in this release.

[update] 11-Jan-2012: No CIQ in this ROM.

http://hoxnet.com/droid/hoxnet_aria_liberated_final.zip
MD5: 9f94eabd90d08563397bb26d95a859d0

Copy this to your SDCard and install via recovery. All caveats apply: backup with nandroid and titanium first. Delete cache and dalvik. Should install fine over existing data partitions, but it never hurts to have a titanium backup of your market apps to be sure.

Some users are having issues with installing this over an existing FR008 or R012. I have tried it several ways and it has worked for me, but if you get a boot loop, then you will probably have to do a data wipe to get this to work. If you must wipe data, you can use Market apps like MyBackup, Titanium Backup or Astro to backup all your apps to minimize the fallout from a data wipe.

Last edited:

tpbklake

Aug 1, 2007
I don't know if ATTN1 is going to get us a decent liberated 2.2 based ROM anytime soon, but I've managed to get together a basically stock ROM based on the newest HTC release today. It's been properly rooted with Superuser.apk and /system/bin/su as well as busybox. It's just the system partition and seems to work out fine with my existing FR008 data partition so you should be able to keep all your apps as is, but do a nandroid and a Titanium backup to be sure.

I've also used the hoxnet OC kernel with this ROM and it works out OK as-is.

I threw this together pretty quick just to get it out there in the wild so feel free to critique it for improvements.

I'm uploading it to my hosting service and as soon as it's uploaded, I'll post a link.

Thanks Gene, you are the man! I'm in the process of downloading all the HTC Kitchen bits to start trying to play with it myself.

Sep 30, 2010
can anyone confirm if they configured adobe to work with Aria Froyo? I know it doesn't work for the new HTC Gratia so I was just wondering. Thanks

jdwhite87

Nov 27, 2010
tuscaloosa, al
I don't know if ATTN1 is going to get us a decent liberated 2.2 based ROM anytime soon, but I've managed to get together a basically stock ROM based on the newest HTC release today. It's been properly rooted with Superuser.apk and /system/bin/su as well as busybox. It's just the system partition and seems to work out fine with my existing FR008 data partition so you should be able to keep all your apps as is, but do a nandroid and a Titanium backup to be sure.

I've also used the hoxnet OC kernel with this ROM and it works out OK as-is.

I threw this together pretty quick just to get it out there in the wild so feel free to critique it for improvements.

http://hoxnet.com/droid/hoxnet_liberated_hfr001b.zip

I'm sure that technically attn1 is still the lead aria dev but I really think that the inspire is his main focus now. Just keep on with what you're doing. And if you ever need a really brave but maybe a little bit green tester... I'm your man ;)

bunky213

Nov 17, 2010
Running your ROM, and all seems well so far! I upgraded from 2.1, didn't wipe data (just dalvik) and everything was there just like it was.

I see that there is now an option for installing non market apps in the app settings area.

Also ended up with more free space :-D

Looking forward to playing with everything!

Thanks for getting this out!

Edit: only problem so far is the darn market-google-not trusting-htc/att-fingerprint that was seen in the previous update. so I can't see the protected apps. not the rom's fault though.

Any trusted fingerprints out there for this version? does the version matter? should I just put the original 2.1 pre-all updates fingerprint back?
Sent from my HTC Aria using XDA App

Last edited:

Gene Poole

Jul 15, 2010
Brighton IL
So I installed this with a full wipe on my wife's phone and I'm surprised that all the neat features that the Gratia had seem to be available in this version stock. Sideloading, wired Tether, hotspot. I thought I'd be working hard to port over the stuff we want from the Gratia/FRxxx. Am I missing something here, or is AT&T finally being a decent carrier? Does anyone know anyone who did the full RUU update?

attn1

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 18, 2010
So I installed this with a full wipe on my wife's phone and I'm surprised that all the neat features that the Gratia had seem to be available in this version stock. Sideloading, wired Tether, hotspot. I thought I'd be working hard to port over the stuff we want from the Gratia/FRxxx. Am I missing something here, or is AT&T finally being a decent carrier? Does anyone know anyone who did the full RUU update?

You still have all that because you didn't wipe data/factory reset. In stock trim, a clean install with this rom will result in disabled sideloading, and it will set up a proxy in the APN that with require a tethering plan to use tethering features.

AT&T is still up to it's tricks.

Gene Poole

Jul 15, 2010
Brighton IL
You still have all that because you didn't wipe data/factory reset. In stock trim, a clean install with this rom will result in disabled sideloading, and it will set up a proxy in the APN that with require a tethering plan to use tethering features.

AT&T is still up to it's tricks.

But I did do a data wipe/factory reset on my wife's phone--at least I think I did. It came up with the HTC setup wizard just like a full wipe.

attn1

Mar 18, 2010
But I did do a data wipe/factory reset on my wife's phone--at least I think I did. It came up with the HTC setup wizard just like a full wipe.

Well, when I installed a stock version of the release, the sideloading checkbox was disabled. So we have some oddness here.

I think you can get around the tethering plan issue by setting up a new custom APN without the new "proxy" settings pointing to AT&T's proxy. You can't just delete the setting in the provided default APN because it's locked.

We'll see how long that little hack lasts - they could require that proxy setting for data to work at all in the future, and that would kill free tethering on even unbranded firmware.

So far, I am not impressed with this official 2.2.2 AT&T ROM release at all. It gets us nothing and the branding tricks run even deeper.

I've been following your kernel work. Nice work there.

Last edited:

Gene Poole

Jul 15, 2010
Brighton IL
Thanks. I'm with you on this. It doesn't give us anything that wasn't already in FR008. I haven't tried the radio image yet. Anything to be gained (or lost) there? Also, I'm thinking of doing the full RUU for testing. If I do, can I still run the older RUU exe to put it back to a version that I can root with unrevoked, or will a RUU exe run over a newer version (or does it even check)?

attn1

Mar 18, 2010
Thanks. I'm with you on this. It doesn't give us anything that wasn't already in FR008. I haven't tried the radio image yet. Anything to be gained (or lost) there? Also, I'm thinking of doing the full RUU for testing. If I do, can I still run the older RUU exe to put it back to a version that I can root with unrevoked, or will a RUU exe run over a newer version (or does it even check)?

No, please don't do that (install the new update unmodified). You will end up with a device you can't put custom recovery on. The newer hboots closes the old nand exploit, and you can't downgrade it. You won't be able to get to custom recovery again, in which case, you'd better really be liking the new stock ROM.

on the radio; I don't know, I flashed it because I can. I really didn't see anything earth-quaking yet. We should probably bundle it up so people can flash that without going to the updated and losing custom ROM capability.

Last edited:

terwine

Jul 14, 2010
York
What do you think the chances are that they'll crack the new hboot? I will be very dissapointed if new HTC devices become un-rootable/extremely hard to root.

Sent from my Liberty using XDA App

attn1

Mar 18, 2010
What do you think the chances are that they'll crack the new hboot? I will be very dissapointed if new HTC devices become un-rootable/extremely hard to root.

Sent from my Liberty using XDA App

50/50? Newer, hotter devices will always get more attention and maybe this hboot will get a trickle down benefit from that - but then again, maybe not.

loursonbrun

Oct 21, 2010
Gene,

thank you for such a great contribution; just a quick question: how did you manage to extract the contents out of the .exe file ?

fader01

Mar 22, 2010
Gene,

thank you for such a great contribution; just a quick question: how did you manage to extract the contents out of the .exe file ?

When you run the exe they extract to a folder in your temp folder. clear out your temp folder then run the exe and you will see the extracted contents (like the rom.zip) in the folder.

At least this is what I did for my Incredible, I doubt they changed it up any.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Liberated Aria 2.2.2 final

This is a moderately modified version of the stock HTC Aria AT&T Android 2.2.2 ROM. It has root, busybox, ro.secure=0 and some nice root utils (Superuser, etc.) and the stupid AT&T bloat has been removed. It also features a kernel that supports overclocking and has a few other tweaks to make it more efficient. This is a great rooted replacement for the stock ROM if you like HTC Sense, otherwise, Cyanogen has a very good CM7 version for the aria. You might like that better.

At this point in time, it is unlikely that HTC will offer any official updates for Aria. I consider Aria orphaned by HTC and this is probably going to be my last "Liberated" update for the Aria unless some bugs are found in this release.

[update] 11-Jan-2012: No CIQ in this ROM.

http://hoxnet.com/droid/hoxnet_aria_liberated_final.zip
    MD5: 9f94eabd90d08563397bb26d95a859d0

Copy this to your SDCard and install via recovery. All caveats apply: backup with nandroid and titanium first. Delete cache and dalvik. Should install fine over existing data partitions, but it never hurts to have a titanium backup of your market apps to be sure.

Some users are having issues with installing this over an existing FR008 or R012. I have tried it several ways and it has worked for me, but if you get a boot loop, then you will probably have to do a data wipe to get this to work. If you must wipe data, you can use Market apps like MyBackup, Titanium Backup or Astro to backup all your apps to minimize the fallout from a data wipe.
    OP updated. New ROM released.
    New ROM is up (posted in the first post of this thread). Let me know how it works out. This may be the last beta.
    Slight misunderstanding.
    I was saying that what I was experiencing corroborates your post here:
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=11737468&postcount=49
    as well as tpbklake's post here:
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=11737669&postcount=50

Coming from CM7, I made sure to wipe everything--even did it all 2x b/c of the USB cable thing--and "untrusted sources" and Wireless Tether were options upon first boot! I was aware of the settings patch and the APN thing, but didn't need either.

I should have been clearer about the FCs. They were only on Google Apps, and I now realized, directly as a result of flashing Gapps.

So, something is going on and it can't just be user error. I know all 3 of us have flashed more than a few ROMs and know how to wipe properly.

I'm still confused. What IS happening and what are you expecting to happen?

My first posting of a "liberated" ROM based on HTC 2.2.2 RUU (hoxnet_liberated_hfr001b.zip) was not really anything but a "stock" version that could be applied without the new HBOOT that renders your phone unrootable.

The second (hoxnet_liberated_hfr002b.zip), was more in the "liberated" tradition of ATTN1 whereby AT$T bloat was removed, Settings.apk and framework-res.apk were patched so that tethering and sideloading were supported.

Both would install over existing R012 and/or FR008 or from a clean wipe (but not any of the CM ROMs apparently). If installed over an existing version, all settings and apps are retained. If installed from a clean wipe, 001b would install just like the stock AT$T with sideloading disabled and tethering gimped whereas 002b would "liberate" these options. In the case of 002b, it was found that the Settings.apk fix caused problems with the wifi settings and so I added the patch to replace it with the original Settings.apk. I kept the 002b and the setting patch separate so that one could still install 002b on a data-wiped device and get the "liberated" features, then install the patch to fix the wifi issues. You retain ALL the "liberated" features after installing the settings patch.

With luck, I should be able to work out a 003b sometime that has all the "liberated" functionality but doesn't require the multiple steps.

So if there's any confusion, here's the steps to install this:

1. Upgrading from R012, FR008, or stock rooted 2.1:

a. boot to clockwork recovery
    b. Install hoxnet_liberated_hfr002b.zip
    c. while still in clockwork, install update_settings_apk_222.zip
    d. reboot and have fun.
    2. From a complete data wipe:

a. boot to clockwork recovery
    b. Install hoxnet_liberated_hfr002b.zip
    c. reboot phone and follow all steps in the setup wizard.
    d. reboot to recovery.
    e. install update_settings_apk_222.zip
    f. reboot and have fun.

Edit: updated the first post with this information as well.
    For anyone concerned, here's a flashable zip with the original radio.img as shipped by HTC for the Aria:

http://hoxnet.com/droid/update_HTC_Aria_for_ATT_original_2.1_Radio_Image.zip