Share you opinion about Chromecast expectations

Search This thread

king.james

Nov 4, 2010
I really want to see chromecast added into MX Player. It would be much more convenient and less troublesome. I have used the built-in Google application and All Cast Pro to stream my MX player videos, but MX Player plays so many formats and it would be such a wonderful add on to be able to cast directly from the Application. I would even be willing to pay for an add on or plug in for this option if it were seamless.

Thirumalai.K

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 14, 2011
I really want to see chromecast added into MX Player. It would be much more convenient and less troublesome. I have used the built-in Google application and All Cast Pro to stream my MX player videos, but MX Player plays so many formats and it would be such a wonderful add on to be able to cast directly from the Application. I would even be willing to pay for an add on or plug in for this option if it were seamless.

Hi,

Chromecast supports only limited formats.
When MX Player runs on an android device it can make use of FFmpeg to decode the unsupported formats which may not be possible with chrome cast. The only option at the moment is transcoding the video real time in a supported format which is very difficult to achieve real-time when it comes to mobile devices. It needs huge CPU power. Moreover, it may fry down your CPU and will drain the battery faster.

Our team is still researching to find a way to support unsupported formats. We will try to bring basic chrome cast functionalities first. We will try to extend the functionalities if we can find a workaround for the issues.

Reactions: bodhisattvah

pspatel5258

Oct 6, 2017
some video not supported

In my Xperia m dual my marriage videos are supporting in previous mx player but after last two updates mx player it is not supporting it is asking mpeg2video not supported so please make new update mx player to support this mpeg2 file

sash11

Sep 30, 2011
It does look like the Chromecast support if/when it finally comes will be very limited to the media types that Chromecast supports. That's why I have given up on waiting and have been using Plex in my home. Phone app has a built-in support for Chromecast and all transcoding is done on the Plex server side.

Thirumalai.K

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 14, 2011
It does look like the Chromecast support if/when it finally comes will be very limited to the media types that Chromecast supports. That's why I have given up on waiting and have been using Plex in my home. Phone app has a built-in support for Chromecast and all transcoding is done on the Plex server side.

Chromecast supports only limited formats & video profiles. Transcoding on a mobile device will be extremely slow & can't be used for real-time casting. Currently, We are researching for the other possibilities. At the beginning, only basic casting support will be implemented.

EmuAGR

Sep 24, 2016
I want it just the way VLC does cast. I cannot set the screen of my phone black (with Blackr app) with just screen mirroring, that sends black to the TV. But VLC detects somehow I'm casting my screen and splits the view like if I had a second non-cloned screen and it sends there the fullscreen clean video in real time.

Also, I'm not using Chromecast, I use Smart View between a Samsung phone and a Samsung TV. I don't really know if that feature relies on Miracast.

Last edited:

terry19k0

Dec 14, 2017
The BIG problem

The BIG problem with chromecast is the processor speed has to be over 2ghz on your computer.

VivaErBetis

Nov 26, 2006
Madrid (Spain)
Well, I used the mirroring feature from my mobile to the chromecast and it works well. So, why I want direct chromecast support in MX Player?

Let me give an example from other video related app: AceStream. This app gives chromecast support in the way that while the video is being played in the chromecast it's not necessarily shown in the mobile screen so you can use your mobile for whatever you want while video is playing in chromecast.

Apart from this MX Player should transcode to a chromecast supported format any video/audio in a format not directly supported by chromecast.

Thanks and best regards.

Last edited:

mksteve

Jan 13, 2018
  • Have you you ever used Cast feature provided in Android itself? Even with that You can still cast your screen & audio using Google Home.

I tried video cast on my NVidia shield. The sound was very stuttery and the connection low stability. Also other devices I have don't always allow the screen casting.

• What's the advantage of separate chromecast option over the android's inbuilt cast feature

Separate cast allows the screen to go off, and you cast the raw data (MP3/MP4 etc), rather than an on-the-fly capture of the screen. This means the device can have a different UI - more intrusive media buttons, without impacting the visual experience of the chromecast display.

• If you are not using/intrested Android's Cast feature, what's method you are using to play with chromecast?

Umm I wrote an app (Cast a Lot), this uses nanohttpd to serve up specific files to the chromecast

• What are the chromecast related options you are expecting to be implemented in MX Player's side
Consider a more stable play-now play-next interface, allowing a party mode to be run using MX Player

Oanksser

Sep 5, 2017

Me too . but I'm looking forward to the next step.

Reactions: Gougzilla

adhammagdy

Nov 3, 2015
Cairo
Xiaomi Poco F3
benifits of cast support

Per app casting is better that android built in casting for the following reasons:

I will use youtube as an example since it supports casting..

First is multitasking.. regular casting mirrors your whole screen to the tv.. so you can't watch a movie on tv and reply to a message quickly.. you'll have to cut the immersion...
In youtube, the youtube app will keep mirroring to the screen even after you minimize it to reply to your message..

Second is power saving..
In regular cast, you have to keep the screen turned on all the time.. if you lock the screen the tv will show a black screen and stop audio..
If you cast with youtube, you can turn off the phone screen to save power while still watching on tv..

Third is privacy..
If you're watching a movie with your friends using regular passive casting.. any notification that pops up on the phone will also show up on tv.. so it will be annoying if you get many notifications and everything will be visible to everyone..
In youtube, only the video is shown on tv..

Fourth is performance..
In regular casting, performance of rendering is bad since no hardware acceleration can be used.. also you're limited by the phone resolution. So if you want to play a 1080 video on a 720 phone, the video will be downscaled and lose quality..
In youtube or any cast enabled app, you can play at higher resolutions.. use hardware acceleration.. and render only the video and not the surrounding Android ui..

Also.. some people would suggest using DLNA or miracast instead of screen casting..

Well this is true but.. there are benifits to screen casting:
-You can use your favourite video player...
-You can play videos with drm content...
-You can play youtube with subtitles, hulu, netflix which are not supported by video players..
-You can play videos from websites if your browser supports casting..
-You can change the audio track, subtitle track, and play any video format that's supported by the video app on the phone and not stuck with only the formats dlna supports.. for example, mx player supports real media rmvb videos, so you can play them with mx.. these videos aren't supported by any protocol..

I understand that the developers of mx player want to make it lean and fast as possible and not put features that seem unimportant to them.. but they are essential to many people..
I personally can't live without mx player pro.. but also can't live without picture-in-picture and casting support..

I don't really think that mx player devs care about user feedback as there are features that are being requested for years and still aren't done.. the last time I sent a feature request for floating window playback.. they said it will be done in the next major version... It has been a whole year and still no major version...

Last edited:

kunalsingh13501

Feb 13, 2018
I give you 1 ****ing good reason. It will make MXplayer awesome for users who use casting feature alot. Today all media app have inbuilt cast. Certain app user MXplayer to stream service. And thats where we feel limited as we can't cast streaming video on big screen because MXPlayer LACK casting feature.

Same issue with VLC player. so two of the best streaming player lack one of the widely used feature among andriod community..i.e casting.

By adding it first MXplayer will be the coolest.

MXplayer , VLC , KODI , Showbox all open unlimited content access posibility.

If KoDI had added casting I would have not bought streaming box Nvedia shiled TV. And my phone would have been my media center.

Just think you hangout at friend play . You have amazing content but sharing restricting limit your content to small screen. You travel to hotel and carry chromecast dongle ... and want to watch a new movie from showbox or simply searching some online content which stream on mx player.. oh but MXplayer dont have cast feature. You can't do that as you have to check email or maybe use phone for surfing while you watching content. so you decided to dump mxplayer and open netflix , hbogo, abc , fxnow ..because all these have inbuilt cast .. which mxplayer lack.

That mean usablity reduced for mxplayer. Now someone understand the pain and comeup with player with builtin casting and steal all user base from mxplayer ...because they are rigid to adapt change and listen. They behave like big corporation even before they become one.

make sense .. or you need more feedback before adding features

drjoe1

Apr 6, 2018
I want a casting function for the same reasons as many of the other users posted above.

First, the reason I use MxPlayer and not a video caster app is because I get videos from all over, of varied video formats, some with multiple language audio subchannels, and the video casters don't handle this as well as MxPlayer. Most caster apps have limitations to what file types they can cast, and most caster apps won't let you choose the audio language. MxPlayer handles multiple formats and language subchannels better than anything else I've tried. I also like the easy zoom and audio volume adjustment MxPlayer provides. This is my favorite video player.

Second, I stream most of my video to my TV from my tablet with chromecast. Because MxPlayer doesn't have a native cast function, when I play videos on MxPlayer, I have to mirror the screen with Google Home. Now this wouldn't be a big deal, but I also like to multi-task. I browse the web, read books, play games while the video is streaming. I can't do that when mirroring the screen. So I'd love to see MxPlayer develop a cast function where I can play any video format, set the audio channel to English, start the cast, and move on to other things on my tablet.

Thanks,

Joe

Last edited:

jahmma

May 11, 2017
Please

Please, implement cast support. today it's indispensable in a video player, also because it would offer a different optimization to the native support of Android, moreover it would allow to do something else with the smartphone while transmitting the video.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi MX Player users,

We know that many users are interested to see chromecast support inside the MX Player. So, we need your inputs to implement in a better way. We have some basic questions which will help us to understand better.

1. Have you you ever used Cast feature provided in Android itself? Even with that You can still cast your screen & audio using Google Home.
    2. What's the advantage of separate chromecast option over the android's inbuilt cast feature
    3. If you are not using/intrested Android's Cast feature, what's method you are using to play with chromecast?
    4. What are the chromecast related options you are expecting to be implemented in MX Player's side
    5. Can you share some design thoughts like screenshots from others?

The more you provide the input, we can give you the best from MX Player.
    Would love to see Chromecast added to MX Player

I understand that you can cast ur entire screen to the device but there is also a way that if you embed the casting feature inside the app so that then you can cast a movie to your TV and have MX Player run in the background so you can use your phone for other things....Granted you have the resources to do so.

I do that now with another app I beta test for called Stream

BTW..yes I'm new here but I have been using MX Player for years and I love it.

Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge OS 7.0
    benifits of cast support

Per app casting is better that android built in casting for the following reasons:

I will use youtube as an example since it supports casting..

First is multitasking.. regular casting mirrors your whole screen to the tv.. so you can't watch a movie on tv and reply to a message quickly.. you'll have to cut the immersion...
    In youtube, the youtube app will keep mirroring to the screen even after you minimize it to reply to your message..

Second is power saving..
    In regular cast, you have to keep the screen turned on all the time.. if you lock the screen the tv will show a black screen and stop audio..
    If you cast with youtube, you can turn off the phone screen to save power while still watching on tv..

Third is privacy..
    If you're watching a movie with your friends using regular passive casting.. any notification that pops up on the phone will also show up on tv.. so it will be annoying if you get many notifications and everything will be visible to everyone..
    In youtube, only the video is shown on tv..

Fourth is performance..
    In regular casting, performance of rendering is bad since no hardware acceleration can be used.. also you're limited by the phone resolution. So if you want to play a 1080 video on a 720 phone, the video will be downscaled and lose quality..
    In youtube or any cast enabled app, you can play at higher resolutions.. use hardware acceleration.. and render only the video and not the surrounding Android ui..

Also.. some people would suggest using DLNA or miracast instead of screen casting..

Well this is true but.. there are benifits to screen casting:
    -You can use your favourite video player...
    -You can play videos with drm content...
    -You can play youtube with subtitles, hulu, netflix which are not supported by video players..
    -You can play videos from websites if your browser supports casting..
    -You can change the audio track, subtitle track, and play any video format that's supported by the video app on the phone and not stuck with only the formats dlna supports.. for example, mx player supports real media rmvb videos, so you can play them with mx.. these videos aren't supported by any protocol..

I understand that the developers of mx player want to make it lean and fast as possible and not put features that seem unimportant to them.. but they are essential to many people..
    I personally can't live without mx player pro.. but also can't live without picture-in-picture and casting support..

I don't really think that mx player devs care about user feedback as there are features that are being requested for years and still aren't done.. the last time I sent a feature request for floating window playback.. they said it will be done in the next major version... It has been a whole year and still no major version...
    Hey, actually I just was searching if anyhow I could cast my mx player to Chromecast

Hey, actually I just was searching if anyhow I could cast my mx player to Chromecast but not through the phone's cast button in the notification shade because that just mirror's the whole screen and you can't do anything else is you are casting your screen for a movie or something else and also it consumes a lot of the battery too. Whereas a separate cast button,
    if it's available on the mx player, would be a great relief as we could then even switch off the phone's display and both the functionality as well as the battery could be saved.
    Well there are some good options for casting to the TV like local cast and web video caster but if mx player merges both of theirs functionalities it would turn out to be the most feature loaded and complete video as well as audio streaming app. I hope I'm going to get this app update soon enough coz I've been waiting for the same since long.
    Hi MX Player users,

We know that many users are interested to see chromecast support inside the MX Player. So, we need your inputs to implement in a better way. We have some basic questions which will help us to understand better.

1. Have you you ever used Cast feature provided in Android itself? Even with that You can still cast your screen & audio using Google Home.
    2. What's the advantage of separate chromecast option over the android's inbuilt cast feature
    3. If you are not using/intrested Android's Cast feature, what's method you are using to play with chromecast?
    4. What are the chromecast related options you are expecting to be implemented in MX Player's side

Yes and yes again!
    Please add support for Chromecast.

Thanks

Hi MX Player users,