[ROM][Acclaim] Unofficial CM9 Nightly Builds [DISCONTINUED]

Search This thread

eyeballer

Retired Recognized Developer
Jun 24, 2010
teamw.in
*** CM9 nightlies have been discontinued.. see: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=29135522#post29135522 ***

For those who have dabbled in the Nook Color or HP TouchPad scenes you may have seen unofficial CM9 nightlies from me.. so in the same fashion here are the Nook Tablet builds - these should be considered in Alpha status.

***The nightly builds are currently for the 1GB "Acclaim" Nook Tablets ONLY***

I take no credit for the work put in to get nook tablet CM9 running - all the credit there goes to chrmhoffmann, fattire, nemith and countless others I may not even know. Please be sure to thank them for their efforts. I'm just building ROMs from their source code.

I *strongly* recommend everyone look over fattire's guide for building and giving it a try to learn a little about how this all works, it's how I got started on the nook color with these unofficial builds. After clearing with fattire and chrmhoffmann I decided to provide these builds for people who don't have the hardware/ability to build themselves.

These builds are all straight sync with CM source along with the nook tablet device and kernel trees. They are *NOT* tested releases (I don't even have a Nook Tablet) so please be aware that the builds could be broken at any time, and are provided as-is. Please be comfortable with adb and/or using recovery to wipe/restore/nuke at any time.

Builds are sync'd at 9am UTC - they will be available to download approx 15 mins after that.

There is no official "changelog" for nightlies, you can reference the commits in the device tree, kernel tree and main CM gerrit. Note that the CM gerrit shows things that are merged for ALL official devices, not all of these will apply to the Nook Tablet, however, anything not referenced by a device name is also included in these builds.

The only addition I have made to these builds is the inclusion of "Goo Manager" as a system app. More on the reasons for this below...

Downloads

There are a few ways to get the builds:
1) Browse the hosted folder here: http://techerrata.com/browse/nightly_kangs/acclaim
2) Follow @CM_Acclaim on twitter for announcements of the builds as they hit the host (PLEASE NOTE: @CM_Acclaim IS A TWITTER BOT - don't bother tweeting at it)
3) Use the Goo Manager app to receive notifications of new builds and download them directly on your device.

Latest ICS gapps can be found here http://goo-inside.me/gapps or mirrored here http://techerrata.com/browse/gapps

Goo Manager - Notable features
1) Notification of new builds and gapps updates with one click - or auto-check frequency in settings. Goo Manager auto-checks the md5 for every download.
2) Automated flashing of downloaded roms/gapps/other files with TWRP
3) Install TWRP 2.1 with one click (menu - install openscript recovery) - TWRP is still experimental and will overwrite ClockworkMod on emmc.
4) *Incremental updates* (experimental) - if you like to stay on the bleeding edge and flash every night. Incremental updates are diff'd server side so you only download the changed files from the build the night before. These downloads average 30-40mb in size (vs ~120mb for the full rom), so you get faster downloads, updates and less wear on your device's flash memory. Incremental updates ONLY work from the previous night's build to the latest. When you check for updates in Goo Manager it will offer you an incremental if applicable.

Updates

For the latest updates/announcements follow me on twitter, or check back here.

Credit and Thanks
Thanks to chrmhoffmann, fattire, nemith and the rest of the CM acclaim team for making this possible. Thanks to fellow TeamWin members Kevank for providing the hosting and to s0up for the Goo Manager app.

Last edited:

fattire

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 11, 2010
www.eff.org
Neat.

This should make things easier.

Again though-- until some changes are added to the 3.0 kernel, if you have a newer 512MB NookTablet, the nightlies won't work and you'll probably come up with a blackscreen and have to reflash. Chrmhoffman's latest 2.6.35 build though should work if you have the newer model and/or want the 2.6.35 kernel w/cm9.

* EXPERIMENTAL * EXPERIMENTAL * EXPERIMENTAL * EXPERIMENTAL *

Warning: This will overwrite the internal storage with CM9. The instructions below assume you have a rooted NT running stock, CM7, or CM9.

Requirements
  • 1GB NT (the 512MB NTs are not yet supported by the 3.0 kernel.)
  • Software: Rooted stock, CM7, or CM9
  • A full battery
  • a formatted SD card in the slot
  • wifi connection
  • (something else?)

To install the experimental CM9 w/3.0 kernel on a 1GB NT:
(steps are from memory and are to be refined soon)

1. Use the Google Play Market or other method to install Goo Manager to your device.
  2. Run Goo Manager. Select the menu, and chose "install openscript recovery". Click through the options to confirm. At some point you may be asked to give Goo Manager superuser permissions.
  3. The above steps should now cause TWRP2 recovery to be installed to your device. (You only need to do steps 1-3 again when you want to update or reinstall the TWRP2 recovery image.)
  4. Now you can browse compatible roms for your device. Under /devs/eyballer/nightly_kangs/acclaim/ you should see some nightly builds. Choose the one you wish to install. Wait for it to download.
  5. Once it's downloaded successfully, you should be able to select the newly downloaded rom from the notification menu, and then request that it be installed. Alternately, you can go to the Flash ROMS menu to flash previously downloaded ROMS.
  6. See elsewhere in this thread for any other update.zips that you may wish to download and install. You can put more than one update.zip in the queue.
  7. When you are ready, select the order and flash selected button on the bottom right.
  8. It is sometimes preferable to wipe the cache/dalvik cache partition when doing an upgrade. You also have the option to automate a backup (not a bad idea). If you are coming from stock BN software or for any other reason wish to clear all user information, you may also wish to wipe the /data. partition. This is not generally recommended as wiping /data will delete your personal information.
  9. When you're done configuring your flash, choose Flash, and then confirm.
  10. If all goes well, there will be a reboot, your choice(s) will be flashed, and then the system will restart into the new CM9. If it doesn't work (very possible, as this is still experimental), post below and let the devs know what went wrong.

This video has more information about TWRP2 and Goo Manager, although the device discussed is a HP Tablet. Some things like the boot menu will be different, but most other details will apply.

Good luck, and be sure NOT to do this with an 512MB Nook Tablet. If you screw up and do install it, you will need to re-flash a CM9 using 2.6.35.

Last edited:

SilentStormer

Jan 28, 2012
The land of no-iPhones
Hmmmm, so these will be sorta nice.....
Fattire, did you update the TWRP .zip to a non-totally-messed-up version?
If so I'll jump on these and try them.
Also are these builds the latest 0.04 for our tablet?

Sent from my Team A CM9 Alpha 0.03 Nook Tablet

fattire

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 11, 2010
www.eff.org
I'm assuming it's because it's using the newer kernel?

Yes, the 3.0 kernel has issues with 512MB-- the kindle fire had the same issues, and if you read the latter few posts in the kernel thread, you can read more about it. Hashcode apparently knows how to fix it, but until then, don't install this on a 512MB NT.

No guarantees. eyeballer is using the latest experimental one from the twrp thread. It has the fix from arcon and has been successfully used by frustro. I of course have not ever run it, so I can't make any claim of success.... this is all experimental.

The builds are nightly, so right now they're about at par with chrmhoffmann's alpha .04 (which of course uses 2.6.35 kernel), but if I'm not mistaken, eyeballer builds 'em fresh every day from the cm9 repos plus whatever changes are made to the kernel and acclaim-specific repositories. That means they can be total crap in the future, and who knows if twrp2 is even any good either...

This is seriously guinea pig territory. So unless and until you're willing to take some risks, you might want to hold out for what others have to say.

meghd00t

Jul 13, 2011
Bangalore
I can confirm that this worked for me.

1. Intall goomanager from play.google.com
2. from menu choose install openrecovery script, it downloaded and installed openrecovery-twrp-2.1.4-acclaim.img
3 browse compatible roms, navigate to /devs/eyballer/nightly_kangs/acclaim/ and choose the first one
4 menu home
5 choose download gapps packages and choose gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip

I had 2 download failures and had to repeat these steps till the download was correctly completed and then main menu flash roms select the 2 zips and I was done

very nice and smooth.

Can you add tun.ko and cifs.ko to the kernel config please?

Thanks

Helltoupee

Oct 23, 2008
Used Goo Manager to flash TWRP, had to pull the SD card and install it for it to mount.

Downloaded the first 900 build (I see there is 2 for some reason)

Clean install including /system wipe

Have had 2 or 3 "sleeps of death"
Screen wouldn't turn on with N button or power button.

Had to hold power for 10+ seconds to do a hard shut down.

Cranked my screen off timer to 10 minutes.

Keep up the great work.

Also Netflix loads and has audio no video but I'm sure you're aware of that.

Two other things I've noticed.

Can confirm the SD card mounts every time so far but the SD card did randomly unmount once.

Lastly, when trying to download Atorrent (for watching Game of Thrones) I get an error saying "Can not install to USB mass storage or SD card"

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Last edited:

Helltoupee

Oct 23, 2008
Fattitire and or Eyeballer I have a very humble request that I think might help us help you.

I have been using Goo Manager for a few weeks and love it. It's a great tool. If you could add just a line or even two words to the Change Log tab in GM like "bug fix" "nothing major" "hardware acceleration working :)" it would be very helpful for us to decide if we should flash an update or skip it and wait for the next one.

Once again thank you, and great work.

eyeballer

Jun 24, 2010
teamw.in
Fattitire and or Eyeballer I have a very humble request that I think might help us help you.

I have been using Goo Manager for a few weeks and love it. It's a great tool. If you could add just a line or even two words to the Change Log tab in GM like "bug fix" "nothing major" "hardware acceleration working :)" it would be very helpful for us to decide if we should flash an update or skip it and wait for the next one.

Once again thank you, and great work.

While this seems simple to add, it's not. My build system for these unofficial nightlies is completely automated so adding something to changelog would require me to go through the commits and then manually log into goo.im and update the rom info for every build. I don't do that for the devices I own, let alone the ones I don't :)

I posted links in the OP to all the source that is used to compile so it's up to the user to read and see if they would like to update. Of course as more people start running the builds, the discussion here usually will give you hints as to what's added too.

eyeballer

Jun 24, 2010
teamw.in
Updated the OP with another download notification method. We have a twitter system that will send out a tweet for every new build that hits our server with the link to the download and a QR code. You can follow CM_Acclaim for this.

megaghostgamer

Nov 19, 2011
I kinda have a problem :\ I have lines running across half of my screen and its kinda freaking me out.. I'm not pointing fingers but it did happen after I installed this ROM

---------- Post added at 10:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 PM ----------

My problem is solved... Oddly enough installing another rom makes the lines go away. I'm sorry for posting for no reason. lol have a great day

succulent

Dec 22, 2010
Do these nightly builds have an embedded expiration date like the chrmhoffmann's Alpha 0.0x builds?

Also, has anyone tried getting one of these builds to run off an SD card using succulent's method (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1545766)?

Don't try it. My modifications are for kernel 2.6.x version of CM9 not 3.0.x CM9.

I've build a bootable 3.0.x CM9 on sdcard. I wouldn't recommend this build yet due to LCD brightness and no sleep issue. LCD brightness will take 50% of the battery. This build is mainly testing.

Reactions: Solar.Plexus

billy8362

Dec 26, 2011
I loaded recovery. Downloaded CM9 ics then gapps. When I go to flash roms nook reboots then I get the cynaboot image then nook boots back to cm7. What am I doing wrong?

The problem I was having is that cm7 did not mount my SD card on reboot. Had to load eyeballers first build through cwm. Then once in cm9 I could load through twrp. Running good so far.:D

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    *** CM9 nightlies have been discontinued.. see: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=29135522#post29135522 ***

For those who have dabbled in the Nook Color or HP TouchPad scenes you may have seen unofficial CM9 nightlies from me.. so in the same fashion here are the Nook Tablet builds - these should be considered in Alpha status.

***The nightly builds are currently for the 1GB "Acclaim" Nook Tablets ONLY***

I take no credit for the work put in to get nook tablet CM9 running - all the credit there goes to chrmhoffmann, fattire, nemith and countless others I may not even know. Please be sure to thank them for their efforts. I'm just building ROMs from their source code.

I *strongly* recommend everyone look over fattire's guide for building and giving it a try to learn a little about how this all works, it's how I got started on the nook color with these unofficial builds. After clearing with fattire and chrmhoffmann I decided to provide these builds for people who don't have the hardware/ability to build themselves.

These builds are all straight sync with CM source along with the nook tablet device and kernel trees. They are *NOT* tested releases (I don't even have a Nook Tablet) so please be aware that the builds could be broken at any time, and are provided as-is. Please be comfortable with adb and/or using recovery to wipe/restore/nuke at any time.

Builds are sync'd at 9am UTC - they will be available to download approx 15 mins after that.

There is no official "changelog" for nightlies, you can reference the commits in the device tree, kernel tree and main CM gerrit. Note that the CM gerrit shows things that are merged for ALL official devices, not all of these will apply to the Nook Tablet, however, anything not referenced by a device name is also included in these builds.

The only addition I have made to these builds is the inclusion of "Goo Manager" as a system app. More on the reasons for this below...

Downloads

There are a few ways to get the builds:
    1) Browse the hosted folder here: http://techerrata.com/browse/nightly_kangs/acclaim
    2) Follow @CM_Acclaim on twitter for announcements of the builds as they hit the host (PLEASE NOTE: @CM_Acclaim IS A TWITTER BOT - don't bother tweeting at it)
    3) Use the Goo Manager app to receive notifications of new builds and download them directly on your device.

Latest ICS gapps can be found here http://goo-inside.me/gapps or mirrored here http://techerrata.com/browse/gapps

Goo Manager - Notable features
    1) Notification of new builds and gapps updates with one click - or auto-check frequency in settings. Goo Manager auto-checks the md5 for every download.
    2) Automated flashing of downloaded roms/gapps/other files with TWRP
    3) Install TWRP 2.1 with one click (menu - install openscript recovery) - TWRP is still experimental and will overwrite ClockworkMod on emmc.
    4) *Incremental updates* (experimental) - if you like to stay on the bleeding edge and flash every night. Incremental updates are diff'd server side so you only download the changed files from the build the night before. These downloads average 30-40mb in size (vs ~120mb for the full rom), so you get faster downloads, updates and less wear on your device's flash memory. Incremental updates ONLY work from the previous night's build to the latest. When you check for updates in Goo Manager it will offer you an incremental if applicable.

Updates

For the latest updates/announcements follow me on twitter, or check back here.

Credit and Thanks
    Thanks to chrmhoffmann, fattire, nemith and the rest of the CM acclaim team for making this possible. Thanks to fellow TeamWin members Kevank for providing the hosting and to s0up for the Goo Manager app.
    Neat.

This should make things easier.

Again though-- until some changes are added to the 3.0 kernel, if you have a newer 512MB NookTablet, the nightlies won't work and you'll probably come up with a blackscreen and have to reflash. Chrmhoffman's latest 2.6.35 build though should work if you have the newer model and/or want the 2.6.35 kernel w/cm9.

Warning: This will overwrite the internal storage with CM9. The instructions below assume you have a rooted NT running stock, CM7, or CM9.

Requirements
    • 1GB NT (the 512MB NTs are not yet supported by the 3.0 kernel.)
    • Software: Rooted stock, CM7, or CM9
    • A full battery
    • a formatted SD card in the slot
    • wifi connection
    • (something else?)

To install the experimental CM9 w/3.0 kernel on a 1GB NT:
    (steps are from memory and are to be refined soon)

1. Use the Google Play Market or other method to install Goo Manager to your device.
    2. Run Goo Manager. Select the menu, and chose "install openscript recovery". Click through the options to confirm. At some point you may be asked to give Goo Manager superuser permissions.
    3. The above steps should now cause TWRP2 recovery to be installed to your device. (You only need to do steps 1-3 again when you want to update or reinstall the TWRP2 recovery image.)
    4. Now you can browse compatible roms for your device. Under /devs/eyballer/nightly_kangs/acclaim/ you should see some nightly builds. Choose the one you wish to install. Wait for it to download.
    5. Once it's downloaded successfully, you should be able to select the newly downloaded rom from the notification menu, and then request that it be installed. Alternately, you can go to the Flash ROMS menu to flash previously downloaded ROMS.
    6. See elsewhere in this thread for any other update.zips that you may wish to download and install. You can put more than one update.zip in the queue.
    7. When you are ready, select the order and flash selected button on the bottom right.
    8. It is sometimes preferable to wipe the cache/dalvik cache partition when doing an upgrade. You also have the option to automate a backup (not a bad idea). If you are coming from stock BN software or for any other reason wish to clear all user information, you may also wish to wipe the /data. partition. This is not generally recommended as wiping /data will delete your personal information.
    9. When you're done configuring your flash, choose Flash, and then confirm.
    10. If all goes well, there will be a reboot, your choice(s) will be flashed, and then the system will restart into the new CM9. If it doesn't work (very possible, as this is still experimental), post below and let the devs know what went wrong.

This video has more information about TWRP2 and Goo Manager, although the device discussed is a HP Tablet. Some things like the boot menu will be different, but most other details will apply.

Good luck, and be sure NOT to do this with an 512MB Nook Tablet. If you screw up and do install it, you will need to re-flash a CM9 using 2.6.35.
    I'm assuming it's because it's using the newer kernel?

Yes, the 3.0 kernel has issues with 512MB-- the kindle fire had the same issues, and if you read the latter few posts in the kernel thread, you can read more about it. Hashcode apparently knows how to fix it, but until then, don't install this on a 512MB NT.

No guarantees. eyeballer is using the latest experimental one from the twrp thread. It has the fix from arcon and has been successfully used by frustro. I of course have not ever run it, so I can't make any claim of success.... this is all experimental.

The builds are nightly, so right now they're about at par with chrmhoffmann's alpha .04 (which of course uses 2.6.35 kernel), but if I'm not mistaken, eyeballer builds 'em fresh every day from the cm9 repos plus whatever changes are made to the kernel and acclaim-specific repositories. That means they can be total crap in the future, and who knows if twrp2 is even any good either...

This is seriously guinea pig territory. So unless and until you're willing to take some risks, you might want to hold out for what others have to say.
    I can confirm that this worked for me.

1. Intall goomanager from play.google.com
    2. from menu choose install openrecovery script, it downloaded and installed openrecovery-twrp-2.1.4-acclaim.img
    3 browse compatible roms, navigate to /devs/eyballer/nightly_kangs/acclaim/ and choose the first one
    4 menu home
    5 choose download gapps packages and choose gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip

I had 2 download failures and had to repeat these steps till the download was correctly completed and then main menu flash roms select the 2 zips and I was done

very nice and smooth.

Can you add tun.ko and cifs.ko to the kernel config please?

Thanks
    Looks like the CM repo was broken last night for a while exactly when the sync for this build took place so the build broke. Pushing out a new build for you guys now.. be up in 10-15mins :)