[Root] Republic Wireless Motorola Defy XT - Jan 28th update (1_65l_1027)

Search This thread

jcase

Retired Forum Mod / Senior Recognized Developer
Feb 20, 2010
Raleigh NC
July 20th 2013
Updated with cyanide2.2, fixing bug that resulted in the su binary being deleted when extracted.

Original Release (bloggers re-source this link): http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/0...band-with-the-newest-ota-1_65k_1027-or-older/

Republic Wireless pushed a new update today, breaking the previous root I released. Here is a new root, that works on all versions of the firmware to date.

Install the app, run the app, press agree, phone will reboot twice, and then you have root. Then install supersu from the market.

APK : attached
Sourcecode: http://github.com/cunninglogic/Cyanide

Attachments

• Cyanide22.apk
    706.4 KB · Views: 2,566
Last edited:

dada1111

Mar 25, 2011
So quick and easy it took 3 minutes total Thanks

original release (bloggers re-source this link): http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/0...band-with-the-newest-ota-1_65k_1027-or-older/

republic wireless pushed a new update today, breaking the previous root i released. Here is a new root, that works on all versions of the firmware to date.

Install the app, run the app, press agree, phone will reboot twice, and then you have root.

Apk : http://d-h.st/swm
sourcecode: http://github.com/cunninglogic/cyanide

thank you!

lancethepants

Feb 18, 2011
I was previously rooted on my Defy XT, and had installed busybox. Now I've updated my phone to RW latest, but you're Cyanide utility doesn't work. I'm not sure if it's perhaps busybox related issue, or some other root required app. All the binaries from before the update have stayed in the system, but something isn't running through correctly, because I'm not getting root, and SuperSU is not being installed. Any ideas?
thanks

jcase

Feb 20, 2010
Raleigh NC
I was previously rooted on my Defy XT, and had installed busybox. Now I've updated my phone to RW latest, but you're Cyanide utility doesn't work. I'm not sure if it's perhaps busybox related issue, or some other root required app. All the binaries from before the update have stayed in the system, but something isn't running through correctly, because I'm not getting root, and SuperSU is not being installed. Any ideas?
thanks

Cyanide is made to work on stock, or as stock as possible phones. Alterations surely can break it. Setup adb, get it working with the phone, then PM me.

SoNic67

Apr 10, 2011
No, there are no ROM's available. You root it, there is no going "back".
However, good job jcase! I keep your cyanide on the phone, ready to launch it. Still having 30 days warranty thou.

Last edited:

jneg123

Jan 27, 2011
tethering

I have the Republic defy XT and would consider rooting if I can then tether my tablet to it while out an about.

I used to have the HTC Hero and rooted with custom ROM and was able to tether my Nexus 7 (wifi version) to it via bluetooth. That gave me internet when away from wifi.

If I root the defy, will I be able to get tether working? Has anyone actually done this? Currently, bluetooth can see and pair with the phone, but won't connect.

Thanks

nilesf

Apr 5, 2007
NO ROOT for BT Tether

I have the Republic defy XT and would consider rooting if I can then tether my tablet to it while out an about.

I used to have the HTC Hero and rooted with custom ROM and was able to tether my Nexus 7 (wifi version) to it via bluetooth. That gave me internet when away from wifi.

If I root the defy, will I be able to get tether working? Has anyone actually done this? Currently, bluetooth can see and pair with the phone, but won't connect.

Thanks

You do not nned to root the Defy XT to be able to tether. Download and install PDANet for

Install this on phone:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/..._apps#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEwOSwiY29tLnBkYW5ldCJd

Install this on tablet:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS5wZGFuZXQudGFibGV0MiJd

The free version restricts speed and HTTPS.

jneg123

Jan 27, 2011

jneg123

Jan 27, 2011
I'll give it a shot. Thanks very much for the suggestion!

I tried PDANet and didn't have very good luck. I can get basic internet connection for browsing but run into issues with some apps. I installed the paid version and tested to see if this would help and still no go.

I tried Google Maps and it tracked position just fine. I tried the "Layers" feature to add traffic info and had a message that there wasn't a network connection. This message came up with both the free and paid version.

"No Network Connection" came up again with Words with Friends and the Gmail apps. I didn't test further and got the refund from Google Play. I didn't want to keep testing and then not be able to get a refund.

Any other BT tethering suggestions?

thanks

bsorli

Thumbs Up!

Just a thumbs up and let you know that your app worked on my RW Defy running the latest build 1_65K_1027. Working just fine and glad to see since I'm coming from my rooted Droid Bionic and missed Call Blocker featured I used all too often.

Thanks, Sorli...

Last edited:

daedreamah

Aug 12, 2007
It is not working for me

I received new phone today from RW and it is stock with 1_65K_1027 when I run Cyanide it does not install SuperSU and I do not have root access. I have used this method previously on my old original RW phone. I reran after factory data reset and still same result, not working for me. Any help would be great as I love my old RW phone when it was rooted.
Thanks in advance.

bsorli

Hmm...not sure really, but figured I reply to your post just to let you know someone is out here, running the same build 1-65K_1027, and successful months ago.

Did you hear back from the Cyanide developer and hopefully he has some notes of interest and what may have changed?

Obviously, I did my installation months ago and hopefully nothing has changed, but you also said you are now using a newer Defy. What happened to your older unit?

Hope you figure it out and I'm actually waiting for a new RW phone. Been waiting a while and may just drop kick RW if they don't come out with something new soon as reported "End of Summer!" in previous Blog posts. Sorli...

I received new phone today from RW and it is stock with 1_65K_1027 when I run Cyanide it does not install SuperSU and I do not have root access. I have used this method previously on my old original RW phone. I reran after factory data reset and still same result, not working for me. Any help would be great as I love my old RW phone when it was rooted.
Thanks in advance.

daedreamah

Aug 12, 2007
Old RW phone locked up and had over-heating issues...I could not use GPS wile plugged in to car charger at the same time. RW swapped phone and new one was sent to me. My old phone I used Cyanide no problems to install and use Titanium Back up to make backups of the pre-installed apps then uninstall them. I performed another Factory data reset from the privacy settings on the phone and then reinstalled Cyanide - still no go for me - does not install SuperSU and I do not have root access.
Thanks for you reply, do you have any suggestions ?

bsorli

What is weird is my install (x2) went perfectly without problems both times. Test drove on my wife's phone did not have any problems.

Does it work at all...initiate the process, reboot, and then nothing?

May need to document your steps (what seems to work, where it may fail, errors if any, etc) and then email the developer to see what he may have to say and see if he can help. Sorli...

Old RW phone locked up and had over-heating issues...I could not use GPS wile plugged in to car charger at the same time. RW swapped phone and new one was sent to me. My old phone I used Cyanide no problems to install and use Titanium Back up to make backups of the pre-installed apps then uninstall them. I performed another Factory data reset from the privacy settings on the phone and then reinstalled Cyanide - still no go for me - does not install SuperSU and I do not have root access.
Thanks for you reply, do you have any suggestions ?

daedreamah

Aug 12, 2007
Unboxed new phone, activated it, put in old SDCARD with Cyanide on it, Under application settings checked unknown sources, installed via the built in file manager and then ran the app on the phone, Agreed to the warning, phone rebooted then rebooted again. No SuperSu and no root. Downloaded the latest Cyanide and re-installed same results. I have done this before an another RW Defy and no problems like all of you, but this one will not work for me.
Thanks.

jcase

Feb 20, 2010
Raleigh NC
Unboxed new phone, activated it, put in old SDCARD with Cyanide on it, Under application settings checked unknown sources, installed via the built in file manager and then ran the app on the phone, Agreed to the warning, phone rebooted then rebooted again. No SuperSu and no root. Downloaded the latest Cyanide and re-installed same results. I have done this before an another RW Defy and no problems like all of you, but this one will not work for me.
Thanks.

This could have been silently patched some how, I am getting other report of it not working on firmware that I have confirmed it to work on. I will release a new root around Aug 11th. Possibly sooner if someone put one of these phones in my hands for a little while.

Reactions: glarepate

daedreamah

Aug 12, 2007
This could have been silently patched some how, I am getting other report of it not working on firmware that I have confirmed it to work on. I will release a new root around Aug 11th. Possibly sooner if someone put one of these phones in my hands for a little while.

If I can be of any help via trial and error please let me know. At this time the RW is my only phone otherwise I would send it in...I have managed to get it to communicate via ADB using the adb devices command and it responded. If you want to test I am up for it. Thanks

DewJunkie

Apr 17, 2008

Same issue here, it appears that the permissions of the symlink are being changed and not the target of the symlink.
I changed the app, so that it would have to be launched 2x instead of doing the 2nd step automatically.
Here's what I saw.
/system/etc/install-recovery.sh did not exist
$ ls -l
ls -l
-rw-r--r-- root root 135246 2013-07-11 22:41 last_alog_system_20130711_224159
-rw-r--r-- root root 138909 2013-07-11 22:41 last_alog_events_20130711_224159
-rw-r--r-- root root 144210 2013-07-11 22:41 last_alog_radio_20130711_224159
-rw-r--r-- root root 139601 2013-07-11 22:41 last_alog_main_20130711_224159
-rw-rw-rw- app_98 app_98 2 2013-07-11 22:41 onboot
lrwxrwxrwx app_98 app_98 2013-07-11 22:41 with_love_from_jcase -> /system/etc
lrwxrwxrwx app_98 app_98 2013-07-11 22:41 i_like_pie -> /system/etc/install-recovery.sh

/system
drwxr-xr-x root root 1980-01-05 17:00 etc

Tried modifying the sym link to a file that did exsit.
lrwxrwxrwx shell shell 2013-07-11 22:54 with_love_from_dlm -> /system/etc/init.qcom.post_boot.sh

permissions on /system/etc/init.qcom.post_boot.sh were unchanged.

I could get you remote access to the phone, sending may be an option.

Last edited:

jcase

Feb 20, 2010
Raleigh NC
I'm ready to root this again, please contact me via jcase at cunninglogic dot com.

Even if I can't find a root I can release, I will guarantee leaving the phone rooted when I am done testing

Same issue here, it appears that the permissions of the symlink are being changed and not the target of the symlink.
I changed the app, so that it would have to be launched 2x instead of doing the 2nd step automatically.
Here's what I saw.
$ ls -l
ls -l
lrwxrwxrwx app_98 app_98 2013-07-11 22:41 i_like_pie -> /system/etc/install-recovery.sh

/system

lrwxrwxrwx shell shell 2013-07-11 22:54 with_love_from_dlm -> /system/etc/init.qcom.post_boot.sh

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    July 20th 2013
    Updated with cyanide2.2, fixing bug that resulted in the su binary being deleted when extracted.

Original Release (bloggers re-source this link): http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/0...band-with-the-newest-ota-1_65k_1027-or-older/

Republic Wireless pushed a new update today, breaking the previous root I released. Here is a new root, that works on all versions of the firmware to date.

Install the app, run the app, press agree, phone will reboot twice, and then you have root. Then install supersu from the market.

APK : attached
    Sourcecode: http://github.com/cunninglogic/Cyanide
    OP updated with new build that fixes the issue
    Thanks.

I need the output of

adb shell mount

and

adb shell ls -l -a -R /system > /sdcard/systemperms.txt

Here's what I saw.
    $ ls -l
    ls -l

/system

Ver 2.2 confirmed working