Anything related to Sound: features or fix requests. v10: Bass Boost

Search This thread

erahk64

Oct 17, 2010
Stockholm
Are the video improvements in Voodoo 5.0.1 included in the new Voodoo 5.1 kernel ?
It's not mentioned in the first post in this thread, will it be included later ?

supercurio

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
May 31, 2010
Chambéry
spectrastudy.com
@supercurio

I'm running AV v666 with new CWM3 and cannot flash your unsigned-update.zip trough it because of the old "Amend" method it's using (see the advertisement on Trasig thread)

Could you make a new update.zip with the only Edify method supported by CWM3. It's probably not a problem since you're closely working with Trasig and as Voodoo 5 only works with Android 2.2+

As I'm eagerly waiting to try your sound improvement, I will not wait for such an update and go to Odin but doing so you're showing the way to go to other mod makers.

And again, a great thank for all pieces of your work

Yes I am working right now with him ;)

logicmann

May 20, 2006
Mannheim
W O N D E R F U L !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanx G O D for this man. Its unbelievable what G R E A T sound i can now hear with my SGS FM Radio.

Thanx so much SUPERCURIO. Hope you can work with the boys of Cyanogen in the future.

Greets
logicmann

Death-Co

Oct 31, 2010
Lyon
Just flash via Odin or via SGS Kernel Flasher (Market)

As I said I've gone the Odin way. I've never tried Kernel Flasher but I will give it a try some day. Thanks for the advice.

Same here, i'm using also Advanced Voodoo v666 with CWM3 and the install is aborted.
Can u make a new update.zip ???

Go the Odin way or like .:Crack:. said go with SGS Kernel Flasher app if you cannot wait for an CWM3 "compatible" update.zip

About the first sound driver, I'm surprised about the unleashed power the SGS can deliver. It can be painfull for the ears so beware when playing with the amp !

mtoneman

Aug 13, 2010
Thank you for the report, I was hoping getting one about the DT-990 and DT-880.

As those are bright headphones, I believe they will benefit a lot of from the jitter fix in the driver.
To your taste, is the high frequency balance best with current DT-990 + current Voodoo sound, or would it benefit from a slight low pass filter to remove some brightness and air ?

I must admit that I can't really compare with the old situation as there was no way to drive the DT-990's at a reasonable volume on the SGS, therefore I never used it with them. With the Voodoo app set to just below full amp I don't even have to set volume to max in the MP3 app to achieve a good listening level (12-13 is enough).

I just did some side-by-side comparisons with the following tracks/albums:

Steely Dan: A decade of: Various tracks
American Beauty: OST: Dead already

Using as the reference hardware an iRiver H-120 with rockbox (firmware upgradable "open" hardware lasts soooo much longer, it should be made mandatory for manufacturers to allow/support 3rd party firmware). Although old, this is still one of the nicest bits of listening/recording hardware with SPDIF in and out!

Overall, the dynamic range on the SGS appears to be greater. The sound is also a bit brighter and with more detail. Having said that, the iRiver is a bit more relaxing to listen to which may be due to the smaller dynamic range and reduced brightness.

A caveat though; my DT-990s are more than 15 years old and my ears are pretty much ruined by listening to music too loud and too long.

My Shure EC2's sound a lot better with your patch too, much more precise (this I can compare with the old kernel).

Again, thanks so much for your great work!

Edit:

* I never use an equaliser (unless I have to deal with really crappy headphones like the SGS original headset).
* Wow, I hadn't tested the radio, it sounds soooooo much better now.

Last edited:

TheDutchmen

Jan 23, 2009
excellent !

Works like a charm on darky's 8.0 Rom ;-) !

Now the mp3 player is the SGSI9000 in stead of a standalone player with headphones.

Death-Co

Oct 31, 2010
Lyon
@s44

Mmmmh, really ? I don't say Voodoo all version but Voodoo 5.

It's no matter of importance as the new update.zip method was already available before 2.1 as Koush said about the only method available in CWM3

Last edited:

-Juff-

Nov 18, 2008
Hey guys!

Just one question (sorry if it's a bit offtopic):
Is the new Advanced Voodoo kernel (basically) the same as the "normal" Voodoo kernel just with some more features?
Wondering if it's worth changing to the Advanced Voodoo kernel now as it supports the Voodoo sound as well... ;)
Thx!

And a big thx to supercurio! Already rated & commented your app in the store as well. =)

.:Crack:.

Oct 13, 2010
It may be helpful to read the Thread of the desired Kernel...

Version v666
- Clockworkmod v3.0.0.5
- Special suprise when booting
- Minor fixes, some fixes, checkout my github commitlog.
- There is no OC/UV yet, will add several diffrent OC/UV versions in the next couple of days

Advanced Voodoo v666.1
- VOODOO SOUND 1.0 !
- v666.2 - OC/UV version. all other features included

Nismo

Jan 2, 2006
Easy

Pfff.... took about 10 seconds from 5.0 lolz

I have one other SGS (from my son)... I cant get it in the reboot mode with the 3 buttons, anybody any idea?

Last edited:

-Juff-

Nov 18, 2008
I just don't get the differences between the "normal" Voodoo kernel and the Advanced Voodoo kernel. Is it just the overclocking feature? Sorry if I'm just too blind... =/

Death-Co

Oct 31, 2010
Lyon
I just don't get the differences between the "normal" Voodoo kernel and the Advanced Voodoo kernel. Is it just the overclocking feature? Sorry if I'm just too blind... =/

Ok, I'll go for it

Voodoo is a stock kernel mainly with Voodoo line addins from Supercurio : lagfix, color and now sound. Noticeable addition to these are BLN

Advanced Voodoo is more modded kernel from Trasig taking all of Voodoo (as the name implies) and some more tweaks or functionality (OC/UV, IO scheduler and other kernel tweaks from hardcore)

See http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=823300 for complete details about AV v666

ranjib

Nov 14, 2010
I need to record videos in very loud enironment (rockband rehearsal, gigs) and would love to do this with my galaxy....until now this is impossible with reasonable quality. I was looking for a fix for that and that was my only reason for subscribing here....so:

please realise your aim no.1: mic sensivity!

As this should be for live (spontaneous) video recording, there must be some kind of automatic leveling. Setting up a fixed audio sensiity before recording is not useful...

Death-Co

Oct 31, 2010
Lyon
When you're in a hole, stop digging. We've been on Voodoo5 for a month and a half, which is probably longer than you personally.

How may I take your answer ? Can it be my english as it is not my native language ?
FYI I've tried Voodoo on eclair one week after owning my SGS in october.

android53

Jul 23, 2010
Anyone else getting the annoying static pops? Its especially noticable when playing long songs with quiet parts.

This was an issue on eclair but was fixed, since froyo all roms and kernels have this problem again.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

maskarellet

Oct 30, 2010
I need to record videos in very loud enironment (rockband rehearsal, gigs) and would love to do this with my galaxy....until now this is impossible with reasonable quality. I was looking for a fix for that and that was my only reason for subscribing here....so:

please realise your aim no.1: mic sensivity!

As this should be for live (spontaneous) video recording, there must be some kind of automatic leveling. Setting up a fixed audio sensiity before recording is not useful...

Supercurio already knows that,so don't rush him, as he's doing this in his spare time, we just have to wait for his next releases.
Thanks a lot,supercurio¡¡¡¡

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Update: Kernel driver source is also released now!
    for Kernel and App developers: https://github.com/project-voodoo/sound_kernel_patches
    Full Kernels repositories: https://github.com/project-voodoo

Models supported in sources: GT-I9000, Captivate, Vibrant, Epic 4G, Fascinate, M110S, Galaxy Tab and Nexus S!

GT-I9003 board and audio hardware are entirely different and not supported.

28/03/2011 : 5.5.3 release: includes Voodoo sound v7 :definite fix for the DAC direct call issue with much better audio path management, lagfix code updated.
    21/03/2011 : 5.5.1 release: includes Voodoo sound v6 (fixes reported by some users muted earpiece during calls with DAC direct option enabled: proved inefficient)
    17/03/2011 : 5.5 release: includes Voodoo sound v5 and a new kind of 16GB Galaxy S.
    02/03/2011 : 5.4.2 maintenance release added support to Samsung Froyo 2.2, Ext4 conversion for some new Spanish 8GB phones.
    31/01/2011 : 5.4.1 release: added missing cifs.ko
    31/01/2011 : 5.4 release: includes Voodoo sound driver version 4!
    27/01/2011 : 5.3 release

FROYO kernels:
    Flash with ClockWorkMod recovery or SGS Kernel Flasher App (available in Market - needs root)
    Voodoo-stable-5.5.3-Froyo-GT-I9000-unsigned-update.zip

Flash with Odin or Heimdall.
    Voodoo-stable-5.5.3-Froyo-GT-I9000-odin-pda.tar

Note: This Kernel is the reference implementation for Galaxy S GT-I9000 (will work also on GT-I9000M GT-I9000T). Other Galaxy S variants will have issues or won't boot.
    It also contains the usual stable Voodoo lagfix, and ClockWorkMod as default recovery.
    If you don't know how to flash kernels, I recommend the community written guide, updated by Eitam Doodai

Don't forget to support my development effort so I can continue working hard on it :)

You can also take a look at an additional list of potential features

Other kernels implementing Voodoo sound:

You'll find plenty of other kernels implementing Voodoo sound for your device in this forum ;)

"Voodoo Control" in market screenshots:

A few countries miss Market, so I put also a download link. Downloading through market is still strongly recommended if you can:
    http://dl.project-voodoo.org/apps/

VoodooControlApp-0.3.png
    VoodooControlApp-0.3-headphone-amp.png
    VoodooControlApp-0.3-recording-options.png

FAQ:

How to get the best sound quality ?

The best quality for headphone is obtained:
    1/ by setting the Android digital sound level to the maximum or close to it
    2/ then using the new analog level to choose the sound pressure that suits your needs
    This way, you will get the lowest hiss, best signal-to-noise ratio and lowest distortion.

Original post:

Hello:)
    My first bounty, lagfix is a success so here I am again!

Galaxy S line phone have a few sound issues and as a sound junkie I'm working on improving things with Voodoo sound

Here is what I'm implementing for the first Voodoo sound release:

Headphone amp analog gain:
    Reduce the hiss or give you a much louder output. Configurable from very low levels to very high.
    Already tested with sensitive in-ear very prone to hiss and brilliantly confirmed with Sennheiser high-end 300 Ohms headphones.

Hardware Parametric equalizer:
    Change the frequency response to correct your headphone deficiencies or to adjust the sound how you like. Use 0 battery and work on every sound source. 100% configurable

Hardware 3D effect:
    Finally, a good specialization effect. Can improve sound-stage if used wisely. Configurable.

Here is the link to Voodoo sound source repository if you are curious about it.
    Those are new features, exciting capabilities your phone didn't had before :D
    Galaxy S phone is at the top of the line about sound capabilities because it uses a high end Wolfson WM8994 sound codec.
    That's why it's worth it.

I receive already a lot of a few feature asking to fix things, and it's not what i intended to do.

If you have a feature request or suggestion please
    • explain it in this topic
    • tell how much you can support the dev effort.

I can be crazy features request. Who knows, sometimes crazy stuff can be done ;)
    Then I'll do my best to work on it and you'll vote with donations if you are satisfied with it.
    Your turn!
    I digress... but hey supercurio are you developing/ planning to develop an app similar to voodoo sound for the Galaxy Nexus? Publish it and I will be the first to grab it from market. :)

Yes Galaxy Nexus will receive Voodoo Sound improvements!
    I started the research phase but didn't actually developed it yet.

Features planned:
    - Analog headphone amp
    - Mono switch
    - DAC high performance mode (instead of default: low power)
    - Speaker tuning: a bit more bass.

As usual: no ETA so please don't count too much on it as long as it's not actually released ;)
    Hi dear sound lovers.

The compilation of your feature request was so promising for me that I suddenly couldn't resist to write some Voodoo sound code :)
    So there are already 2 commits related to Voodoo sound:

Headphone amp gain :
    http://github.com/project-voodoo/linux_gt-i9000/commit/62e580cd4de97ec0039bf22a297d415f0f986a95
    First usage of the parametric EQ: an anti-alias filter for bright headphones
    http://github.com/project-voodoo/linux_gt-i9000/commit/df44533e336c5fde76a0912ad1c68d5f08f38e08

The second one may become obsolete once I'll get total knowledge of the WM8994 sound codec, sound driver and Android sound system internals.
    And, you guessed, i very much plan to do that!

Now about the Bounty

1/ Mic sensitivity

This is the big winner of this bounty contest ;)
    Both in term of requests and amount. Logically, I'll work on this one first.
    Expect it to be included in first or second Voodoo sound release.

Of course this enhancement will need to be done very carefully. I'll take the highest care not disturbing voice calls, voice memos, Shazam/Shoudhound song recognition.
    Because I already studied the subject, I can tell you that people who know code may find the patch very short.
    Most of the work will consist to elaborate ideal settings for every possible situation.

From filming insect's buzz :
    RTEmagicC_Mouche-Macro-Condylostylus_Opo-Terser-CC-by.jpg.jpg

To capturing music video during the latest Deftones live show
    5.jpg

If default are not good enough, I'll implement more complex code but will propose a usable interface to control it.
    ETA 2 weeks
    asked by: crossbone85, BronzedDroid, crossbone85, BronzedDroid, mike.sw, webcrtor, darkflyer1983, efegue, nsgtr34, rafalense, Anduru, Cazador-, GwynBleidd

2/ True line-out

18rca12foot.jpg

I don't have yet the confirmation it can be done yet, but as it's a requested feature I'll study it and you know that if it can be done... it will !
    If the hardware don't allow a direct line out from the DAC bypassing the headphone amplifier, I will improve the sound quality of the output anyway.

The very first release will already allow you to set the output gain to the standard level you expect from a Line-Out. This will resolve most headaches currently caused by the fact that the default output is very quiet.
    asked by: morfic, eeyunopper, NeronLux

3/ Headphone amplifier gain

hd650.jpg
    UltimateEars_Marshall_WhiteSM.jpg

Yes, some headphones needs special capabilities because
    - Their impedance is high, sound is too quiet
    - Their sensitivity is very high, and you hear too much hiss.

Sensitive in-ear tend to become the norm and because of their isolating nature you hear even more this annoying hiss.

Headphone amplifier gain is the adequate answer to these 2 problems, and if it appear very simple, device in our digital era are extremely rare!
    Now Galaxy S will be part of this ultra-elite club.

You planned to buy an expensive external amp because you thought your beloved headphones sound bad? Think again !
    − however you can think about my donation link :p

4/ 5-band Hardware Parametric EQ

This one will be totally awesome. Too bad a system-wide EQ is not part of Android.
    Will combine
    - sound quality: +-12db adjustment without saturation or distortion
    - with the best power efficiency: use no battery.

5/ Radio Noise
    62_thumb_2.jpg

Will probably be the most difficult to archive, but I already have some ideas about it.
    However, don't expect a "perfect" solution.
    asked by: stranger812, Aj12

6/ iPhone headset support

133445-etymotic%20hf2.jpg

Want to use iPhone IEM+mic on your GT-I9000? You're not alone!
    asked by: many people.

7/ Call through headphones

I don't understand why you cannot do that. Do you?
    Looks obvious but may require some profound changes in several software and hardware layer... or not.
    Not studied yet.
    asked by mcmac7, darkstar2k77. Maybe more people.

8/ General sound quality

2006_150.jpg

Optimizing the sound quality and squeezing the best performance out of the top-notch WM8994 hifi audio codec is the main essence of this project, by a sound lover for sound lovers.

Count on me to make this phone the best Android phone to enjoy music, if not one of the best mobile audio source in all categories.
    Is it ambitious ? Yes but thanks with the Wolfson Micro high end hardware present in this phone you could be surprised ;)
    asked by dsellers2

8/ Bluetooth gain & A2DP streaming issues

330px-Bluetooth_logo.png

Bluetooth stereo is not audiophile's favourite but sometimes it's so much more convenient!
    I'll study and also improve this way of listening to music.
    asked by FloridaK and TheTodFather .

9/ Specialization effect for headphones & Crossfeed

One of the first version will include support of the hardware 3D effect.
    In my opinion, most effect called "3D" something are pure crap. This one is the exception because it's able to improve soundstage and preserve musicality at the same time.

True crossfeed will be trickier to get done, but nothing is impossible. Once again, this is a bout system-wide solution that work on every sound source.
    asked by cbdrift

10/ Other various requests

- Multi-track recording support by thurtig
    - VOIP fixes by magpolson

PS : remember it's a Bounty thread.

Format:
    - Feature requested + description
    - development contribution

Voodoo sound v8 driver sources pushed on the 14 Kernel supported as template!
    Just tell me if I forgot one.

Sample commit with Changelog:

https://github.com/project-voodoo/a...mmit/19f3a63c06b43cc938e6bde8ec9e505bb688337c
    The problem I see is that's how you like it.and not all developer do that way.
    I don't mind to share code, but I don't like to share code that I don't tested and controlled for bugs. What you like is to share bugs to. That's the main different between us.
    You think that real time sharing is a good thing, but I don't like it at all.
    That lower the quality of sharing code and it's a wast of time.
    Also if I want to put others code in my code I want to know what it does.
    That's how you make quality code/program that works and have little bugs in them. The way you think is good is just Alfa/beta code that never will be good.

Standard practice when you develop in the open:

- dev branches, where you publish work in progress as often as you want
    - stable branches, where you publish what correspond to stable releases, distributed for other people who can reuse your code safely.

Benefit with dev branches is that you get comments and suggestions, even sometimes bug reports from developers following your work, well if the work in question is worth it of course. But there are a lot of people in forums, including silent people who only send mails after reading code.

In stable branches, you publish tested validated code for releases.
    Publishing work with SCM with git and an open development model help improving quality and security of stable releases, ask Linus!