{For All Xperia} Online Nandroid Backup / Nandroid Backup without re-booting

Search This thread

thatsupnow

Jan 31, 2011
Vernon
Google Pixel 3a XL
Google Pixel 5
Hey there guys I came across this useful tool today when I was poking around the ARC section it lets you make a nandroid without having to boot into recovery. This isnt my work Im simply passing it on so I hope he doesnt care too much about me posting this here.

***ALL crdeit goes to ameer1234567890***:D:D:D

Nandroid backups are usually performed in recovery mode. This means you would have to turn off your phone and reboot in recovery mode, which wastes a whole lot of time rebooting and a lot more time offline. For me, this has been a killer as I do regular nandroid backups. Having to reboot in recovery and finding missed calls, sms from my wife and friends is totally not accepatable for me. So, I set to develop an online nandroid backup tool which can do nandroid backups without switching off my phone.

Today, I am releasing it to public, as it may serve good for some others too. This tool is specifically for Xperia phones, but should work with any model of android phones.

This tool backups /system , /data , /cache & .android_secure partiotions to /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup directory. The date format used for folder name is the same used by CWM itself and nandroid backups created with this tool can safely be restored using CWM. If you would want to have a custom name for backup folder, pass an argument with the name to the script and it will use the name.

Feedback (especially ideas to improve) are most welcome.

Requirements
1. Rooted android phone
2. A terminal emulator installed on phone
3. Busybox
4. A working CWM based recovery installed
5. Some patience

Installation
1. Download and copy zip file to SD card
2. Reboot into recovery
3. Choose install zip from SD card, select zip and flash .
4. Reboot!

Usage
1. Open terminal emulator
2. Type su to obtain root
3. Type onandroid
4. Wait and watch

Original thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1620255

As usual Im not responsible if your phone explodes, catches fire, etc, etc so please read everything and try not to post stupid questions like " does this really work?" cause it wont be answered. I wouldnt of bothered posting this here if it didnt work. Have fun guys!!:D

Attachments

• onandroidv1.3.zip
    188.6 KB · Views: 141
  • screenshot-1336626412433.jpg
    screenshot-1336626412433.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 560
Last edited:

cyrusalmighty

May 30, 2009
Hartford
Well let me the 1st....does it work? :banghead:Sorry I'm just playing friend.lol. I'm going to try this right now.

Sent from my R800i using xda premium

solomon4400

Apr 16, 2012
CANADA(SOMETIMES I ASK Y?)
thanks for this gonna try rite now!!! i myself do regular backups as well.

edit: working working as i type!:D:D:D:D this is sick

hey you should post a link to the dev`s original thread so we could thank him and if possible donate for this amazing work.

Last edited:

thatsupnow

Jan 31, 2011
Vernon
Google Pixel 3a XL
Google Pixel 5
Well let me the 1st....does it work? :banghead:Sorry I'm just playing friend.lol. I'm going to try this right now.

Ha ha ha! I knew it was bound to happen. Its pretty straight forward and really low risk I doubt anything could be messed up even if you tried but yea have fun! Hopefully it is useful to some out there

Sent from my R800a using XDA App

thatsupnow

Jan 31, 2011
Vernon
Google Pixel 3a XL
Google Pixel 5
thanks for this gonna try rite now!!! i myself do regular backups as well.

edit: working working as i type!:D:D:D:D this is sick

hey you should post a link to the dev`s original thread so we could thank him and if possible donate for this amazing work.

Will do give me a few minutes..... link to original thread in OP throw some thanks his way when you get a chance.

Last edited:

netizenmt

Jan 20, 2011
When I tried to run this, it says "Checking for required tools" followed by "mkyaffs2image not found in path"

I tried uninstalling/reinstalling busybox and installing it to /system/bin and not xbin. This time it sort of ran but I got a bunch of errors and no backup.

Any suggestion on how to fix this?

Sent from my R800x using xda premium

Last edited:

jacklebott

Oct 22, 2010
Land of the Idiots
Isn't this inherently flawed since files on the rom are still being used and written while the backup is taking place? Neat idea though, don't get me wrong

thatsupnow

Jan 31, 2011
Vernon
Google Pixel 3a XL
Google Pixel 5
When I tried to run this, it says "Checking for required tools" followed by "mkyaffs2image not found in path"

I tried uninstalling/reinstalling busybox and installing it to /system/bin and not xbin. This time it sort of ran but I got a bunch of errors and no backup.

Any suggestion on how to fix this?

No idea never seen that error its been working perfectly on my other play and bro's arc, I'd check the original thread and see if anyone else has the same issue

netizenmt

Jan 20, 2011
No idea never seen that error its been working perfectly on my other play and bro's arc, I'd check the original thread and see if anyone else has the same issue

Yeah, I thought of that right after I posted here. There are plenty of people posting the same error, so we'll see what happens.

cyrusalmighty

May 30, 2009
Hartford
I tried to do a restore from the online nandroid backup I made and even though it said "restore complete" my SD-ext(4) partition would not load its shortcuts and widgets. The funny part is link2sd didn't even detect any SD-ext as if it wasn't backed up. I thought it said that it backed up SD-ext during online backup, but not sure. I'm wondering if it might help to factory restore before restoring backup. I may try that to see and I'll report back if noone reports similar problem.
Edit**During backup I was not doing anything else with phone other then watching the amazing online backup screen.:) Also I tried to "re-create mount scripts" but never got option from link2sd even after reboot.

Last edited:

ameer1234567890

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 12, 2012
Thulhaadhoo
ameer.io
I tried to do a restore from the online nandroid backup I made and even though it said "restore complete" my SD-ext(4) partition would not load its shortcuts and widgets. The funny part is link2sd didn't even detect any SD-ext as if it wasn't backed up. I thought it said that it backed up SD-ext during online backup, but not sure. I'm wondering if it might help to factory restore before restoring backup. I may try that to see and I'll report back if noone reports similar problem.
Edit**During backup I was not doing anything else with phone other then watching the amazing online backup screen.:) Also I tried to "re-create mount scripts" but never got option from link2sd even after reboot.
This tool (prior to v3) does not backup sd-ext partition. In the first post, you can see what the tool backups.

PS: If you can send me a previous backup of your sd-ext, I can work on adding sd-ext backup support to the script.

Last edited:
Reactions: cyrusalmighty

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey there guys I came across this useful tool today when I was poking around the ARC section it lets you make a nandroid without having to boot into recovery. This isnt my work Im simply passing it on so I hope he doesnt care too much about me posting this here.

***ALL crdeit goes to ameer1234567890***:D:D:D

Nandroid backups are usually performed in recovery mode. This means you would have to turn off your phone and reboot in recovery mode, which wastes a whole lot of time rebooting and a lot more time offline. For me, this has been a killer as I do regular nandroid backups. Having to reboot in recovery and finding missed calls, sms from my wife and friends is totally not accepatable for me. So, I set to develop an online nandroid backup tool which can do nandroid backups without switching off my phone.

Today, I am releasing it to public, as it may serve good for some others too. This tool is specifically for Xperia phones, but should work with any model of android phones.

This tool backups /system , /data , /cache & .android_secure partiotions to /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup directory. The date format used for folder name is the same used by CWM itself and nandroid backups created with this tool can safely be restored using CWM. If you would want to have a custom name for backup folder, pass an argument with the name to the script and it will use the name.

Feedback (especially ideas to improve) are most welcome.

Requirements
    1. Rooted android phone
    2. A terminal emulator installed on phone
    3. Busybox
    4. A working CWM based recovery installed
    5. Some patience

Installation
    1. Download and copy zip file to SD card
    2. Reboot into recovery
    3. Choose install zip from SD card, select zip and flash .
    4. Reboot!

Usage
    1. Open terminal emulator
    2. Type su to obtain root
    3. Type onandroid
    4. Wait and watch

Original thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1620255

As usual Im not responsible if your phone explodes, catches fire, etc, etc so please read everything and try not to post stupid questions like " does this really work?" cause it wont be answered. I wouldnt of bothered posting this here if it didnt work. Have fun guys!!:D
    This tool (prior to v3) does not backup sd-ext partition. In the first post, you can see what the tool backups.

PS: If you can send me a previous backup of your sd-ext, I can work on adding sd-ext backup support to the script.
    Is this work for me,then. What the next iv should to do:confused:
    Yes, it seems to have worked. Check if you have backup in /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup folder.
    What you did, which made it work?
    This tool does not backup sd-ext partition. In the first post, you can see what the tool backups.

Oops, I thought I read SD-ext in the list of areas to backup in OP. Well then, it seems everything is working perfect for me with this. Great work. :) But it would be great to backup the SD-ext since the XPlay has such a small internal memory and many users have a partition.
    Edit** Is there a way to send just an SD-ext instead of just the whole backup? Thanks.