[Q&A] Mounts2SD - Storage & Memory Management

Search This thread

BleedingIris

Aug 12, 2012
HEAVEN
Re: [App/Script] Mounts2SD - An All-in-one sd-ext solution (2.2.0/5.5.0 - Jan 26, 201

tried on cm10 beta and also on cm9 but same result maybe pmr is interfering with mount2sd

What version of mount2SD? Is it play version? /the one posted in our forum?
I tried the play version both on cm9 and cm10..no problem.. (though a older one)

"How many apps are optimizing? "
Did you install acid /xloud?
cm10 htc a310e k2.6 w /smooth of butter & broke Cam/corder

Last edited:

nik007rock

Apr 12, 2012
Hyderabad
What version of mount2SD? Is it play version? /the one posted in our forum?
I tried the play version both on cm9 and cm10..no problem.. (though a older one)

"How many apps are optimizing? "
Did you install acid /xloud?
cm10 htc a310e k2.6 w /smooth of butter & broke Cam/corder

first i tried the one from our forum it worked no prob but iam the one who is always up to date(with apps and all) so i tried this one(apk)
almost all apps 70-80 apps

Last edited:
Reactions: BleedingIris

Astorcamon

Feb 13, 2013
Nice script, but i have some issues on jb 4.2.1 (Rom: OldDroid CM 10.1 for Ace s5830) (SD: Samsung 32 GB C10)

I need disable "safe mode" to use "move data" or "move dalvik".

As of Script Version 5.5.0 (App version 2.2.0), m2sd has an experimental workaround for devices that is executing init.d from within a service. This workaround will allow you to use the Data and Dalvik option if Safe-mode has been disabled. The workaround however is built using a ugly and possibly unstable hack, so you are advised to make a backup of your /data partition before trying this out, as the success of this workaround might depend on your Device and/or ROM.
[/CODE]
[/LIST]

1 - Moving dalvik did my phone really unstable. (Freezes, crashes, double boot with double optimizing apps, errors on file system, and all you can imagine)

2 - Moving data i get "not enough space" from play store. (Only movable apps can be installed).

3- Using "reverse mount" option, doesn't end booting. (Fails too on DroidAce Rom CM 7.2)

I´m having the same 2 and 3 problems with other xxx2SD scripts.
I followed this steps to install: Wipes and format system > install rom > reboot > install script > format sd to Ext3 or Ext4 > reboot

Last edited:
Reactions: ZenPluS

dk_zero-cool

Nov 6, 2010
Horsens
Re: [App/Script] Mounts2SD - An All-in-one sd-ext solution (2.2.0/5.5.0 - Jan 26, 201

Nice script, but i have some issues on jb 4.2.1 (Rom: OldDroid CM 10.1 for Ace s5830) (SD: Samsung 32 GB C10)

I need disable "safe mode" to use "move data" or "move dalvik".

1 - Moving dalvik did my phone really unstable. (Freezes, crashes, double boot with double optimizing apps, errors on file system, and all you can imagine)

2 - Moving data i get "not enough space" from play store. (Only movable apps can be installed).

3- Using "reverse mount" option, doesn't end booting. (Fails too on DroidAce Rom CM 7.2)

I´m having the same 2 and 3 problems with other xxx2SD scripts.
I followed this steps to install: Wipes and format system > install rom > reboot > install script > format sd to Ext3 or Ext4 > reboot

Like it says. Disabling safe-mode works for some, but not all. The reason safe-mode is even on, is because your ROM executes init.d as a service. The issue is with the ROM. Only fix is to implement proper init.d to your ROM, something many ROM devs has been getting very bad at. Even some official CM roms has started emerging which uses the pure lacy init.d implementation, which does not look good for init.d's future.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

Reactions: Astorcamon

Astorcamon

Feb 13, 2013
Like it says. Disabling safe-mode works for some, but not all. The reason safe-mode is even on, is because your ROM executes init.d as a service. The issue is with the ROM. Only fix is to implement proper init.d to your ROM, something many ROM devs has been getting very bad at. Even some official CM roms has started emerging which uses the pure lacy init.d implementation, which does not look good for init.d's future.

Thx dk_zero, i think that implement a proper init.d is not in my hands. But i can try if anyone knows a way to fix it (?).
I´m new on android :cool: looking for extend the memory of my phone :good:

Negroid

Sep 25, 2010
Houston

I use this app and it works great. One problem though: when I reboot my device, the script sometimes undoes itself and I have to reflash the zip. After I do that, it functions normally but this is really inconvenient. I tried converting the mounts2sd to a system app with titanium backup but that's not preventing the issue. Any suggestions?

Sent from my HTC Sensation using xda app-developers app

dk_zero-cool

Nov 6, 2010
Horsens
I use this app and it works great. One problem though: when I reboot my device, the script sometimes undoes itself and I have to reflash the zip. After I do that, it functions normally but this is really inconvenient. I tried converting the mounts2sd to a system app with titanium backup but that's not preventing the issue. Any suggestions?

Sent from my HTC Sensation using xda app-developers app

Okay that's new, what do you mean by undoes itself?

post-mortem

Oct 4, 2012

When it undoes itself, is the script still present in init.d?

frankfurts

Dec 7, 2011
Hi does this app support SDXC cards? I have a 32Gb SDXC card partitioned with 30gb fat32 and 2gb ext2, mounts2sd doesnt recognise my sd card at all however the stock ROM and Links2SD do.

thanks for any help

Im using a motorola Razr V XT885

lichan

Hi does this app support SDXC cards? I have a 32Gb SDXC card partitioned with 30gb fat32 and 2gb ext2, mounts2sd doesnt recognise my sd card at all however the stock ROM and Links2SD do.

thanks for any help

Im using a motorola Razr V XT885

I am using it in an HTC EVO 4G with a 64 GB micro SDXC, so Mounts2SD does work. I partitioned my card in the recovery (smelkusmod_amon_ra) and converted the sdext partition (2GB) to ext4 and m2sd had no problems recognizing and using it.

frankfurts

Dec 7, 2011

Hmm mine is ext2 what is your main partition? Fat32 or exfat?

Sent from my XT885 using Tapatalk 2

dk_zero-cool

Nov 6, 2010
Horsens

Hmm mine is ext2 what is your main partition? Fat32 or exfat?

Can you provide output from the folder /dev/block/ ? Maybe your kernel uses a different device file name than normally used.

Reactions: frankfurts

frankfurts

Dec 7, 2011

Sorry but how do I do that? Is it the output from ls /dev/block? I'm a bit un educated using the terminal lol

If it helps mounts2sd was working fine on my class 4 16gb card in the same phone.

Hotfingers

Jul 5, 2012
Roodepoort
works perfectly on Sony Experia ARC (2011)

Thanks @dk_zero-cool,

Installed from the play store.

App configured busybox and init.d perfectly without reboots.

Suddenly I lave plenty extra system and data space (all my games and more - no more errors about space running out). :victory:
I'm leaving the default options alone because they work 100%

(my SD card has a 2GB ext partition, no swap partition).

Again, thank-you :)

dk_zero-cool

Nov 6, 2010
Horsens

Sorry but how do I do that? Is it the output from ls /dev/block? I'm a bit un educated using the terminal lol

If it helps mounts2sd was working fine on my class 4 16gb card in the same phone.

Just use root explorer or solid explorer and take a screen shot, but yes "ls /dev/block" if you use terminal.

Also provide log from m2sd while you are at it, you can copy this to the sdcard from the app :)

frankfurts

Dec 7, 2011

Code:
root@umts_yangtze:/ # ls /dev/block
boot          mmcblk1       mmcblk1p22    ram15
cache         mmcblk1boot0  mmcblk1p3     ram2
cdrom         mmcblk1boot1  mmcblk1p4     ram3
cid           mmcblk1p1     mmcblk1p5     ram4
kpanic        mmcblk1p10    mmcblk1p6     ram5
loop0         mmcblk1p11    mmcblk1p7     ram6
loop1         mmcblk1p12    mmcblk1p8     ram7
loop2         mmcblk1p13    mmcblk1p9     ram8
loop3         mmcblk1p14    pds           ram9
loop4         mmcblk1p15    platform      recovery
loop5         mmcblk1p16    ram0          system
loop6         mmcblk1p17    ram1          userdata
loop7         mmcblk1p18    ram10         utags
misc          mmcblk1p19    ram11         vold
mmcblk0       mmcblk1p2     ram12         zram0
mmcblk0p1     mmcblk1p20    ram13
mmcblk0p2     mmcblk1p21    ram14

---------- Post added at 10:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 PM ----------

The script just says

E: the script has not been allowed to fully run at boot.

I checked and the script is in the init.d folder. The Links2sd script runs fine but I did delete this now incase it was interfering but it still won't recognise my SD.

frankfurts

Dec 7, 2011

In appreciate your help but I found a solution. In installed a different init.d script over the mounts2sd one and it all works fine :) thanks for helping out.

gu5t3r

May 30, 2012

Code:
root@umts_yangtze:/ # ls /dev/block
boot          mmcblk1       mmcblk1p22    ram15
cache         mmcblk1boot0  mmcblk1p3     ram2
cdrom         mmcblk1boot1  mmcblk1p4     ram3
cid           mmcblk1p1     mmcblk1p5     ram4
kpanic        mmcblk1p10    mmcblk1p6     ram5
loop0         mmcblk1p11    mmcblk1p7     ram6
loop1         mmcblk1p12    mmcblk1p8     ram7
loop2         mmcblk1p13    mmcblk1p9     ram8
loop3         mmcblk1p14    pds           ram9
loop4         mmcblk1p15    platform      recovery
loop5         mmcblk1p16    ram0          system
loop6         mmcblk1p17    ram1          userdata
loop7         mmcblk1p18    ram10         utags
misc          mmcblk1p19    ram11         vold
mmcblk0       mmcblk1p2     ram12         zram0
mmcblk0p1     mmcblk1p20    ram13
mmcblk0p2     mmcblk1p21    ram14

---------- Post added at 10:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 PM ----------

The script just says

E: the script has not been allowed to fully run at boot.

I checked and the script is in the init.d folder. The Links2sd script runs fine but I did delete this now incase it was interfering but it still won't recognise my SD.

Link2SD installs in 2 places, init.d & /system/etc/install_recovery.sh
You need to delete them both and also delete /data/sdext2 folder to get rid of link2sd...

frankfurts

Dec 7, 2011

Cheers I was trying to work out why my sd ext was still in use by another script. In didn't realise about the recovery.sh

Edit : All fixed thank you :D

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Mounts2SD - Storage & Memory Management

The Opening Post (OP) has been moved to a new DevDB Section

This Thread has been assigned as an Q&A.
    You should see a new pane above where you can navigate this project.
    About dalvik-cache? It remains in phone memory?

dalvik-cache remains, so does all of the app related data. Only the APK's is moved.

Hi I cant understand How to use it ! any guide ?!

First of all you need a custom rom. If you have a stock rom it will not work since you need a rom that will allow custom scripts during boot.

You will also need to know how to use ADB (An android tool for communicating with your phone. It is used to enter the android shell and also to transfer files to and from the phone, among other things).

And last, you will need at least 2 or 3 partitions on your sdcard (Otherwise it's a waste of time, although the script is build to adapt for these scenarios). One as a regular fat32 sdcard partition, one for the sd-ext and one for the cache. (Use ext2 for the last two. ext3 will eat your card to fast)

Here is the steps (You need to have ADB working on your computer).

1. Copy/Paste the script content into a file editor and safe the file with the name "99mounts2sd"
    2. Plug your phone to your computer using a usb cable (Select charge only on your phone))
    3. Open a terminal on your computer (In windows use "run" and type "cmd")
    4. Type in shell: "adb shell mount -o remount,rw /system"
    5. Type in shell: "adb push <path to script> /system/etc/init.d/"
    6. Type in shell: "adb shell chmod a+x /system/etc/init.d/99mounts2sd"
    7. Reboot your phone

The first time you boot your phone using the script it will take some time, because the script needs to copy all of your APK's from internal storage to the sd-ext partition.
    Within a week or so, I will release a new major update of Mounts2SD, which will contain

1. New Re-written script with additional new option
      1. Seperate option for app libraries (Android 4.x)
      2. New option to move /data/media (The new type of internal sdcard used on Samsung among others)
      3. Ability to enable ZRAM
      4. Ability to set preferred scheduler on external and internal MMC
      5. Ability to also set readahead on internal MMC
      6. Ability to set preferred storage threshold, or disable it (Instead of hard coded value)
      7. The finalising part has been added to a sub-process which is started by the app itself. This is no longer depended on the app to execute it after boot
      8. Default values will be configured based on the device and it's abilities
      9. And more....
    2. New Re-written app
      1. Live overview (No more pre-defined onboot status properties)
      2. New layout
        1. 3 different layout's for small phones screens, normal phone screens and tablet screens (And of cause different landscape/portrait layouts for each of them)
      3. Only allow the owner to control the script (Android 4.2 multi-user)
      4. New Re-written RootFW (Spazedog Root Framework)
      5. New and better extended AsyncTask for background loading
      6. Overview and Configure will now adapt to the abilities available on the device (For an example, SWAP will not be displayed at all on devices without SWAP suppport)
      7. And more...

However, before this is finished, I would like it very much if someone could provide me with a version of /system/etc/recovery.sh after Link2SD has added whatever content it adds to this file, so that I can update the auto sd-ext deletion script to better remove Link2SD from a device. I have tried installing Link2SD on two of my test devices, but on neither was anything added to this file. So for now I have just update the deletion script to also include the Link2SD app, which should take care of most of the problems when migrating from this.
    Test Package Available

I have added a test package to the OP under the category "Testing Downloads" containing a preview of the upcoming version. This package is NOT a recovery package. It is just an archive containing the app and the script, you will have to manually copy the script to the init.d location (Not yet implemented in the app) and you will have to manually configure the script using the /data/property/m2sd.* files (also, not yet implemented in the app). There are two APK's in the package which uses two different themes (will be changeable in the app when it is done).

The script should be finished, I have used it myself for the past month, but some more test devices would not hurt. The app however still have some work to be done. The overview is working fine, but I have yet to add some persistent storage for the configurations, so there will be a lot of loading each time you open it. Also there is still no configurations, no log viewer and no app settings for script installation, theme changer and so fourth.

This is only meant for some early testing, mostly to test the script. It is not a finished product, so don't provide bug reports about missing app features, extensive app loading, missing Aroma installer and so on. All will be available soon. At this point I am only interested in script issues and possible issues with the app overview screen.

The Script

• Move Applications, Application Data, Application Libraries, Dalvik-cache and Data Media (Internal Storage) to sd-ext
    • Supports any file system type supported by the kernel
    • Handles Unix Lost+Found folder content to avoid having it take up to much disk usage
    • Supports SWAP and ZRAM (If kernel supports it)
    • Move the main cache partition to data or sd-ext, depending on available space
    • Change storage threshold to minimize the Android low storage market issue
    • Set Readahead and Scheduler for both internal and external MMC
    • Sets optimized mount parameters on the internal partitions
    • Safe-mode and new alternative work-around for service implemented init.d ROM's
    • Compares content with available disk space before moving content around to avoid corrupted data
    • More than a half dozen mount operations to ensure successful sd-ext mount, despite possible issues
    • File system check and repair
    • Enable/Disable ext4 journal
    • Supports storing system applications on /data and /sd-ext
    • A large number of different safe guards to avoid all kinds of thinkable issues
    • Fully adapts to different shell environments
    • 100% functional programming structure (Much better code overview)
    • Properly more...

The APP

• Fully working live overview (No more comparing static status properties)
    • Uses my TaskManager project (Handles background work much better)
    • Uses my latest RootFW from the development branch
    • Contains 5 different tab layouts which will be used depending on screen size and rotation
    • Contains both a light and dark theme
    New release is out, and Play Store is finally updated as well. Just missing the recovery package, which I will have ready during the weekend.

One notice about this release.
    I have added an additional tab entry with the feature of converting apps into system apps. This feature is a paid one, as this seamed like a good way of adding some donations. And because this is only more or less meant as a donation, the downloads on XDA is fully unlocked. Just note that if you install or update from Play Store, you will get a locked version without this additional feature.

Also, the current feature is only a small start. I am going to add more individual application features to this tab.