restore tf101 to stock rom and recovery

Search This thread

scottharris4

Oct 5, 2011
How do I restore my tf101 (b80) to stock rom and recovery? I found one thread, but it said it didn't work with ones b70 or higher.

I currently have CWM recovery and Cynogenmod 10 if that makes any difference

Last edited:

baseballfanz

Oct 19, 2010
Sugar Land TX
Samsung Galaxy A52 5G
How do I restore my tf101 (b80) to stock rom and recovery? I found one thread, but it said it didn't work with ones b70 or higher.

Go to Asus website, download the latest firmware.
Extract the zip file from within, flash in recovery (clear data, cache and dalvik cache first)
After it's done, reboot and you'll be stock ROM, unroot, w/ stock recovery.

darkmage1975

Sep 3, 2006
Extract the zip file from within, flash in recovery (clear data, cache and dalvik cache first)

Same problem. Latest firmware downloaded from Asus website, installed with CWM recovery, rebooted aaaand ... nothing changed!

How's that possible? I can install a custom ROM but not the stock one?

Woody

Retired Admin - Vacationing in Nanda Parbat
Nov 18, 2010
Immersed in Dark Matter
Did you extract the zip before you flashed it like Baseball said?

Asus has a zip within a zip. Wrap your mind around that one.

darkmage1975

Sep 3, 2006
Did you extract the zip before you flashed it like Baseball said?

Asus has a zip within a zip. Wrap your mind around that one.

Yes done, even if I don't understand why Asus put a zip inside a zip ...

Anyway, I did a full wipe, reinstalled the stock ROM, but no luck: CWM seemed to install the ROM, but when I rebooted I found the same old custom ROM ...

I must add that in the custom ROM I installed before (AOKP) 3G and WiFi also don't work ... this is why I want to rollback to the stock one.

baseballfanz

Oct 19, 2010
Sugar Land TX
Samsung Galaxy A52 5G
Yes done, even if I don't understand why Asus put a zip inside a zip ...

Anyway, I did a full wipe, reinstalled the stock ROM, but no luck: CWM seemed to install the ROM, but when I rebooted I found the same old custom ROM ...

I must add that in the custom ROM I installed before (AOKP) 3G and WiFi also don't work ... this is why I want to rollback to the stock one.

You getting any message during flash procedure?
Did it say success or Status 7 or anything?

Try TWRP recovery and see if it work.

udupa82

Aug 8, 2011
Use "easy flasher" to relock and go back to stock ICS...

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using xda app-developers app

phazer11

Aug 22, 2012
I'm getting

Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Installing update...
assert failed: write_raw_image ("/tmp/blob", "staging")
E:Error in /sdcard/US_epad-user-9.2.1.27.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted

I'm going from Megatron ICS

Last edited:

VITUSH

Jul 24, 2011
I'm getting

Installing update...
(Status 7)
Installation aborted

Iam getting exactly the same error, does anyone knows how to fix this?
I do remember rolling back to stock by simply flashing the zip provided by asus, but after the RMA Iam getting this error.

---------- Post added at 10:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 PM ----------

the only way I can think of is using this method: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1622628 just copy the blob file and do the adb magic trick, but I find it kinda risky.

---------- Post added at 11:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 PM ----------

So I managed to "fix" this (I had no idea what I was doing):

1. flash old roach 3.2.0.1 recovery http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1213723 (link at the very bottom of first post)
2. place a zip file from ASUS (one that contains a blob file) on sdcard root and name it "update.zip"
3. in roach recovery wipe cache/data/dalvik and select apply update from /sdcard/update.zip
4. tada

hope this is gonna work for you as well

phoeniix

Nov 20, 2007
California
Thanks

I do remember rolling back to stock by simply flashing the zip provided by asus, but after the RMA Iam getting this error.

---------- Post added at 10:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 PM ----------

the only way I can think of is using this method: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1622628 just copy the blob file and do the adb magic trick, but I find it kinda risky.

---------- Post added at 11:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 PM ----------

1. flash old roach 3.2.0.1 recovery http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1213723 (link at the very bottom of first post)
2. place a zip file from ASUS (one that contains a blob file) on sdcard root and name it "update.zip"
3. in roach recovery wipe cache/data/dalvik and select apply update from /sdcard/update.zip
4. tada

Thanks Vitush, switching back to roach then flashing the zip within zip from ASUS website worked for me.

Last edited:

carkev

Jan 4, 2009
www.kevbro.uk
I can't thank you enough Vitush!
it all worked perfectly for me, particularly as I was at this stage 2 days ago when I first got my Asus!

I had done many things since - rooting with 1click went fine, and I made 2 backups before I then I tried roms from here:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2592890 and here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2592890
both went on fine, and seemed great, but then I noticed that my sdcard was not showing in either rom, nor were my USB sticks!
I had lost all external storage! ... all in all quite a disaster, and my wife was doing her head in!

I spent ages trying to sort this out, and failed, so I went to put my backups back on, but they also failed with 'android_secure.img not found'
and my tablet just kept hanging at tha Asus logo. fortunately I was able to get back to CWM and did what you advised.

over the years I have rooted many many Android phones with no problems, but this is my first tablet.
for once I will accept defeat and stick with the stock rom (I may still root it though)

I could hug you!

doublehp

Jul 14, 2009
Normal boot says "encryption unsuccessfull, encryption was interrupted and can't complete" (but I can see the MTP device over USB). In recovery mode, Windows does not see the device at all (can't install APX). Is it possible that the recovery is also bricked ?

barkeater

Aug 15, 2014
Buffalo NY
Last edited:

doublehp

Jul 14, 2009
you must first install the naked drivers. Here is a tutorial on how to install the naked drivers http://www.transformerforums.com/forum/asus-transformer-tf101-development/31927-frederuco-s-guide-root-rom-tf101.html.

Now that we have the Naked Drivers boot to APX mode. Attach your USB to your tablet (not the dock) and Hold VOL UP and POWER for 15-20 seconds.

I am not sure what APX mode is.

In normal boot, I only get the encruption error message. No way to enter normal Android to activate USB debug. TF101 is seen by computer as MTP device.

If I press vol-down, and power, then vol-up, I get a droid with blue cube, then, with a red keyboard and a triangle, and PC can not see device at all.

Both were tried with dock. Without dock, tablet is in heavy trouble to start; proably dead battery.

If it can help, I can open the tablet, change the battery, power directly via the battery pins, or mess a bit with inernal components.

Is that tablet completely bricked ?

barkeater

Aug 15, 2014
Buffalo NY
TF101s are pretty resilient and can usually be restored to stock. However, your easiest path to doing that is to enter APX mode and use the Easyflasher app. Did you check out the link I included in my post above from Transformerforums? In it, at the beginning it explains how to enter APX mode. It requires the naked drivers to be installed on your computer that you will be connecting the tablet to (undocked). Once the naked drivers have been installed successfully, you can then connect the tablet to the computer via the data cable and hold down the power and volume up (+) at same time till screen goes black. You can verify that the tablet is in APX by opening Device Manager on computer and you should see the ASUS device identified as being in APX mode.

doublehp

Jul 14, 2009
My setup is complicated; I don't have a legacy Windows; Windows is installed inside an emulator inside Linux. So, I plug the tablet on the Linux workstation, and then, I forward the device to the Windows emulator. The thing is that, in recovery mode, Linux does not see any device at all. This means, the tablet does not declare itself at all on the USB bus. The question is not about drivers, or compatibility: the tablet does not annouce itself on the USB bus.

I know how the USB works; I worked a bit on USB drivers. I messed with them a lot a few ears ago. And I know how my Android phones behave.

The tablet behaves like a phone which has "USB debugging" unticked. And since the system is unaccessible, I can not tick that. On my phones, the tick has effect on recovery mode.

Even if I installed the APX drivers on an other computer with a real Windows, I just can't see how it would see the tablet, if the tablet refuses to be a USB client.

But, the cable and plugs are good: when I boot in normal mode, and get the encryption error message, the tablet comes out on the bus, and Windows can see an MTP device.

Are the APX Windows drivers required to make the table become a USB client ? This is very unlikely. Am I in the only case in the world where an emulator would be an issue due to hardware reasons ? Which kind of signal would the Windows driver send to the bus to tell an undeclared tablet "hey buddy, come around, I am waiting for you" ? This would not seem "USB compliant" to me, to have communication with a device hidden on the bus. I am not aware of any kind of USB droadcast.

And yes, I tried withOUT the dock.

Trying again now: in crashed mode, I get: Bus 002 Device 005: ID 0b05:4e0f ASUSTek Computer, Inc.

In recovery mode, I get no new device.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I'm getting

Installing update...
    (Status 7)
    Installation aborted

4. tada

use this tool, it shld work http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1688012