(How To) Root your pantech crossover. 2.2.1 p8000

Search This thread

Black_reign32

Jan 12, 2012
Lykens
?

ok, so i have a Pantech Crossover running android 2.2.1 and ive followed all the steps i have, (starting from scratch)
-Turned on the phone
-put it into USB Debugging
-unmounted the Sd card (per Shortfuse instructions)
- installed SDK manager
- changed the directory, and ran adb devices. it showed on the device list.
- i opened superoneclick 2.2 (for it is one of the only ones with Gingerbreak)
-i selected Gingerbreak in the exploit menu
-i clicked root
it stops at step 7 - Waiting for device

ive even went as far as using a different computer (i use Windows 7, so i tried Xp)
i even tried keeping the sd card mounted and it still doesnt work... anything im missing? do pantech phones have a download/update/recovery mode?

Black_reign32

Jan 12, 2012
Lykens
OK I screwed something way UP! I have flashed a lot of phone, rooted them and such as well. I made the mistake of trying to flash Clockworkmod Recovery for a different device on the crossover and now I can not access recovery from anywhere! Not the external button method, not the Rom manager method, not the adb method, nothing! How can I get the stock recovery options back? How can I flash clockworkmod?

whats the external button method???

BigHulkDiesel

Dec 3, 2009
I did as much research as you can do on it and I believe you hold down the power button until the pantech logo appears and then you immediately hold volume down and the home button until you see the android guy.

420lyfestylez

Jul 16, 2011
Rooting Pantech Crossover - Easiest Way

1. Download & install File Expert from the android market.
2. Go 2 settings, then applications & Enable unknown sources & usb debugging.
3. Download & install Terminal Emulator from the android market.
4. Download & install Gingerbreak.apk using Google.
5. Pun Gingerbreak on the microSD card & install it using File Expert.
6. Open Gingerbreak & click "Root Device"

The phone will restart & is now rooted
Open up the Terminal Emulator, type "su" & hit enter. Choose the allow option to get Superuser Permissions

4 convenience, I uploaded the all apps needed. There is no possible way of this not working & messing up your phone. You don't even need a pc do do this.

Attachments

• GingerBreak-v1.20.apk
    295.2 KB · Views: 750
Last edited:

420lyfestylez

Jul 16, 2011
How 2 boot into stock recovery

It's very easy, I figured it out myself:
1. Turn off the phone.
2. Press & hold the Volume Down & Home buttons, then press & hold the Power
button. Keep all 3 buttons held until the Android appears.
3. Release the 3 buttons & push the Home button.
4. Use the slideout keyboard 2 navigate.

Done!!!

pitbulldog911

Jan 25, 2012
pantech root

I have found a way to root pantech crossover with out needing to plug up to a pc ,this is how u do it download a apk file called gingerbrake know if u have fw 2.2.1 or higher this will work all the way up to gingerbread u can get the apk file on 4shared or u can pm me and I will email u the apk u must have debug on and must have unknown sor on.

Sent from pantech crossover p8000 rooted with gingerbrake

---------- Post added at 02:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:15 AM ----------

[/COLOR 420lyfestylez Your gingerbrake apk is out dated pm me for new or email me at bigcityrooster@yahoo.com

Last edited:

41rw4lk

Open up the Terminal Emulator, type "su" & hit enter. Choose the allow option to get Superuser Permissions

4 convenience, I uploaded the all apps needed. There is no possible way of this not working & messing up your phone. You don't even need a pc do do this.

Just rooted my crossover this way. It was easier than SuperOneClick and actually worked. Thanks

JahCartel

Feb 22, 2012
Central, VA

Just posting to let anyone who may have this phone that the above rooting method also worked for me.. no issues thus far

removed alot of bloatware, got custom lockscreen, removed stocklockscreen, and a custom home :)

Attachments

• snap20120222_171649.png
    snap20120222_171649.png
    137.1 KB · Views: 162

breakin2thenight

Mar 1, 2012
ohio
rooting my phone with gingerbreak took care of it. thank you for the recommendation!

a few notes:

don't try mounting your mtdblock devices without knowing what they are...good way to brick the phone :p
600mhz is awesome in the right hands, don't let it get you down
the default keymaps stored in /system/usr/key*/qwerty.* are wrong. back those up and copy the /system/usr/key*/surf_keypad.* over them. then you won't hate connectbot and things like that :D

Tankspwnu

Mar 5, 2012
Followed 420's instructions and successfully rooted my Crossover! Very simple, not stressful and great instructions! Thank you

zhenry

Apr 8, 2012
Root after Gingerbread update

I rooted my crossover using the gingerbreak apk as described and it went off without a hitch. However, I updated my phone yesterday from froyo to gingerbread (update just released) and now gingerbreak just hangs. In addition, the pantech drivers for the sdk don't seem to be working the same way either.

Has anyone had any success rooting this phone in any other way? I'm thinking the gingerbread update may have been a mistake. The only complaint I had with froyo was that i couldn't get cifs.ko to work, but I won't be able to make any progress on that front on gingerbread either unless I can get root.

Thanks for any help

shieldwolf342

May 22, 2009
does anyone have a factory image for this phone I bought the phone used and it was upgraded to 2.3 already and I would rather have root access since any method ive tried to root the 2.3.6 firmware doesnt seem to work.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Rooting Pantech Crossover - Easiest Way

Pantech crossover how to root.

1. install Android sdk and update.
    2. enable usb debuging on your phone.
    3. Download and install the pc suite to get the adb driver for the crossover.
    http://www.pantechusa.com/support/crossover_p8000
    4. download and extract superoneclick http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=803682
    5. make sure that adb can see your device. From a command prompt change directory to the place that you installed the android sdk android-sdk\platform-tools and run "adb devices" you should see your device connected.
    6. run superoneclick.exe make sure that you select GingerBreak from the exploit menu
    7. donate me.

I am running kernel version 2.6.32.9
    Root Your Pantech Crossover [P8000] (GingerBread 2.3.6)

Root Your Pantech Crossover [P8000] (GingerBread 2.3.6)

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=26635332
    Worked For Me

I followed the instructions to a T and it worked for me. Thanks a lot josefcrist.
    its keeps not responding and freezes after i click root "adb is seeing my device "

Did you make sure and select gingerbreak?