[APP][7.0+][ARM64/ARM32/x86/x86_64] Live Earth Wallpapers from the Pixel (UPD 3/3/17)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Quinny899

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Jan 26, 2011
Salford, Greater Manchester, UK
quinny898.co.uk
This is a backport of the Live Earth wallpapers from the Pixel devices/Android 7.1 to 7.0. It crashes on 6.0, so don't even ask for anything lower than 7.0 :(

I backported this by doing the following:
- Decompile the app
- Copy the resources/manifest to a new Android Studio product with the same package name, but with minsdk 24
- Build project and fix errors with AppCompat/Re-import AppCompat to keep compatibility
- Copy classes.dex, assets and com from the original APK to the new APK
- Remove META-INF and re-sign with own signature

This worked.

However, it still crashed on my 5X due to lack of library files. So I went back into the system dump, and found them (in the lib64 folder, the priv-app/WallpapersBReel/libs folder contained symlinks). Copied them into the lib/arm64-v8a folder of the APK for easy install and now it works fine.

Live wallpaper locations included in this app:
- Arches National Park, Moab, Utah
- Garden, Kent, United Kingdom
- Half Dome, Yosemite National Park, CA
- Pantheon, Rome, Italy
- Shinjuku, Tokyo, Japan
- Whitehaven Beach, Queensland, Australia
- Horizon
- Your world, Solar System, which centres on your current location and shows the correct lighting for the current time

Screenshots don't really do these wallpapers justice, but here's a gallery if you can't watch a video

Screenshot of the most impressive in my opinion, the globe which always centres your position and reacts to light:
mqyGBlel.png
0VCFBn7l.png

(Examples of night [UK] and day [Mountain View, CA]. Full size images in gallery above)

Strangely, B-Reel (who made these wallpapers with Google) did have a page showcasing them, but it now 404s. Thankfully, the Google Cache for it still works and I took a screenshot of the whole page so it's never lost, which can be found here: http://i.imgur.com/Ez8Y5cX.jpg

Video including setting, swiping and screen unlock animations for each: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkZsLqozdHA

The APK is a massive 80.6MB, 90MB when installed. This is because it contains a load of models for the areas:

Download for ARM64 devices
Download for ARM 32 bit devices (YOUR WORLD, SOLAR SYSTEM IS NOW WORKING)
(If you are having trouble with this APK and your wallpaper is too dark, try this port)
Download for x86 32 bit devices
Download for x86 64 bit devices

Note that it will ONLY work on Android 7.0+. There is an experimental Android 6.0 port here, but it's ARM64 only

FAQ
- ARM32 (more commonly known as just "ARM") live earth when?
ARM32 support is now available, as the SDK images are now available
When either an official beta of 7.1.1 comes out for the Nexus 6 WITH THE LIBS INCLUDED or an ARM system image for the AVD with Android 7.1.1 and the libs
- Why does the earth on my wallpaper look smaller/bigger than the one in the screenshots?
It changes throughout the day and night. Use the phone for a few hours and it will change for you
- Why is my location wrong on the map even when I've given the location permission?
No idea. This has happened to a few people, some are saying that changing your device's language changes the location also, others not. It might be a bug, which I'm not responsible for.

A note about signatures, trojans and decompilation after the arguments with the Google Camera port:
This APK is signed with my personal signature, and only mine. I personally decompiled the APK pulled straight from the system dump, did the steps above in a properly set up Android Studio install and rebuilt it, copying the original files and libs. It's had no contact with any tools other than APKtool, Android Studio, and jarsigner. It's also impossible to keep the original Google signature due to the nature of backporting. Whilst it turned out that the Google Camera wasn't in fact infected, but had shared a signature from a popular signing tool with a piece of actual malware (which triggered the checkers), I try to be as careful as possible with sources and I can assure you that this APK is clean.

Last edited:

MrBIMC

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 30, 2012
Chernihiv
Yes, but we'd need a single .so file we don't have: libgeswallpapers_jni.so

Yeah, I already found out. So, if google will not release it (I'm pretty sure they won't), then we need someone with IDA pro and decent knowledge of reverse engineering to get this working. I hope someone will do this.

kentexcitebot

Mar 30, 2014
Moorpark
This is a backport of the Live Earth wallpapers from the Pixel devices/Android 7.1 to 7.0. It crashes on 6.0, so don't even ask for anything lower than 7.0 :(

OnePlus 3 user here. I couldn't get this to work, force closes whenever I select the live wallpaper.

Just an overview of my device configuration: OnePlus 3 is 64 bits. I'm running an unofficial build of Nougat on my device. I've modified my build.prop so Google Assistant would work along with installing Pixel launcher, Pixel Wallpaper chooser, Gradient live wallpaper, and Pixel stock wallpaper. All of the APKs (including this one) are at /system/priv-app with rw-r-r permissions. Any suggestions? Attached a logcat in case that helps.

Attachments

• 2016-10-15-19-11-54.zip
    99.6 KB · Views: 3,683
  • Screenshot_20161015-193128.png
    Screenshot_20161015-193128.png
    141.9 KB · Views: 11,423
Last edited:

Darr73

Mar 8, 2014
plus.google.com
Absolutely stunning thanks for such an awesome job getting these across and working. Installed on the Nexus 6P your so right the still images just don't do them justice at all. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I backported this by doing the following:
    - Decompile the app
    - Copy the resources/manifest to a new Android Studio product with the same package name, but with minsdk 24
    - Build project and fix errors with AppCompat/Re-import AppCompat to keep compatibility
    - Copy classes.dex, assets and com from the original APK to the new APK
    - Remove META-INF and re-sign with own signature

This worked.

However, it still crashed on my 5X due to lack of library files. So I went back into the system dump, and found them (in the lib64 folder, the priv-app/WallpapersBReel/libs folder contained symlinks). Copied them into the lib/arm64-v8a folder of the APK for easy install and now it works fine.

Live wallpaper locations included in this app:
    - Arches National Park, Moab, Utah
    - Garden, Kent, United Kingdom
    - Half Dome, Yosemite National Park, CA
    - Pantheon, Rome, Italy
    - Shinjuku, Tokyo, Japan
    - Whitehaven Beach, Queensland, Australia
    - Horizon
    - Your world, Solar System, which centres on your current location and shows the correct lighting for the current time

Screenshots don't really do these wallpapers justice, but here's a gallery if you can't watch a video

Screenshot of the most impressive in my opinion, the globe which always centres your position and reacts to light:
    mqyGBlel.png
    0VCFBn7l.png

(Examples of night [UK] and day [Mountain View, CA]. Full size images in gallery above)

Strangely, B-Reel (who made these wallpapers with Google) did have a page showcasing them, but it now 404s. Thankfully, the Google Cache for it still works and I took a screenshot of the whole page so it's never lost, which can be found here: http://i.imgur.com/Ez8Y5cX.jpg

Video including setting, swiping and screen unlock animations for each: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkZsLqozdHA

The APK is a massive 80.6MB, 90MB when installed. This is because it contains a load of models for the areas:

Download for ARM64 devices
    Download for ARM 32 bit devices (YOUR WORLD, SOLAR SYSTEM IS NOW WORKING)
    (If you are having trouble with this APK and your wallpaper is too dark, try this port)
    Download for x86 32 bit devices
    Download for x86 64 bit devices

Note that it will ONLY work on Android 7.0+. There is an experimental Android 6.0 port here, but it's ARM64 only

FAQ
    - ARM32 (more commonly known as just "ARM") live earth when?
    ARM32 support is now available, as the SDK images are now available
    When either an official beta of 7.1.1 comes out for the Nexus 6 WITH THE LIBS INCLUDED or an ARM system image for the AVD with Android 7.1.1 and the libs
    - Why does the earth on my wallpaper look smaller/bigger than the one in the screenshots?
    It changes throughout the day and night. Use the phone for a few hours and it will change for you
    - Why is my location wrong on the map even when I've given the location permission?
    No idea. This has happened to a few people, some are saying that changing your device's language changes the location also, others not. It might be a bug, which I'm not responsible for.

A note about signatures, trojans and decompilation after the arguments with the Google Camera port:
    This APK is signed with my personal signature, and only mine. I personally decompiled the APK pulled straight from the system dump, did the steps above in a properly set up Android Studio install and rebuilt it, copying the original files and libs. It's had no contact with any tools other than APKtool, Android Studio, and jarsigner. It's also impossible to keep the original Google signature due to the nature of backporting. Whilst it turned out that the Google Camera wasn't in fact infected, but had shared a signature from a popular signing tool with a piece of actual malware (which triggered the checkers), I try to be as careful as possible with sources and I can assure you that this APK is clean.
    The Nexus 6 OTA & Images are out, but DO NOT contain the required lib. The SDK images for ARM32 are still nowhere to be seen
    Will it ever be possible to get 32bit version of it?

Yes, but we'd need a single .so file we don't have: libgeswallpapers_jni.so
    could you please upload your in s4mini functioning one?

This one works for me on S4 mini (serranoltexx).

Unfortunately, I am not able to directly post a link due to low number of my posts. Insert drive.google.com in front of the following path.
    /file/d/0B4KOdqs1s8cCZDVSM0hKbzVtWnM/view?usp=sharing
    WlNZdFK.png

The new developer preview (and therefore probably the release version) of Android 7.1 has these wallpapers! They're not pixel exclusives!

I've so far pulled the x86_64 libs and am currently downloading the x86 system image to pull the x86 libs from, so this backport should work on those builds with them. There are no ARM32 previews however, so the waiting game continues