[ROM][NOOKHD/HD+][EMMC] UNOFFICIAL CM12.0 NookHD/HD+ (LP 5.0.x) [2015-02-17]

Search This thread

Hashcode

Senior Recognized Developer
Sep 3, 2011
UNOFFICIAL CyanogenMod 12.0 for NookHD/HD+ (Ovation/Hummingbird)

*** USE AT YOUR OWN RISK! WHILE I TRY MY BEST TO PROVIDE WORKING KERNELS/ROMS, I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF THIS SOFTWARE OR ANYTHING I'VE WORKED ON SUDDENLY FRIES YOUR DEVICE. ***

CHECK KNOWN ISSUES BEFORE FLASHING. MAY NOT BE GOOD ENOUGH FOR DAILY USE.

I know I'm not very common around the Nook forums, but I happen to own a NookHD+ (Ovation) (thanks to verygreen) and thought I'd take some time to update the Android build for Lollipop support. I've installed this build on my own device, and I'm quite pleased with it as an *ALPHA* release.

This may not be good enough for your parent's Nook HD/HD+ or for a novice Android user which is uncomfortable with bugs or future issues.

NOTE: CM12 is not a finished product and it will continue to get better over time. See KNOWN ISSUES section for more information.

Updated EMMC TWRP 2.8.3.0 builds for Ovation/Hummingbird
[Coming up with install instructions and a flashable .zip to update the emmc recovery. For now, you *should* be able to install CM12 w/ your current recovery -- MAKE A BACKUP FIRST]

Download Google Apps for Android 5.0:
http://d-h.st/users/dhacker29/?fld_id=27426#files
(Choose newest gapps-lp-* file and use the "Download Now" button)

NOTES:
  • First boot after a clean wipe will take a LONG time. Be patient. (Like 7-8 minutes on boot animation)
  • If updating from Kitkat, you may need to move the /data/misc/wifi directory out of the way if you have any wifi connection issues. In Lollipop, the Nook's are setup for using AOSP standard wpa_supplicant as opposed to TI's modified wpa_supplicant, and there may be some Kitkat settings which cause issues.

MEGA Download Mirror (2014-02-17):
(Currently, having issues uploading to XDA's Download Page)
Hummingbird: https://mega.co.nz/#!3R0TAKIT!VRmgDKaEUhRm21pOq9doE1IPfPGS8UGMQEjBEesGc5s
Ovation: https://mega.co.nz/#!TBchSLBZ!7qLSjDZqVYxDIU_U1yCt39Ad82wfgkpWX0W4ny4Nhwk

Unofficial builds can be found here:
Mirror 1: XDA Downloads

CHANGES:
  • [02/17] Added Widevine L3 binaries from Bacon for Google Play Movies support (thanks @stargo)
  • [02/17] Added Netflix fix in media_codecs (thanks @stargo)
  • [02/17] Fixed Wifi MAC script
  • [02/17] Includes missing Hummingbird panel support (thanks @verygreen)
  • [02/17] Built using re-structured hardware/ti/omap4 repo in CM
  • [01/11] WLAN fixes
  • [01/11] /sdcard/ symlink fixed
  • [01/11] Added 64mb zram swap and experimenting with oom values to get best performance
  • [01/11] Screen off animation fixed
  • [01/11] Added multi-user setting
  • [01/07] 1st Hummingbird release
  • [01/04] Kernel is updated to 3.0.72 Google/common kernel
  • [01/04] Kernel support for F2FS (needs a recovery which also supports this, and a re-format of the /data partition -- see updated TWRP information which is coming soon)
  • [01/04] Various kernel security patches and updates for added Android L functionality
  • [01/04] New Audio HAL which is Android L compatible and uses mixer_paths.xml file (some functionality was probably lost during this transition, like BT SCO. But, A2DP should still work fine -- needs testing)
  • [01/04] Updated device setup for Android L (sources to be updated over the next week)
  • [01/04] 1st public release for Ovation (I'll probably work on a Hummingbird release as I get time)

KNOWN ISSUES:
Use XDA Bug Reporter

SCREEN SHOTS:
Use XDA Screenshots

XDA:DevDB Information
CM12.0 NookHD/HD+ (Ovation/Hummingbird) - LP 5.0.x, ROM for the Barnes & Noble Nook HD, HD

Contributors
Hashcode
Source Code: http://www.github.com/CyanogenMod

ROM OS Version: 5.0.x Lollipop
ROM Kernel: Linux 3.0.x
Based On: CyanogenMod

Version Information
Beta Release Date: 2015-02-17

Created 2015-01-05
Last Updated 2015-02-17

Attachments

• device-2015-01-04-210950.jpg
    device-2015-01-04-210950.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 52,249
  • device-2015-01-04-211034.jpg
    device-2015-01-04-211034.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 52,229
  • device-2015-01-04-211051.png
    device-2015-01-04-211051.png
    81.9 KB · Views: 51,907

norm883

Dec 1, 2005
Lollipop for Nook HD+ (ovation)

I need to push the updated sources for building Ovation to the CyanogenMod cm-12.0 branches first. And then I'll grab the hummingbird device git and make the needed updates there and have a tester validate the changes. Maybe a week(?) as I'm also very busy with work. :/

Installed and running well. Thank you for this excellent work.

norm883

Reactions: Hashcode

webdroidmt

Dec 20, 2011
NJ
Hash, it's great to see you in the Nook forum and much thanks for bringing LP to this device. You are certainly among other things, (good things) :) King of OMAP. :D

Thanks again Hash!
Mike T

Last edited:
Reactions: Hashcode

dealpapa1

Jul 12, 2008
I need to push the updated sources for building Ovation to the CyanogenMod cm-12.0 branches first. And then I'll grab the hummingbird device git and make the needed updates there and have a tester validate the changes. Maybe a week(?) as I'm also very busy with work. :/

wow you are so great. I can't wait to test it out.:p

Hashcode

Senior Recognized Developer
Sep 3, 2011
I had a hard reboot today while I was browsing a book in Play Books. When I checked /proc/last_kmsg this is what stuck out at me:

Code:
[23159.230377] omapdss DISPC error: VID1_FIFO_UNDERFLOW, disabling VID1
[23159.288665] omapdss DISPC error: VID2_FIFO_UNDERFLOW, disabling VID2
[23159.345550] omapdss DISPC error: SYNC_LOST, disabling LCD
[23159.362335] novatek-panel display0: disable
[23159.487487] novatek-panel display0: enable
[23159.491882] novatek-panel display0: power_on
[23159.713867] novatek-panel display0: power_on done
[23160.292083] PVR_K:(Error): PollForValueKM: Timeout. Expected 0x1 but found 0x0 (mask 0x1). [0, ]
[23160.301513] PVR_K:(Error): SGXInitialise: Wait for uKernel initialisation failed [0, ]

So it looks like we're getting some kind of GPU/Display controller buffer crash. I'll see if I can trace it down as I get time, but for now I'll add to the XDA Bug Reporter section.

keshabbhattarai126

May 23, 2014
Kathmandu
Why nook hd is neglected so much??

I am expecting Android 5.0 based cm12 for nook hd.. Feeling so sad. Amazon fire hd, nook hd+ already got cm12 but not my pretty nook.. You developer guys don't have nook or what??

Reactions: keshab126

thchipmunk

Jul 3, 2013
Anderson
www.jonnichols.info
I had a hard reboot today while I was browsing a book in Play Books. When I checked /proc/last_kmsg this is what stuck out at me:

Code:
[23159.230377] omapdss DISPC error: VID1_FIFO_UNDERFLOW, disabling VID1
[23159.288665] omapdss DISPC error: VID2_FIFO_UNDERFLOW, disabling VID2
[23159.345550] omapdss DISPC error: SYNC_LOST, disabling LCD
[23159.362335] novatek-panel display0: disable
[23159.487487] novatek-panel display0: enable
[23159.491882] novatek-panel display0: power_on
[23159.713867] novatek-panel display0: power_on done
[23160.292083] PVR_K:(Error): PollForValueKM: Timeout. Expected 0x1 but found 0x0 (mask 0x1). [0, ]
[23160.301513] PVR_K:(Error): SGXInitialise: Wait for uKernel initialisation failed [0, ]

So it looks like we're getting some kind of GPU/Display controller buffer crash. I'll see if I can trace it down as I get time, but for now I'll add to the XDA Bug Reporter section.
That may fit with an issue I had as well. I was browsing through a Google Worksheet using Sheets and the screen flickers. When I tried to print the sheet the device rebooted. I didn't look at an logs yet to see what the issue was.

webdroidmt

Dec 20, 2011
NJ
I have already posted this info in the bug reports section but figured if anyone misses that, it's here.

1. Reboot to recovery is not working. When selected from the advanced power menu, it will instead reboot to the OS.

2. Recent apps menu has a graphical glitch. It will display recent apps as a black box.

3. OK Google is flakey. If you set it up to "detect from any screen", it will bork all system sounds. Unchecking that setting in Google Now, will restore system sound. If you set it up to detect just from the search app, it will somewhat work. It won't kill the system sounds but will be very slow to detect your voice and most of the time, miss most of what you said.

4. Netflix doesn't work. When you select something to watch, it will just stall at the loading screen. This is also an issue on other OMAP devices with Lollipop, may possibly be due to drm??? Fortunately, there is a pretty good workaround for all of us Netflix fans. Here is a version( 3.0.0 ) that will work and the UI is not that old. It's from Android Police on AFH and is clean. :) Once you install it, make sure you don't update it from Play Store. or you'll be back to a non-working version.
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23159073880937064

5. Titanium Backup not working with the built-in superuser. If you try to restore apps, it will just hang indefinitely. I didn't put this in bug reports because it seems to be an issue with Titanium Backup and built-in superuser with Lollipop across other devices. As a workaround, use Chainfire's SuperSU beta 2.44, which I believe is the most current one. http://download.chainfire.eu/693/SuperSU/BETA-SuperSU-v2.44.zip

Overall, the build in itself is pretty stable and knowing Hashcode from previous devices, he will do his best to get this device up to speed.

Mike T

Last edited:

stachu1962

Oct 19, 2012
Issue with Wifi after clean install of CM12

Hi,

I have noticed that after clean install of CM12 on my Nook HD+ I do not have sdcard "directory" any more but "0" directory where all system files were installed. However ES file explorer can't find SDCARD and WiFi is on oly after reboot. When I turn it off I can't make it on back without reboot. (Bluetooth can be switched on and off - no problem).
My Nook apk installed - no problem - but since my attempt to log in through it to my Nook account is crashing every time.

Did I messed up something? Why I do not have sdcard any more?

Thanks for help - Stanislaw, Gdansk, Poland

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UNOFFICIAL CyanogenMod 12.0 for NookHD/HD+ (Ovation/Hummingbird)

*** USE AT YOUR OWN RISK! WHILE I TRY MY BEST TO PROVIDE WORKING KERNELS/ROMS, I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF THIS SOFTWARE OR ANYTHING I'VE WORKED ON SUDDENLY FRIES YOUR DEVICE. ***

CHECK KNOWN ISSUES BEFORE FLASHING. MAY NOT BE GOOD ENOUGH FOR DAILY USE.

I know I'm not very common around the Nook forums, but I happen to own a NookHD+ (Ovation) (thanks to verygreen) and thought I'd take some time to update the Android build for Lollipop support. I've installed this build on my own device, and I'm quite pleased with it as an *ALPHA* release.

This may not be good enough for your parent's Nook HD/HD+ or for a novice Android user which is uncomfortable with bugs or future issues.

NOTE: CM12 is not a finished product and it will continue to get better over time. See KNOWN ISSUES section for more information.

Updated EMMC TWRP 2.8.3.0 builds for Ovation/Hummingbird
    [Coming up with install instructions and a flashable .zip to update the emmc recovery. For now, you *should* be able to install CM12 w/ your current recovery -- MAKE A BACKUP FIRST]

Download Google Apps for Android 5.0:
    http://d-h.st/users/dhacker29/?fld_id=27426#files
    (Choose newest gapps-lp-* file and use the "Download Now" button)

NOTES:
    • First boot after a clean wipe will take a LONG time. Be patient. (Like 7-8 minutes on boot animation)
    • If updating from Kitkat, you may need to move the /data/misc/wifi directory out of the way if you have any wifi connection issues. In Lollipop, the Nook's are setup for using AOSP standard wpa_supplicant as opposed to TI's modified wpa_supplicant, and there may be some Kitkat settings which cause issues.

MEGA Download Mirror (2014-02-17):
    (Currently, having issues uploading to XDA's Download Page)
    Hummingbird: https://mega.co.nz/#!3R0TAKIT!VRmgDKaEUhRm21pOq9doE1IPfPGS8UGMQEjBEesGc5s
    Ovation: https://mega.co.nz/#!TBchSLBZ!7qLSjDZqVYxDIU_U1yCt39Ad82wfgkpWX0W4ny4Nhwk

Unofficial builds can be found here:
    Mirror 1: XDA Downloads

CHANGES:
    • [02/17] Added Widevine L3 binaries from Bacon for Google Play Movies support (thanks @stargo)
    • [02/17] Added Netflix fix in media_codecs (thanks @stargo)
    • [02/17] Fixed Wifi MAC script
    • [02/17] Includes missing Hummingbird panel support (thanks @verygreen)
    • [02/17] Built using re-structured hardware/ti/omap4 repo in CM
    • [01/11] WLAN fixes
    • [01/11] /sdcard/ symlink fixed
    • [01/11] Added 64mb zram swap and experimenting with oom values to get best performance
    • [01/11] Screen off animation fixed
    • [01/11] Added multi-user setting
    • [01/07] 1st Hummingbird release
    • [01/04] Kernel is updated to 3.0.72 Google/common kernel
    • [01/04] Kernel support for F2FS (needs a recovery which also supports this, and a re-format of the /data partition -- see updated TWRP information which is coming soon)
    • [01/04] Various kernel security patches and updates for added Android L functionality
    • [01/04] New Audio HAL which is Android L compatible and uses mixer_paths.xml file (some functionality was probably lost during this transition, like BT SCO. But, A2DP should still work fine -- needs testing)
    • [01/04] Updated device setup for Android L (sources to be updated over the next week)
    • [01/04] 1st public release for Ovation (I'll probably work on a Hummingbird release as I get time)

KNOWN ISSUES:
    Use XDA Bug Reporter

SCREEN SHOTS:
    Use XDA Screenshots

XDA:DevDB Information
    CM12.0 NookHD/HD+ (Ovation/Hummingbird) - LP 5.0.x, ROM for the Barnes & Noble Nook HD, HD

Contributors
    Hashcode
    Source Code: http://www.github.com/CyanogenMod

ROM OS Version: 5.0.x Lollipop
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.0.x
    Based On: CyanogenMod

Version Information
    Beta Release Date: 2015-02-17

Created 2015-01-05
    Last Updated 2015-02-17
    Hi All,

I put some new builds up (links in the OP):
    - Added notes to the OP for changes
    - Using MEGA downloads for the moment as XDA's download page kept giving me errors

Also, I went through and cleared out any resolved issues in the Bug Tracker.

Highlights are:
    - Fixed Netflix (thanks @stargo for his patch)
    - Fixed Google Play Movies (thanks @stargo for testing Bacon Widevine libs)
    - Fixed Wifi MAC issues (forget who pointed out that was broken)
    - Recovery reboot now works thanks to CM patch

Not obvious, but behind the scenes the build now uses an updated hardware/ti/omap4 repo which I put together so that the 10 or so active OMAP4 devices could all stop forking hardware changes:
    https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_hardware_ti_omap4

Obviously, there are more bugs to squash and as I get time, I'll see what I can do.

Enjoy
    New builds are up for both Ovation and Hummingbird.

CHANGELOG (as always: latest CM changes pulled in):
    • WLAN should be fixed. NOTE: You *might* need to delete the /data/misc/wifi directory and reboot to clean up old settings. No p2p function at this time.
      • This also included a fix to the fix-mac/calibrator script. We're using the stock TI .ini file for the appropriate wifi chip.
    • /sdcard/ symlink is now fixed
    • Added 64mb ZRAM swap for this build. It's an experimental change, and I'm still tweaking the oom settings so that the device doesn't spend all day searching to memory to free up.
    • Screen off animation shouldn't be wonky
    • Added multi-user setting (not tested!)
    • new kernel changes:
      • added ARM crypto optimizations (pulled from android-3.4 kernel/common branch)

SOURCES are now also synched up with CM:
    https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_device_bn_common/commits/cm-12.0
    https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_device_bn_ovation/commits/cm-12.0
    https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_device_bn_hummingbird/commits/cm-12.0
    https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_kernel_bn_omap/commits/cm-12.0

Enjoy.
    A Few Updates…

Disabling HW overlays definitely degrades the UI on ovation, so I caved, and setup a build environment, trying to recompile the 3.0 kernel with different patches. In the process, I generated a new CM12 build, assorted boot images, and an updated TWRP 2.8.5 here: https://notredame.box.com/s/26a4bygh9vbaw7jjq08xr5evomvaw5ww.

Now, those dreaded DISPC underflows are mostly gone (not really my credit, probably mostly due to CM12 improvements), except when using the Goggle/AOSP keyboard with the Chrome browser or the search bar. The new build is quite fluid with HW overlays on, so in order to avoid the underflows and inevitable reboots, I switched to Keyboard for Excel, which is surprisingly usable on this tablet. Hacker's Keyboard, and MultiLing derivatives also work without visual glitches, but many modern ones (e.g., Fleksy, Minuum, etc) don't.

The kernel for the CM12 build in that Box folder is completely unchanged, but if you feel like testing random patches, the boot-fifo.img has a few DSS2 changes that seem to delay the reboots after repeated display0 disable/enable events (see patches/series for what's applied). Obviously, most of the heavy lifting for our devices has already been done by @Hashcode, @verygreen, etc, so kudos to them!
    LP 5.1 Update, Promising News on the Kernel Front (3.4)

As people quickly discovered, I uploaded early CM12.1 builds for both hummingbird and ovation. They live in the "LP5.1|CM12.1: Chrome broken, other assorted bugs!!!" folder for now, and are rougher than usual as the name implies. Since there is at least one successful report for each device flavor, I will leave them up till better ones happen.

It's been more or less possible to build staging/cm-12.1 for a week, yet bionic is still broken for our devices, and all Cortex-A9 based ones. I uploaded this fix, my very first Gerrit commit ;) and it shouldn't be long till a hassle-free build is possible (anyone can repopick 92634 till then).

Tried the latest 5.1 for ovation. I had to wipe and start a fresh install (dirty over the 5.0.1 didn't work).
    I think it works better than the previous build, a bit more fluid. no major bugs so far.

Chrome browser will not work. Restored a backup of Chrome from 5.0 build, same error. Tried Chrome Beta, it force closes. Tried Firefox, crashes every time I try to start it. Stock browser seems to work fine. Recent apps menu has a section at the top that is grayed out and says "Couldn't add widget". Everything else seems to be working alright.

For now, it seems that wiping /data is needed, and even then one major bug remains: Chrome and a few other browsers report missing functionality, and crash. This may be related to the SSL changes in CM12 vs AOSP, but either way, should be sorted soon, definitely by the time staging graduates to regular cm-12.1. Other than that, minor annoyances abound: installing local APKs appears to fail with an error message, despite them being installed actually, some UI strings overflow/overlap, etc.

This build is very finnicky. On one flash, touch to talk was enabled on boot. On another flash, both of these fresh, WiFi was nonexistent even after deleting the necessary files and rebooting. And finally, after some combination I cannot even remember, the recent apps menu glitch is gone. Have tried various fixes for Chrome browser, clearing it's data/cache, uninstalling updates to the play store, changing the build.prop build ID, to no avail.

You can keep an eye on what's being merged/fixed here, plus upcoming commits to cherry pick here. By the way, @twiztid_, since we're already making all these changes, I've added F2FS support for /cache (ext4 still works, of course). These commits (92658 & 92659) will probably not be merged anytime soon, but they're available to repopick.

About the few longstanding bugs that remain, notably screen casting, and the Hangouts Dialer crash, I think progress can be made, but haven't been able to pinpoint the exact cause. I've added what appeared to be missing configuration for screen Chromecast-ing, but that may not be enough.

I've added the extra configuration based on this information.

Strange, maybe I'm doing something wrong but adding the patch gives me the same result. Not really a big deal, more of an added bonus feature. I'll try the new build and see if it works.

Tha Hangouts bug is even more problematic, since we do seem to have all the right pieces. I'm hoping it's somehow due to CM12, and not to our audio or kernel config. After the split into common plus device-specific kernel config, it's harder to compare to CM11 configs, but I think all the relevant symbols are still there. The actual kernel code for sound is definitely the same, so I'm thinking that this common XML, or the files in here are responsible.

It is not a deal breaker because I can just flash a Kitkat ROM. However, it is an important feature when I am travelling on vacation and business to avoid long distance charges.

I think that the fix is probably something simple but simple things can sometimes be hard to find. I noticed that the LP kernel's configuration is now significantly different from verygreen's Kitkat kernel and maybe something got lost in the transition.

Hangouts started out "functional" but with unintelligible sound but a recent Hangouts update seems to have broken it completely. Last time I checked, it is broken on my CM12 Nook Tablet as well.

Finally, the most exciting news for me is that @Hashcode is making progress with the 3.4 kernel. I've been trying intermittently to build it, and while the kernel portion compiles, all the extra stuff in hardware/ti/omap4 does not. I knew it has to do with the ION headers, and then I stumbled upon this open commit. Hopefully a kernel can be build now, then there's the whole pesky business of booting it… Still, it must be close, especially that we don't have to worry about camera support in TIs proprietary binaries. If we can make these devices flicker free, avoid those dreaded underflows, and generally run as well as grouper on current stock, I'll be happy.