Linux and Android for Vogue [kernel thread]

Search This thread

d1rtyd33z

Feb 13, 2008
what official rom?

Sprint still has not 'officially' released their new WM6.1 ROM, although someone else has. I'm running it too, and data works for me.

Also, I predict that customized initrd-android images are going to be the next big thing around here. I had some issues using coLinux to generate the initrd, mainly due to the windows filesystem I believe. You still need a true Linux box to customize the initrd, but it does work great.

Dzo, is this Android port up to date with the demos? They look much different these days on youtube.

evertec

Jun 30, 2007
Unfortunately it seems it will no longer boot on my Sprint Touch either :( I click Run in HaRET and it shows the HaRET: Booting Linux... progress window, and it looks like it gets to 100%, but it doesn't go any further :(

Mine is still doing this even on the latest version. Did anyone find a fix for this?

tpdtopcop

Jul 29, 2007
Sprint still has not 'officially' released their new WM6.1 ROM, although someone else has. I'm running it too, and data works for me.

Also, I predict that customized initrd-android images are going to be the next big thing around here. I had some issues using coLinux to generate the initrd, mainly due to the windows filesystem I believe. You still need a true Linux box to customize the initrd, but it does work great.

Dzo, is this Android port up to date with the demos? They look much different these days on youtube.
With the old rom I could use the internet without having to have a data connection. Do you have to have a connection on before you boot haret?

Littlefield

Apr 26, 2008
With the old rom I could use the internet without having to have a data connection. Do you have to have a connection on before you boot haret?

Hey, I'm a Sprint user and very rarely post (if i even ever have) and finally had the time to check Android out fully. This is truly amazing what you guys have done so far. Finally have Data and calls working... haven't tested texting yet.

Thanks for the work so far!

d1rtyd33z

Feb 13, 2008
data and packages

Yes, but I have not configured the username in default.txt, so that may be an issue as well. Data works if you 'prime' it before booting Android. On a side note, I've been playing with the files quite a bit and got Martin's patches to apply to the newest kernel in the Android git archive and created a new initrd based on the latest emulator images.

I had to remove some 'cruft' caused by imaging the emulator as it was running, and I just kinda guessed what to remove. I pulled out some sound files in the /system/usr/srec directory, which were taking up like 8megs. Android still seems fine, anyone know if these were part of a Voice Recording function?

-D

unsungboxer

May 28, 2008
Martin,

I have been trying out a few apps, and there are some indications that lead me to believe it would be better to swap the functions of the Volume Up/Down Key, and the D-Pad Left/Right Key.

For example, if you use the Global Time App, the Volume Key tilts left/right, while the Dpad tilts up/down. I have also noticed this in most of the games I have downloaded and tested

Do you know how I can fix this?

-Jake

suka4luv

Jun 28, 2008
my htc touch

hey i tried on my htc touch and it did not work am i doing sumthing
wrong also do you have any vids of it working? thanks

itsallsubliminal

Nov 20, 2007
Unfortunately there is no way to save data (like contacts) while running android. As you said a soft reset will lose that info.

However, Martin explains how to decompress the initrd-android file and add apps/contacts in post 471. in post 479 he gives a script to import outlook contacts to android. This all needs to be done from a linux computer (i use ubuntu 8), and requires a bit of tweaking.

if there is anything before a noob, thats where i'm at when it comes to this stuff... will it work with a linux emulator? or does it have to be a true linux computer?... i'ma try and figure this thing out cuz i believe it will take way too much effort for someone to have to explain it to me in lamens terms... Do you think the future holds the possibility for this app to enable the saving of input contacts?

itsallsubliminal

Nov 20, 2007
one thing i've noticed...

if i'm letting my phone chill in the globe app, when an incoming call comes in it will be a constant vibrate... won't end either... is this a known issue with the vibrate function?

I tried for about a minute to get it to stop without soft reseting and let me tell you, it took a good chunk outta my batter lol

uiucryan

May 23, 2008
Not to steal anyone's thunder.... but I started a few wiki pages to help track some of the efforts regarding porting Android to some of the HTC devices talked about on these boards.

I would really, really appreciate some help getting these wiki pages filled with better info. I think these wiki pages will help answer some of the questions we keep seeing over and over again in the thread. I hope that we could also help foster some new development with the information being more centralized.

Thus far, I have just started updating the page dedicated to the HTC Vogue, but would welcome any contribution regarding any device that someone is running Android on. So far I have created pages for the following:
HTCVoguePort <- so far only basic info
HTCTitanPort <- so far only a place holder page
HTCKaiserPort <- so far only a place holder page
HTCNikePort <- so far only a place holder page
HTCPolarisPort <- so far only a place holder page

Thanks,
Ryan

uiucryan

May 23, 2008
Not to steal anyone's thunder.... but I started a few wiki pages to help track some of the efforts regarding porting Android to some of the HTC devices talked about on these boards.

I would really, really appreciate some help getting these wiki pages filled with better info. I think these wiki pages will help answer some of the questions we keep seeing over and over again in the thread. I hope that we could also help foster some new development with the information being more centralized.

Thus far, I have just started updating the page dedicated to the HTC Vogue, but would welcome any contribution regarding any device that someone is running Android on. So far I have created pages for the following:

Thanks,
Ryan

You may experience some problems if attempting to visiting the site right now. My hosting company needed to change some DNS settings and now everything is acting a little weird. This should hopefully be resolved within the next few hours.

Thanks,
Ryan

etiger13

Oct 19, 2007
Concord, CA
www.eddiemonge.com
I created a CAB file for easier installation, maybe to get people not quite as familiar or those who are technically challenged a chance to try out Android. It basically just installs the files for you instead of you having to download and then copy them over manually. It also has a start menu programs shortcut. It's posted at http://myhtcphone.com/downloads/14-files/3-cab-file-for-automatic-install
Please let me know if you have any problems with it.

DssTrainer

Jun 5, 2008
Chicago

Thanks,
Ryan

Nice work!

dzo

Senior Recognized Developer
Apr 3, 2008
Auckland
Hi,

I've put a new zImage and initrd-android on the site, there's no big changes here but the sms app works a bit better. I made the notification icon 1 pixel wide so you can have about 6 active notifications before the runtime crashes. Networking should be a bit smoother, I found a problem with the interrupt code that meant the data channel wasn't always being notified by the modem. I have almost got the SD driver working, it goes for a while and then crashes, I'll enable it when it's usable. I've also updated the kernel to the latest android-msm-2.6.25.

Enjoy

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ok so my stability argument was based on desktop distro's. I'm sure i'm in over my head but i would just like to have linux running on my phone...so i can boot right to it no windows at all....
    It's great you guys are adventurous enough to do this. And I have nothing against pioneering but you people are getting so excited over a basic shell if that. Thanks but I prefer my phone to be usable with hundreds of thousands of applications to choose from... Can you whip up that many apps real quick like? For some reason people think there are a zillion people waiting to program for Android and not for Windows Mobile... That's not the case. It will take YEARS before Android is competitive if at all. And most of the apps are going to look all homebrew and rudamentary. Hopefully I'm wrong.
    just tried it, the calendar comes up now but when I go to my calendars I get an error saying "Sorry the process com.android.calendar has stopped unexpectedly"
    Thi swill probably sound really stupid but I am enw to the boards, is there anyway of putting Android on a LG Voyager? I love androids interface and would love to not have to switch plans to get it (plus I can't waitlol)
    I've fixed wifi on the 2.6.32 kernel. Attached is the new module, put it in /system/lib/modules. You'll also need the very latest kernel. I made some very big changes to the sd driver so this could break other things..