[POLL] Black clipping / black crush

Do you experience "black crush" on your Galaxy Note?

• Severe crush (can see the number 1 in test image)

Votes: 74 57.4%
  • Moderate crush (can see up to numbers 2-4)

Votes: 20 15.5%
  • Minor crush (can see up to numbers 5-6)

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • No, tones gradually go to black.

Votes: 29 22.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Nightforge

Apr 7, 2012
I followed all the instructions on my Note and on my Evo 3d, looked at them both with the lights on and they looked pretty much the same (could read the numbers 8 and up on the Evo and 7 and up on the Note). Turned off the lights and viola, could see the numbers all the way to 1 on the Note (very hard to read the 1,2&3 however 4 is the first clearly visable number and it is still very dark) and guess what the Evo didnt change at all, still number 8 first readable number. I went and grabbed my wifes Iphone 4 and it blew the other two away, 10 was the first readable number and that didnt change in the dark.I traded in my Iphone 4 for the Note and I watch Netflix and Hulu+ all the time on it, I'm gonna be bummed out if this isnt a software fix.

Last edited:

Gaugerer

Sep 9, 2011
The wording of the question for this Poll is flawed. It polls for evidence of black clipping/black crush using test images. However, what is important to most people is whether there is a dark image problem in normal daily use and with 5 million Notes sold already there is no need for a Poll here to answer that question.

paleh0rse

Jan 4, 2011
The wording of the question for this Poll is flawed. It polls for evidence of black clipping/black crush using test images. However, what is important to most people is whether there is a dark image problem in normal daily use and with 5 million Notes sold already there is no need for a Poll here to answer that question.
wrong. The problem is that most owners mistakenly believe it's a source issue whenever they do see it. I'd be willing to bet that more than 90% of the Notes have this problem...

senfinger

Aug 27, 2010
FYI, I have handled 9-10 notes... 2 of them out of 10 were perfect- with the GAMMA CHART. SOooo it worries me this is a hardware over software issue.
2 happened to be white... wish I would have check Country of Origin to add as well- However, it still shows the majority of these devices all have the issue; and have no idea they have an issue :eek:

crawt1

Jan 26, 2011
Compared Note and SkyRocket to Titan II, Vivid and my Captivate

I want to buy a Note but I caught this thread and read the posts and decided to go down to ATT and see what the deal is. I hate to buy something and then have to return it.

Note and Sky
I saw colors on white vids
Resolution not as sharp
Blocking and banding is obvious

Another strange thing is I noticed a faint yellow halo in the middle of the displays. The ATT rep saw it too. Weird.

Captivate
The colors are solid with minimal banding and blocking. Blacks like ink, fire engine reds. No color on whites.

Titan II / Vivid - the Super LCD is incredibly accurate. I'm not an HTC lover but I'll be looking at the One X on Sunday.

So basically AMOLED does have display issues if compared side by side with Super LCD. Also, the ATT rep told me that the LG display is superior which makes sense, they make the best TV's. (I install digital signage systems and LG is the standard, Samsung next.)

Last edited:

paleh0rse

Jan 4, 2011
I want to buy a Note but I caught this thread and read the posts and decided to go down to ATT and see what the deal is. I hate to buy something and then have to return it.

Note and Sky
I saw colors on white vids
Resolution not as sharp
Blocking and banding is obvious

Another strange thing is I noticed a faint yellow halo in the middle of the displays. The ATT rep saw it too. Weird.

Captivate
The colors are solid with minimal banding and blocking. Blacks like ink, fire engine reds. No color on whites.

Titan II / Vivid - the Super LCD is incredibly accurate. I'm not an HTC lover but I'll be looking at the One X on Sunday.

So basically AMOLED does have display issues if compared side by side with Super LCD. Also, the ATT rep told me that the LG display is superior which makes sense, they make the best TV's. (I install digital signage systems and LG is the standard, Samsung next.)
I was with ya right up until you claimed LG makes the "best TVs." The correct order from 2011, in terms of picture quality, is:
1. Sharp (Kuro)
2. Panny (VT series)
3. Samsung (8 and 9 series)
4. LG or Vizio (yes, that's right, I said Vizio!)

...With the old Pioneer Kuro's still having better PQ than all of the above!

Everybody knows this... ;)

sepdx

Oct 23, 2010
Captivate

So basically AMOLED does have display issues if compared side by side with Super LCD...

The Captivate has a Super AMOLED screen, while the Note has the HD Super AMOLED (both PenTile matrix). I agree that the Captivate's screen seems much better with the color rendering and deep blacks.

hyukki

Mar 12, 2009
Just a tad bit off topic, but is our AMOLED screens supposed to be turned on at all while displaying black? I was never sure if AMOLED pixels actually turn off completely or barely enough to be able to tell that it's on?

I was looking at the screen in total darkness (i.e. laundry room/bathroom) and I could tell there was light coming from the screen albeit it displaying a completely black image.

ChronoReverse

Jun 14, 2010
AMOLED screens still have a minuscule amount of light when on but set to pure black. You should only be able to see this if you're in total darkness.

Sent from my Galaxy Note

Reactions: hyukki

b3asty

Apr 4, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
Wouldn't this mean they're at least attempting to resolve the issue via software and that returning the Note to the store would be fruitless? Perhaps we just need to be a little patient.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using XDA

paleh0rse

Jan 4, 2011
Wouldn't this mean they're at least attempting to resolve the issue via software and that returning the Note to the store would be fruitless? Perhaps we just need to be a little patient.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using XDA
Unfortunately, at least with the first leak, all they did was adjust the system-wide contrast in what looks like an attempt to hide the issue By adjusting the contrast, they just made all deep blacks look more grey and shifted the clipping to between 6 and 7.

You can make the clipping in the ICS roms look identical to the old GB clipping (IOW, between 0 and 1 in the gamma test) by simply using any screen app to set the contrast -15. :(

Maybe we'll get lucky with the next leak...

DekkonBlack

Sep 22, 2007
I use 2x battery screen filter and set the color from black to white then set opacity to 90 for regular 80pct for video and no more black crush

Reactions: schrochem

DesignGrits

Apr 10, 2011
Seattle
export02.png

Hows mine looking? Looks fine to me on the phone, but on here is looks like there are green squares. Funny, this looks nothing like what I see on my phone.

paleh0rse

Jan 4, 2011
Hows mine looking? Looks fine to me on the phone, but on here is looks like there are green squares. Funny, this looks nothing like what I see on my phone.
Is that a photo, or is it a screenshot?

Screenshots don't capture what you're actually seeing on your screen. You need to use a separate camera to take a photo of your Note displaying the test image...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    From the Moderator...........

All of you..... play nice in here, the discussion is about clipping and misc screen flaws....... if you all cannot stay on that topic or closely related then this thread gets closed.

PeartFan40...... stop.... stop baiting ...... let it go stay on topic.....

tenderchkn.......stop....
    inciting...... no good ever comes from it....

Now please be respectful to each other

Thanks All ~ oka1
    I wanted to branch out from the other thread and actually do a poll to see how many people are experiencing this problem, and how severely. In the other thread (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1515299), several people claim that their copies are absolutely perfect and show no signs of black crush. If you indeed have a "good" screen, your feedback will be incredibly valuable. Please post pictures of your phone, if you do the test below and the blacks display correctly!

The reason that most of us are seeing "black crush" or ugly blockiness in dark areas in videos and photos is that these artifacts are present in the source material. Blocky patterns are a result of compression, and are most noticeable at the extreme ends of the dynamic range, where there is the least amount of detail. So if these compression artifacts are present in the source material, why do we not see it on other devices? It is because most other displays are properly calibrated to gradually gradate dark tones from dark gray to black. In other words, on a properly calibrated display, the color #000000 (black, or RGB 0,0,0) is virtually in distinguishable from #010101 (RGB 1,1,1). In fact, it is hard to tell a difference until #050505 (RGB 5,5,5). Therefore, most of the clipping that occurs as a result of compression artifacts is hidden. However, with the Note, #010101 is very much distinguishable from #000000. Dark tones are too bright, and we're able to see clearly until #010101. Instead of gradually moving to black, at #000000, it drops off a cliff. This is why we see such a dramatic different between the darkest grays and blacks, and why this black crush issue is so noticeable.

The side effect of having grays that are too bright is that when watching Blu-ray quality HD video, the dark areas look washed out, and the picture lacks "punch". High quality video that is properly encoded very rarely have pure blacks (to avoid clipping). As a result, dark scenes appear too bright on our phones.

The method to test is with a gamma test pattern, which I have attached. Download QuickPic from Market/Play (free). Go to Settings -> Viewer, and check the box for 32-bit render. Then, download the attached .png file, and view it in full screen in QuickPic. Make sure to do this in a DARK room!

Each box with a number has a corresponding RGB value. For example, the box with the number 1 is RGB 1,1,1, and so on. Load it on your Note and report back the smallest number that you are able to see. Also, does it gradually go to black, or does it just abruptly go to black without a smooth transition?

Last week, I went to two AT&T stores, and tested every display model with this method. Even with the bright store lights, it was possible to see box #1 on every phone. Repeated the test on an iPad 2, Galaxy Tab 10.1, and Skyrocket. The iPad was too dark, as the entire left side of the test picture is unreadable. On the Galaxy Tab, I could see box #7 or so. The Skyrocket showed a similar problem to the Note, as it seemed to abruptly transition to black. However, it was still a bit smoother than the Note, and box #4 was the smallest I could see.

Here's a picture of the test on my phone. The right side is the test image itself, so you can see how it is supposed to look like on your computer screen. Compare this with what you see on your phones.

1.jpg
    Not sure if you guys have seen this video or not on Youtube. But this is how it obviously should and shouldn't be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0a8aIGeLERg
    Just download (sceen Adjuster) from play store
    and put red (3) contrast (10 - 20)

and check picture again
    This "black crush" problem is a resilt of poor video/picture quality. It's not a flaw of the device. I have seen this occur on my SGS II, my Skyrocket, and my Note. I've also experienced this on my 28" $600 computer monitor, and even on my 52" Sharp Aquos Quattron LED LCD TV. It's a source issue, period. Of the resolution of a particular video is low, or of poornquality, pixelation or blockiness will occur. Its completely normal, and affects all types of displays. It's not unique to the Galaxy Note. Threads like this annoy me to no end. It's pretty simple, avoid low quality video and images and you won't see it. This isn't rocket science.

Here is a link to a forum where certain blu-ray movies cause this.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=40198

Please, stop creating these ridiculous threads. All it does is create panic amoung Galaxy Note owners.

Not trying to be rude, but seriously...The display and the rest of the hardware on the Note is perfectly fine. Actually, the Note has the best looking display I've seen on any mobile phone thus far.

Sent from my Galaxy Note (SGH-i717) using XDA Premium.