Wifi problem on 3.1

Search This thread

bpivk

Nov 26, 2008
-
I've just stumbled upon an interesting problem.

My tablet couldn't connect on ANY wifi network unless I entered the IP manually (I have checked on my router an my phone using it as a wifi hotspot). DHCP just didn't work and the tablet was stuck at "obtaining IP adress". The odd thing is that even the bars that show the network strength went from 5 full bars to 1 bar.

It was odd since wifi was on and it worked fine until I charged my tablet. I didn't do anything in between and reset didn't help. What worked in the end was deleting the dhcpd-wlan0.lease under /data/misc/dhcp.

Could anyone point me to the problem or an error that caused this because I'm a little afraid that it wasn't just a one time thing and that it could happen again.

Edit: Oh yeah I almost forgot. My router was acting up (my PC that is connected via cable was losing internet connection). Could it be that it was the router that messed up dhcpd-wlan0.lease and broke my Iconia?

Last edited:

sanaell

Apr 3, 2008
Bangkok
oh, that happen to me. I reset factory and all came back....
I hope that not a problem will happen again....

Maybe a clue.
I went to work with the tablet, connected to the internet who have a different IP 192.168.2.1 and 192.168.1.1
Maybe that screw the files because my other tablet didn't move from home and didn't get the problem.

Last edited:

bpivk

Nov 26, 2008
-
I'll write a script in Tasker to remove the data periodically if it happens again but I hope that it won't.

I don't like doing factory resets because that literally means a day of work fixing my tablet to my standards again.

godashram

Feb 28, 2007
i'm having the same issue... have a massive wifi network at work and the access point is 10 feet away and the signal jumps around and will not connect :(

bpivk

Nov 26, 2008
-
Just delete the file I've listed and it will work if you're experiencing the same problem as me.

usb2007

Aug 7, 2007
my wifi stopped working after i updated to 3.1 but all i did was settings -- wireless and networks and removed my wireless settings and added again as new..and everything started working

3c

Jul 19, 2005
www.3c71.com
permission issues on dhcp file...

Most probably the root cause is a permission issues on that particular file after upgrade... Should not happen anymore in the future.

bpivk

Nov 26, 2008
-
Most probably the root cause is a permission issues on that particular file after upgrade... Should not happen anymore in the future.
I don't think that's the case. It happened to me again after I've installed Acer phone disabler. Again deleting the file worked but I was able to recreate it whenever I had an unclean shutdown of the tablet.

Permissions were ok. I've checked. Besides that wouldn't explain wifi working normally after update and then not working the next hour (I didn't even touch the tablet in the meantime).

Last edited:

bpivk

Nov 26, 2008
-
I'm testing and it seems that the most probable cause is an unclean shutdown.
I was able to recreate it whenever I've used Acer phone disabler app.

Does anyone else use this app so that we can narrow it down?

dariovw

Nov 30, 2008
guy it happen again please try a solution. how can i make a downgrade? where can i find the file to delete?what app i have to use to find it? astro is ok?

Last edited:

bpivk

Nov 26, 2008
-
I've written everything in my post on page 1. The filename (dhcpd-wlan0.lease) and location (data/misc/dhcp/).

Reactions: aftertzf

dariovw

Nov 30, 2008
Yes but i can't find the ile with astro...uff reset again....

Sent from my GT-S5570 using XDA Premium App

bpivk

Nov 26, 2008
-
Use root explorer. I've also experienced the error so I'm moving to a new rom (was using the leaked 3.1 rom).

julz

Mar 17, 2007
www.julianjwong.com
does anyone know if any of the other custom roms fixes this issue?

im using the leaked acer rom in stock form and used it to upgrade from my stock 3.0.1 rom (Australian version)

dariovw

Nov 30, 2008
But i have to root the tablet before to use root explorer?
Does exist a program with no root access to that file?

edit ok i rooted my tab but i can't find the file to delete but maybe it create when wifi will fail .....i have just to wait thank's everybody for now...

Last edited:

dariovw

Nov 30, 2008
Ok it happen again i delete the file and everithing work now...just have to ceck if this will happen again....

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've just stumbled upon an interesting problem.

My tablet couldn't connect on ANY wifi network unless I entered the IP manually (I have checked on my router an my phone using it as a wifi hotspot). DHCP just didn't work and the tablet was stuck at "obtaining IP adress". The odd thing is that even the bars that show the network strength went from 5 full bars to 1 bar.

It was odd since wifi was on and it worked fine until I charged my tablet. I didn't do anything in between and reset didn't help. What worked in the end was deleting the dhcpd-wlan0.lease under /data/misc/dhcp.

Could anyone point me to the problem or an error that caused this because I'm a little afraid that it wasn't just a one time thing and that it could happen again.

Edit: Oh yeah I almost forgot. My router was acting up (my PC that is connected via cable was losing internet connection). Could it be that it was the router that messed up dhcpd-wlan0.lease and broke my Iconia?
    I've written everything in my post on page 1. The filename (dhcpd-wlan0.lease) and location (data/misc/dhcp/).
    This is sounding like a very good reason NOT to update to 3.1!!
    I was 80% sure that the "leak" was a beta version and we're being used as test subjects. :)

I'm searching for a working rom now (currently on my 3rd try) and then I'll just go back to 3.0. This seems like the most annoying bug I've ever encountered.
    @bpivk - thanks! deleting that file fixed it. ... just curious, since i am limited in the wireless networks i can switch between here at work, will i need to delete this file constantly? or is this a one time deal?

It happen to me 2 time till now....

I have changed the permissions on the dhcpcd-wlan0.pid file to match my Atrix (rw-r--r--), and I have now been able to connect to a couple of different networks without deleting both files. The permissions on the dhcpcd-wlan0.lease file change each time I connect to a different network back to r--r--r--, but I was still able to connect.

Hope this helps!