[GUIDE][US WIFI & 3G] How To Root Your Xoom From 3.2 Stock [PC & Mac]

Search This thread

jase33

Jul 29, 2010
- /
**THIS IS FOR US WIFI & 3G XOOM**

This guide in no way implies or expresses any warranties.
What you choose to do with your equipment is your sole responsibilty.

________________________________________________________________________________________

SUMMARY
  • You must already be running Honeycomb 3.2 on your Xoom **DO NOT USE WITH HC 3.2.1. IT HAS BEEN REPORTED TO CAUSE WIFI FAILURES** USE THIS TO ROOT HC 3.2 AND THEN UPDATE TO 3.2.1 USING THIS METHOD.
  • You will be unlocking your Xoom, if you have not already. This will wipe data so make sure to back everything up that you would like to keep.
  • You will be performing steps in ADB. If you are not familiar with this, read HERE first.​
  • You will need Xoom USB drivers and Fastboot
  • You will need the WIFI boot (kernel) partition with rooted stock 3.2 kernel (thanks & credit to, solarnz)​
  • OR You will need the 3G Verizon boot (kernel) partition with rooted stock 3.2 kernel (thanks & credit to, solarnz)​
  • You will need Superuser.apk and su binary to enable functioning root​
**Before you get started, make sure the USB Debugging option is enabled in the Settings. Go to Settings --> Applications --> Development -->USB Debugging**

PROCEDURE

• Download and unzip files. Place rootboot.img, superuser.apk & su binary in the same place you will open your command window.
  • Open command window:
  • Type; adb devices - you should see a long serial number on the screen. If no serial number appears, recheck your adb, sdk & moto usb driver files.​
  • Type; adb reboot bootloader
  • Type; fastboot oem unlock - and follow the steps on your xoom's screen (You have to accept the terms by pressing the volume down key, and then select 'accept' by pressing the volume up key.)​
  • Allow the xoom to boot up completely and go back into settings and enable USB debugging again.​
  • In the command window on your PC type; adb reboot bootloader - (if xoom does not respond, disconnect from pc and reboot manually by holding vol up + power. then reconnect after fully rebooted)​
  • Type; fastboot flash boot rootboot.img (for WiFi)​
  • OR Type; fastboot flash boot 3Grootboot.img (for 3G Verizon)​
  • Type; fastboot reboot
  • Allow the xoom to boot completely - your xoom should be in normal operating mode for the remainder of the process.​
  • In the command window on your PC type; adb remount
  • Type; adb push su /system/bin
  • Type; adb shell
  • Type; ln -s /system/bin/su /system/xbin/su (this line starts with lower case "L", like llama)​
  • Type; chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
  • Type; exit
  • Type; adb push Superuser.apk /system/app
Thats it...your done!! Unplug the xoom and reboot. Your xoom is now stock rooted. You can now flash ClockworkMod, other kernels and roms. To verify root, download a root user app from the market and run it. You should be prompted to allow superuser permissions.​

Mac Only Procedure

You will need fastboot for mac - download HERE

• Open a terminal (located in the utilities folder)
    • Navigate to your sdk/platform-tools folder
    • Type; ./adb devices - (look for the xoom serial number to show its connected.)
    • Type; ./adb reboot bootloader
    • Type; chmod 755 fastboot
    • Type; ./fastboot oem unlock
    • Type; ./fastboot flash boot rootboot.img
    • Type; ./fastboot reboot
    • Type; ./adb remount
    • Type; ./adb push su /system/bin
    • Type; ./adb shell
    • Type; exit
    • Type; ./adb push Superuser.apk /system/app
Disconnect and reboot xoom. Download a root app and test.

If you found this helpfull press the THANKS button.​

Last edited:

Sodikop

Sep 19, 2009
Seattle
Excellent write-up, I'll try this when I get a chance.

Been trying to downgrade and then get to the rooted, stock 3.2 using a couple routes shown here. They seem to create an issue with CWM not sticking...

wayne710

Jan 25, 2011
Veradale, Washington
Works great!

I just flashed back to 3.01, re-locked the WiFi Xoom (USA), OTA'd to 3.1 and followed that with the OTA to 3.2. I then unlocked and went thru your rooting procedure and it worked great. All tests indicate a successful root. Thanks for the practical guide!

_delice_doluca_

Apr 26, 2011
istanbul
thanks for the easiest way (i dont have an sd card) ..

one Q; why is this boot file about only 2 mb? the original one is aprx. 8 mb.. are we missing some features by replacing the boot files? or is it completely "stock+root" only ?

jase33

Jul 29, 2010
- /

one Q; why is this boot file about only 2 mb? the original one is aprx. 8 mb.. are we missing some features by replacing the boot files? or is it completely "stock+root" only ?

It is only a boot partition with rooted stock 3.2 kernel.

Sent from my HD2

Last edited:

Hussain Isa

Jul 9, 2010
[*]
In the command window on your PC type; adb remount
[*]
Type; adb push su /system/bin
[*]
Type; adb shell
[*]
Type; ln -s /system/bin/su /system/xbin/su
[*]
Type; chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
[*]
Type; exit
[*]
Type; adb push Superuser.apk /system/app

when I type adb remount after completely boot, I've got error device not found !!! any idea??

Wow that was easy... Why cant all android devices be this open and straightforward? Im sooo pissed at HTC with the EVO 3D. Cant wait for the Galaxy S2 to come out

Mad respect to Motorola for getting this one right

And last but not least, Thanks so much to the OP for the great writeup!

droidx1978z4

Mar 3, 2011
Thanks for the write up. Just got my xoom today and right after I updated to 3.2 I thought that I may have a problem trying to root. Your guide worked perfectly for me. The only issue that I had was reading "ln -s," as "In -s." Yeah that was stupid of me.

jase33

Jul 29, 2010
- /
Thanks for the write up. Just got my xoom today and right after I updated to 3.2 I thought that I may have a problem trying to root. Your guide worked perfectly for me. The only issue that I had was reading "ln -s," as "In -s." Yeah that was stupid of me.

Glad to here it! And thanks for pointing that out....I will clarify that in the op for others.

Sent from my HD2

fwempa

Mar 14, 2011
Help... I have been having this same problem with multiple procedures. I have everything as instructed. USB debugging ON, SDK installed on Fedora 15, fastboot in /platform-tools folder. I type the first command (and this is the part that keeps happening despite the method used) "adb reboot bootloader" -- the Xoom reboots to screen desscribed as Motorola logo, centered, with "Starting Fastboot protocol support." in the top left corner. Also, in the terminal I get the message < waiting for device > after typing "fastboot oem unlock" That's it.. That's where I always get stuck. I am able to press power button and vol up to reboot normally. But, I can let it sit here like this with logo showing forever. Am I missing any drivers? As I said I am running Linux (Fedora). When I type "adb shell", I can successfully browse the Xoom filesystem.

SOLUTION: Ran fastboot command as root.
su
fastboot oem unlock

Last edited:
Reactions: moooooooon8

apratomo

Mar 22, 2007
Jakarta
Where did you get fastboot for Linux. I just get my self a xoom today, I'm planning to root it but my laptop is running ubuntu

Sent from my Nexus One using XDA App

Hussain Isa

Jul 9, 2010
Help... I have been having this same problem with multiple procedures. I have everything as instructed. USB debugging ON, SDK installed on Fedora 15, fastboot in /platform-tools folder. I type the first command (and this is the part that keeps happening despite the method used) "adb reboot bootloader" -- the Xoom reboots to screen desscribed as Motorola logo, centered, with "Starting Fastboot protocol support." in the top left corner. Also, in the terminal I get the message < waiting for device > after typing "fastboot oem unlock" That's it.. That's where I always get stuck. I am able to press power button and vol up to reboot normally. But, I can let it sit here like this with logo showing forever. Am I missing any drivers? As I said I am running Linux (Fedora). When I type "adb shell", I can successfully browse the Xoom filesystem.

SOLUTION: Ran fastboot command as root.
su
fastboot oem unlock

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reinstall the driver, that will solve your problem ;)

Sent from my Xoom using XDA Premium App

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    **THIS IS FOR US WIFI & 3G XOOM**

This guide in no way implies or expresses any warranties.
    What you choose to do with your equipment is your sole responsibilty.

________________________________________________________________________________________

SUMMARY
    • You must already be running Honeycomb 3.2 on your Xoom **DO NOT USE WITH HC 3.2.1. IT HAS BEEN REPORTED TO CAUSE WIFI FAILURES** USE THIS TO ROOT HC 3.2 AND THEN UPDATE TO 3.2.1 USING THIS METHOD.
    • You will be unlocking your Xoom, if you have not already. This will wipe data so make sure to back everything up that you would like to keep.
    • You will be performing steps in ADB. If you are not familiar with this, read HERE first.​
    • You will need Xoom USB drivers and Fastboot
    • You will need the WIFI boot (kernel) partition with rooted stock 3.2 kernel (thanks & credit to, solarnz)​
    • OR You will need the 3G Verizon boot (kernel) partition with rooted stock 3.2 kernel (thanks & credit to, solarnz)​
    • You will need Superuser.apk and su binary to enable functioning root​
    **Before you get started, make sure the USB Debugging option is enabled in the Settings. Go to Settings --> Applications --> Development -->USB Debugging**

PROCEDURE

• Download and unzip files. Place rootboot.img, superuser.apk & su binary in the same place you will open your command window.
    • Open command window:
    • Type; adb devices - you should see a long serial number on the screen. If no serial number appears, recheck your adb, sdk & moto usb driver files.​
    • Type; fastboot oem unlock - and follow the steps on your xoom's screen (You have to accept the terms by pressing the volume down key, and then select 'accept' by pressing the volume up key.)​
    • Allow the xoom to boot up completely and go back into settings and enable USB debugging again.​
    • In the command window on your PC type; adb reboot bootloader - (if xoom does not respond, disconnect from pc and reboot manually by holding vol up + power. then reconnect after fully rebooted)​
    • Type; fastboot flash boot rootboot.img (for WiFi)​
    • OR Type; fastboot flash boot 3Grootboot.img (for 3G Verizon)​
    • Type; fastboot reboot
    • Allow the xoom to boot completely - your xoom should be in normal operating mode for the remainder of the process.​
    • In the command window on your PC type; adb remount
    • Type; adb push su /system/bin
    • Type; adb shell
    • Type; ln -s /system/bin/su /system/xbin/su (this line starts with lower case "L", like llama)​
    • Type; exit
    • Type; adb push Superuser.apk /system/app
    Thats it...your done!! Unplug the xoom and reboot. Your xoom is now stock rooted. You can now flash ClockworkMod, other kernels and roms. To verify root, download a root user app from the market and run it. You should be prompted to allow superuser permissions.​

Mac Only Procedure

You will need fastboot for mac - download HERE

• Open a terminal (located in the utilities folder)
      • Navigate to your sdk/platform-tools folder
      • Type; ./adb devices - (look for the xoom serial number to show its connected.)
      • Type; ./adb reboot bootloader
      • Type; chmod 755 fastboot
      • Type; ./fastboot oem unlock
      • Type; ./fastboot flash boot rootboot.img
      • Type; ./fastboot reboot
      • Type; ./adb remount
      • Type; ./adb push su /system/bin
      • Type; ./adb shell
      • Type; exit
      • Type; ./adb push Superuser.apk /system/app
    Disconnect and reboot xoom. Download a root app and test.

If you found this helpfull press the THANKS button.​

It is only a boot partition with rooted stock 3.2 kernel.

Sent from my HD2
    when I type adb remount after completely boot, I've got error device not found !!! any idea??

Are you in fastboot or is your Xoom booted normally? If you are in fastboot, reboot and let the Xoom load normally.
    I tried both, enabled USB debugging.
    After the xoom load or in fastboot I get the same error! !!!

Sent from my X10i using XDA App

Are you certain you have unlocked the bootloader?

Sent from my HD2
    ok i dled the rootboot.img and it doesnt open in winzip... so i placed it in the files with all the other files required to root.. i type fastboot flash boot rootboot.img and i get error: cannot load 'rootboot.img'
    thanks for the help in advance!

That is usually caused by the command window not being opened or started from the same directory as adb is going to look for the files. Make sure you have all files in the correct place (i.e. tools or platform-tools folder?)