New update 357MB OTA

Search This thread

mjs2011

May 25, 2011
Thanks. Sounds like the boat and Valley are new.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

GiantJay

Jul 2, 2012
Omaha, NE
When I opened my camera after the its it said camera firmware updating for about 30 seconds then it turned on and opened. There are many changes and things updated that I have noticed.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

wsoxfan1214

Jan 7, 2013
so - if my download mode says official for binary and status, the update should work with root and a custom recovery?

qitupx

Jun 10, 2010
OMG lol. I had that issue with some pretty nice headphones on launch day..I had to pay a restocking fee because they wouldn't believe that it was the phone and not the headphones!

Fixes/Enhancements:

Voice – HD Voice enhancements.
Audio – Audio clipping when using headphones at higher levels has been addressed.
Application Storage – Enables market application installation onto the SD card.
Wallpaper modifications – One wallpaper was removed and 2 new wallpapers were added..
Messaging Known Issue – Unfortunately Messaging has Stopped error has been resolved.

All I needed to see.

wwjoshdew

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Dec 30, 2008
Seattle
tinyurl.com
I'll bet @jonathanhtc had NO CLUE this thread would blow up like this! lol

I made a video showing how to install this AND a video going over the new updates!

How To Install: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMNV2H-2GvA

MF9 Review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-h4avjwX3o

Oh, by the way... I ran the MDL tar via Odin (after the MF9 update), used CF Auto Root, installed TWRP, restored my Nandroid... and now the Galaxy S4 is back to CM10.1!
https://twitter.com/wwjoshdew/status/354477470235361282/photo/1

I plan on making a video on @Unknownforce's MF9 radio update thread, for those that are using CM10.1!

J

jetlitheone

The issue is NOT fixed all hey did was make the settings panel dark Grey now. Still smears. Won't ever change unless Samsung adjusts the black level to not be pixels turned off.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added at 03:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:01 AM ----------

Seems that this is no different than what the international s4 has had for a couple weeks.

optimummind

Jun 17, 2012
Orange, CA
Couldn't wait for the devs to release a MF9 one-click so after backing up my apps and data, I updated to MF9 by Odin'ing to MDL, performing a factory reset, then flashing the MDL to MF9 zip in OEM recovery. :) Everything went smoothly, yay!!

mr pnut

Oct 20, 2011
Compton Ca.
Well the good thing on this update we can move apps to sd and they added a new smart pause toggle,

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

DJSmoove

Feb 25, 2010
Chicago
The update is ok, but one thing I notice after rooting and putting on TWRP then installing Hotspot mod it throws my phone into bootloops on the Sprint splash screen. I had to reflash my phone back to MDL for now.

Mudavo

Jun 10, 2010
The update is ok, but one thing I notice after rooting and putting on TWRP then installing Hotspot mod it throws my phone into bootloops on the Sprint splash screen. I had to reflash my phone back to MDL for now.

Thats because the Hotspot mod is only for MDC or MDL for now. Crawrj hasn't released a MF9 version YET.

Stealyourface

Oct 19, 2007
VA Beach
The issue is NOT fixed all hey did was make the settings panel dark Grey now. Still smears. Won't ever change unless Samsung adjusts the black level to not be pixels turned off.

---------- Post added at 03:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:01 AM ----------

Seems that this is no different than what the international s4 has had for a couple weeks.

It is an improvement. It's a lot better than what it used to be. And even harder to recognize now because of the fact it's dark grey. I'd take smearing over them adjusting the black levels any day. Yes, that's all this mf9 update is. But it's great to have it so soon.

angst911

Nov 12, 2009
It means that if you install something that trips the "Secure Boot Status" then the device will in turn lock the boot loader and modem firmware into place which will not allow us to update the modem or boot loader which isn't a big deal because that means less hard bricks due to bootloaders and modems being borked.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
So if you trip the secure boot piece you are stuck on whatever modem you were on? No way to change it from there on? Or is there some way to unlock the nand to allow you to still flash a new modem?

dscott5683

Nov 1, 2010
Microsoft Surface Duo
Though it worked for me; still proceed with caution...

I just finished the update; and everything worked out fine. Though at the very end I got a little nervous cause it acted like it was going to fail, then it went through two reboots. The first reboot updated my Android Apps; and I thought it was done, then it rebooted again to complete the final setup. After that all was well, I checked the system for any other updates and everything was up to date, and running smoothly... Though it worked out for me; I would very much say proceed with caution, or just wait for the OTA. Either way, good luck...

Here is the link for the file if you don't want to wait though, I found it over at Android Central:

http://android.clients.google.com/pa...SB_user_RP.zip

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sp...5230-new-ota-version-mf9-out.html#post2906901

KnoxDevThrow

Jul 9, 2013
Hello all, i'd like to answer some of your questions if possible. I've been working with Knox as a QA resource with a 3rd party testing a implementation of Knox and i'd like to answer a few points that have been brought up.

1. Activating Knox (knoxifying) a device locks the bootloader and activates the Knox Agent. The Knox agent will consistently force close and attempt to unsinstall any SU style application. The bootloader in Odin mode scans bootloader, PDA, Modem, CSC files for a unique Knox Samsung certificate.
  2. After activating Knox you will see that the Secure Boot Mode changes to 'Enforcing'
  3. There is no known way to reverse it back into a Permissive state and remove the Knox agent. Conversations with Samsung have proved less then useful on this subject however i've heard rumor they are coming up with a way to reverse it.
  4. Knox cannot be activated soley on its own.
  5. MDM vendors will still have full control of device even when Knox is activated. Knox is not meant to Sandbox a devices MDM vendor. It is meant to sandbox secure corp data, MDM vendors will more then likely still have samples and controls of device.

I had previously made a thread on reddit.com/r/android which I answered a lot of questions there as well however I cannot link to it due to using a throwaway account.

amieldl143

Oct 3, 2008
Brentwood
Yeah forced my update... everything looks good. No more smering on scrolling... camera better. Keyboard responds faster than before....

Sent from my SPH-L720 using xda app-developers app

maxpower7

May 2, 2011
Hello all, i'd like to answer some of your questions if possible. I've been working with Knox as a QA resource with a 3rd party testing a implementation of Knox and i'd like to answer a few points that have been brought up.

1. Activating Knox (knoxifying) a device locks the bootloader and activates the Knox Agent. The Knox agent will consistently force close and attempt to unsinstall any SU style application. The bootloader in Odin mode scans bootloader, PDA, Modem, CSC files for a unique Knox Samsung certificate.
  2. After activating Knox you will see that the Secure Boot Mode changes to 'Enforcing'
  3. There is no known way to reverse it back into a Permissive state and remove the Knox agent. Conversations with Samsung have proved less then useful on this subject however i've heard rumor they are coming up with a way to reverse it.
  5. MDM vendors will still have full control of device even when Knox is activated. Knox is not meant to Sandbox a devices MDM vendor. It is meant to sandbox secure corp data, MDM vendors will more then likely still have samples and controls of device.

I had previously made a thread on reddit.com/r/android which I answered a lot of questions there as well however I cannot link to it due to using a throwaway account.

So even Odin'ing back to, say, MDC won't change the Knox status once it's been activated?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using xda premium

xuser

Jan 18, 2007
San Diego

I think I'm gonna wait till the dust settles on this update.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    See what happens when I don't have the phone in hand?

Downloading now - I'll start pulling it apart.
    Anyone check to see if latest CF-Auto Root and/or SuperSU will stay in after this update?

whoa, they are updating the entire bootchain and adding 3 new apps. knox, briefing, and SPDclient.. sounds like they finally got knox figured out and ready to deploy
    I'll bet @jonathanhtc had NO CLUE this thread would blow up like this! lol

I made a video showing how to install this AND a video going over the new updates!

How To Install: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMNV2H-2GvA

MF9 Review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-h4avjwX3o

Oh, by the way... I ran the MDL tar via Odin (after the MF9 update), used CF Auto Root, installed TWRP, restored my Nandroid... and now the Galaxy S4 is back to CM10.1!
    https://twitter.com/wwjoshdew/status/354477470235361282/photo/1

I plan on making a video on @Unknownforce's MF9 radio update thread, for those that are using CM10.1!
    I pulled it from my phone. I have no clue how well the place I uploaded it will stand up to people downloading it. If anyone has a good free uploading service let me know.

EDIT:
    Here it is with a few mirrors..
    the one on google's site
    android.clients.google.com/packages/ota/sprint_samsung_l720/bfeb51f4befc9f910dff1c6070f2d387aaac37de.update_SPH-L720_MDL_CSB_user_RP_to_MF9_CSB_user_RP.zip

then the crappy place i uplaoded it to
    http://www.filedropper.com/bfeb51f4...c37deupdatesph-l720mdlcsbuserrptomf9csbuserrp