May 24, 2012
Love it!! Waiting for foldable tablet since years
Just curious to read your review
Please let me know
The only bad stuff: it isn't completely flat when opened

last_nooby

May 24, 2012
Good for you man You have pre-ordered it

But I don't think the phone will be good even in youtube android authority posted a video in which they showed the phones look good in folded condition but in straight it looks ugly.

Personally I don't care about aesthetic! Functionality is my only way and it's something revolutionary!!

babaorum1973

Mar 27, 2018
Neuilly-sur-Seine
Motorola Razr 5G
Nice go meet you guy ! I manage to get it too.. Tonight i putted morelocale
and use some glue to fix a litle cease.. Now its perfect.. I love it..
I have tried different Google installs without success for instance..
I almnot able to manage à royole account, May ne it should help. I Will
make z blog on the flexpai soon

Last edited:

aleekwen

Feb 6, 2005
Nice go meet you guy ! I manage to get it too.. Tonight i putted morelocale
and use some glue to fix a litle cease.. Now its perfect.. I love it..
I have tried different Google installs without success for instance..
I almnot able to manage à royole account, May ne it should help. I Will
make z blog on the flexpai soon

Mine was OK, the SIM card holder tip broke off but can still insert a SIM card. I have tried many different things. I used the Chinese app to download something called "Go" when I open the app, I see Royole and references to Play store. I still cannot get it to work. I tried to create a Royole account (no luck still).

I use my Huawei phone to convert the Chinese to English (camera/hivision). They have FAQs in the app, and it implies I needed to disable two factor authentication but it doesn't work still.

I hooked up the FlexPai to ADB/Logcat to see the debug messages and I see security exceptions. So I fear we may need to root (and this is outside of my expertise).

I use the web versions of google apps as a temp workaround (outlook for email). Some apps work some apps don't.

some pics:
https://twitter.com/augmentedtraff/status/1128420489683177474

Looking forward to your blog!

babaorum1973

Mar 27, 2018
Neuilly-sur-Seine
Motorola Razr 5G
Hi, Ive got some google functuonality installed on my flexpai (google maps is ok, playstore working but no possibility to sign in)
I am looking to install the google account apk for pie. You should have to install manually some google apk and for pie!!!

com.google.android.gms_17.1.91_(100400-247666647)-17191037_minAPI28(arm64-v8a,armeabi-v7a)(nodpi)_apkmirror.com.apk
com.android.vending_14.9.52-all_0_PR_246582236-81495200_minAPI16(armeabi,armeabi-v7a,mips,mips64,x86,x86_64)(nodpi)_apkmirror.com.a pk
google-play-services-16-1-53-000300-242560017.apk

aleekwen

Feb 6, 2005
Hi looks promising.

In your list of 3 apks two of them are actually the same "app" just different versions
com.google.android.gms is the same as Google Play Services.

You need this one

com.google.android.gsf_9-4832352-28_minAPI28(nodpi)_apkmirror.com.apk

plus this version of Google maps

com.google.android.apps.maps_10.16.1-1016101040_minAPI21(arm64-v8a,armeabi-v7a,x86,x86_64)(nodpi)_apkmirror.com.apk

AND IT WORKS!!! great work.

I can't log in but maps works otherwise.
maybe we need to latest google account manager - looking into it.

thanks

I found an account manager for Android Pie but no luck.

I look at logs in ADB - and it seems there are permissions that are not granted
nable to get provider com.google.android.gsf.settings.GoogleSettingsProvider: java.lang.SecurityException: You need MANAGE_USERS permission to: get the profile parent

I tried to grant using ADB shell but cannot.

So in an area I don't have expertise on.

I see we can unlock our bootloader so potential for other ROMs and root to address these issues

Last edited:

Babaorum19731

May 16, 2019
Hi looks promising.

In your list of 3 apks two of them are actually the same "app" just different versions
com.google.android.gms is the same as Google Play Services.

You need this one

com.google.android.gsf_9-4832352-28_minAPI28(nodpi)_apkmirror.com.apk

plus this version of Google maps

com.google.android.apps.maps_10.16.1-1016101040_minAPI21(arm64-v8a,armeabi-v7a,x86,x86_64)(nodpi)_apkmirror.com.apk

AND IT WORKS!!! great work.

I can't log in but maps works otherwise.
maybe we need to latest google account manager - looking into it.

thanks

I found an account manager for Android Pie but no luck.

I look at logs in ADB - and it seems there are permissions that are not granted
nable to get provider com.google.android.gsf.settings.GoogleSettingsProvider: java.lang.SecurityException: You need MANAGE_USERS permission to: get the profile parent

I tried to grant using ADB shell but cannot.

So in an area I don't have expertise on.

I see we can unlock our bootloader so potential for other ROMs and root to address these issues

Thanks a lot !!! I will use some tips on the sharp aquos S2 forum where @heineken78 xda member was successfull to give gapps to chinese models and to optimize romes with treble or not;)

aleekwen

Feb 6, 2005
Quick update,

Just installing this one APK
com.google.android.gms_17.1.91_(100400-247666647)-17191037_minAPI28(arm64-v8a,armeabi-v7a)(nodpi)_apkmirror.com.apk

then issue these two command from adb:
adb shell pm grant com.google.android.gms android.permission.INTERACT_ACROSS_USERS
adb shell pm grant com.google.android.gms android.permission.READ_LOGS

helps a lot.

Apps like flipboard, sirius etc now work (when they didn't before).

Apps not working for me still: pushover, textnow and the google apps (where I need to login).

thanks
Adrian

Reactions: milanvot

houli

Jan 5, 2014
Anyone managed to install playstore/Google services on this device successfully?

With many attempts, no. I even tried to root and this was unsuccessful. What did work so I could get some apps onboard was downloading the apk for Amazon app store. Finally have YouTube and other apps for viewing video content and some cool games.

Iknerokaj

Jun 3, 2019
With many attempts, no. I even tried to root and this was unsuccessful. What did work so I could get some apps onboard was downloading the apk for Amazon app store. Finally have YouTube and other apps for viewing video content and some cool games.

this sounds like such a HUGE disappointment. My set is arriving within a week and i intended for it to be my main phone driveer.
For youtube, could you login to your google account?

houli

Jan 5, 2014
this sounds like such a HUGE disappointment. My set is arriving within a week and i intended for it to be my main phone driveer.
Yes, I could load my Gmail and YouTube by signing in. I had intentions as well to use it as a daily device however I'm experiencing connectivity challenges with wifi and my data. Royole is supposed to be sending out an update soon to address some of the challenges we in North America are experiencing.

Iknerokaj

Jun 3, 2019
Yes, I could load my Gmail and YouTube by signing in. I had intentions as well to use it as a daily device however I'm experiencing connectivity challenges with wifi and my data. Royole is supposed to be sending out an update soon to address some of the challenges we in North America are experiencing.

Oh sounds good. Where did you get the news from? If they remove the Google playstore or Google services limitations, it would be really helpful.

aleekwen

Feb 6, 2005

Yes it is unlikely one can use this as their main phone, but it's close.

Google apps (or any other app) that needs to login (locally on device) will not work.
For the Youtube (Version from the Amazon store), the login is cloud based (so it works).

One can use Chrome to login to Google photos, GMail, Drive, etc (as the login is Cloud based).

For an alternative to Google Maps, try MapQuest.

Interestingly the Microsoft Apps work really well (Launcher, Cortana, OneNote & other office apps).
For Apps like Flipboard use an email account (not Google account).

See my above post on the Google Services APK to get other apps working.

Here is why I cannot use as my Main Daily Driver. I depend on apps like Pushover (doesn't work at all), Paid Google Play Store apps (PocketCasts), Some Banking Apps (it detects the Flexpai as "non compliant'), Google Assistant (I really depend on that as a developer), Some Widgets (Currency), Android Wear (Watch while I haven't tested It depends on Play Services), Focals (Smart Glasses), Duo, TextNow, Feedly.

It is a good preview to what a Huawei Phone without Google Play Store/Services will be like : )

I use it as a second device (Foldable Tablet) and I find it quite usable.

---------- Post added at 10:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 AM ----------

Oh sounds good. Where did you get the news from? If they remove the Google playstore or Google services limitations, it would be really helpful.

I just got update 1.0.27 a couple of days ago (It was huge just over 1.7 GB). I am in Toronto (Rogers). I don't have any connectivity issues though for Wifi I find it weak on 5 Ghz, but LTE is not bad.

Can you confirm you are able to login to GMAIL using the android app (or did you mean via a browser)?

thanks

Reactions: milanvot

Babaorum19731

May 16, 2019
Google access

Hello guys,
Good news to see all thé flexpai owners !
I will try to manage the Google authentification soon. My flexpai is coming back in 2 days after a problem of broken screen.. The bubbles near the hinge were huge so i managed to glue and lay the screen protector.. And it brokes.. (galaxy fold syndrom don't try to remove the protection layer).
The New firmware should help to access google

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Not for my smartwatch 🤣😭😭 but after you told Samsung app works, I think that I will write to Los Reyes Magos to send me a Samsung watch haha
    JAJAJAJAJA los reyes magos 😂😂 vivo en Chile por cierto, veo que en eres de España. But to be equally it's better to write in English 😂 good luck with your Reyes Magos this year hahaha. And yes my watch active 2 it's Tizen I dunno if this works with the active 4 that's Android wear. I remember that I have an old LG G WATCH on my house that's Android wear will try it later but it's based on Google so, I don't think the Google wear app will work at all.
    Quick update,

Just installing this one APK

then issue these two command from adb:
    adb shell pm grant com.google.android.gms android.permission.INTERACT_ACROSS_USERS
    adb shell pm grant com.google.android.gms android.permission.READ_LOGS

helps a lot.

Apps like flipboard, sirius etc now work (when they didn't before).

Apps not working for me still: pushover, textnow and the google apps (where I need to login).

thanks
    Adrian

Yes it is unlikely one can use this as their main phone, but it's close.

Google apps (or any other app) that needs to login (locally on device) will not work.
    For the Youtube (Version from the Amazon store), the login is cloud based (so it works).

One can use Chrome to login to Google photos, GMail, Drive, etc (as the login is Cloud based).

For an alternative to Google Maps, try MapQuest.

Interestingly the Microsoft Apps work really well (Launcher, Cortana, OneNote & other office apps).
    For Apps like Flipboard use an email account (not Google account).

See my above post on the Google Services APK to get other apps working.

Here is why I cannot use as my Main Daily Driver. I depend on apps like Pushover (doesn't work at all), Paid Google Play Store apps (PocketCasts), Some Banking Apps (it detects the Flexpai as "non compliant'), Google Assistant (I really depend on that as a developer), Some Widgets (Currency), Android Wear (Watch while I haven't tested It depends on Play Services), Focals (Smart Glasses), Duo, TextNow, Feedly.

It is a good preview to what a Huawei Phone without Google Play Store/Services will be like : )

I use it as a second device (Foldable Tablet) and I find it quite usable.

---------- Post added at 10:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 AM ----------

I just got update 1.0.27 a couple of days ago (It was huge just over 1.7 GB). I am in Toronto (Rogers). I don't have any connectivity issues though for Wifi I find it weak on 5 Ghz, but LTE is not bad.

Can you confirm you are able to login to GMAIL using the android app (or did you mean via a browser)?

thanks
    Just got my hands on the flexpai today.

Some of the initial impressions of the phone

1. The phone is heavy at around 300g but it feels sturdy when you are using it.
    2. The screen reminds me of the first gen of OLED by LG for the phone LG flex - grainy and you can see different shades contrasting line across the screens sometimes. This is more apparent in white background.
    3. The screen is very cool and blue and there's no option to change it in the settings.
    4. The screen has a layer of plastic on top instead of glass and because of its bending nature, it does not have an even distribution. This can be observed across the whole screen, not only on the middle bending part.
    5. Battery life seems to be above average so far.
    6. I am unable to use Google play store despite installing it via different methods - using the usual spot, using MIUI google package installer and also using GMS installer Huawei method. They are all able to install the play store and Google play services but you will not be able to sign in.

Anyone able to get connected with the flexpai software development team? It's a very expensive piece of device without Google play capabilities.

I was able to talk to the asia dev team and the US support team. Unfortunately they have already told me that there will be no framework built in to support any Google Play Sign-In's /Apps. They also have no plans on getting the device google certified. I sent back my phone for a refund yesterday. I also had major issues with notifications coming through. At this point, i would rather wait for the mate X.
    Ok, here goes the trick about making your primary screen larger and its disadvantages, hopefully someone can figure out a better way to may it work.

The way flexpai 2 primary screen size works is, the system multiplies the whole landscape resolution by certain ratio and that's what use get as for the screen width. It is probably using about 40% of screen real state in landscape mode and this is a ratio that I haven't figured out how to change, however what we can change is the resolution. By increasing the whole screen resolution we increase the primary screen size, while keeping that default 40% percent usage.

Disadvantages of doing this are:
    • that mostly top side and right side of the screen becomes unusable. They stop detecting input, so the bigger the resolution the bigger are of usage you loose, this affects even nagivation gestures and any buttons in apps. One way to reduce this disadvantage is by increasing your DPI so screeen elements become larger so you can still click them if they are on top side or right side.
    • UI is not made for this resolution change, so home screen app and some other system screens, may not behave properly. This apply aswell to recent apps (multitasking view). One way to reduce this other disadvantage is by installing a third party home screen, activating gestures, enabling a third party gestures app like "edge gestures" and since default launcher doesn't let you keep using multitasking view once you move to a third party launcher, you will need a third party app to switch between apps like "recent app" (search it in aurora store or others), and set it on your third party gestures app to be launched given certain conditions. You will also need to use gestures that doesn't go against current default gestures. You can also use third party gestures app if your status screen is not anymore reachable, just set up a gesture to call it.
    • Unfolded mode on portrait and reverse landscape becomes more difficult to use because your bottom side will never be usable, and you wont be able to call gestures from there. One way to fight this is by always using it in reverse portrait mode if you have it unfolded and regular landscape mode aswell. You can download an app called "orientation control". This is the only one I have found that allows you to use reverse portrait mode while having enabled forced rotation, so reverse portrait mode can be automatically activated once you rotate device.
    In order to make it work, you will need:
    1. keyboard that also allows you to be resized, since you will loose touchscreen area in folded and unfolded state. I use an old Microsoft swiftkey version that came in 2020, that allows you to resize it towards one size of the screen in unfolded state.
    2. Third party app resolution changer, like "second screen"
    3. Change resolution to 2000*1500, for example. You can use a DPI of 500 to make buttons larger and reachable and use a third party app to make fonts smaller. The bigger the resolution, the larger the touchscreen area you will loose. A resolution of 1960*1470 will pretty much allow you to use almost any gesture while gaining screen real state. As a suggestion, let "safe mode" enabled on settings app just in case something goes wrong.
    Hope anyone finds this information useful. I just can't go back now to the default screen size because I love how my Flexpai 2 looks with the larger primary screen size. I'm guessing this should work with original Flexpai aswell.