[ROM][ALPHA][WIP] -- Asteroid OS \\ New OS \\ Open Source \\ Non-Android Wear

Search This thread

CedArctic

Jun 11, 2012
Asteroid OS
logo-dd919dd5.svg

Introduction and Warning:
Asteroid OS is a Free Open Source alternative operating system for smartwatches. It utilizes libhybris to ensure maximum compatibility with the watch. The OS team is currently looking for active contributors to make it grow (more info at the project's webpage: http://asteroidos.org/). The OS is NOT based on Android wear and is currently in an Alpha Phase, has limited functions, applications and customizability so flash at your own risk. The current build is mostly meant for developers rather than end-users, so these images in no way reflect the finished Asteroid OS. I take no responsibility for what happens by the use of this software. By using the method bellow you don't flash Asteroid but rather run it side by side with Android wear. Essentially you place the OS file inside the watch and fastboot into it. This way Android Wear stays installed and you can test Asteroid. Asteroid at its current phase is not meant as a daily OS as it has bugs and issues, one of them being that the bluetooth doesn't work (so you can't pair it with your phone). I simply made a build of the OS, credit goes to the creator and the contributors, I can only provide you with builds, installation instructions and answers on a few questions, nothing more.

Media:
YouTube Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_GJiQYTAIk
Photos and Videos can be found in the project's twitter account (mentioned bellow).

Downloads:
Official prebuilt Asteroid OS image: http://asteroidos.org/install/

Outdated Personal Build of mine (lacks newer build features):

Instructions:
1. Make sure you have an ADB installation (Minimal adb and fastboot should do) and your watches' bootloader is unlocked and debugging is enabled from the settings.
2. Download the two files in the download section and place them in the same folder and connect the watch to the computer
3. Open up the command prompt (cmd) and navigate to that folder
4. Issue these commands:
adb push asteroid-image-dory.ext2 /sdcard/linux/rootfs.ext2
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot boot zImage-dtb-dory.fastboot
5. The watch will reboot into Asteroid OS. Every time you want to boot into asteroid you have to issue the last two commands or else you will boot into android wear normally.

Removal Instructions:
Just open up cmd, connect the watch to the computer and issue this command: adb shell rm "/sdcard/linux/rootfs.ext2"

Credits:
kido - Creator of the OS
Everyone on the #asteroid IRC
akateha
Rest of Team Pear Crew

Links:
Webpage: AsteroidOS.org
Twitter: @ asteroidOS
IRC: #asteroid

Last edited:

CedArctic

Jun 11, 2012
Screenshots, video etc can be found in the Twitter account ( @ asteroidos). :)

Bushrod

May 25, 2006
According to twitter, don't bother trying these images as it takes over three minutes to boot and there are no apps.

kokesh

Jul 20, 2010
Xiaomi Mi 9
Why would I destroy my perfectly fine watch with absolutely pointless OS, which does nothing, doesn't allow me to get notifications and has no apps?

OfficerJimLahey

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 12, 2014
Sunnyvale
www.chebucto.ns.ca
Why such negativity over something that is pre-alpha? The OP even said, this is more for developers than for end users.

Once a few iterations are out, say when the BT stack is up, and some apps available I'd be keen on checking it out and dual-booting into it. For now, I'll be keeping a watch on it.

Keep fighting the hard fight @CedArctic! :cowboy:

ShadowEO

Mar 15, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
This is definitely great to see. A fully capable linux OS on the watch. Btw OP, does it use Wayland or Mir for the display server since it's built on QT (going off what I know of Ubuntu Touch which uses QT/Mir)?

I downloaded the image but haven't messed with it just yet, the rootfs is on my watch waiting for me to boot it with fastboot. I'm excited to see how this turns out. Any idea on how it will communicate with the mobile device through Bluetooth yet, or is that still in the planning stages as you work on the UI?

Reactions: konradit

CedArctic

Jun 11, 2012
Why such negativity over something that is pre-alpha? The OP even said, this is more for developers than for end users.

Once a few iterations are out, say when the BT stack is up, and some apps available I'd be keen on checking it out and dual-booting into it. For now, I'll be keeping a watch on it.

Thanks but it's more of kido's fight. He is the original developer of Asteroid OS. I will continue to provide up to date builds until a stable release is out. It is great to see the community interested in such a project :)

CedArctic

Jun 11, 2012
This is definitely great to see. A fully capable linux OS on the watch. Btw OP, does it use Wayland or Mir for the display server since it's built on QT (going off what I know of Ubuntu Touch which uses QT/Mir)?

I downloaded the image but haven't messed with it just yet, the rootfs is on my watch waiting for me to boot it with fastboot. I'm excited to see how this turns out. Any idea on how it will communicate with the mobile device through Bluetooth yet, or is that still in the planning stages as you work on the UI?

I believe it uses the Mir server. As far as I know the watch will connect via bluetooth. Though I am not the developer of this operating system, that's kido. So don't really know much :p. For now I just make builds of it.

Reactions: ShadowEO

ShadowEO

Mar 15, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
I believe it uses the Mir server. As far as I know the watch will connect via bluetooth. Though I am not the developer of this operating system, that's kido. So don't really know much :p. For now I just make builds of it.

Ah thanks for the information. I'm really looking forward to seeing this grow, I love watching alternative operating systems for my devices ^_^

Once it has more work done on it, I could see it becoming a pretty neat project.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Asteroid OS
    logo-dd919dd5.svg

Introduction and Warning:
    Asteroid OS is a Free Open Source alternative operating system for smartwatches. It utilizes libhybris to ensure maximum compatibility with the watch. The OS team is currently looking for active contributors to make it grow (more info at the project's webpage: http://asteroidos.org/). The OS is NOT based on Android wear and is currently in an Alpha Phase, has limited functions, applications and customizability so flash at your own risk. The current build is mostly meant for developers rather than end-users, so these images in no way reflect the finished Asteroid OS. I take no responsibility for what happens by the use of this software. By using the method bellow you don't flash Asteroid but rather run it side by side with Android wear. Essentially you place the OS file inside the watch and fastboot into it. This way Android Wear stays installed and you can test Asteroid. Asteroid at its current phase is not meant as a daily OS as it has bugs and issues, one of them being that the bluetooth doesn't work (so you can't pair it with your phone). I simply made a build of the OS, credit goes to the creator and the contributors, I can only provide you with builds, installation instructions and answers on a few questions, nothing more.

Media:
    YouTube Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_GJiQYTAIk
    Photos and Videos can be found in the project's twitter account (mentioned bellow).

Downloads:
    Official prebuilt Asteroid OS image: http://asteroidos.org/install/

Outdated Personal Build of mine (lacks newer build features):

Instructions:
    1. Make sure you have an ADB installation (Minimal adb and fastboot should do) and your watches' bootloader is unlocked and debugging is enabled from the settings.
    2. Download the two files in the download section and place them in the same folder and connect the watch to the computer
    3. Open up the command prompt (cmd) and navigate to that folder
    4. Issue these commands:
    adb push asteroid-image-dory.ext2 /sdcard/linux/rootfs.ext2
    adb reboot bootloader
    fastboot boot zImage-dtb-dory.fastboot
    5. The watch will reboot into Asteroid OS. Every time you want to boot into asteroid you have to issue the last two commands or else you will boot into android wear normally.

Removal Instructions:
    Just open up cmd, connect the watch to the computer and issue this command: adb shell rm "/sdcard/linux/rootfs.ext2"

Credits:
    kido - Creator of the OS
    Everyone on the #asteroid IRC
    akateha
    Rest of Team Pear Crew

Links:
    Webpage: AsteroidOS.org
    Twitter: @ asteroidOS
    IRC: #asteroid
    A new version of asteroids has just come out. https://asteroidos.org/install/dory/

Thanks but it's more of kido's fight. He is the original developer of Asteroid OS. I will continue to provide up to date builds until a stable release is out. It is great to see the community interested in such a project :)
    I uploaded a video showing Asteroid booting up for anyone interested. :)