[ROM][CM7] [v1.3] Size-agnostic SD Card image and CM7 installer for SD Cards.

Search This thread

verygreen

Feb 13, 2011
TN
linuxhacker.ru
Please download it from nook.linuxhacker.ru
and put on first partition of this SD card
the name should start with updatei-cm and end with .zip

Then the cursor just sits. No installation of the .zip file. Do I have to have the original cm zip file on the sd card with the gapp zip file? I thought it was posted that doesn't work.

Ok, I can reproduce this and the other bit of good news is I made automatic install/recovery to work too. Thanks for the report.
Check the first post in like 5 minutes for the update about v1.1

verygreen

Feb 13, 2011
TN
linuxhacker.ru
verygreen -

Would this work with an Android 3.0 Honeycomb Preview build, instead of a CM7 build ?

I have not tried. Depends if they have a similar rc.encore.init file that describes mounts.
Provide me with a link to an image and I'll tell you (and I can update the installer to work with it too).

Edit: I just checked with a file named HC-v4-emmc.zip from HC thread. Unfortunately it'll definitely won't work as it's not in an expected format. The zip file contains three tar files that need to be separately unpacked.
While it is possible to implement updating for this sort of an archive, it just looks like a one-tiem format that is not likely to be used by anything in the future.
Given that HC thread has SDCard installation instructions, I guess there is no point in supporting HC yet until things stabilize some more.

Last edited:
Reactions: Modra76

Modra76

Sep 29, 2010
Michigan
Ok this is an update to my previous post.

I've got the gapps zip file to install.

I did the following:

1. Follow verygreen's instructions in original post.
2. Then I setup my wireless.
3. Turned nook off and pulled sdcard.
4. Connected sd card to computer.
5. Make backup of uImage and uRamdisk
6. Renamed uRecImage to uImage and uRecRamdisk to uRamdisk
7. Downloaded the latest gapps zip file and copied it to the sd card.
8. Copied the update cm zip file that I originally used from the initial install back to the sd card.
9. Ejected card, inserted card into nook and booted up.
10. Recovery popped up and started to unzip both zip files.
11. Let it finish and then it will boot normally.
12. Once the nook boots, the initial sign pops up.
13. Skip everything until you get the normal home screen. None of the sign-in will work because it is looking for a phone signal.
14. Once you get to the home screen, make sure your wifi is still setup correctly and click on the market. Then follow the normal account setup directions.

Hope this helps everyone.

Modra76

Sep 29, 2010
Michigan
Thanks for the quick reply Verygreen. You posted right as I was typing up how I got the gapps to install. Thanks for all the hard work.

cybertimber2007

Oct 31, 2007
Yea, there is a way... however when I tried it, things got very screwy (adw broke mainly). Something might have glitched, but I'll look into it again if the need arises. Based on other posts though, don't think I'll need to.

Sent from my HTC Hero CDMA using XDA App

I don't know if I did it the right way, however I followed verygreen's steps as close as possible and I was easily able to install gapps as well. I'm on a Windows 7 machine, so maybe my steps were a bit different:

1) Burned the installer image to my uSD using Win32 Disk Imager
2) Downloaded CM nightly build (most current at the time was #26)
3) Copied this zip file directly to the burned image. (Like verygreen said there's only one partition)
4) Put the uSD card in my Nook and booted up.
5) Let verygreen's program work it's magic.
6) My Nook booted back up to my Stock Rooted, so I rebooted my Nook.
7) Booted right up to CM7!

8) To install gapps, I plugged my Nook into my usb port and followed the instructions for the HC from this link:
http://www.nookdevs.com/Honeycomb_Google_Apps_and_Market
9) Once it rebooted, Market and everything works BEAUTIFULLY!

Thanks verygreen!!! :)

aludal

Aug 17, 2010
Capitola CA
fineoils.blogspot.com
Supposedly nothing. I routinely boot into eclair and then insert CM7 sdcard and it's fine.

I can't distribute gapps, like I said
Well, until I figure out why recovery boot does not work what you can try to do is this:
after initial install was successful (and you setup your wireless), power off the nook, get the sd card.
Download gapps-gb-...zip and put it on the first partition.
move the uImage file to uImage.bak and uRamdisk to uRamdisk.bak.
Copy uRecImage to uImage and uRecRam to uRamdisk.
boot with the resulting image. It should say that it found the gapps archive and unpack it.
After it flushes caches and reboots, power off, put the sd card back into the computer
move uImage.bak to uImage and uRamdisk.bak to uRamdisk
boot off the card again, hopefully the gapps are working after that.

Please let me know if any problems arise.

No problemo, thank you for all your care. A tidbit convoluted procedure, but quite understandable. Booting from shutdown takes >5 sec of pressing Power, otherwise it's just fine. Flash, YouTube, StreetView took manual installation from the Market, Flash 10.2/last YouTube give 2...5 fps, as was stated. Plus, when hiccuping and playing videos, the whole UI is becoming quite unresponsive. Well, takes some patience to wait for a streamlined ALSA. Though I still doubt it's purely ALSA/audio pipeline in video and its botched sync with video that makes video drop so many frames. Go out of sync then, but show smooth video, will ya? HWStagefright as fallback? VOME Engine from VisualOn?

Just kidding. Dalingrin will return soon and will show his magic.

Спасибо, Олег! А почему ядро 2.6.35 компилишь, вроде б ТИ ОМАП гиты ориентируют на 2.6.36+? Всё одно, успехов, а то я как разувериваюсь в возможностях 2.6.29 для Нукколора.

Last edited:

BigBadSloth

Jan 3, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
Not working on 16gb Sd card

Hey Verygreen,

I followed your install steps using a 2gb card and a 16gb card. The 2gb card works fine. However on the 16gb card it only boots up to the ANDROID_ prompt. Do you know why it it would not boot properly on the 16gb card?

Edit: I was able to create an image from my 2gb card and push that out to my 16gb card. I then made the 4 partition on the 16gb card to use all unallocated space. CM7 is working fine off the 16gb card now and I now have 13+gb of available space.

So now that I have the 16gb card working, does this mean I can place a nightly build into the boot partition and use the recovery mode to update CM7?

Last edited:

verygreen

Feb 13, 2011
TN
linuxhacker.ru
Hey Verygreen,

I followed your install steps using a 2gb card and a 16gb card. The 2gb card works fine. However on the 16gb card it only boots up to the ANDROID_ prompt. Do you know why it it would not boot properly on the 16gb card?

Hm, I don't have a 16g card to try. Technically there should not be any problems with 16g card if it is recognized by the nook which it is.
can you connect with adb when it is in such a state and take a look at logcat to see what is it doing and what is it unhappy about?

SCWells72

Feb 12, 2011
Just curious, how would one go about picking up the bottom status bar changes from this thread on SD?

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1002000

Do I just follow the standard update instructions?

EDIT: Feeling kind of dumb here. So I downloaded the build from the link above and copied it into my root partition as "update-cm7-bottom-status-bar.zip" and tried to follow the instructions for updating from the first post. I held the "N" and power buttons but never got into recovery mode, so I opened ROM Manager from within the running OS and told it to reboot into recovery mode, after which the Superuser process crashed. I tried to install CWR from ROM Manager and it produce one of two errors, one being a crashed Superuser process and the other saying that privileged operations failed. Not sure what to do next. Any advice?

EDIT 2: Okay, by explicitly installing Superuser and Busybox from the Market, I can get ROM Manager to install CWR with no errors, but I still can't seem to get into recovery mode, or at least if I do, it doesn't seem to think it needs to install anything. Bummer...

Last edited:

ADude

Mar 5, 2011
Verygreen -

Is there any way to get your installer into an existing CM7 SD card (such as one from your original BT test) ?

Or conversely, get the personal files from an existing CM7 SD card into a new one made by this installer ? (I suppose the point of your installer is to make this a moot point ever after.)

SCWells72

Feb 12, 2011
Verygreen -

Is there any way to get your installer into an existing CM7 SD card (such as one from your original BT test) ?

Or conversely, get the personal files from an existing CM7 SD card into a new one made by this installer ? (I suppose the point of your installer is to make this a moot point ever after.)

I think he details how to do this in his original post at the end. Look for "How to update if you already installed using v1 of the installer and don't want to reinstall (understandably)".

I actually didn't see that until today, but I just used Titanium Backup to make a full backup of my existing CM7 SD card, installed the new one to another SD card, put Titanium Backup on there, copied the backup directory over, and restored. That got me REALLY close so that I just had to tweak a few things to be back where I started (but better!).

dweezilz

Feb 28, 2008
Ok this is an update to my previous post.

I've got the gapps zip file to install.

I did the following:

1. Follow verygreen's instructions in original post.
2. Then I setup my wireless.
3. Turned nook off and pulled sdcard.
4. Connected sd card to computer.
5. Make backup of uImage and uRamdisk
6. Renamed uRecImage to uImage and uRecRamdisk to uRamdisk
7. Downloaded the latest gapps zip file and copied it to the sd card.
8. Copied the update cm zip file that I originally used from the initial install back to the sd card.
9. Ejected card, inserted card into nook and booted up.
10. Recovery popped up and started to unzip both zip files.
11. Let it finish and then it will boot normally.
12. Once the nook boots, the initial sign pops up.
13. Skip everything until you get the normal home screen. None of the sign-in will work because it is looking for a phone signal.
14. Once you get to the home screen, make sure your wifi is still setup correctly and click on the market. Then follow the normal account setup directions.

Hope this helps everyone.

For some reason after following this I always go back to the installer with the penguin. I removed the cm7 nightly zip but it still goes. I saw it install the apps though the first time. I did notice that I did NOT have a file called uRecRamdisk, it was named uRecRam. I named that one uRamdisk. Could that be the issue? Should I rename the bak's, back to their previous file names? Any help would be appreciated.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Due to popular demand I have created a size-agnostic SDCard CM7 installer.
    Also allows to install unmodified CM7 builds on SD card.

Current version: 1.3

Grab the installer image here:
    http://crimea.edu/~green/nook/generic-sdcard-v1.3.img.gz
    it's a ~9M image that would unpack into ~130M disk image.

Also note - not all SD cards are created equal. Here is a thread of interest is you have not bought one yet: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=12964262
    Short version: buy Sandisk-branded class 4 microSD cards.

Write the image on your SD card. I tested with 2G, 4G and 8G cards and all worked.
    Any uSD card of 1G or bigger in size should work if it is recognized by your nook.
    Write on Windows by using WinImage and on Linux/MacOS X by using dd (to the entire device, not one of the partitions. The device name should not have any numbers at the end. The command is something like dd if=/somewhere/generic-sdcard.img of=/dev/sdX bs=1024k)

After done with writing, eject and then re-insert the uSD card into your computer.

Download a CM nightly build from here http://download.cyanogenmod.com/?device=encore (It is recommended to choose -87 nightly or later. If you plan to use prior version for initial install, stick with installer 1.2.1 for a different u-boot version)

Or just use your own update-cm-*-KANG-signed.zip file that is produced if you do your own builds.
    The image would correctly detect unmodified CM7 builds and would make necessary adjustments to make them work on SD card.

Put the file to the SD card (there is only one partition). Don't change the name of the file.

unmount the uSD card and insert it into the nook.
    Boot from this SD card. It'll boot and will update you on progress.
    When it's done, it'll power off.

That's it, you now have CM7 on your SD card.

How to install market and gapps:
    After you have booted into the CM7 on SD card for the first time and set up wifi access (important!)
    Go to http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php?title=Latest_Version and at the end there is a table with various google apps versions. Get the one suitable for your cyanogen version (CM7 is the latest for now). The file is named gapps-....zip
    shutdown your nook and take the SD card out, insert it into your computer.
    Copy the gapps-... file to the SD card on the first partition (titled boot) without changing the file name.
    Insert the uSD card back into the NOOK and boot into "Recovery mode" (hold nook N key and then press and hold power until the "Loading..." message appears and then disappears with screen going blank. Release power button, then press it again and hold for ~5 seconds, the bootloader "Loading..." message should be on the screen for three seconds or so before you release power button, keep holding N button until screen blanks again. If the screen went off while you were holding the power key, that means you were holding it for too long).
    Alternatively if you do not want to fight the timing, boot normally into Android, then from desktop hold power key until a poweroff menu appears, In the poweroff menu choose "reboot", in the next menu choose "recovery" and press "OK". The nook would reboot straight into recovery.

How to update to a new build:
    put the new build you want to try on the first partition. (the name must be update-cm-*.zip or cm_encore_full*.zip or just update-*.zip)
    Boot from the SDcard in the recovery mode (see above) and the new snapshot would be installed.
    The partition layout would be preserved, filesystems are NOT reformatted, so your data should be safe.

Installing other stuff:
    Booting in recovery mode would install all files that are named "update-..." and end with .zip The files would then be deleted! Most of the packages should work, but I only tested a subset and not entire syntax of updater script is implemented. Certainly format and delete are not implemented.

OC Kernel installation instructions:
    Starting with v1.2.1 there are no special instructions, install normally as described above.

Partition layout for the SD cards depends on size:
    Less than 600M - unsupported.
    up to 1G cards gets: system of ~300M and data of the rest of space. No FAT partition
    2G cards (more than 1G up to 1800M) gets: 300M system, 612M data, rest is FAT sdcard
    more than 2G cards gets: 460M system, 975M data, rest is FAT for sdcard.

How to update if you already installed using older version of the installer and don't want to reinstall (understandably):
    • Get update zip from http://crimea.edu/~green/nook/update-genimage-1.3.zip
    • Put the zip file as is onto the first partition of your sdcard..
    • reboot into recovery (triggered by the keys, the reboot into recovery does not work yet).
    • The new version would be installed and you are done.
    • You can combine this installation together with updating to .32 kernel in one step. Just put the update-cm file and the update-genimage-1.3.zip to the first partition. Make sure there is still at least 1M of space left!

Changes in 1.3
    • Install u-boot.bin and MLO loaders if provided.
    • Fixed a problem that led to overwrite of recovery kernel if a nightly was installed more than once)
    • (only in full image) updated u-boot to ignore BCB as that was a common source of problems. (that's why this version is not recommended for initial install with older nightlies, those don't provide a more correct u-boot for later operations. It's fine to do the update from older installer release, though)

Changes in 1.2.1
    • Really fixed dalingrin kernel packages installation
    • A bit more robust handling of install scripts

Changes in 1.2
    • Updated to new u-boot from B&N 1.2 update
    • Ability to obey BCB in eMMC (allows reboot into recovery from CM7)
    • Hopefully simplified the timing to trigger recovery boots from keyboard
    • Added support for Dalingrin's kernel update packages

The v1.1 version that is known good to work with 2.6.29 kernel releases is located at http://crimea.edu/~green/nook/generic-sdcard-v1.1.img.gz
    I thought I would share something that I finally figured out. I have been trying to find a way to mount the sd card boot partition without removing the card or booting to emmc. I wanted to do this so that I could download the nightly on the nook and put it directly in the boot partition. I figured out a way and it works great.

Use a root file manager to create a new folder in /data. I called mine sdboot. Then create a blank text file. I named mine 19mountsdboot (with no .txt on the end!). Then I put the following text in it and saved it:

#!/system/bin/sh
    # mount SD boot partition
    busybox mount -t vfat /dev/block/mmcblk1p1 /data/sdboot;

Copy that new file to the /etc/init.d folder using your root file manager. Change the permissions to match the other files there. Now reboot the nook.

When finished booting, you should be able to use your root file manager to go to /data/sdboot. And you should see your boot files there. (Don't mess with them.)

Now you can copy the nightly zip there. Then reboot to the verygreen recovery and your nightly should install.

All this without taking the card out or booting to emmc or hooking up to your PC. And it should stay that way even after flashing new nightlies to the sd.

Edit: I attached the file here in case people were having trouble getting it right. Just unrar and put in the /etc/init.d folder and change permissions. You still need to create the folder in /data first.

EDIT 2: I just modified the file to automatically create the directory and mount it. Just unrar and put the file in /etc/init.d folder and fix permissions. No need to create the new folder. Or better yet, I created a flashable install zip that does everything for you. You only need to flash it once (for SD installs). It will survive flashing of new SD nightlies. It can also be flashed to emmc and will mount the SD boot partition, but only if an SD install SD is in the slot. It will recognize an ordinary SD and not try to mount the SD boot partition. However, if you want to keep this on emmc, reflash after every emmc nightly flash.

EDIT 3: Just found a problem with the install zip. Needed to have the permissions set properly. Should be all fixed now. Use the rev. 1 zip

EDIT 4 (6-13-12): Added Rev 2 of the script and install zip. Rev 2 adds a symlink to the root directory so that 'sdboot' shows up in the root directory as well as in /data/sdboot. You can manually install the script to the /system/etc/init.d folder. Just unrar it and put it in that folder and set the permissions to execute. If you do not feel comfortable manually installing the script, put the zip in the boot partition and reboot to recovery and it will install it automatically for you. And you do not have to re-flash again after a new ROM flash. (If you previously had installed a prior version to /data/local/init.d, manually remove it before you flash the new version. If you don't you will have two copies on your system and that sometimes causes Root Explorer to lock up.) This version works great to direct download your new zip to sdboot with the new Goo Manager. Just change Goo Manager's download directory to /sdboot/ and it will put it on your boot partition.
    Updated SD image for CM9/CM10

[Update 10-17-12] Updated installation instructions for putting CM9/CM10 on SD have been posted here. And updated image to Rev 5 to fix an issue with installing CM10.

[Update 8-21-12] Rev 4 of image and boot files attached.

I updated the image and boot files to better accommodate CM10 and JellyBean gapp zips and provide bigger /data partitions for larger sized SD cards. The boot partition is now 300MB so the larger CM10 and JB gapps zips will fit. And now all SD cards 8GB and larger will have a 2GB /data partition to accommodate more installed apps. Thanks DizzyDen for that suggestion.

[Update 6-13-12] Rev 3 of image and boot files attached.

When updating Rev 2, somehow the duplication fixes got removed. Rev 3 restores the duplication fix along with the naming fixes.

[Update 5-09-12] Rev 2 of image and boot files attached (Replaced with newer version).

A pending change that the CM team is implementing will adversely affect verygreen SD users. They are changing the naming standard for new nightlies. They will no longer be naming the files starting with update-. That means the existing install script will no longer recognize or install a new nightly when it is copied to the boot partition. Users must rename the file to start with update- if they want the existing install script to work.

In order to assist users I have modified the install script to now also install nightlies if they begin with the new standard (cm-). I also added to the script the ability to recognize the new prefix (diff_) that is used by the new Goo Manager program to make an incremental update to an existing ROM. (Edit: The new script will continue to recognize and install zips beginning with update- to provide backward compatibility.) I have attached new rev2 files (replaced with newer version) that are to be used as described in the original post below.

--------

I have made new boot files for SD install users. They have been modified to fix the Google App duplication issue with CM9 and Google Apps. The revised script in these files will look to see if you have installed the Google versions of Calendar, Gallery, and QuickSearchBox. If you have them installed it will remove the versions that come with ICS/CM9 so that two versions of those apps will no longer show in your system.

I have attached two files.

The first is a revised generic image file for use if you have never set up your SD. It has the new boot files in it. It also has the larger partition so that the CM9 nightlies will fit. Just follow the instructions in the first post of this thread to learn how to install it.

The second file is the revised boot files themselves. This is for use if you have already set up your SD and you just want the new scripts to fix the duplication issue. To install these files, just go to your boot partition and rename two files, uRecImg and uRecRam. Just add .bak to each file. The attached file is a rar containing the new files. Just unrar and copy the two files to the boot partition to replace the files you renamed earlier. The next time you install a nightly, the script will do its checking and remove the duplicates if necessary.

Enjoy
    I uploaded the v1.2 update and updated the first post.
    Check the "recovery boot" instructions, they are changed and I believe together with the updated u-boot binary the triggering of it should be easier (even with older u-boot binary updated sequence of events is probably more robust).

For those who want to upgrade I provide update zip that would do the updating, no need to replace files by hand anymore.
    I tested the upgrade and it works. Also supported is simultaneous u-boot upgrade + update to .32-kernel based image from dalingrin.

The new image with 2.6.29 kernels is untested! But it might still work, i guess.

Enjoy.
    Just to let everyone know, I've uploaded a fixed version of this install image that will work better with Ice Cream Sandwich builds -- it'll no longer require you to flash sneakpeek1 first, and you won't have to rename the gapps. It's available for download in the Ice Cream Sandwich Nightlies thread. Huge thanks to Verygreen for helping me get it fixed.