New and improved Apps to SD(more stable, more powerful, etc) Tutorial

Search This thread

jl1030

Oct 31, 2007
Hong Kong
i've done the first part, but when i run apps2sd 2 app, it tells me 'oops, looks like you need to go through the tutorial to set up apps to sd.'
is this because i already partitioned my sd card??

please help

Quote: (I started from a fresh wipe and flash of jf1.51 adp.
A newly formatted fat32, non partitioned sd.
Put the init.rc and app2sd.sh on the sd (the files NOT the zip)

Then go to the terminal emulator and typed:
su
cp /sdcard/init.rc /data/
cp /sdcard/a2sd.sh /data/

Then reboot

Next I ran the apps2sd 2 app. It will ask you how much to you want to partition. I did 3000mb the first successful time and the dreaded low mem notice would not leave the status bar. I have read not to make it more then 1500mb. Have a good connection, dont force close it. It will reboot.

Next, after the reboot, I ran the apps2sd 2 app again and pressed "copy apps to sd" (let it do its thing)
Reboot.

Next I went back to the emulator and typed:
su
mkdir /system/sd/app-private
mkdir /system/sd/dalvik-cache
Reboot.

Go back to the apps2sd 2 app and hit move dalvik-cache.
Reboot for good measure and your done.) Quote

Last edited:

Phawkes

Mar 29, 2008
Phone wont mount =/

Ok I wanted to try apps to SD but didnt really care for it and wanted to convert back to normal. I got rid of my partioned part of my SD but I did nothing in the terminal to revert the actions taken to get apps2sd. When I download apps they go directly on the phone and not the SD card. At some point the apps2sd did work though but after wiping here and there i noticed the effects of it were going(apps going to phone and not sd). But to get to the point whenever I try to mount my phone it works for like a second and the phone says preparing sd card again. For some reason it wont connect to my computer and I'm sure you guys can imagine the trouble that bring me. I have a sd card adapter but I need to be able to mount my phone. Any ideas what went wrong or if its because I didnt revert the actions taken to get apps2sd back to normal? Please let me know anything. Thanks.

cronin4392

Jul 9, 2007
after a wipe to the dudes build.. i install mybackup pro so i can upload apps2sd app onto my phone

when i move apps2sd all of my apps from the market including mybackup pro are erased off my phone and if i restart my phone it'll stay in a loop

is this an issue with my sd card ? thanks in advance

yeah i ran into the asme problem. after the reboot after these steps:
su
mkdir /system/sd/app-private
mkdir /system/sd/dalvik-cache

i get the same problem (apps missing, including appstosd) so i am not able to complete the last steps.

why is this happening and is there a work around?

dakiddray

May 5, 2009
Apps Gone

All the apps that i chose to move when using apps to sd 2 are gone and when I try to launch them from "my downloads" in the market it says "app could not be launched" WHAT IS GOING ON, help please and also it re boots whenever i download a app....

Phawkes

Mar 29, 2008
Any have any idea whats going on with my phone from my above post? I really need to be able to hook my phone up to my computer.

Phawkes

Mar 29, 2008
Thanks for the reply Marcus, it is indeed a JF rom. I did as told and it said the files didnt exist I believe. Does this mean all traces of apps2sd are gone? And is this why my apps went straight to phone? Also does the effects of apps2sd go away with a wipe and reflashing a rom?

Jun 15, 2007
Thanks for the reply Marcus, it is indeed a JF rom. I did as told and it said the files didnt exist I believe. Does this mean all traces of apps2sd are gone? And is this why my apps went straight to phone? Also does the effects of apps2sd go away with a wipe and reflashing a rom?

Ya, that would mean that there's no traces of it left(those scripts are really the only things enabling it). The effects of it are gone as soon as those scripts are gone, but reflashing(without a wipe) doesn't clear them out.

matthewngsm

May 18, 2009
Ottawa
Can anybody please kindly tell me what I should do next? I have been stuck at this apps2sd phenomenon for over 5 days... I have successfully done this before with JF 1.5 ADP but ever since it got bricked, I have switched to many other builds to see if I can get through this process.
Now I'm at Dude's 1.1 which I believe it should be the easiest build to install the apps2sd (I just simply ran the apps2sd.apk provided in this thread) But then it went to android screen loop...

Later on I discovered that I could take out the sdcard until it got pass the android screen, then stick it back in again, it loads but I receives a lot of force closes.... long story short... I need help.

Now after I typed busybox df -h in terminal I get:

Filesystem
tmpfs 48.2M 0M 48.2M 0% /dev
tmpfs 4.0M 0M 4.0M 0% /sqlite_stmt_journals
/dev/block/mtdblock3 90.0M 60.7M 29.3M 67% /system
/dev/block/loop0 492.K 492.K 0M 100% /system/modules
/dev/block/loop1 3.4M 3.4M 0M 100% /system/xbin
/dev/block/mtdblock5 89.8M 23.3M 66.4M 26% /data
/dev/block/mtdblock4 30.0M 1.1M 28.9M 4% /cache
/dev/block//vold/179:1 720.5M 38.8M 681.7M 5% /sdcard
/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 237.8M 26.6M 198.9M 12% /system/sd
/dev/block/mtdblock5 89.8M 23.3M 66.4M 26% /system/intmem
unionfs 237.8M 26.6M 198.9M 12% /data/data

Can anybody diagnose the above log for me? :( I spent more time trying to fix this than seeing my girlfriend for the past days... please help me...

Matty

DMaverick50

May 1, 2009
San Antonio, Tx
Am I to understand by the op that if i am running dude's recent builds i can just download appstosd2 and run it and my card will be partitioned?

Will it also set up apps to run from the sd? that sounds way too easy but the first post confused me a bit...thanks

mrmonto

May 7, 2009
Wipe with Apps2SD2 on Dude 1.2b

If I do a wipe will it screw up the apps2sd2 method with Dude1.2b (have app and app-private on sd)? My phone is having performance issues, so I figured I should do a wipe. Also, I have 27MB of dalvik cache on intmem (only 10 mb free on internal mem). if I decide to move dalvik to sd what would be the risks or possible issues? Thanks!

Lakers3408

Jan 14, 2009
Covina (Los Angeles)
This is the old school way but the exact order to do it in maybe scripts can be modded.

cp -a /system/app system/sd/app
mv /system/sd/app /system/sd/appsys

<<<hero only>>> cp -a /system/app_s /system/sd

cp -a /data/app /system/sd
cp -a /data/app-private /system/sd
cp -a /data/dalvik-cache /system/sd

reboot in recovery
mount system

rm -rf /system/app
<<hero>> rm -rf /system/app_s

ln -s /system/sd/appsys /system/app
ln -s /system/sd/app_s /system/app_s

mount data

rm -rf /data/app
rm -rf /data/app-private
rm -rf /data/dalvik-cache

ln -s /system/sd/app /data/app
ln -s /system/sd/app-private /data/app-private
ln -s /system/sd/dalvik-cache /data/dalvik-cache

Did all of the above and it worked, well sort of :confused:

My browser force close every single time i try to open it, any ideas as to this problem? It worked fine before doing all the above. :(

P.S
I am using the NEW Hero Rom

Last edited:

nightshiftc

Mar 14, 2009
Lost all apps

I lost all my apps as well as root access after going through this process - any ideas?

I am using JF 1.5

I do have like 1,300MB more or less of disk space on the phone now and it is flying which would be a plus if the above hadn't happened.

Thanks in advance for help...

Jun 15, 2007
I lost all my apps as well as root access after going through this process - any ideas?

I am using JF 1.5

I do have like 1,300MB more or less of disk space on the phone now and it is flying which would be a plus if the above hadn't happened.

Thanks in advance for help...

Woah, umm how do you know you lost root access? That shouldn't be possible since everything for it is built into the system directory which nothing of mine touches.

Jun 15, 2007
Am I to understand by the op that if i am running dude's recent builds i can just download appstosd2 and run it and my card will be partitioned?

Will it also set up apps to run from the sd? that sounds way too easy but the first post confused me a bit...thanks

It will give you a gui with which to partition it, yes. Just remember it'll take a while and wont like what you're doing so if it asks to force close press "wait", ignore any notifications and make sure you're on a good connection. This does fail sometimes(and sometimes causes boot looping) but any problem should be easily fixed by reflashing the ROM and/or reformatting the sd card and starting over. It's kinda just the way it is for this big of a hack.

Jun 15, 2007
i got the ext to with apps2sd now if i wana take off all the apps from sd cuz i have some that i dont want on there what do i do to take them off my sd

If you download the appstosd2.zip file in the first post and unzip it you'll find appstosd2.apk inside. Put that on your sd card(FAT32 partition) and install it using one of the file managers or the package installer app. Run it and there'll be a button called "Manage Apps" press that and you'll get a nice list of all your apps and checkboxes that indicate whether each app(and it's dalvik-cache) is on the internal memory or not. Check the checkboxes of the apps you want to move to the phone and you're set :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    umm when i run appstosd it says it formats but then when i push reboot now nothing happens.. also, when i type reboot at the terminal it tells me i dont have permission even tho im already running su