[Q] Twrp won't install custom rom gives error message

Search This thread

Jacobloveskindles

Dec 27, 2012
the error message was error flashing zip then it went to updating partition details.should i just continue with it or what?edit:it also shows the 3 buttons that you get at the end of an installation and the rom i was flashing was cyanogenmod 10

Last edited:
Reactions: cyanosteve

soupmagnet

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 7, 2012
Austin, TX
Google Pixel 6
the error message was error flashing zip then it went to updating partition details.should i just continue with it or what?edit:it also shows the 3 buttons that you get at the end of an installation and the rom i was flashing was cyanogenmod 10
That's a known bug in TWRP. Install a version previous to the one you're using, or install COTR.

soupmagnet

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 7, 2012
Austin, TX
Google Pixel 6
If I use your soup kit to change into fast boot can I just install twrp on soup kit and it will downgrade me to an older version?
Yes, the SoupKit that is posted now has an older version of TWRP. I'm in the process of updating it so you should probably grab it while you have the chance, should you decide to go that route. You could also install Cannibal Open Touch Recovery. All versions of it are quite stable.

Jacobloveskindles

Dec 27, 2012
confused

Yes, the SoupKit that is posted now has an older version of TWRP. I'm in the process of updating it so you should probably grab it while you have the chance, should you decide to go that route. You could also install Cannibal Open Touch Recovery. All versions of it are quite stable.
So if I'm inside twrp and have soupkit up on the PC and have my kindle plugged in and change it to fast boot then hit flash twrp will it do its thing and downgrade me and reboot my kindle into twrp 2.2 and let me install a ROM.

soupmagnet

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 7, 2012
Austin, TX
Google Pixel 6
It has been brought to my attention that you may be confused between the KFU (Kindle Fire Utility) and TWRP (Team Win Recovery Project). The KFU is a Windows based utility used to change bootmodes, install custom versions of the recovery and bootloader partition images along with various other tasks. It has no affiliation with TWRP, COTR, or FireFireFire, other than it installs them to your device for you.

However, the "bug" in TWRP mentioned earlier is due to that way it handles the updater scripts in certain ROMS. It has nothing to do with your system files. The reason you have no system files right now, is because you wiped them prior to attempting to flash a ROM. Since the ROM was never successfully flashed, you have no system files in place, therefore nothing to boot to.

Downgrade your version of TWRP, or install a different recovery altogether, make sure you have wiped data (factory reset) and reinstall your ROM. After that, you should no longer have any problems.

I strongly suggest you take the time to read the guides and tutorials available for the Kindle Fire and make sure you understand how everything works before you do something and get yourself in a situation that you can't get out of on your own.

Last edited:

Jacobloveskindles

Dec 27, 2012
It has been brought to my attention that you may be confused between the KFU (Kindle Fire Utility) and TWRP (Team Win Recovery Project). The KFU is a Windows based utility used to change bootmodes, and install custom versions of the recovery and bootloader partition images. It has no affiliation with TWRP, COTR, or FireFireFire, other than it installs them to your device for you.

However, the "bug" in TWRP mentioned earlier is due to that way it handles the updater scripts in certain ROMS. It has nothing to do with your system files. The reason you have no system files right now, is because you wiped them prior to attempting to flash a ROM. Since the ROM was never successfully flashed, you have no system files in place, therefore nothing to boot to.

Downgrade your version of TWRP, or install a different recovery altogether, make sure you have wiped data (factory reset) and reinstall your ROM. After that, you should no longer have any problems.

I strongly suggest you take the time to read the guides and tutorials available for the Kindle Fire and make sure you understand how everything works before you do something and get yourself in a situation that you can't get out of on your own.
There are no tutorials on how to downgrade twrp on kindle fire.look at my previous post its not about kfu its about your soup kit.I checked your thumbnails.it allows me to install twrp but,please I need to know how to downgrade twrp without using the command line.the last time I used the command prompt or typed a command windows gave me a bsod.but now I'm in Linux because of that,anyways,in other words,I don't wanna use a command line.just pleez read my previous post over entirely.

soupmagnet

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 7, 2012
Austin, TX
Google Pixel 6
There are no tutorials on how to downgrade twrp on kindle fire.look at my previous post its not about kfu its about your soup kit.I checked your thumbnails.it allows me to install twrp but,please I need to know how to downgrade twrp without using the command line.the last time I used the command prompt or typed a command windows gave me a bsod.but now I'm in Linux because of that,anyways,in other words,I don't wanna use a command line.just pleez read my previous post over entirely.
I did read your post, entirely.

I'm addressing the fact that you contacted the developer of the KFU, and due to your confusion about things work, gave him the impression that I said something that I clearly haven't.

The "bug" mentioned earlier in this thread has nothing at all to do with the KFU, therefore the developer of that utility is not responsible for it. That being said, the bug in TWRP that prevented you from flashing a ROM has nothing to do with the fact that you don't have system files, as you erroneously assumed.

Even with that, you as the user, assume all responsibility for anything you do to your device, not the developers of this community. This is a community of developers, for developers. This is not a community of developers, for people that don't know what they're getting into, and run into trouble as a result of it.

Now, for your problem at hand...

If you go through this thread carefully, you'll see that I have already answered your question. Go back and pay attention to what's been said and you should be fine.

Last edited:

Jacobloveskindles

Dec 27, 2012
last question

stupid question:do i need to be in fastboot because it says i can do it in any bootmode but of course im gonna be in twrp and downgrading

votinh

Jul 6, 2011
So if I'm inside twrp and have soupkit up on the PC and have my kindle plugged in and change it to fast boot then hit flash twrp will it do its thing and downgrade me and reboot my kindle into twrp 2.2 and let me install a ROM.
I'm not an expert on this but let do together. I want to learn something too.

According to the previous post, you asked and soupmagnet already answered that it will install a previous version of TWRP.
Why don't you do that then?
Next question is can you get into TWRP (whatever version you're using now, new or old)?

Jacobloveskindles

Dec 27, 2012
the kindle will boot into recovery

I'm not an expert on this but let do together. I want to learn something too.

According to the previous post, you asked and soupmagnet already answered that it will install a previous version of TWRP.
Why don't you do that then?
Next question is can you get into TWRP (whatever version you're using now, new or old)?
because i don't know if it needs fastboot and yes i can get into twrp

soupmagnet

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 7, 2012
Austin, TX
Google Pixel 6
i flash a recovery in the recovery?lolwut
I can't believe this is still being discussed.

Yes, you can flash recovery in recovery using a flashable .zip (like the one I posted) or via the command line. And SoupKit will install recovery whether you are booted into fastboot, recovery, or a normally booted device.

You're making this way harder than it needs to be. You could have avoided all of this if you would have just read the guides and tutorials available to you from the start.

Jacobloveskindles

Dec 27, 2012
srry this took so long

I can't believe this is still being discussed.

Yes, you can flash recovery in recovery using a flashable .zip (like the one I posted) or via the command line. And SoupKit will install recovery whether you are booted into fastboot, recovery, or a normally booted device.

You're making this way harder than it needs to be. You could have avoided all of this if you would have just read the guides and tutorials available to you from the start.
That was my final thing.just yeah.thanks for staying with me BTW,know how you said the kfu thing wasn't discussed between this page.that was something I discovered I guess the dev thought we discussed that.I'll give you a thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If my TWRP is not picking up any of the roms that I've downloaded and placed in downloads or Goomanager folders..would that also need an older version of TWRP that way it would "see" those files?

Twrp can see any .zip file, just need to look in correct folder, if the files do not end in .zip they are not roms

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using Tapatalk