Alecs Windows-Phone-7 Taskbar Icons W/VGA WM6.5/6.5.X [June 20 update!]

Search This thread

optyqus

Sep 8, 2007
Romania, NT
WARNING: installing this taskbar implies a risk of rendering your taskbar inoperable (especially if you have a stock rom on your device), which leads to impossibility to access the start menu to remove it. To avoid this, go to post #3, read it and install the attached cab.

JUNE 20 UPDATE: added new cab -Alecs WP7 Taskbar V2.0- built with HD2 files. This cab works both on WM6.5 and 6.5.X and on most devices (theoretically). This time I added CDMA and other specific icons. You'll notice that all the icons in V2.0 have rounded corners (this suits better with the actual skinning trends on XDA). To get the volume icon working, download Volume Fixes V2.zip and install the appropriate cab inside. Please note that is still in TESTS! And don't forget to post your feedback!

fktjjl.png

WVGA & VGA
QVGA & WQVGA - not available
WM 6.5 & 6.5.X
GSM & CDMA (only in v2.0)
WWE (English) ROMS only! Users with Non-WWE ROMS
read post #9
Built for HTC devices! Chances for this to work on other devices
(Toshiba, Samsung, Asus etc) are small.

After almost 4 weeks of work on this project I managed today to finally take out the first cabs. I'm pretty sure this is gonna look good on your phones, it does on mine. Though I don't particularly like WP7 themes, I must agree that their light blue tone really looks good on a pitch black background, so I decided to set this blue-square look on the taskbar.

INFO (read carefully)

This is a work in progress! Some icons (not many) are not skinned yet; further skinning is scheduled, but for now my work focuses on adapting the icons for W/QVGA. CDMA users will have to wait a few days for an updated cab, as I did not had the time (and patience) to draw the cdma icons for this release. Some of the icons were created by modifying images available on the web, thus credit goes to their authors. Please, do not post questions like "Will this work on my X device?", just try at your own risk and find out if it does; it's hard for me to know the effects of these cabs on different roms and devices. Due to the current rom abundance it's impossible to create an universal taskbar cab file and to make all users happy. I cannot be held responsible for any eventual damage or disfunctionalities following the installation of my cabs.

HOW TO INSTALL

1. If you have a custom taskbar installed, uninstall it first and reboot.

2. Download and install the cab that matches your OS (WM 6.5 has the start icon on the upper-left corner, WM6.5.X has the start icon on the bottom-left corner), then reboot. Though the cab contains the certifications, it's safer for you to first install sdkcerts.

3. For WM6.5.X- after the installation there's a chance your volume icons won't get skinned (or the volume area will not respond to touch). In this case you must identify your version of HTCVolumeControl.dll (you can find it in the Windows folder using Resco Explorer or Total Commander, but be sure you uncheck the "Hide hidden files" option first). Then download the appropriate VolumeFix cab from post #2, install it and perform a reboot.

First release: 22.05.10
- Alecs WP7 Taskbar V1-WM6.5 W/VGA
- Alecs WP7 Taskbar V1-WM6.5.X W/VGA
Second release: 20.06.10
- Alecs WP7 Taskbar V2.0 (single cab for both wm6.5 and 6.5.X)

V1
2uzvy1e.png

V2
j9v8cw.png

Currently skinned icons:

-signal
-volume
-battery
-notifications (sms, mms, missed calls etc.)
-alarm
-wifi
-GPRS, EDGE, 3G and HSDPA icons and connecting animations
-activesync
-headset, BT stereo headset
-start icon
-flight mode, GPS, no SIM etc etc.

Other Icons:

- Custom wait cursor (used temporary): the standard WM cursor switched to light blue.
- Custom system folder icons (icon is from a shared icon archive here on XDA. Whoever the author is, I thank him). If you don't like this icon, uninstall the taskbar and go back to the old boring folder icons :D
- Custom icon for .exe files (that don't have their own icon)
2ly1tnd.png

TO DO:

-nothing; this project is currently on hold and no further updates scheduled.

Special Thanks to:
  • Shahab2500, for his testing activity and feedback.
  • djcedric, for allowing me to use and modify his nice speaker icons
  • DarkNinja, for his great wait cursor (not used in this release though)
  • Other users who did a great job with their taskbar projects (dafunk, Brians, Dinik, ArtieQ and so on)
  • Ascary, Phenomen, Steff195, Khosty and other people who encouraged this project.
  • All people who like and use this taskbar.
If you like this project and wanna see it grow, don't be shy and press the donate button :D. I do this for fun, but any contribution is appreciated​

Last edited:
Reactions: nuvens

optyqus

Sep 8, 2007
Romania, NT
In order to prevent the imposibility to access the start menu and reach the "Remove programs" option to uninstall my taskbar if it didn't work for you (and your taskbar disappeared), install the attached cab. It sends a shortcut to start menu in your start menu (sounds weird I know), so you can place this shortcut as a sense quicklink (see the screenshots). This way you'll still be able to go to start menu if your taskbar doesn't respond.
HD2 users can remove my taskbar by going to Programs Manager via Sense 2.5 settings tab.

Note: I'm not the author of the exe file used in this cab (this exe opens the start menu), and unfortunately I can't remember who the author is. But the credit goes to him, whoever he his.

Attachments

• capture000.jpg
    capture000.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 3,334
  • capture001.jpg
    capture001.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 2,832
Last edited:

Pandemoniumone

Apr 5, 2008
Sacramento
Looks really nice bro, I'll give it try!

Edit - Unsuccessful here on my HD2 running Miri's v17.0 Rom. Made sure I had the sdkcert installed then installed the 6.5.x cab and the only icon that shows up is the Bluetooth icon. It did not render my device inoperable though so I was able to uninstall without issue.

Last edited:

Etihad

Mar 14, 2010
Frankfurt, Germany
Not working on my HD2 German Stock ROM 1.66.407.1.
All taskbar icons disappear and I can't access start menu after installing this.

Uninstall worked at least.

optyqus

Sep 8, 2007
Romania, NT
Oh, @Etihad, I forgot to mention that this is for WWE roms only. I'll update the first post with this info. However, there is a fix for this, read below:

Known issue with some ROM’s when installing this taskbar:
The start logo, signal and other icons do not change this is because this taskbar works well with WWE ROM’s that call on the taskbar file shellres.192.dll in windows folder for these icons, if you are using a ROM that calls on shellres.192.dll.0409.mui if it’s English ordepending on the language you have on your ROM that 0409 number could be different example 0410 etc...then not all the icon’s will change!!!

This can be fixed after installing this taskbar go to windows folder of your device and you should see these 2 files shellres.192.dll and shellres.192.dll.0409.mui first rename shellres.192.dll.0409.mui toshellres.192.dll.0409.mui_z andthenrename the shellres.192.dll to shellres.192.dll.0409.mui in the windows folder of your device using either Total Commander or Resco File explorer soft reset that should do the trick! If this sounds complicated then post here with the name of that file in the windows folder of your device example shellres.192.dll.0409.mui or whatever it is then I can post a cab fix here!;)

(Gfreek's original thread HERE).

optyqus

Sep 8, 2007
Romania, NT
Thanks for appreciation guys, it means allot after all this hard work.
QVGA version is coming soon; almost all icons were resized, but some of them must be build from scratch, as resizing makes them too blury.

steff195

Nov 5, 2008
Severin
Two thumbs up!

Very glad to see your work here. ;) As we spoke on other forums, I can hardly wait to test the WQVGA version, and maybe include it in my roms, with your permission, of course (but we already discussed about that :D ). But, you don't have to rush this, just take your time and get the best of it.

I could use the blue WP7 style cursor also on my Omnia. :D

Until then, two thumbs up!:cool:

imax98

Feb 3, 2009
QVGA Version

Taskbar looks great with your icons. Eager to see the QVGA version for installing on the phone.

imax98

optyqus

Sep 8, 2007
Romania, NT
Omnia, Omnia 2 and other non-HTC devices have different dll structure, so it's normal for this to not work on these devices. I updated the first post with this info. I'm working on a dedicated cab for Samsung Omnia, but I can't promise anything for Omnia 2 (different resolution, different dlls, allot of work for replacing all the resources).

To those who try the cab and it doesn't work, please specify:

- your device
- your ROM (6.5, 6.5.X, build, version, author)
- the nature of the problem (taskbar dissapearance, misalignments etc)

Last edited:

mad_a_22

Jan 21, 2010
i guess i made a right action when i specify my device.:D
i'll wait for an update on my device....this taskbar looks cool actually.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    WARNING: installing this taskbar implies a risk of rendering your taskbar inoperable (especially if you have a stock rom on your device), which leads to impossibility to access the start menu to remove it. To avoid this, go to post #3, read it and install the attached cab.

JUNE 20 UPDATE: added new cab -Alecs WP7 Taskbar V2.0- built with HD2 files. This cab works both on WM6.5 and 6.5.X and on most devices (theoretically). This time I added CDMA and other specific icons. You'll notice that all the icons in V2.0 have rounded corners (this suits better with the actual skinning trends on XDA). To get the volume icon working, download Volume Fixes V2.zip and install the appropriate cab inside. Please note that is still in TESTS! And don't forget to post your feedback!

fktjjl.png

WVGA & VGA
    QVGA & WQVGA - not available
    WM 6.5 & 6.5.X
    GSM & CDMA (only in v2.0)
    WWE (English) ROMS only! Users with Non-WWE ROMS
    read post #9
    Built for HTC devices! Chances for this to work on other devices
    (Toshiba, Samsung, Asus etc) are small.

After almost 4 weeks of work on this project I managed today to finally take out the first cabs. I'm pretty sure this is gonna look good on your phones, it does on mine. Though I don't particularly like WP7 themes, I must agree that their light blue tone really looks good on a pitch black background, so I decided to set this blue-square look on the taskbar.

INFO (read carefully)

This is a work in progress! Some icons (not many) are not skinned yet; further skinning is scheduled, but for now my work focuses on adapting the icons for W/QVGA. CDMA users will have to wait a few days for an updated cab, as I did not had the time (and patience) to draw the cdma icons for this release. Some of the icons were created by modifying images available on the web, thus credit goes to their authors. Please, do not post questions like "Will this work on my X device?", just try at your own risk and find out if it does; it's hard for me to know the effects of these cabs on different roms and devices. Due to the current rom abundance it's impossible to create an universal taskbar cab file and to make all users happy. I cannot be held responsible for any eventual damage or disfunctionalities following the installation of my cabs.

HOW TO INSTALL

1. If you have a custom taskbar installed, uninstall it first and reboot.

2. Download and install the cab that matches your OS (WM 6.5 has the start icon on the upper-left corner, WM6.5.X has the start icon on the bottom-left corner), then reboot. Though the cab contains the certifications, it's safer for you to first install sdkcerts.

3. For WM6.5.X- after the installation there's a chance your volume icons won't get skinned (or the volume area will not respond to touch). In this case you must identify your version of HTCVolumeControl.dll (you can find it in the Windows folder using Resco Explorer or Total Commander, but be sure you uncheck the "Hide hidden files" option first). Then download the appropriate VolumeFix cab from post #2, install it and perform a reboot.

First release: 22.05.10
    - Alecs WP7 Taskbar V1-WM6.5 W/VGA
    - Alecs WP7 Taskbar V1-WM6.5.X W/VGA
    Second release: 20.06.10
    - Alecs WP7 Taskbar V2.0 (single cab for both wm6.5 and 6.5.X)

V1
    2uzvy1e.png

V2
    j9v8cw.png

Currently skinned icons:

-signal
    -volume
    -battery
    -notifications (sms, mms, missed calls etc.)
    -alarm
    -wifi
    -GPRS, EDGE, 3G and HSDPA icons and connecting animations
    -activesync
    -headset, BT stereo headset
    -start icon
    -flight mode, GPS, no SIM etc etc.

Other Icons:

- Custom wait cursor (used temporary): the standard WM cursor switched to light blue.
    - Custom system folder icons (icon is from a shared icon archive here on XDA. Whoever the author is, I thank him). If you don't like this icon, uninstall the taskbar and go back to the old boring folder icons :D
    - Custom icon for .exe files (that don't have their own icon)
    2ly1tnd.png

TO DO:

-nothing; this project is currently on hold and no further updates scheduled.

Special Thanks to:
    • Shahab2500, for his testing activity and feedback.
    • djcedric, for allowing me to use and modify his nice speaker icons
    • DarkNinja, for his great wait cursor (not used in this release though)
    • Other users who did a great job with their taskbar projects (dafunk, Brians, Dinik, ArtieQ and so on)
    • Ascary, Phenomen, Steff195, Khosty and other people who encouraged this project.
    • All people who like and use this taskbar.
    If you like this project and wanna see it grow, don't be shy and press the donate button :D. I do this for fun, but any contribution is appreciated​
    Had to do a hard reset after installing this

-..-

On what device, what rom? In the first post I wrote clear instructions on how to avoid the need of a hard reset.