[Howto] Fix "Battery Low - Cannot program"

Search This thread

Sorensiim

Nov 1, 2010
Disclaimer: This worked for me, your mileage may vary. You might end up ruining your phone and even hurting yourself in the process. Do this on your own risk, I cannot be held responsible for whatever illness, fires, explosions or biblical plagues that may or may not befall you after following these steps. You have been warned.

Props to these guys for leading the way: http://modmymobile.com/forums/8-gui...w-flash-phone-battery-low-cannot-program.html

Well this was scary... I installed the System Recovery app last night but after clicking "recovery boot" I just got the Motorola "M" logo and nothing else. Booting into recovery, I got the message "Battery low - Cannot program". Odd... there was about 80% charge left when I rebooted. Ah well, I let it sit in the charger overnight. This morning: "Battery low - Cannot program". Not good. After some googling I found out that I had two options:
1) Send it in for repair, claim that it just suddenly stopped booting. Cross my fingers they don't fix it and see it being rooted, running a custom rom with JIT, deodex, overclocking, undervolting and just about every single hack available for the Defy.

2) Go McGyver. This is what I did:

Get a USB cable, cut the off the B plug (the one that plugs into the device) and strip away the shielding, revealing the 4 individual wires inside: White, Green, Red and Black. Red is +5V DC and Black is ground. strip a few (1-2) mm's off each and gently push them into the + and - slots on the battery. Apply some tape to keep them in place, but don't cover the other connectors. Now plug the battery back in, a tight fit, but possible if you've peeled back the shielding and the white and green wires so that only Black and Red are actually being crammed in there with the battery.

mcgyver.JPG

Be VERY careful that the wires are ONLY touching their appropriate terminals. Otherwise you might fry your phone and/or make your battery explode. Red goes to the + terminal, Black goes to the - terminal

Plug the business end of the newly modded usb cable into your computer, thus allowing 5V DC to flow directly to your phone and battery. This is basically like jump leads for a car, but 5V and for a phone :)

Get the bootloader going (Volume up + power on) and you should now see a message along the lines of "ready to program, connect USB data cable". This is where you connect your phone to the micro USB cable you have lying around (Please tell me you didn't just kill that cable to make your USB jump leads) and connect the other end to your computer. Using RSD Lite, you should now be able to flash an SBF to the phone, and be on your merry way soon hereafter.

BadRandolph

Dec 27, 2010
thanks dude, my defy was drivin me crazy with that.. got into a loop with no battery, right on first january, nowhere to find another batt.

glad it worked out, great job, i found nothing like this ;)

Sorensiim

Nov 1, 2010
Happy to help!

I did it at work, got a few curious questions as to what I was doing, but nobody seemed surprised to see me perform "open-wire surgery" on my cell phone, I guess they've gotten used to me by now... :D

TobiG

May 6, 2009
OK, I did the same... Ran out of battery in the middle of the flash... System does not boot up, does not charge, does not leave bootloader because of corrupt flash...

Good thing I have a lab power supply (regulated, stabilized voltage from 3-30V) on my desk (don't ask ;)) and some nice clips to connect the power.

Some notes:
  • 3V is enough to flash. (Battery was down to 2.5V, which is not enough)
  • 5V (USB) might be a bit much (battery has 3.7V rating) - so don't leave it connected for too long...
  • Please don't connect the battery to this setup. Unregulated charging of Li-Ion/Li-Pol battery might result in fires!

Well, system restored, charging again! HAPPY!

rbeier1221

Sep 11, 2010
Somehow I missed your post on this fix...but I had to do the same thing. Worked like a charm once I got the cables to stay in place.

Sorensiim

Nov 1, 2010
I was pretty close to flat out panic and despair when I saw that "Battery low, Cannot program" message on my phone, so I'm glad posting this guide has helped all you guys! Sharing experiences and tricks is what forums are all about, remember this when YOU figure something out that saves your butt and/or phone :)

dave55

Aug 18, 2005
Big Thanks from Dave UK, great rescue tip !!

Goin to get a desktop charger and spare battery for just such emergency's.

joey198209

Sep 24, 2010
Ponce, Puerto Rico
I used this and omg it saved my life! I had to use two different usb cabels cause the first time i cut the tip of the one that goes to the pc and when i realized what i did i felt so dumb, but was nervouse of the whole thing. But the second usb cable i did the right cut and i even felt like recording it cause i was sooo happy, but then realized that i was jump starting the phone/ camera lol. Thanx for ur method. It was awesome.

Sent from my MB525 using XDA App

Sorensiim

Nov 1, 2010
I used this and omg it saved my life! I had to use two different usb cabels cause the first time i cut the tip of the one that goes to the pc and when i realized what i did i felt so dumb, but was nervouse of the whole thing. But the second usb cable i did the right cut and i even felt like recording it cause i was sooo happy, but then realized that i was jump starting the phone/ camera lol. Thanx for ur method. It was awesome.

Sent from my MB525 using XDA App

I felt the exact same thing "Woohoo it works, lemme just get my phone so I can shoot a picture of... oh wait..."

If you check the EXIF data on the image in the OP, you'll see that it was shot with an iPhone 4 I borrowed from a co-worker. He said something like "I know how you Android guys love tweaking, modding and hacking but thats taking it a little too far, don't you think?" (While pointing at my phone lying on my desk, stripped wires coming out of it and everything :D)

Disclaimer: This worked for me, your mileage may vary. You might end up ruining your phone and even hurting yourself in the process. Do this on your own risk, I cannot be held responsible for whatever illness, fires, explosions or biblical plagues that may or may not befall you after following these steps. You have been warned.

Props to these guys for leading the way: http://modmymobile.com/forums/8-gui...w-flash-phone-battery-low-cannot-program.html

Well this was scary... I installed the System Recovery app last night but after clicking "recovery boot" I just got the Motorola "M" logo and nothing else. Booting into recovery, I got the message "Battery low - Cannot program". Odd... there was about 80% charge left when I rebooted. Ah well, I let it sit in the charger overnight. This morning: "Battery low - Cannot program". Not good. After some googling I found out that I had two options:
1) Send it in for repair, claim that it just suddenly stopped booting. Cross my fingers they don't fix it and see it being rooted, running a custom rom with JIT, deodex, overclocking, undervolting and just about every single hack available for the Defy.

Get a USB cable, cut the off the B plug (the one that plugs into the device) and strip away the shielding, revealing the 4 individual wires inside: White, Green, Red and Black. Red is +5V DC and Black is ground. strip a few (1-2) mm's off each and gently push them into the + and - slots on the battery. Apply some tape to keep them in place, but don't cover the other connectors. Now plug the battery back in, a tight fit, but possible if you've peeled back the shielding and the white and green wires so that only Black and Red are actually being crammed in there with the battery.

mcgyver.JPG

Be VERY careful that the wires are ONLY touching their appropriate terminals. Otherwise you might fry your phone and/or make your battery explode. Red goes to the + terminal, Black goes to the - terminal

Plug the business end of the newly modded usb cable into your computer, thus allowing 5V DC to flow directly to your phone and battery. This is basically like jump leads for a car, but 5V and for a phone :)

Get the bootloader going (Volume up + power on) and you should now see a message along the lines of "ready to program, connect USB data cable". This is where you connect your phone to the micro USB cable you have lying around (Please tell me you didn't just kill that cable to make your USB jump leads) and connect the other end to your computer. Using RSD Lite, you should now be able to flash an SBF to the phone, and be on your merry way soon hereafter.
Hi, can u please help tofix this issue?? I have been trying this way, but no luck... would u plz refer to the following link for more clarity on issue occurence?
Many thanks in advance...

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=932264

crazyVII

Jul 16, 2008
one question ;)

hey guys,

one serious question,
did you flash from the boot loader while the hack (+,-) were connected?

so one hacked usb cable to +,-
another to the micro usb connector and googogog :) flash?

or did you waited for some time? half an hour? an hour? waited for some charge and then reflasheD?

thanks guys, stuck at white led, black screen-dead phone ;)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

mcgyver.JPG

This is the safer way to charge just a battery.. you dont need to cut any wires anymore. USB battery charger for Defy http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BF5X-Battery-...289712?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item4157863df0 or just a charger for 3.99$ http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Motorola-Defy...307?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a63866163
    Motorola_MB525_MB520_DEFY_Battery______.jpg

Motorola_BF5X_Defy_15.jpg

I have used the similar charger for xperia x1 and it really works good ! :)
    It still makes me smile when a new users posts that this has helped him/her save a phone :)

Edit: Don't y'all be afraid to click that "Thanks" button in the OP ;)
    some more screens

i think this is a "secure way to do this" .. was my way, didnt rescue my defy, but
    VOL UP key before BATTERY IN ... may have... maybe this helps someone :)
    charged first, flashed later
    OK, I did the same... Ran out of battery in the middle of the flash... System does not boot up, does not charge, does not leave bootloader because of corrupt flash...

Good thing I have a lab power supply (regulated, stabilized voltage from 3-30V) on my desk (don't ask ;)) and some nice clips to connect the power.

Some notes:
    • 3V is enough to flash. (Battery was down to 2.5V, which is not enough)
    • 5V (USB) might be a bit much (battery has 3.7V rating) - so don't leave it connected for too long...
    • Please don't connect the battery to this setup. Unregulated charging of Li-Ion/Li-Pol battery might result in fires!

Well, system restored, charging again! HAPPY!