[APP] Cell Broadcasts - Emergency Alert System

Search This thread

ackliph

Jan 19, 2010
Little Rock
My biggest hold back on installing CM10 or AOKP was the lack of Cell Broadcasts built in. But low an behold I was able to restore it from a Titanium Backup. I figured I'd go ahead and share it here for all. And maybe for myself if I ever lose it! ;)

This for sure installed on AOKP. At least it installed, I'll have to wait until Wednesday when they do the test to confirm it works.

To install (this is old, the link at bottom has a flashable zip.):
1. Copy the "CellBroadcastReceiver.apk" into "/system/app"
2. Change the permissions to "rw- r-- r--"
3. Restart

It wont be a normal app, but it should appear under Settings --> More... --> Cell broadcasts

Screenshot_2013-01-07-00-49-33.jpg
Screenshot_2013-01-07-00-49-41.jpg

ENJOY!

Edit: rmkilc is awesome and made a flashable zip! Install-CellBroadcastReceiver-1.0.zip

Last edited:

ackliph

Jan 19, 2010
Little Rock
Rather pointless to be honest.

It may not be for everyone. But for me, in Arkansas, I find it useful for Tornado warnings. The AMBER alerts are good too. Apps use data and GPS, thus killing your battery. This is a more stable system than some app. Most of the time my phone's WiFi is connected to some shoddy open Linksys router and in and out of proper data service anyway.

Cell Broadcast is like receiving a free text. Good for those on limited data plans, or those that need to be safe!

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cell_Broadcast

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

jutezak

Sep 19, 2010
But... aren't cell broadcasts are a standard feature on this phone?

To be found under Setting, More.. and Cell boradcasts.

But... aren't cell broadcasts are a standard feature on this phone?

To be found under Setting, More.. and Cell boradcasts.

I think this was standard on the STOCK build, I can not remember since I rooted and flashed CM10 nearly the same day I got the phone. The point of this as the OP states is that once you flash CM10 you lose this functionality. He provided a way to recover that functionality.

kristoff125

Dec 19, 2010
Why does this get stripped out when they build the ROMs? I can't imagine anyone actually thinking it'd be a good idea to remove this, is it an oversight?

jutezak

Sep 19, 2010
Cell broadcasts are true broadcasts, so there are no network overload issues when sending them out.

And they work as soon as there is coverage. If you are roaming somewhere without data, the broadcasts will still work.

zephiK

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 23, 2009
New York, NY
Doesn't Google Now have something like this built in?
"Public Alerts" card? ... I do remember when a hurricane was coming to NYC, I never received any alerts. Although I was told by some people, it was in text messages.

threeclaws

Mar 7, 2006
California
Thanks to the OP for the app, obviously some people wanted it.

I find this funny though because my parents and I spent xmas weekend trying to figure out how to turn this crap off on their iphones, never did find a way, fortunately my n4 (stock at the time) did not have this annoyance.

daern

Jun 28, 2005
Not had a single tsunami or tornado alert from mine yet....beginning to think it's broken. Does it also do volcanos?

Daern, Yorkshire, UK.

Reactions: floepie

gotzaDroid

Sep 13, 2012
Not had a single tsunami or tornado alert from mine yet....beginning to think it's broken. Does it also do volcanos?

Daern, Yorkshire, UK.

It's all carrier dependent. Mine doesn't work either and I'm on one of the US's major three carriers.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium

Richieboy67

Dec 10, 2011
CT
www.talkdevelopment.net
With the stock rom i had found settings for this for what type of alerts I Wanted to get etc. I did get some alerts and they scared the crap out of me. They are sort of like the ebs on tv.

I am so glad to have this again.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    My biggest hold back on installing CM10 or AOKP was the lack of Cell Broadcasts built in. But low an behold I was able to restore it from a Titanium Backup. I figured I'd go ahead and share it here for all. And maybe for myself if I ever lose it! ;)

This for sure installed on AOKP. At least it installed, I'll have to wait until Wednesday when they do the test to confirm it works.

To install (this is old, the link at bottom has a flashable zip.):
    1. Copy the "CellBroadcastReceiver.apk" into "/system/app"
    2. Change the permissions to "rw- r-- r--"
    3. Restart

It wont be a normal app, but it should appear under Settings --> More... --> Cell broadcasts

Screenshot_2013-01-07-00-49-33.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-01-07-00-49-41.jpg

ENJOY!

Edit: rmkilc is awesome and made a flashable zip! Install-CellBroadcastReceiver-1.0.zip
    Here is a flashable zip for this, including an addon.d script. ackliph, if you want to share this in the OP, go for it. If you would rather I didn't share this here, just let me know.

Install-CellBroadcastReceiver-1.0.zip
    A new flashable zip with the updated CellBroadcastReceiver.apk pulled from 4.2.2 (JDQ39) can be found here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2164711

As someone who has received numerous EAS alerts about shootings/tornadoes in the local metro area, I have to say it is very much not pointless.