GSM auto (PRL) vs. WCDMA preferred

Search This thread

mcgoo99

Nov 15, 2009
what is the difference between these two settings on my N1? i get 3G/H with either setting, and they both switch to Edge around the same coverage areas too. PRL seems to have ever-so-slightly better dBm power readings, anyone else seen this? both seem to have similar network performance too (based on download speeds), should i stick with one or another? which gives better battery life?

TIA!

craigacgomez

Jan 29, 2010
Tustin
Hope this helps!!!

GSM Only - Only uses in G/E and never switches to 3G/H. Should have minimal battery usage.

GSM Auto (PRL) - Automatically switches between G/E/3G/H based on the PRL (Preferred Roaming List) for a provider on your phone. Not supported by all providers and may not be supported in certain regions. Should have moderate battery usage since it uses a predefined list to switch.

WCDMA Preferred - Automatically switches between G/E/3G/H based on the best/strongest signal available and is supported by all providers. Has high battery usage since it constantly scans the network for the strongest signal to switch.

WCDMA Only - Only uses HSDPA and will not switch to G/E/3G even if the HSPDA signal is too low. Use this only if you use your phone in a area with good coverage. Should have moderate battery usage.

Last edited:

mcgoo99

Nov 15, 2009
Hope this helps!!!

GSM Only - Only uses in G/E and never switches to 3G/H. Should have minimal battery usage.

GSM Auto (PRL) - Automatically switches between G/E/3G/H based on the PRL (Preferred Roaming List) for a provider on your phone. Not supported by all providers and may not be supported in certain regions. Should have moderate battery usage since it uses a predefined list to switch.

WCDMA Preferred - Automatically switches between G/E/3G/H based on the best/strongest signal available and is supported by all providers. Has high battery usage since it constantly scans the network for the strongest signal to switch.

WCDMA Only - Only uses HSDPA and will not switch to G/E/3G even if the HSPDA signal is too low. Use this only if you use your phone in a area with good coverage. Should have moderate battery usage.

thank you!! where'd you find this info?

Last edited:

RogerPodacter

Apr 12, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
There's a huge thread on this already. Gsm auto (PRL) gives me much better battery life over wcdma preferred but we really don't know exactly why. Both give you 3g and edge access.

mcgoo99

Nov 15, 2009
There's a huge thread on this already. Gsm auto (PRL) gives me much better battery life over wcdma preferred but we really don't know exactly why. Both give you 3g and edge access.

i'm discovering the much better battery life as well, pleasantly surprised to be at 70% after coming off charger 11 hours ago!

do you have a link to that thread? i searched before I posted but couldn't find anything of value. xda is a great resource, but sometimes info is difficult to retrieve from old threads. thanks!

jblazea50

Feb 10, 2010
Beltsville
Reactions: 5318008

craigacgomez

Jan 29, 2010
Tustin

I believe the fact that GSM Auto (PRL) uses a predetermined PRL to switch between G/E/3G/H vs. the phone constantly scanning to find the best signal in the case of WCDMA Preferred is the reason for the better battery life.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5318008

haksam

Mar 1, 2009
Hope this helps!!!

does anyone know what gsm disconnects: =====DATA=====

mean?

my network keeps disconnecting and reconnecting :/

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hope this helps!!!

i'm discovering the much better battery life as well, pleasantly surprised to be at 70% after coming off charger 11 hours ago!

do you have a link to that thread? i searched before I posted but couldn't find anything of value. xda is a great resource, but sometimes info is difficult to retrieve from old threads. thanks!

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=675136&highlight=improve+battery

I believe the fact that GSM Auto (PRL) uses a predetermined PRL to switch between G/E/3G/H vs. the phone constantly scanning to find the best signal in the case of WCDMA Preferred is the reason for the better battery life.