Search This thread

joplin48

Aug 8, 2010
Victoria BC
To: joplin_gl
Sent: Thursday, April 5, 2012 10:21 AM
Subject: RE: Transformer Prime Concerns Case #1654881

Dear Gregory,
I just received an update regarding the Prime’s GPS functionality.
We will be releasing a dongle shortly that will address the GPS function and be a fully usable GPS that will lock onto many satellites and keep their lock with wi-fi active.
If you choose to purchase another Prime unit we will send a the GPS dongle to you to address the GPS locks.:cool:
This is to keep you informed on making your purchase decision on picking up another Prime. I do hope we can keep you as a customer.
Thanks,
Hai Trat
JR. Technical Product Manager

Inspiring Innovation.Persistent Perfection

To: joplin_gl@yahoo.ca
Sent: Thursday, April 5, 2012 10:36 AM

Dear Gregory,
Also to update the wi-fi.* I have been testing our newer versions of our Primes over the last week and they are getting better signal strength with the wi-fi.* Wifi will vary depending on routers being used and the router settings.* I can tell you there is a definite improvement in wifi transfers and speed on the newer batches that I have.* I have been doing side by side comparisons with the TF101 and Prime with my RT-N13U router.* They are very close in performance now and I could not distinguish difference albeit very minor ones in transfer rates on both the units.* So this area has also been improved with our newer release Primes.* :cool:
Let me know if you have any more questions as I can be your direct contact for communication on making your new Prime purchase a good one.
Thanks,
Hai Trat

NEW NEWS :cool:

Sent: Thursday, April 5, 2012 3:42 PM

Dear Gregory,

GPS dongle will be provided for free when it arrives. ETA is mid April for this and we are setting up a process for it. We will inform you once the process is complete and the dongles here.

It will look similar to the hinge from the dock. Where it will be a flush fit on the bottom of the unit if held in landscape matching the color of your Prime chassis.

For the Wfi,

I don’t have much info on Staples distribution process. I will have to see if the new ones will still be arriving at a Staples store with the sales team. I will check on this to see what information I can find out for you.

If you however do find a new batch of TF201 Primes. Please look for C3… version or higher. For instance serial number will be displayed on a label outside the box such as C3OKAS123456. These are improved on the wifi from the ones we have tested. This should be universal on all of the skus. Meaning 32GB or 64GB will have the update already since it is newer iterations of the units.

RIGHT ON:cool:

Last edited:

e.mote

Feb 16, 2011
Uh oh, somebody stole the thunder from GK's big announcement.. Heads must roll... :)

Hey, this isn't a sneaky April Fools, right...

jonlad1

May 11, 2010
So the gps single will require the spare USB port?

Does he not mention what the model number is on the "later models"?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA

e.mote

Feb 16, 2011
>So the gps single will require the spare USB port?

Doubt it. That would require the dock. Am assuming this uses the proprietary connector, hence the "testing" needed, as else you can just grab any off-the-shelf USB GPS dongle instead.

demandarin

Apr 7, 2010
Alexandria, Va
Uh oh, somebody stole the thunder from GK's big announcement.. Heads must roll... :)

Hey, this isn't a sneaky April Fools, right...

well the cat is out of the bag now. I can confirm this also. was supposed to be a secret..lmfao

I'm one of the people Asus has testing it out ;) I told people I knew what the announcement was but couldn't reveal it because I was asked not to reveal it. well seems like someone posted an email. they have to be careful though. once Gary sees this thread, he will confront the person who leaked info and there go any more detailed info coming out. op or anyone should just post info without where it came from. that person could get in trouble over this as its not even official yet. testing still going on and the results determine whether its approved or not.

The dongle is very cool though. very minimalistic and made to look like part of the prime.

Last edited:

e.mote

Feb 16, 2011
>very minimalistic and made to look like part of the prime.

So does it have a cable connector + clamp to affix onto the edge, or does it stick straight out from the connector?

Pics, dude. Like you said...

catbag.jpg

Reactions: demandarin

Character Zero

Aug 22, 2010
I am more interested in the wifi fix in the second email. I am so close to buying one at Staples but not if a better build is coming

demandarin

Apr 7, 2010
Alexandria, Va
On a more serious note, lets hope that this being revealed before officially being approved doesn't mess things up for us prime owners. There are very important obvious reasons this never was announced yet. The way this news was talked about to be kept under wraps, I can almost guareentee that guy Hai might get in trouble over this. They really wanted to surprise everyone with this once approved. Legal reasons involved also more than likely.

while its cool to think we know now, it can still be easily retracted as it was never official. I just hope that guy doesn't lose his job over this. or gets demoted..lol. and changes things regarding this announcement for us. This won't be taken lightly by Asus. Believe it. SMH

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE OP! lmfaooooo.

Mar 21, 2012
I see, the process will be clear around mid Apr.

Actually it's pretty cool for Asus doing this. I am aware of the GPS issue when bought my Prime (mine is C1 series) and didn't plan to use it, but still it's nice to have it and may find it useful in occasional travellings.

Lock-N-Load

Aug 25, 2010
Under Your Skin
well the cat is out of the bag now. I can confirm this also. was supposed to be a secret..lmfao

I'm one of the people Asus has testing it out ;) I told people I knew what the announcement was but couldn't reveal it because I was asked not to reveal it. well seems like someone posted an email. they have to be careful though. once Gary sees this thread, he will confront the person who leaked info and there go any more detailed info coming out. op or anyone should just post info without where it came from. that person could get in trouble over this as its not even official yet. testing still going on and the results determine whether its approved or not.

The dongle is very cool though. very minimalistic and made to look like part of the prime.

I knew you were in on it and said as much weeks ago... See, being the endless Asus cheerleader has it's perks

Anyway, I'll take a dongle over the stupid **** I have seen people do here with guitar wire and duct take and beer cans. In the car, a dongle will be just fine by me.

I am actually fairly stoked by this.. better than anything else we've gotten this far.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Sent: Thursday, April 5, 2012 10:21 AM

Dear Gregory,
    I just received an update regarding the Prime’s GPS functionality.
    We will be releasing a dongle shortly that will address the GPS function and be a fully usable GPS that will lock onto many satellites and keep their lock with wi-fi active.
    If you choose to purchase another Prime unit we will send a the GPS dongle to you to address the GPS locks.:cool:
    This is to keep you informed on making your purchase decision on picking up another Prime. I do hope we can keep you as a customer.
    Thanks,
    Hai Trat

Inspiring Innovation.Persistent Perfection

To: joplin_gl@yahoo.ca
    Sent: Thursday, April 5, 2012 10:36 AM

Dear Gregory,
    Also to update the wi-fi.* I have been testing our newer versions of our Primes over the last week and they are getting better signal strength with the wi-fi.* Wifi will vary depending on routers being used and the router settings.* I can tell you there is a definite improvement in wifi transfers and speed on the newer batches that I have.* I have been doing side by side comparisons with the TF101 and Prime with my RT-N13U router.* They are very close in performance now and I could not distinguish difference albeit very minor ones in transfer rates on both the units.* So this area has also been improved with our newer release Primes.* :cool:
    Let me know if you have any more questions as I can be your direct contact for communication on making your new Prime purchase a good one.
    Thanks,
    Hai Trat

NEW NEWS :cool:

Sent: Thursday, April 5, 2012 3:42 PM

Dear Gregory,

GPS dongle will be provided for free when it arrives. ETA is mid April for this and we are setting up a process for it. We will inform you once the process is complete and the dongles here.

It will look similar to the hinge from the dock. Where it will be a flush fit on the bottom of the unit if held in landscape matching the color of your Prime chassis.

For the Wfi,

I don’t have much info on Staples distribution process. I will have to see if the new ones will still be arriving at a Staples store with the sales team. I will check on this to see what information I can find out for you.

If you however do find a new batch of TF201 Primes. Please look for C3… version or higher. For instance serial number will be displayed on a label outside the box such as C3OKAS123456. These are improved on the wifi from the ones we have tested. This should be universal on all of the skus. Meaning 32GB or 64GB will have the update already since it is newer iterations of the units.

RIGHT ON:cool:
    >Hey demandarin, since you have been testing it does it affect the wifi?

DEMANDARIN

cat-picture-bag-8.jpg

No...No...Don't Ask Me Anything More! I'm Still in the Bag! You Can't Really See Me!
    If this is the big news i'm going to super disappointed
    FIX THE WIFI not the GPS.
    Fools

And here we go...

ASUS will have fixed the #1 "OHMYGOD ASUS I want what you sold me how dare you just remove GPS from the marketing give me what I paid for!!!!!" issue, and people will complain that something else wasn't done instead.

If this turns out to be true, and it seems legit, then I think ASUS will have come up with an elegant solution to a problem. They'll have demonstrated some serious good faith in resolving customer issues, and nobody--and I mean NOBODY--can continue to accuse them of all of the nefarious practices people on this forum have accused them of.

As far as wifi goes, did you read the entire message? It looks like they've made progress on recent units, and have probably identified a means to improve wifi reception. So, they're working on that, for real, as well. Again, demonstrating that they're really working hard to make customers happy, which is about all we can ask for from a company.
    On a more serious note, lets hope that this being revealed before officially being approved doesn't mess things up for us prime owners. There are very important obvious reasons this never was announced yet. The way this news was talked about to be kept under wraps, I can almost guareentee that guy Hai might get in trouble over this. They really wanted to surprise everyone with this once approved. Legal reasons involved also more than likely.

while its cool to think we know now, it can still be easily retracted as it was never official. I just hope that guy doesn't lose his job over this. or gets demoted..lol. and changes things regarding this announcement for us. This won't be taken lightly by Asus. Believe it. SMH

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE OP! lmfaooooo.

I would ask.. what have you done... your the insider who confirmed what was just a rumor. I'd say you did the real damage by getting in here ASAP and confirming it and talking it up.

Bad demandarin Bad demandarin