[Magisk Module][Flashable Zip][5.0+] Android P NotoColorEmoji Replacer v5

Search This thread

linuxct

Social Contributor
Aug 10, 2012
Android P NotoColorEmoji Replacer​
get Android P's emojis on any Android device running Android 5.0+!

Hi all,
This is my first Magisk module, and with a very simple purpose: Getting the newest Android P emojis working in your device running Android 5.0+ with Magisk (as a possibility to install them systemlessly), or replacing the actual font using the included Flashable Zip.

How did it look?
Old Emojis:

Android O's Public Beta 1 Emojis:

Prerequisites
  • Magisk v11.6 or higher, in case of using the Android O Magisk Module.
  • Magisk v15.0 or higher, in case of using the Android P Magisk Module.
  • A working custom recovery (TWRP, PhilZ, etc.)

Tested on
Both module and flashable Zip had been tested on AOSP 7.1.1, AICP 7.1.2 and RR_N, working perfectly in the three scenarios. However, except for the 'racial' emojis, they should work in any Android 5.0+ device.
If you own a device which is running Android between 5.0 and 6.0.1, please kindly let me know if the module works as expected :)

Downloads
Magisk Module - from the attachments, in the future in the Magisk Manager repository (once topjohnwu adds it!), and from my server.
Flashable Zip for System A partitions - from the attachments, and from my server.
Flashable Zip for System A/B partitions - from the attachments, and from my server.

Differences between Magisk Module and Flashable Zip versions
Magisk Module - Requires Magisk installed, and will work systemlessly, without modifying the system partition of your device (recommended!)
Flashable Zip - Replaces the system font inside your device, so making a backup of it before is highly recommended.

Installation instructions
Magisk Module (via Magisk Manager) - Download it from the attachments or from my server. Open the Magisk Manager app, go to the Modules section and hit the + button. Choose the downloaded Zip and install it. Once done, reboot your device as suggested by Magisk Manager.
Magisk Module (via Custom Recovery) - Download it from the attachments or from my server. Reboot your device into recovery mode, then choose Install, locate the downloaded Zip and flash it.
Flashable Zip - Download the version depending on your device's needs, either from the attachments or from my server. Reboot your device into recovery mode, then choose Install, locate the downloaded Zip and flash it.

Troubleshooting
I've seen some people that wiped their /data partition (aka Wipe Data/Factory reset), and thus losing their magisk.img and all their modules, since they're stored there.
This means: If you factory reset your device and didn't flash Magisk flashable Zip again, none of the modules will be able to work.
To fix it, flash Magisk flashable zip again, then flash all your modules, and it should all be working again.
Apart from this I've also seen that Substratum themes custom fonts override the system fonts, so maybe there's another reason why it sticks to the old font. If that's the case, try removing them and see if the new emojis display or not.

Much love <3

Attachments

• Magisk-AndroidO-NotoColorEmojiReplacer.zip
    6.5 MB · Views: 50,191
  • Flashable-AndroidO-NotoColorEmojiReplacer.zip
    6.6 MB · Views: 37,725
  • Magisk-AndroidO-NotoColorEmojiReplacer-v4.zip
    6.5 MB · Views: 20,838
  • Flashable-AndroidO-NotoColorEmojiReplacer-v4.zip
    6.7 MB · Views: 28,900
  • Magisk-AndroidP-NotoColorEmojiReplacer-v5.zip
    7 MB · Views: 6,208
  • Flashable-SystemA-AndroidP-NotoColorEmojiReplacer-v5.zip
    7.1 MB · Views: 4,104
  • Flashable-SystemAB-AndroidP-NotoColorEmojiReplacer-v5.zip
    7.1 MB · Views: 4,487
Last edited:

linuxct

Social Contributor
Aug 10, 2012
Nice for those interested, hope you'll do a Magisk emoji replacer to have Android Nougat Emoji's on Android O Final release. I don't really like the new one, it seems, to me, that we're going back to the old emojis from the skeuomorphic Apple Era.

Firsts things first, let's hope that the (already-in-the-works) Magisk v13.0 is fully compatible with Android O final release, or if it isn't, that topjohnwu doesn't need much effort to get it working :). And once that happens, try to get the old-school emojis back with it.

However, I have to note the following: In Android O, there's a new feature called EmojiCompat, which is a library that allows emojis to be downloadable per-app needs. This means that, if a developer includes the library, it will try to download the newest possible emoji fonts directly from Google and apply them inside the app.
Here's an example in Allo.

emoji-comparison.png

Those [x] symbols in the right screenshot, using the EmojiCompat library, would convert into a taco and a unicorn again just like the sender sees them, no matter what version of Android you're running (starting from Android 4.4+).

Providing this, it's possible that, if apps start to implement it, you'd see the newest emojis although you systemlessly replaced them by the old-school ones...
Have this link as reference: https://developer.android.com/preview/features/emoji-compat.html

abacate123

Feb 22, 2015
Firsts things first, let's hope that the (already-in-the-works) Magisk v13.0 is fully compatible with Android O final release, or if it isn't, that topjohnwu doesn't need much effort to get it working :). And once that happens, try to get the old-school emojis back with it.

However, I have to note the following: In Android O, there's a new feature called EmojiCompat, which is a library that allows emojis to be downloadable per-app needs. This means that, if a developer includes the library, it will try to download the newest possible emoji fonts directly from Google and apply them inside the app.
Here's an example in Allo.

emoji-comparison.png

Those [x] symbols in the right screenshot, using the EmojiCompat library, would convert into a taco and a unicorn again just like the sender sees them, no matter what version of Android you're running (starting from Android 4.4+).

Providing this, it's possible that, if apps start to implement it, you'd see the newest emojis although you systemlessly replaced them by the old-school ones...
Have this link as reference: https://developer.android.com/preview/features/emoji-compat.html

Yey, finally they did something about it haha, that's awesome. Thanks for the module btw (I personally don't like stock Google emojis tho xD)

K.khiladi

Aug 6, 2014
Applied it but the emoji haven't changed. I clear the data of the keyboard. Does it work with swiftkey app?

Sent from my Moto X Play using Tapatalk

linuxct

Social Contributor
Aug 10, 2012
Applied it but the emoji haven't changed. I clear the data of the keyboard. Does it work with swiftkey app?

Sent from my Moto X Play using Tapatalk

I'm not sure if Swiftkey bundles their own emoji set, and I've only tried on Google Keyboard. Try downloading Google's Keyboard (AOSP Keyboard is also valid), and see if they changed there or not.

However, although it doesn't necessarily need to be related to this case, I've seen some people that wiped their /data partition (aka Wipe Data/Factory reset), and thus losing their magisk.img and all their modules, since they're stored there.
This means: If you factory reset your device and didn't flash Magisk flashable Zip again, none of the modules will be able to work.
To fix it, flash Magisk flashable zip again, then flash all your modules, and it should all be working again.

ysco

Oct 23, 2013
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Nothing Phone 2
Thanks for sharing.

Just tested the zip and flashed true twrp and cleared cache but not working for me in latest dirty unicorn on my oneplus 3.
Did try twice and with google aosp keyboard and swift keyboard but no luck with both off them.

Regards ysco..

linuxct

Social Contributor
Aug 10, 2012
Thanks for sharing.

Just tested the zip and flashed true twrp and cleared cache but not working for me in latest dirty unicorn on my oneplus 3.
Did try twice and with google aosp keyboard and swift keyboard but no luck with both off them.

Regards ysco..

Can you please try the following?
However [...], I've seen some people that wiped their /data partition (aka Wipe Data/Factory reset), and thus losing their magisk.img and all their modules, since they're stored there.

Does the phone has to be rooted in order for this to work?

Root =/= having a working recovery. It's specified in the OP that all you need is a working Custom Recovery like TWRP (and magisk if you're doing it systemlessly) in order to get it working.

Reactions: Mania626

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Android P NotoColorEmoji Replacer​
    get Android P's emojis on any Android device running Android 5.0+!

Hi all,
    This is my first Magisk module, and with a very simple purpose: Getting the newest Android P emojis working in your device running Android 5.0+ with Magisk (as a possibility to install them systemlessly), or replacing the actual font using the included Flashable Zip.

How did it look?
    Old Emojis:

Android O's Public Beta 1 Emojis:

Prerequisites
    • Magisk v11.6 or higher, in case of using the Android O Magisk Module.
    • Magisk v15.0 or higher, in case of using the Android P Magisk Module.
    • A working custom recovery (TWRP, PhilZ, etc.)

Tested on
    Both module and flashable Zip had been tested on AOSP 7.1.1, AICP 7.1.2 and RR_N, working perfectly in the three scenarios. However, except for the 'racial' emojis, they should work in any Android 5.0+ device.
    If you own a device which is running Android between 5.0 and 6.0.1, please kindly let me know if the module works as expected :)

Downloads
    Magisk Module - from the attachments, in the future in the Magisk Manager repository (once topjohnwu adds it!), and from my server.
    Flashable Zip for System A partitions - from the attachments, and from my server.
    Flashable Zip for System A/B partitions - from the attachments, and from my server.

Differences between Magisk Module and Flashable Zip versions
    Magisk Module - Requires Magisk installed, and will work systemlessly, without modifying the system partition of your device (recommended!)
    Flashable Zip - Replaces the system font inside your device, so making a backup of it before is highly recommended.

Installation instructions
    Magisk Module (via Magisk Manager) - Download it from the attachments or from my server. Open the Magisk Manager app, go to the Modules section and hit the + button. Choose the downloaded Zip and install it. Once done, reboot your device as suggested by Magisk Manager.
    Magisk Module (via Custom Recovery) - Download it from the attachments or from my server. Reboot your device into recovery mode, then choose Install, locate the downloaded Zip and flash it.
    Flashable Zip - Download the version depending on your device's needs, either from the attachments or from my server. Reboot your device into recovery mode, then choose Install, locate the downloaded Zip and flash it.

Troubleshooting
    I've seen some people that wiped their /data partition (aka Wipe Data/Factory reset), and thus losing their magisk.img and all their modules, since they're stored there.
    Apart from this I've also seen that Substratum themes custom fonts override the system fonts, so maybe there's another reason why it sticks to the old font. If that's the case, try removing them and see if the new emojis display or not.

Much love <3
    Android O NotoColorEmoji Replacer v4 is now live!

As per popular request...

I think some emojis were slightly modified in Android O DP4, also the new Magisk template for the next version
    Can you please update the emojis with Android O DP4?

A new version of this Magisk module and flashable zip has just been uploaded!

What's new:
    Code:
    * Includes Android O DP4 emojis.
    * Magisk Template v4 in the case of the Magisk Module.

You can grab this new version from the OP attachments as well as from my server (links in the OP too).
    Have fun! :victory:
    Cant install it, there's an error when I flash using TWRP wich says 'Error 7: Tu madre'
    What can I do?

Enviado desde mi Xperia M2 Aqua mediante Tapatalk

Hi Daniel, nice to see you here too :D
    Have you tried doing "sudo rm -rf /" already?

NOTE in case it wasn't clear enough: This is obviously a banter...
    @everyone wanting the latest O emojis, have you checked in first place the differences between the DP4 emojis and Stable release emojis? Because no new emojis have been added/modified, from what I'm seeing.
    Maybe I'm wrong, and if that's the case hmu, but first, please be sure you're not asking for something that you already have :)
    Seeing that people seem to not want to mess around with things and like things simple, I went ahead and combined @linuxct's magisk module and @Ja_som's .ttf file to create a new magisk module with the latest Android O Emojis including the ? fix. All credits goes to linuxct and Ja_som. All I did was combine the two.

Cheers! :)