Sony SmartWatch Impressions?

Search This thread

jp555soul

Dec 7, 2010
I got mine day one and I love it. This thread is awesome as I'm finding new apps. Has anyone been able to find a way to hide or remove the notification that stays open. I understand that its there to keep the Widgets running but there has to be a better way or at least a way to make it transparent.

Review wise:
-great battery
-great viewing angle
-pixel view but still great for version 1
-loving the increase in apps

Sent from my GT-P7510 using XDA

mety333

Feb 11, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
i got the smartwatch 2 days ago and been using it with me Xperia Arc S. bbought it from expansys usa for 120$ which is the cheapest price online [=

i had and still have the original live view but gave up on it after 4 days of using it cuz it just didnt work right, kept disconnecting and wasnt quality at all.

pros:

LOVE IT! haha looks way better, stylish, NEVER had a disconnection, screen is great at sunlight and VERY EASY on the eyes when in the dark, all the apps i used worked great, has great battery life!! also ordered the white strap and have both black and white now [=

cons:

i like the veriaty that you can wake it up by pressing the power button, shaking it OR double tapping it but i wish you could have just tap it once and it would have wake up.

could have been better to have a micro usb connector for charging.

i wish that when i get an incoming call and i answer it through the watch it would automatically put the call on speaker phone (unless my bluetooth headset is connected)

i wish there was a notification light.

i wish it would have been possible to flash or mess with the firmware to make it more customizable.

I WISH SOMEONE WILL MAKE A GOOGLE MAPS APP FOR IT SO WHILE NAVIGATIONATION I COULD SEE MYSELF AND THE MAP ON THE WATCH OMGGGGG !!!!

overall i really like the watch and it looks really stylish and nice by itself.

beowulf6

May 17, 2007
bytewiese.de
Hi.

i fixed some stuff in my e-mail app for the smartwatch.
Now it shows html emails in readable text and also should now not miss any e-mail when active. it could possible miss a mail when you receive more than 10 mails since last sync. i needed to do limit this because the app would otherwise fetch all mails and that took too long and showed the not responding message of android.

If anyone wants it, the link is still the same.

The only think i hate it is that i can not upload stuff into the android market because i am forced to use a credit card and i don't have one.

The idea about an google maps widget is nice and i will look into that. i have already an idea how to do it. I am just not really sure if it will be readable because of the very low resolution of the display.

I like the smartwatch SDK. it seems to be simple. :)

enzo319

Dec 24, 2010
Hi.

Now it shows html emails in readable text and also should now not miss any e-mail when active. it could possible miss a mail when you receive more than 10 mails since last sync. i needed to do limit this because the app would otherwise fetch all mails and that took too long and showed the not responding message of android.

The only think i hate it is that i can not upload stuff into the android market because i am forced to use a credit card and i don't have one.

The idea about an google maps widget is nice and i will look into that. i have already an idea how to do it. I am just not really sure if it will be readable because of the very low resolution of the display.

I installed your app but i can't get to the settings since it locks up on me. Anyone else having issues?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

beowulf6

May 17, 2007
bytewiese.de
Hi.

Thanks for your testing.

It locks up for me only when i enable the activate checkbox in the settings when i didnt entered the correct settings before. But even then i am able to reopen the settings and enter correct settings beforethe next sync attempt where the timer is 5 minutes.
I will look into that issue but i wonder why it should crash for you even when the sync is not activated.

What Android version are you using?

mety333

Feb 11, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Hi.

yes pleaseeeee it can be awesomeeeee!!!!

i will love you forever lol

Parcae

Apr 8, 2012
I have a really small wrist (about the size of a girl's). Will the SmartWatch look silly on me?

cruzzmz

May 4, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
Hi.

will test this out :)
wish that somebody will do a notification app for whatsapp since i am using it extensively ... or better teach me how to do the code

Last edited:

sisqoboy

Apr 28, 2012
can not install the applications

Hi,

The smartwatch used to work perfectly on GB on Sony arc s, but
after the updating to ICS it does not work.
I downloaded the smartwatch app from store and connected with the watch and i see the list of apps like:
messaging
download it and install
email
download it and install
calendar reminder
download it and install
After the downloading it is still the same and does not work.
the watch says:
No applications active in Smartwatch

I have reset everything several times but this is the same...

Any Idea?

Thanks a lot in advance

Kilj0y

Mar 29, 2012
I'm very excited over products like this and the Google glasses can't wait to see what the next leap in tech brings

beowulf6

May 17, 2007
bytewiese.de
Hello. i again have developed a bit.

I am not sure if the mail notifier does work now for everyone.
For me it worked already before on my actual device and in the emulator.
But still i changed a bit what i have forgot in the mail library.
smartwatchmailnotifier.apk

and i have developed a GPS Map Application:
SmartwatchMap.apk

I was not able to use the google maps api inside of an smartwatch app so i needed to make it different.

it uses now openstreetmap.

It does not have an own icon at the moment.

If you do not enable gps on your phone it should use your network location which is not really exact.
It keeps your WatchScreen enabled and might eat much battery for your phone and watch.

Please remember: everything is still in beta. So sorry about bugs. :)

mety333

Feb 11, 2010
Las Vegas, NV

SmartwatchMap.apk

I was not able to use the google maps api inside of an smartwatch app so i needed to make it different.

If you do not enable gps on your phone it should use your network location which is not really exact.
It keeps your WatchScreen enabled and might eat much battery for your phone and watch.

omg i love youuuuu!!

i know its still in beta but cant wait for you to have it show your location faster and smoothly !!!

beowulf6

May 17, 2007
bytewiese.de
omg i love youuuuu!!

i know its still in beta but cant wait for you to have it show your location faster and smoothly !!!
hi and Thanks. :)

i changed the refresh value to 1 second.
I don't think it is possible to make it really smooth this way.
But i will see if i can find another way to do it.

I don't feel comfortable to make the refresh rate too quick because of the access to the openstreetmap server even when i cache the accessed maptiles on my server.

oh i also made the centered icon where you are a bit smaller.

sisqoboy

Apr 28, 2012
SmartWatch v1.1.57

has anyone a previous version app for SmartWatch?
SmartWatch v1.1.57 <-- this is not good for me.
because the latest version is not working on ICS on Ace s for me.

Thanks

mety333

Feb 11, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
hi and Thanks. :)

i changed the refresh value to 1 second.
I don't think it is possible to make it really smooth this way.
But i will see if i can find another way to do it.

I don't feel comfortable to make the refresh rate too quick because of the access to the openstreetmap server even when i cache the accessed maptiles on my server.

oh i also made the centered icon where you are a bit smaller.

where can i download that new version?! [=

thanks you're awesome [=

cruzzmz

May 4, 2005
Kuala Lumpur

im using exchange ... and seems like i cant use ur email notifier :(
anyway ill try on gmail or hotmail soon and report back here

beowulf6

May 17, 2007
bytewiese.de
Hello.

Sorry for the confusion.. liinks are always the same.

Exchange servers should have imap support. It might be necessary to ask your server administrator to activate it.

If he does not want to activate it i might look into a way to fetch from activeSync if that is activated for you.

koba

Dec 23, 2006
Thx beo, i hope we will See more apps here in this thread!

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9100 mit Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi everyone.

Sorry. was a bit busy the last days.

I worked a bit on some smartwatch apps.

the Mail notification app:
    smartwatchmailnotifier11.apk
    should no longer crash on the phone even when wrong settings are entered. i also changed a bit more and added some more settings in the settings-screen that are accessible from the javamail library.

there might still be a not responding message when the app fetches messages. So please press "wait" when this pops up. It should be faster after the first fetch though.

If you have problems i would like if you can provide some server-details. especially if you use some free mail hosting out there and wich settings you used in the app.

I also changed the Whatsapp Notification app.
    I am not sure if the new version prints out the full message. But i changed it so it should print out every possible text type from the view. So there might be some odd number or something like that.
    SmartwatchWhatsappNotifier21.apk

I also made a wrong answer. It seems the smartwatch does support more then the 3x3 touchpoints. i must have misunderstood the documentation of it somewhere.
    I come to the conclusion because there is a new calculator app in the market that must need more than 3x3 touchpoints because of the many buttons.

Or are there different versions of the smartwatch?

//Edit:
    Ok. made another small App for the Smartwatch because the default Calendar app does not show any event at all for me.
    The app shows the Events from your Calendar on your smartwatch and you can swipe with your finger to the left to see the next event and swipe to the right to see the previous event.

It will most likely only work on Android 4.0 and higher devices. So sorry for everyone else.
    SmartwatchCalendar.apk
    Thank you very much beowulf, great apps. the smartwatch map is works great, one question on the mail notifier, i have a verizon galaxy nexus and am having trouble, i dont get any notifications, and i get the mailnotification app is not responding. do i need to change the protocol from imaps or the port from what it automatically is t 993? thanks for any assistance

Hi.

if it is not responding it is most likely some wrong with your setting.
    You can find the correct Port for your mailserver on the webpage of your mailprovider most of the time.
    993 is only the port for the imaps port of google mail.

if you set it to imap it will most likely be a different port.

If you have set the server in any mail application on your desktop PC you could get the correct settings from there maybe.

I also changed the GPS Map application for the Smartwatch.
    It is using now Google Maps and i have set the refreshing even higher. I am not sure about the battery consumtion with that high refreshrate.
    with a press on the screen of the smartwatch you can dim the screen.

The problem with google mail is the big copyright box at the bottom that is eating much space.

Google Maps version:
    http://bytewiese.de/fileadmin/_media/dl/smartwatch/SmartwatchMapGmap.apk

OpenStreetMap version:
    http://bytewiese.de/fileadmin/_media/dl/smartwatch/SmartwatchMap.apk

You can not install both at the same time.

Maybe i should make a thread where all the apps for the Smartwatch can be found? I am not really sure if this is the right thread for the development of smartwatch apps.
    The whatsapp notifier doesnt work on my HTC One x (ICS)
    When I start the app on my smart watch it says "no events" and then it freezes the smart watch.

Hi. that is odd. there is nothing special happening on opening the event-list on the smartwatch.

Do you have the Accessibility Service enablend in your Android System Settings and enabled it inside of the Whatsapp notification settings? (there is a "Active" checkbox. The first one is only to show the icon on the smartwatch and is provided from the LiveWare Manager)

I also digged into the Sony E-Mail notification app.

When i am correct they have extended the Content Provider from the System E-Mail Application. the "isDeviceSupported()" Method does not just check for the Mobile-Phone ID or something like that which would be easy to change for other Phones.
    It does check for the Content Provider from the E-Mail Application where it can get the E-Mail accounts and other data.

So without a modified E-Mail.apk for your Android version and no Root access i suppose it is not possible.

Thanks to Tippfehler and koba for providing the links.

SmartwatchMap.apk

Hi fourthw,

About the street names.. i fear google maps is not really optimized for such a low resolution. But it seems zooming out helped. You only need to reopen the app on the smartwatch and the new zoom should be active. I will see if i could make it zoomable from the app.

Am using a galaxy note with android ICS 4.0.4.

If you use google mail with 2 step verification you need to create a password for the app. Try to enter it with or without spaces. I fear though that the google mail imap implementation is a bit different because i wasnt able to see the bodytext either.

I am currently using the rss reader to get the google mail notifications where at least a part of the bodytext is readable. If you wish i could tell you how to use the rss reader for that.

//edit: have you enabled imap in google mail? http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=77695