[Q] Clarification on recovery

Search This thread

rbanavara

Mar 21, 2014
I was going through the thread , [15.11.2012][ICS]PhilZ Touch 3.00 - CWM Based Recovery 6.0.1.5 (Temporary flash) by Phil3759. It talks about flashing a temporary on a stock recovery. I have few queries about this (This is about the concept rather the actual method itself, so though its for S2, posting here)

1. If I understand correctly, stock samsung recovery (3e) looks for signed zips (signed by samsung). So either this is writen for older recovery (2e) which may have allowed unsigned zips OR stock recovery refers to something else (thats not from samsung)

2. If my understanding is correct, there is a separate recovery partition which holds its own recovery kernel separate from the normal boot kernel. In this background, what does flashing insecure kernel means? does this procedure replace the main android kernel? does this insecure kernel also act as recovery kernel when booted in recovery?

3. is there anyway to backup recovery partition (as far as I can think of, this may not be possible. As I have not seen any way to root SGR without installing custom recovery first. and through heimdall, I dont think a dump can be taken of partitions)

Adam77Root

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 3, 2012
That thread is old and doesn't apply to the R in any way.

1) Almost no OEM stock recoveries allow flashing custom signed zips, only those signed by the specific OEM. Sometimes it does work though, if they don't set it up correctly. This is why we could root on JB on the O4X, it allows zips signed with test keys to be flashed.
2) Insecure kernel means you flash a rooted / ADB-enabled kernel on the main boot partition. Yes, it replaces the main kernel. No, it doesn't act, recovery has a totally different kernel. Flashing insecure kernel should only be done from custom recovery, doing so from Odin / Heimdall triggers yellow triangle.
3) It's possible from ADB even if you aren't rooted. You can dump with Heimdall too, Google gives a lot of results.

Reactions: D™ and Nikhil

rbanavara

Mar 21, 2014
Thank you Adam77Root

Thank you Adam77Root, that cleared my doubts regarding the recovery.

What I was referring to was like the dump of the partition with dd (or probably tar). On linux, normally if you are not root, you wont have disk access (or unless you are part of disk group). Isn't it the same with android kernel as well?

I have found some info about backup of partiton through heimdall / odin. I am going through that. Will update later on that
( androidforums dot com/exhibit-4g-all-things-root/733167-how-tool-rom-sgh-t759-create-odin-heimdall-backups.html
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1372455
)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    That thread is old and doesn't apply to the R in any way.

1) Almost no OEM stock recoveries allow flashing custom signed zips, only those signed by the specific OEM. Sometimes it does work though, if they don't set it up correctly. This is why we could root on JB on the O4X, it allows zips signed with test keys to be flashed.
    2) Insecure kernel means you flash a rooted / ADB-enabled kernel on the main boot partition. Yes, it replaces the main kernel. No, it doesn't act, recovery has a totally different kernel. Flashing insecure kernel should only be done from custom recovery, doing so from Odin / Heimdall triggers yellow triangle.
    3) It's possible from ADB even if you aren't rooted. You can dump with Heimdall too, Google gives a lot of results.