[HOW TO] Transfer your CoPilot from WinMo -> Android

Search This thread

jonboyuk

May 24, 2007
South West UK
***Update 3*** 09th August 2011
ALK have restored the CP8 download. Link here - thanks to Antus.

***Update 2*** 06th June 2011
It would seem with the introduction of CoPilot 9, a number of changes have occurred to their web site. As such, the old free APK update for CP8 has been removed from their system and can no longer be downloaded. It's still legit to own as it requires activation, so if someone could host the file contact me and I'll add the link, otherwise, this thread is effectively invalid. Sadly I no longer have the APK in question, because I just invested in CP9.

***Update*** 15th August 2010
This isn't specifically for the HD2. In fact this works for any device! WinMo -> Android OR Android -> WinMo.

Since those geniuses Coutlla/Dan fixed GPS for the HD2 Android, I thought for those of you who have purchased Co-Pilot and wish to transfer it over to Android, I'd make a small guide.

Requirements:

- A *LEGAL* copy of CoPilot 8 for Windows Mobile and the license key
- The latest version of CoPilot 8 for Android (works in Froyo now): LINK RESTORED

I bought it about 8 months ago for my HD2, for Windows Mobile 6.5. Great piece of software. I contacted ALK to ask if I could transfer between OS's and they said no, it wouldn't work! It also clearly states on their web site that transfers don't work: LINK RESTORED

So being stubborn, I thought I'd take my own license from WinMo and deactivate it, stick it into Android and needless to say - it works and I have a fully legal copy of CoPilot 8 running on my Android Froyo device. Those cheeky beggers at ALK!!!

So how to get it working:

• Make sure you still have CoPilot installed under Windows Mobile and activated;
  • Launch CoPilot. Go to the Menu|Settings|Licensing (NOTE: If you can't see this, find "More Settings" and select that first to show Licensing);
  • Select your Map Region from the list (Mine was UK and Ireland), then press "Deactivate";
  • CoPilot will now shut down;
  • Boot into Android and using an installer, install the APK file which is in the requirements section at the top of the page or here (LINK RESTORED);
  • Open CoPilot from the Menu and it will ask for your license info. Enter this as you did when you first bought CoPilot (usually a username and password);
  • Bada Bing. That should be it, all working!

Just to clarify one further time, this is only for legally purchased licenses. No questions about dodgy software please. Thank you.

Last edited:

noellenchris

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Moderator
May 11, 2007
Marlton, NJ
Thanks, thought that would work, and now I know it will! I'll be setting it up as well.

That was the only reason I would need to go back to WM. I use CP8 all the time!

Hero!:D

jonboyuk

May 24, 2007
South West UK
Thanks, thought that would work, and now I know it will! I'll be setting it up as well.

That was the only reason I would need to go back to WM. I use CP8 all the time!

Hero!:D

Haha, my motivation for switching was the same. It's better in Android IMO. For example you use the Android keyboard so it's qwerty and accepts voice input. It also has controllable volume over bluetooth :D For me I always listen to Music via bluetooth and in WinMo there was no control over individual volumes. If I had the volume at a normal level for music, the speech was far too loud. Now it's all controllable :D

noellenchris

May 11, 2007
Marlton, NJ
Haha, my motivation for switching was the same. It's better in Android IMO. For example you use the Android keyboard so it's qwerty and accepts voice input. It also has controllable volume over bluetooth :D For me I always listen to Music via bluetooth and in WinMo there was no control over individual volumes. If I had the volume at a normal level for music, the speech was far too loud. Now it's all controllable :D

Man I hated that Copilot non qwerty! Wow, speech too! Neat, just need to download the cp8 app for android now...

mic_888

Retired News Writer
Sep 8, 2007
London
@OP (and everyone else)

Would anyone mind if I wrote this up on the front page, as it's great news. Anyone foresee any issues if this becomes 'publicised'? If so, I will hold off.

noellenchris

May 11, 2007
Marlton, NJ
@OP (and everyone else)

Would anyone mind if I wrote this up on the front page, as it's great news. Anyone foresee any issues if this becomes 'publicised'? If so, I will hold off.

My only concern would be that Copilot ALK may not want us to transfer. But I do think that other HD2 owners or anyone coming from WM should be, and would be, happy to transfer/use CP8 that they paid for on Android.

So I guess ...go for it. I'm switching ASAP just in case...hehe.

mic_888

Retired News Writer
Sep 8, 2007
London
Ok, cool thanks. Just thought I'd quickly check - I had the same thoughts as you (noellenchris). I've written up a short article on this, so it should get published sometime tonight/tomorrow (GMT).

If there any strong objections let me know :)

busterdan

Jan 12, 2010
All working, the only thing I should have done was deactivate Premium Live Services first in WM.... before the UK/IRELAND maps.... not really a big problem as the live services are a waste of time anyway.

To be honest, comparing Copilot to the free Google Navigation app I think Copilot will be dead and buried within a year.

chrisnash

Jun 21, 2006
London
deactivation in android?

Since those geniuses Coutlla/Dan fixed GPS for the HD2 Android, I thought for those of you who have purchased Co-Pilot and wish to transfer it over to Android, I'd make a small guide.

Requirements:

- The latest version of CoPilot 8 for Android (works in Froyo now) Link to ALK Web Site

I bought it about 8 months ago for my HD2, for Windows Mobile 6.5. Great piece of software. I contacted ALK to ask if I could transfer between OS's and they said no, it wouldn't work! It also clearly states on their web site that transfers don't work:
Link

So being stubborn, I thought I'd take my own license from WinMo and deactivate it, stick it into Android and needless to say - it works and I have a fully legal copy of CoPilot 8 running on my Android Froyo device. Those cheeky beggers at ALK!!!

• Make sure you still have CoPilot installed under Windows Mobile and activated;
  • Launch CoPilot. Go to the Menu|Settings|Licensing (NOTE: If you can't see this, find "More Settings" and select that first to show Licensing);
  • Select your Map Region from the list (Mine was UK and Ireland), then press "Deactivate";
  • Boot into Android and using an installer, install the APK file which is in the requirements section at the top of the page or here;
  • Open CoPilot from the Menu and it will ask for your license info. Enter this as you did when you first bought CoPilot (usually a username and password);

Just to clarify one further time, this is only for legally purchased licenses. No questions about dodgy software please. Thank you.

I have done this before to transfer between winmo devices and it works a treat. Do you know if you can do the reverse of this and deactivate it in Android and then reactivate it back in winmo? Be useful to know before I get locked in to android.

jonboyuk

May 24, 2007
South West UK
Ok, cool thanks. Just thought I'd quickly check - I had the same thoughts as you (noellenchris). I've written up a short article on this, so it should get published sometime tonight/tomorrow (GMT).

If there any strong objections let me know :)

Quite frankly - I'm flattered, and yes of course you can post it.

Last edited:

jonboyuk

May 24, 2007
South West UK
I have done this before to transfer between winmo devices and it works a treat. Do you know if you can do the reverse of this and deactivate it in Android and then reactivate it back in winmo? Be useful to know before I get locked in to android.

Yes it is 100% reversible. ALK can't be bothered with all the enquires I think and I truly believe it's a good way for them to make a quick extra money! As a user who paid for it once, I refuse to pay again. Take Photoshop for example, if you buy it for a mac, you can use the same license on a PC and vice versa.

Enjoy!

Paradasos

Nov 2, 2005
Anyone know if it will be possible to deactivate my WM version when I don't own my old windows phone any more?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ***Update 3*** 09th August 2011
    ALK have restored the CP8 download. Link here - thanks to Antus.

***Update 2*** 06th June 2011
    It would seem with the introduction of CoPilot 9, a number of changes have occurred to their web site. As such, the old free APK update for CP8 has been removed from their system and can no longer be downloaded. It's still legit to own as it requires activation, so if someone could host the file contact me and I'll add the link, otherwise, this thread is effectively invalid. Sadly I no longer have the APK in question, because I just invested in CP9.

***Update*** 15th August 2010
    This isn't specifically for the HD2. In fact this works for any device! WinMo -> Android OR Android -> WinMo.

Requirements:

- The latest version of CoPilot 8 for Android (works in Froyo now): LINK RESTORED

I bought it about 8 months ago for my HD2, for Windows Mobile 6.5. Great piece of software. I contacted ALK to ask if I could transfer between OS's and they said no, it wouldn't work! It also clearly states on their web site that transfers don't work: LINK RESTORED

• Boot into Android and using an installer, install the APK file which is in the requirements section at the top of the page or here (LINK RESTORED);

Thanks for this guide. I wonder if someone can help me with my situation.

I bought CP8 for WM and neglected to deactivate it before flashing Android on my HD2. The customer service department at ALK is telling me it's not permissible to transfer licenses from one platform to another.

I did manage to back up the contents of my flash card. Is it possible to just transfer a license file from one location to another? Otherwise, how would you recommend I pick up and get CP8 from WM to Android?

Thanks!

Just simply say that you need your license deactivating as you've had to reinstall your windows phone. Simples. You can still then reactivate it in android after, they are none-the-wiser!!
    EDIT:

So U dont need to boot your WinMob Device.. just Activate or Deactivate your Copilot Online

Activate: http://activate.alk.com/ALKLicense/web/ALKActivation.aspx

Deactivate: http://activate.alk.com/ALKLicense/web/ALKDeactivation.aspx

(u can add it in head post)
    Sorry all, see page 1 - update 2.
    I noticed when i went for the old download URL i was redirected, so i had a poke around the new site thinking it might still be there, and turned it up.

The forum is making it real hard to post even an obfucated link (my post count isnt high enough) but go to copilotlive dot com slash androidinstall/default_en.asp