[ROM][CM9] Temporary Stock FF18 from emmc

Search This thread

calisro

Sep 9, 2008
noneya
Ok... This finally worked for me but you MUST use CWM 6.* rather than CMW 5.*. If you are on CM9 use its own default recovery and it will work just fine.

rocket321

Jan 29, 2009
Really? I just tried it and it worked perfectly fine. Hmmm.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Just tried on Beta1 with FF18 - not working here either - never reboots. Tried it multiple times including re-loading beta1 first and rebooting recovery.

I think I might have had the files in /sdcard/multiboot/multiboot - so I can't say for sure it wasn't user error in my case.

Last edited:

Mattix724

Sep 26, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
OnePlus 8
I also could not get it to boot with the beta.

What I did to try booting.

Currently running CM10
Mobile Odin to the CWM5 EL29 direct boot
Flashed CM9 beta 1
Flashed FF18.zip from the multiboot folder
Install from sdcard was complete
Did not reboot into temp FF18.

Sent from my CM10 SPH-D710 using xda premium

xda-todd

Mar 28, 2011
Failure now with both EL29 and FF18

wait for chris to fix kexec or use el29 temp rom instead for now.

Strange thing. I'm on beta 1 and am unable to use either version of multiboot (el29 or ff18), whereas before I could.

With EL29, I get an error as follows:

-- Installing: /sdcard/multiboot/EL29/boot_EL29.zip
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Installing update...
E:Error in /sdcard/multiboot/EL29/boot_EL29.zip (Status 0)
Installation aborted.​

With FF18, it seems to install fine but never reboots. Same problem that others are reporting.

Note that I've used the EL29 method many times in the past with no problems. I tried recopying the multiboot folder from the TAR again just in case it had gotten corrupted, but no success.

After attempting either version, the phone reboots into beta 1 without any problem.

calisro

Sep 9, 2008
noneya
Strange thing. I'm on beta 1 and am unable to use either version of multiboot (el29 or ff18), whereas before I could.

With EL29, I get an error as follows:

-- Installing: /sdcard/multiboot/EL29/boot_EL29.zip
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Installing update...
E:Error in /sdcard/multiboot/EL29/boot_EL29.zip (Status 0)
Installation aborted.​

With FF18, it seems to install fine but never reboots. Same problem that others are reporting.

Note that I've used the EL29 method many times in the past with no problems. I tried recopying the multiboot folder from the TAR again just in case it had gotten corrupted, but no success.

After attempting either version, the phone reboots into beta 1 without any problem.

are you using mobile odin (or pc odin) to flash the directbootcwm then rebooting into the flashed cwm before trying to 'boot_EL29.zip'?

slick_rick

Sep 18, 2011
Immokalee/Tampa FL
If you want to use this temp boot, flash the directbootCWM and then flash the tempff18 rom. Once done with temp rom, reboot back to recovery and just re flash CM9 rom. Do this for now til chris41g can make a quick stand alone kexec kernel.

calisro

Sep 9, 2008
noneya
If you want to use this temp boot, flash the directbootCWM and then flash the tempff18 rom. Once done with temp rom, reboot back to recovery and just re flash CM9 rom. Do this for now til chris41g can make a quick stand alone kexec kernel.

I do not believe the directbootCWM will boot ff18 at all. Users will need to use directbootCWM and EL29 until kexec kernel is addressed.

Just fyi, I booted into el29 temp yesterday and had to flash one of Chris's kernels and reboot recovery before i could flash back to cm. So you may want to make sure you have a kernel you're able to flash before trying el29 again just in case you get the same status seven error from the cm flash.

I believe this was caused by cwm trying to verify device name.

Last edited:

groovedexter

Dec 23, 2010
www.groovypost.com
I might be doing something wrong, but from what I can tell this doesn't work with CM9 B1 following the directions in the blog post. http://e4gtcm.blogspot.com/2012/08/temporary-stock-ff18-from-emmc.html

In CWM it just gives "install from sdcard complete" when trying to flash multiboot > FF18 > boot_FF18.zip.
I then used ODIN to flash back to CWM Directboot and it gave the same "install from sdcard complete."

I downloaded the EL29 temporary stock rom and it worked well, but I'm having issues with it updating the PRL in CDMA DFS, going to try QPST and see how it goes.

Edit: Tried a new PRL file and it worked wonders in DFS.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Epic Touch Blog: Temporary Stock FF18 from emmc

Utility for CM9 Epic Touch
    This is a temporary ROM that boots Samsung's Ice Cream Sandwich FF18 firmware entirely from emmc without making any changes to the ROM currently installed on your phone. When you reboot, you return to recovery where you can re-flash the ROM to return to CM9. This temporary ROM is useful for several purposes.
    • Update Profile
    • Update PRL
    • Sprint Activation
    • Dial codes and diagnostic mode
    QBKing77's video is on the EL29 temp boot but instructions should be almost exactly the same except just use the included kernel/recovery that comes with the CM9 rom instead of the directbootCWM kernel!

Thanks to nubecoder, chris41g, noobnl and mkasick for making this possible!
    thanks for the reply! though if i decide to go to AOSP, how would i restore my nandriod backup so that i can update PRL/Profile, dont i need to be on the same TW kernal (agat) that i backed up with? And you cant be on AOSP with a TW kernel...

Use Garwynn's v0.4.1 kernel to make the Backup it uses the same recovery as AOSP, that's how I always did it, haven't been on AOSP in a little bit.

BILGERRYAN-SIG_zps5b0983a1.png
    Nice. I use the old version all the time.
    I've tried this twice today, downloaded all files, checked md5's, unzipped folder, copied files and folder to Internal sdcard, followed Qbking77's video to the "T" and just getting a reboot to CMR 5.0.2.7, never to the temp ROM.
    I'm currently on AOSP JellyBean, was just trying to get GPS fixed; came from BlueKuban.
    Gotta run out, will re-do the whole thing tonight, again.... Third time is a charm?

AFAIK, sbrissen's kernel doesn't have kexec support.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app
    What if I am on a Jellybean AOSP rom (dirty unicorn) with an FL24 modem. and i wanted to use this to update prl/profile? would this work? I would think the prl update would brick it because I am on FL24 modem while on stock el29, would it?

Probably not a good idea, you should keep a nandroid of TouchWiz on your sd.

BILGERRYAN-SIG_zps5b0983a1.png