MOTO X has a worse camera than ONE S

Search This thread

ChrisAG

Dec 26, 2010
Since most of us chose the ONE S for the good performance in a smaller form factor, I figured the Moto X would be a natural upgrade from the ONE S (rather than the ONE Mini, which is not much of an upgrade, with its 4.3" screen and 1GB RAM). I was right - the Moto X is great for one-handed operation and is superior in every way except one: the camera.

Even with the negative press about the camera, this is surprising, because you expect technology to march on. What I didn't expect was how much better the HTC camera in the "obsolete" ONE S is versus Motorola's.

This is mostly evident in low-light shooting, such as indoors. The HTC is much better at capturing detail, and usually exposes correctly. The Motorola introduces washed-out colours and grain, even after the so-called "update" that was supposed to fix these issues.

The pluses of the Moto X are many: better reception and call quality, better loudspeaker, LTE, bigger screen with 720p, nicer curved design that sits naturally in your hand, and updated software (though if you flash a ROM the last one doesn't matter).

Not that the ONE S is bad in any of these areas (it's not), but Motorola is known for its radios and call quality, and they continue that tradition.

The ONE S is still a great phone and I was planning on keeping it for another few months at least, but there was a recent price drop for the Moto X. Because I use my phone for emails and browsing first, as a phone second, and as a camera a distant third, this is still an upgrade for me. I am disappointed that Motorola/Google dropped the ball with the camera though.

If you use the camera often, keep the ONE S!

Last edited:

danielugolini

Apr 3, 2014
Roma
Since most of us chose the ONE S for the good performance in a smaller form factor, I figured the Moto X would be a natural upgrade from the ONE S (rather than the ONE Mini, which is not much of an upgrade, with its 4.3" screen and 1GB RAM). I was right - the Moto X is great for one-handed operation and is superior in every way except one: the camera.

Even with the negative press about the camera, this is surprising, because you expect technology to march on. What I didn't expect was how much better the HTC camera in the "obsolete" ONE S is versus Motorola's.

This is mostly evident in low-light shooting, such as indoors. The HTC is much better at capturing detail, and usually exposes correctly. The Motorola introduces washed-out colours and grain, even after the so-called "update" that was supposed to fix these issues.

The pluses of the Moto X are many: better reception and call quality, better loudspeaker, LTE, bigger screen with 720p, nicer curved design that sits naturally in your hand, and updated software (though if you flash a ROM the last one doesn't matter).

Not that the ONE S is bad in any of these areas (it's not), but Motorola is known for its radios and call quality, and they continue that tradition.

The ONE S is still a great phone and I was planning on keeping it for another few months at least, but there was a recent price drop for the Moto X. Because I use my phone for emails and browsing first, as a phone second, and as a camera a distant third, this is still an upgrade for me. I am disappointed that Motorola/Google dropped the ball with the camera though.

If you use the camera often, keep the ONE S!

One S rulez !:p:p

TheEndHK

Apr 25, 2011
If you spend time to read reviews before you buy, you'll know the camera on Moto X isn't that great. Most folks on Earth tend to think HTC camera bad which is very wrong, HTC camera isn't perfect but always give you surprised result.

One S camera is equipped with 8M 1/3.2" BSI, f/2.0, 28mm and most importantly an imagechip. The spec. is still at top-tier after two years from now, don't think Moto X could beat it easy. I want to upgrade my phone but most mid-end phone nowadays their camera is still behind One S but flagship model is just too expensive to me which made me continue to stick with One S, might be one more year til 2015. Very bad.

I'll look for M8 mini and Galaxy S5 mini later.

Last edited:

ChrisAG

Dec 26, 2010
If you spend time to read reviews before you buy, you'll know the camera on Moto X isn't that great.

I did read the reviews, but thought the bar had been raised across the board since 18 months separates the release of the phones. This may be true for some manufacturers, but not others. Plus, a recent software update claimed to improve the camera, but evidently not enough. Hopefully a further update will improve things, but I'm not holding my breath.

TheEndHK

Apr 25, 2011
I did read the reviews, but thought the bar had been raised across the board since 18 months separates the release of the phones. This may be true for some manufacturers, but not others. Plus, a recent software update claimed to improve the camera, but evidently not enough. Hopefully a further update will improve things, but I'm not holding my breath.

The main problem on Moto X is no dedicated ISP(imagechip) and it can't be improved simply though some software updates. The ISP performance inside Qualcomm CPU is always very poor.