[ROM] Stock 1.4.0 & 1.4.2 + Root + Mods - GO Launcher [Yes/No B&N|Rebloat Pack]

Search This thread

sageki

Sep 28, 2008
Jacksonville
I would start off by saying thatnks but I hit te buton so many times I think it is covered...smile.

Ok, I have downloaded the 1.4.2 version and am getting ready to install. First silly question, does I need to "Root" first or will your zip include that. i acutally read the thread and saw the evolution but am now a bi confused.

I will hold all other silly questions until I get this up and running.

Thanks for all your work on this Veronica...ok I said it anyway.:p

Jason

You do not need to be rooted to apply this rom but you must have CWM (clockworkmod) and to get that go here

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1446987

and make a SD card and boot into CWM and then you can take that SD card out and put Veronica's zip file on it and put it back into the NT and install from zip

zeropants

Jan 16, 2007
Bloomington, IL
You do not need to be rooted to apply this rom but you must have CWM (clockworkmod) and to get that go here

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1446987

and make a SD card and boot into CWM and then you can take that SD card out and put Veronica's zip file on it and put it back into the NT and install from zip

So, then when this rom is applied, does it create root status within the OS - or is it simply the stock OS with unauthorized enhancements?

ZipLipZ

Jan 11, 2010
Hi Veronica. Can you pls repost your 1.4 link?

Sent from my BNTV250A using XDA

Last edited:

raywaldo

Jul 8, 2007
Southeast Louisiana
raywaldo.com
I guess I need some clarification...I have a 16GB model, and installed the 1.4.0 modified version a couple of weeks ago. It works great...softbuttons modded, ribbon mod, home button does what it should (takes you to the home screen)...looks and works like an unbranded android tablet. I now see that the download link is for a 1.4.2 modified stock ROM. Am I to understand that this ROM functions the same as my current setup AND that it works on either the 8GB or 16GB devices? If so...I will likely be picking up another 8GB device...they are on sale right now for $150.

Yes.. It does work on the NT8. Personally, I prefer CM7 (it runs great visit sdcard) so I have not done any real testing of this rom/mod. Check out my youtube channel for nook. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YMJYkESKtA&feature=plcp

Sent from my Nook Tablet using XDA

Reactions: xdajunkman

xdajunkman

Nov 11, 2007
Sorry if this post really isn't adding anything...but I spent some time finding these resources last night so thought I consolidate things into a single post.

I received my new NT 8GB yesterday, and wanted to get it working like my current NT 16GB that is happily running Veronica's B&N debloated 1.4.0 modified stock ROM. As I have expressed, I think that her modified stock ROM is currently the best one out there...CM7 and CM9 still need some work. As some previous posts indicate, her new version of the modified 1.4.2 stock ROM does not have the same funcitonality - namely that the ICS-modified softbuttons have been removed and the hardware home button no longer takes you home...it opens the B&N home interface. This was intentional on her part as she wanted to keep stock functionality. I don't want the stock functionality, so was looking for a way to make the stock functions invisible. I also had trouble getting the bootable CWM recovery SD card that was linked previously in this thread to work. I have found the solution to these problems, mostly through other posts here, and now have my new NT8 working just like the NT16.

The CWM recovery card that finally worked for me was the image made by Veronica in this thread:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1640958

Once her 1.4.2 modified stock ROM is installed, you need to replace /system/app/SystemUI.apk with the file that can be found here (thanks to rwischer for finding this):
http://xdaforums.com/show...1425581&page=3
post #21

Using the NT hidden settings that the OP includes with the ROM, you can block OTA updates and you can not register your device following the instructions and linked video in the OP. Some people have had trouble enabling the installation of non-Market apps with this ROM. Again, using the NT Hidden Settings app, I got this to work. I did have to enable it a few times before it seems to have 'stuck', but now is working fine. The device still has the B&N content installed for anyone who wants that, but it is invisible to those who do not.

Now everyone 'Thanks' the OP.

Last edited:
Reactions: tmjohnsonfse

Bandage

Nov 3, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Loving the enhancements, truly opens things up for us over plain old stock! Thanks for your hard work!!

I would like to request an alternate download for those of us wishing to have the ICS soft buttons as in earlier versions please! Very handy!!

---------- Post added at 12:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 PM ----------

Once her 1.4.2 modified stock ROM is installed, you need to replace /system/app/SystemUI.apk with the file that can be found here (thanks to rwischer for finding this):
http://xdaforums.com/show...1425581&page=3
post #21

Link not working

raywaldo

Jul 8, 2007
Southeast Louisiana
raywaldo.com
ICS soft buttons

Try this one: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=21149748&postcount=21

Actually, this post appears to be a newer version: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=21889327&postcount=61
It is a flashable zip file. Use CWM to flash it (like GApps, or a ROM, etc).

Note to everyone. If you want to link to a specific post on these forums, just right-click on the post number (in the upper right corner), then copy the link address and paste it into your post.

Last edited:

jae04cc

Jan 25, 2011
Tampa
First off..thanks for creating this!!!..great rom, and running great on my nt8..only problem i have is that alot of apps seem to be incompatable in the market..I realize that I can side load them..but I was wondering if there was a way to change how the market sees the device since its kind of a pain to keep sideloading updates and whatnot..if not small price to pay for having my nook running the way I want...thanks again!

LMN8R

May 9, 2012
First off..thanks for creating this!!!..great rom, and running great on my nt8..only problem i have is that alot of apps seem to be incompatable in the market..I realize that I can side load them..but I was wondering if there was a way to change how the market sees the device since its kind of a pain to keep sideloading updates and whatnot..if not small price to pay for having my nook running the way I want...thanks again!

Here's a post by HMG10 (props) I used to make my NT a "Nexus S" :D http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=20422014&postcount=1; hope this helps.

Reactions: jae04cc

raywaldo

Jul 8, 2007
Southeast Louisiana
raywaldo.com
apps not compatible

There is a procedure that works WITHOUT changing the device name (thanks to James_Lan) found here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=26806925&postcount=7
I am not certain that it works for the Ribbon Root, it was tested on CM9 (ICS) but I suspect it will work on any version.:cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: jae04cc

jae04cc

Jan 25, 2011
Tampa
Here's a post by HMG10 (props) I used to make my NT a "Nexus S" :D http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=20422014&postcount=1; hope this helps.

you only changed those four lines?..mines still not working..at least i dont think so, although i got an email from google thanking me for getting a nexus s lol..i still am having issues..like i cant install google+

EDIT: sorry about this, after reading all the way through those threads, it appears that its mostly affecting games that cant normally be seen or played, like order and chaos or modern combat and letting you see and play them...apps like facebook and google+ are still not able to be dled or used, so its off to the tb-dropbox shuffle....thanks for the links tho!!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [ROM] Stock 1.4.0 & 1.4.2 + Root + Mods - GO Launcher [Yes/No B&N|Rebloat Pack]

Alright today i bring to you a faster way to have a fully functional stock ROM with all the addons and eye candy look ;) I have added a FULL version containing all B&N stock apps minus Keyboard and Mymedia (because those aren't good) so you can pick the one that best suits you.

PLEASE FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS TO THE LETTER

What does this ROM provide?

* Root - Thanks Indirect
    * Busybox already installed
    * Ribbon Status Bar MDPI Mod
    * Build.prop changed to look like a Nexus S Mod
    * Working cifs, nls_utf8, slow-work, and tun modules - Thanks succulent
    * Adhoc wifi FIX - Thanks zambien
    * OpenVPN binaries
    * Removed some B&N apps including Stock Home Launcher just kept Library, Reader, Games, Pandora and Netflix
    * Changed Stock Hulu+ app with a modified one meant to work in most Android devices - Thanks blunttedsmurf
    * Comfortaa Fonts

What applications include?
    * Some apps have a Ribbon Notification Icon in order to match the Statusbar mod.

1. Superuser
    2. ES File Explorer
    3. NT Hidden Settings - thanks brianf21
    4. Go Launcher
    5. AdFree
    6. Gapps including Gmail, Youtube and Google Voice (apart)
    7. Button Savior
    8. Modified Hulu+
    9. Modified Email with working Exchange
    10. Titanium Backup
    11. IMO chat
    12. Go Locker
    13. Plume (Twitter)
    14. TaskXP
    15. MusicMod
    16. Quick Boot
    17. Gallery 3D
    18. Wifi ADB
    19. Antivirus Free
    20. Phantom Music Control
    21. SD-Booster
    22. FlashPlayer
    23. SpareParts
    24. Root App Remover
    25. Mclock

Installation:

1. Download the file: NT_stock_1.4.0_Ribbon_Root_v2.zip
    2. Plug your Nook Tablet to your PC and check that Internal SDcard (MyNOOK) AND SDcard are mounted
    3. Copy NT_stock_1.4.0_Ribbon_Root_v2.zip in the root (/) of Internal OR External SDcard (Pick one)
    4. Eject safely your Nook Tablet
    5. Boot into CWM
    5.1 Wipe data then go to advanced>> wipe dalvik cache, once done press power button to go back
    5.2 Go to Install zip from sdcard >> choose zip from sdcard (if you copied the folder to your External sdcard) >> select NT_stock_1.4.0_Ribbon_Root_v2.zip
    5.2 Go to Install zip from sdcard >> choose zip from internal sdcard (if you copied the folder to your Internal sdcard [MyNOOK]) >> select NT_stock_1.4.0_Ribbon_Root_v2.zip
    7. The process will start, once done Reboot your device ENJOY!

Recommendation:

* Backup your apps and data using Titanium for easy restore back
    * Wipe data, dalvik cache before flash a new ROM - WARNING: it is safe to wipe/format data, cache, dalvik cache and system, DO NOT format the other partitions or you will brick your device
    * Bypass registration of Nook Tablet by Albert Wertz

Download Links:
    *These are flashable .zip

NT_stock_1.4.2_Ribbon_Root_B&N.zip - ROM with B&N content (318 MB) | md5: 0eb7a1dff67c5fe58be4c58b13f9abb2
    NT_stock_1.4.0_Ribbon_Root_B&N_v2 .zip - ROM with B&N content (300.8 MB) | md5: 1c7033fb9c6467c98c5a50cc167fee5e
    NT_stock_1.4.0_Ribbon_Root_v2 .zip - ROM with NO B&N content (284.6 MB) | md5: 9b909ce9d30feedbbde53ae367c861d5

Screenshot:

rom.png

My Setup:

mClock widget with markedclOck theme (must create mClock folder: /mnt/sdcard/mClock/ and then drop the unzipped files)
    PinsMusicMod widget (4x3)
    Phantom Music Control (There is a bug and the options doesn't show up but here is my setup)
    And lastly for the statusbar: [ICONS] Beautiful -= Ribbon Status Bar Icons =- [MDPI/HDPI]

~ Veronica​
    Update 15/2/12

Alright UPLOADING v2, will be a flashable zip now no more CWM backup folder and a standar Apk_Package_Installer.zip with:

* Androzip
    * Anycut
    * App cache cleaner
    * Dolphin Browser
    * ES Bookmark Manager (to create shortcuts of your media on desktop)

... These apps are included in the v2 of this ROM.

As i have mentioned in this thread with a flashable zip you get more flexibility.
    What does that mean? It means that you can delete apps that you don't want or add others by drag and dropping it/them within /system/app of the .zip

Edit: OP UPDATED!

~ Veronica
    Different but still no go.

1) The B&N reader & store are availible in the stock launcher but are missing in from Go Launcher. Is there a way to migrate the app from the stock laumcher?

2) Not as but an issue but annoying. The unroot app force close appears after every reboot.

3) The 'N' key at the bottom reverts the launcher back to the Book default. I think I know why & how to fix this one.

I was sure to clear the user data and cache this time!

1. Is normal and why you need to keep stock launcher, you can tap on a book and it will open directly with reader or prompt a window with the option to choose between reader and 3rth party apps that you have installed.
    To handle better the back and forth launchers use HomeCatcher.apk

2. Move the unroot app from /system/app to /data/app using a file explorer or just uninstall it if you think you won't need it with app for uninstall I have added

3. Use HomeCatcher

PS: Read my FAQ for tips

~ Veronica

Sent from my SGH-I897 using XDA
    Just to let you guys know i update OP with a full version (means with B&N content already included) so you don't have to use the re-bloat if you want to have B&N content.

Also im almost done modifing a CM7 Soft-mod ROM with Ribbons ICS theme!

@cgdash now i understand your request and that function got deactivated once i change SystemUI and framework-res apps that i got from this thread and here you can see some modifications that users have made. PM @xecuter or post in that thread for help and hopefully it can be done.

~ Veronica
    Cool, gonna try it today! Could you add Morelocale also?

Hmm will think about it, next version will have the copy paste mod. Keep dropping suggestions people.

~ Veronica

Sent from XDA premium using my Nook Tablet :p