[CF-ROOT] CF-ROOT for Gingerbread XXKPM-XXKPH-JPKP5 UPDATE 20.10.2011

Search This thread

Skin1980

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 25, 2009
First of all... Thanks Chainfire!!!! This is totally based on your work.... i made only some MOD....

Ok, the work is quite finished... the CF-ROOT for I9003 is ready!
I called this "beta version" (since i need your tests/opinions) but all might work.
IMPORTANT: This is only for KPH Firmware!!!
You can flash this over any other CWM or over the stock FW.

Many people will ask "Why i have to install this?"... because with this your phone will have:

- Root ( don't need to use SOC or any ZIP);
- Busybox 1.17.2;
- Sqlite3 v3.7.2;
- init.d support (you can put in the folder /system/etc/init.d all the script that you want to be loaded at the startup);
- New fixed CWM ( unyaffs issue has been fixed - offline charge fixed - USB storage mode while in CWM fixed);
- Add EXT4 support to the phone ( so you can convert the filesystem to ext4 to improve performance);
- full working CWM Manager (backup - restore - delete backup - install apk - flash update.zip - flash kernel - reboot to CWM);
- Tweaks Manager with various tweak ( Ram Min Free - SD Speed - I/O Scheduler - Kernel Scheduler - CPU Conservative Governor - Swappiness - Ram Script by Juwe11 - Media Stagefright)---> Many people asked for Juwe Ram Script ---> to enable it completely choose in the Tweaks Manager: Ram Script - Ram Min Free and Swappiness;
- Auto ZIP-Align on boot - You can choose it in the tweaks app(NEW)
- Reviewed tweaks values (some from darky's rom some from hardcore some from other post in XDA)( thanks to bigeyes0x0 and Misledz )(NEW)
- Custom Boot-Animation support (place your custom bootanimation in /system/media/ and call it sanim.zip)(NEW)

To do:

- other tweaks suggested by you...
- whatever can be added.

Let me know what you think

HERE you can find the original post.

HOW TO INSTALL:

1- Flash with Odin the .tar file

or...if you went from a previous version of CF-ROOT

2- Download the .zip file into the external SD the open CWM Manager --> flash Kernel --> select the file you have just downoaded

IMPORTANT:
If you cannot find the two apps on your app drawer maybe you haven't space left on /system so delete some unused apps like aldiko, delere /system/cfroot folder and reboot

IMPORTANT/2: after the flash the phone might take some time to boot. You might think that it freeze on Samsung Logo but it's normal cause the auto-zipalign proc need some time. Just Wait.

UPDATE: Added CF-ROOT with my custom kernel. This have Ext4 inside the kernel (no modules) and OC to 1.1 Ghz. I think that it is secure. I haven't test it very well so please report me the issues you will find.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 9,826
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 7,715
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 8,231
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 8,985
  • CF-ROOT-XXKPH-21.08.2011.tar
    6.5 MB · Views: 50,216
  • CF-ROOT-KPH-CUSTOM_KERNEL.tar
    6.7 MB · Views: 16,110
Last edited:

Skin1980

Nov 25, 2009
!

Version 05.09.2011 Changelog:

- added Graphics Boost Tweak (thanks Gana)
- added acid tweaks (thanks to the people that worked on it .. specially Bigeyes0x0);
- reviewed 00tweaks file by Bigeyes0x0;

To disable journaling on ext4 partition apply the attached journaloff.zip in CWM (Not CWM Manager app - it must be fixed).

There're two version of the CF-ROOT, the version with **CWM_Manager** can be flashed with CWM Manager App (select flash kernel) the other with odin (like always)

UPDATE 20.10.2011:

CF-ROOT for XXKPM can be found HERE:

- Standard Version --> http://www.multiupload.com/S463K75UED
- Surprise version ( i suggest you this) --> http://www.multiupload.com/G20L6PL5WC

What's new ?
- I finally finished the custom bootanimation support.... now works like he have to works. Just copy your bootanimation into /system/media and rename it to sanim.zip.... i think that here you can find what you need http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=17322814#post17322814

IMPORTANT!!!

If you have installed the beta version you must know that the ext4 conversion for that doesn't work properly. Ok, system, cache and dbdata will be on ext4 but data not. This because the init binary check on boot if /data have rfs FS and, if not, it format the partition wiping all your data.:mad:
In the new version i modified the init binary so it cannot do it more :)

I must say that i became mad to discover this damn thing !

Attachments

• CF-ROOT-XXKPH-CWM_manager-05.09.2011.zip
    6.7 MB · Views: 13,738
  • CF-ROOT-XXKPH-05.09.2011.tar
    6.8 MB · Views: 35,132
  • CF-ROOT-JPKP5-05.09.2011.tar
    6.8 MB · Views: 11,815
  • CF-ROOT-JPKP5-CWM-Manager-05.09.2011.zip
    6.7 MB · Views: 6,605
  • journaloff.zip
    528.4 KB · Views: 3,637
  • CF-ROOT-JPKP5-OC-1.1Ghz.tar
    6.8 MB · Views: 4,160
Last edited:

Erahgon

Apr 27, 2011
Los Angeles
Google Pixel 3 XL
Google Pixel 6
A few questions: Are you using the latest fixed version of CWM? Also you mentioned that you would be releasing another update soon regarding the Nandroid backup image corruption issue. Is it in this release?

Also: Is this an alternative to ROM manager, apart from the inclusion of the tweaker tool?
Regarding the enhancements, could you please elaborate on some of them and what is safe/not safe to use (particularly in the tweaks and what they do)?

What I understood, after looking over all the posts, was that you optimized the CF-Root by chainfire for the i9003, by using a compatible Root, CWM, and adding an ext4 kernel? Are you going to port the ext4 converter tool as well? Will we be able to use an external SD card with ext4 formatting (Could be used to store files larger than 4GB)?

Sorry about the ton of questions. Trying to learn, and what better way to learn than from the best!
I'm going to take it out for a test drive now on XXKPE with ext4! Will report back later!
Thanks for your valuable work, I'm a huge fan!!!
Cheers

Update: Confirming that the passive charging bug has been fixed! Thanks Skin1980!
I cannot find the CWM or Tweaks icons in the app drawer as indicated in your screenshots. I can access CWM recovery mode using the 3 button combo though.
I had installed the last version of CWM by Amit and formatted with ext4 and I just used ODIN to flash over that install. I tried flashing again, still not appearing in app drawer. Any solutions?

Last edited:

Misledz

Jun 1, 2011
Cebu City, Philippines
Auguri! Ok wow, This is pure genius :D . I've always been wondering what our CWM were based off. I guess using this would fix most issues people get when flashing CWM, since it's based off the original firmware

Also I'm loving the tweaks, they seem to make the phone more smooth, Although I've seen a few bugs after applying this I can't seem to use the V6 charger script anymore I get an error, will be posting one shortly. There are some minor hiccups in between and I tend to get FC on some apps when I multitask.

Edit: Turns out It's busybox related, no shell access. I've tried launching Busybox by Stericsons to check and It says no root access was given and boots me out.

snap20110804_092822.png

Last edited:

manrock111

May 9, 2011
Internet
i happy that u r belong to this community :)

Is there any recovery module or tweak available, in which we can handle basic file operation like copy, move from sd card to system or any thing similar?

Skin1980

Nov 25, 2009
A few questions: Are you using the latest fixed version of CWM? Also you mentioned that you would be releasing another update soon regarding the Nandroid backup image corruption issue. Is it in this release?

Also: Is this an alternative to ROM manager, apart from the inclusion of the tweaker tool?
Regarding the enhancements, could you please elaborate on some of them and what is safe/not safe to use (particularly in the tweaks and what they do)?

What I understood, after looking over all the posts, was that you optimized the CF-Root by chainfire for the i9003, by using a compatible Root, CWM, and adding an ext4 kernel? Are you going to port the ext4 converter tool as well? Will we be able to use an external SD card with ext4 formatting (Could be used to store files larger than 4GB)?

Sorry about the ton of questions. Trying to learn, and what better way to learn than from the best!
I'm going to take it out for a test drive now on XXKPE with ext4! Will report back later!
Thanks for your valuable work, I'm a huge fan!!!
Cheers

Update: Confirming that the passive charging bug has been fixed! Thanks Skin1980!
I cannot find the CWM or Tweaks icons in the app drawer as indicated in your screenshots. I can access CWM recovery mode using the 3 button combo though.
I had installed the last version of CWM by Amit and formatted with ext4 and I just used ODIN to flash over that install. I tried flashing again, still not appearing in app drawer. Any solutions?

1- The CWM used is always the last... if i'll update the CWM i'll update the CF-ROOT;
2- The CWM fixed reguard nandroid backup is under test;
3- My CWM isn't ROM Manager compatible... with the CWM Manager from Chainfire you can do a lot of things without going into CWM
4 - to convert in EXT4 just follow the guide on the other thread;
5- Not sure if you can format in XT4 your external_sd... try :D;
6- The tweak are all sure... now i haven't time to exlplain better... some don't work.... some other work.
7- If the icon don't appear in app drawer try to check into system/app if the two files are there... if not try to remove /system/cfroot folder and reboot. Maybe your system folder is full so you can install they manually, the original apk are inside /res/misc/ folder.
8- bye :D

anigr88

May 26, 2011
chennai
Is there any tweak for increasing the 2g speed ??
or getting 3g speed in 2g plans...
I need this very badly...

vishal24387

Inactive Recognized Contributor
May 11, 2011
Solapur, Maharashtra
I am not getting exact idea that what exact cf root does??? Or how cf root is so special...?? Will this make our work easy to do changes in kernal (that would be great)...???
Please can anybody in simple language....!!!

Erahgon

Apr 27, 2011
Los Angeles
Google Pixel 3 XL
Google Pixel 6
Update!

The problem I had turned out to be due to the lack of space in the "/system" folder - as you had predicted Skin1980! Once I deleted some unnecessary software, I was up and running fully within minutes!

The phone works great! The fixes are really good! Having no issues except for one so far. I can't seem to mound "sdcard" in CWM recovery mode and cannot do a restore, for the same reason, from the CF-ROOT menu.
I have a feeling it's something I did wrong earlier, so I'll reflash completely and try again ('cause I have a lotta time on my hands atm and I want the bestest possible phone I can get).

Note: This doesn't seem to be compatible with DDKB2. Assuming that this is mainly for GB firmwares? Can someone corroborate this?

As usual, thanks!

Misledz

Jun 1, 2011
Cebu City, Philippines
The problem I had turned out to be due to the lack of space in the "/system" folder - as you had predicted Skin1980! Once I deleted some unnecessary software, I was up and running fully within minutes!

The phone works great! The fixes are really good! Having no issues except for one so far. I can't seem to mound "sdcard" in CWM recovery mode and cannot do a restore, for the same reason, from the CF-ROOT menu.
I have a feeling it's something I did wrong earlier, so I'll reflash completely and try again ('cause I have a lotta time on my hands atm and I want the bestest possible phone I can get).

Note: This doesn't seem to be compatible with DDKB2. Assuming that this is mainly for GB firmwares? Can someone corroborate this?

As usual, thanks!

after a whole day of using it. The phone will tend to lag and build up after a while. You'll notice the phone becomes slow again. I don't know what's going on.

Erahgon

Apr 27, 2011
Los Angeles
Google Pixel 3 XL
Google Pixel 6
after a whole day of using it. The phone will tend to lag and build up after a while. You'll notice the phone becomes slow again. I don't know what's going on.
I did notice that initially it was fast. But as I kept it going through the day to recalibrate the battery, it did slow down and start to lag. I thought it was something to do with that. Also I felt that I had done something wrong with the flashing.

Going to overhaul my phone completely: Format, re-partition, XXKPE install (flashing twice), flash fixed CWM from the other thread, root using SOP 2.1.1, install busybox requirements for deodexing (this failed for me the last few times), restore settings using Titanium Backup, Nandroid backup, ext4 this baby, restore, and then install CF-ROOT to monitor.

Wish me luck! See you guys on the other side... again!

Erahgon

Apr 27, 2011
Los Angeles
Google Pixel 3 XL
Google Pixel 6
I just want a small boost in the speed .... :(

You've got the wrong thread mate!
Your bandwidth is capped by you operator and is dependent on how much they allocate you. On top of that 2G is physically limited to certain speeds which, usually, cannot be surpassed by legal means, and the illegal ones give you too less of a boost vs complications and errors to even bother about (I mean big ass hardware)!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    First of all... Thanks Chainfire!!!! This is totally based on your work.... i made only some MOD....

Ok, the work is quite finished... the CF-ROOT for I9003 is ready!
    I called this "beta version" (since i need your tests/opinions) but all might work.
    IMPORTANT: This is only for KPH Firmware!!!
    You can flash this over any other CWM or over the stock FW.

Many people will ask "Why i have to install this?"... because with this your phone will have:

- Root ( don't need to use SOC or any ZIP);
    - Busybox 1.17.2;
    - Sqlite3 v3.7.2;
    - init.d support (you can put in the folder /system/etc/init.d all the script that you want to be loaded at the startup);
    - New fixed CWM ( unyaffs issue has been fixed - offline charge fixed - USB storage mode while in CWM fixed);
    - Add EXT4 support to the phone ( so you can convert the filesystem to ext4 to improve performance);
    - full working CWM Manager (backup - restore - delete backup - install apk - flash update.zip - flash kernel - reboot to CWM);
    - Tweaks Manager with various tweak ( Ram Min Free - SD Speed - I/O Scheduler - Kernel Scheduler - CPU Conservative Governor - Swappiness - Ram Script by Juwe11 - Media Stagefright)---> Many people asked for Juwe Ram Script ---> to enable it completely choose in the Tweaks Manager: Ram Script - Ram Min Free and Swappiness;
    - Auto ZIP-Align on boot - You can choose it in the tweaks app(NEW)
    - Reviewed tweaks values (some from darky's rom some from hardcore some from other post in XDA)( thanks to bigeyes0x0 and Misledz )(NEW)
    - Custom Boot-Animation support (place your custom bootanimation in /system/media/ and call it sanim.zip)(NEW)

To do:

- other tweaks suggested by you...
    - whatever can be added.

Let me know what you think

HERE you can find the original post.

HOW TO INSTALL:

1- Flash with Odin the .tar file

or...if you went from a previous version of CF-ROOT

2- Download the .zip file into the external SD the open CWM Manager --> flash Kernel --> select the file you have just downoaded

IMPORTANT:
    If you cannot find the two apps on your app drawer maybe you haven't space left on /system so delete some unused apps like aldiko, delere /system/cfroot folder and reboot

IMPORTANT/2: after the flash the phone might take some time to boot. You might think that it freeze on Samsung Logo but it's normal cause the auto-zipalign proc need some time. Just Wait.

UPDATE: Added CF-ROOT with my custom kernel. This have Ext4 inside the kernel (no modules) and OC to 1.1 Ghz. I think that it is secure. I haven't test it very well so please report me the issues you will find.
    !

Version 05.09.2011 Changelog:

- added Graphics Boost Tweak (thanks Gana)
    - added acid tweaks (thanks to the people that worked on it .. specially Bigeyes0x0);
    - reviewed 00tweaks file by Bigeyes0x0;

To disable journaling on ext4 partition apply the attached journaloff.zip in CWM (Not CWM Manager app - it must be fixed).

There're two version of the CF-ROOT, the version with **CWM_Manager** can be flashed with CWM Manager App (select flash kernel) the other with odin (like always)

UPDATE 20.10.2011:

CF-ROOT for XXKPM can be found HERE:

- Standard Version --> http://www.multiupload.com/S463K75UED
    - Surprise version ( i suggest you this) --> http://www.multiupload.com/G20L6PL5WC

What's new ?
    - I finally finished the custom bootanimation support.... now works like he have to works. Just copy your bootanimation into /system/media and rename it to sanim.zip.... i think that here you can find what you need http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=17322814#post17322814

IMPORTANT!!!

If you have installed the beta version you must know that the ext4 conversion for that doesn't work properly. Ok, system, cache and dbdata will be on ext4 but data not. This because the init binary check on boot if /data have rfs FS and, if not, it format the partition wiping all your data.:mad:
    In the new version i modified the init binary so it cannot do it more :)

I must say that i became mad to discover this damn thing !
    Guide on pushing ACID mods manually to our phone

Requirements:
    . CF-ROOT Gingerbread (tested on XXKPH)
    . My archive attached here
    . Working ADB setup
    . A nandroid backup before everything, so you can go back in case of misconfiguration

Mod procedures:
    - Push the attachment to your phone and extract it.
    - Easy part, 00tweaks
    . What it does: init.d optimization script including, ext4 mount option optimizations, auto-zipalign, ACID kernel/io scheduler and vm manager optimizations
    . Back up the old /system/etc/init.d/00tweaks by renaming it to something and set its permission to ---------. You can move it to your ext sdcard, too.
    . Copy the new 00tweaks file, in my attachment, to /system/etc/init.d
    . Set its permission to rwxr-xr-x
    . Enable every tweaks in Tweaks app included in CF-ROOT, reboot and you've done

- Harder part, fugumod and libsqlite mod
    . What it does: fugumod replaces app_process and system_server making our phone feel smoother (got me ~250p in quadrant std); libsqlite effects various apps using this lib, basically you'll have faster database access, and a lot of apps in android uses sqlite databases
    . Back up /system/bin/app_process, /system/bin/system_server, /system/lib/libsqlite.so and /system/lib/libsqlite_jni.so . I simply renamed them, you can do the same or move them to your ext sdcard for backup.
    . Copy respective files from my attachment: app_process, system_server to /system/bin and libsqlite.so, libsqlite_jni.so to /system/lib
    . Important: change permission of newly copied app_process and system_server to rwxr-xr-x, otherwise you will get boot loop and need CWM adb access to recover.
    . Reboot and you've done. The first time it boots might take sometime, the next time will be much much faster.

- Hardest part, disabling ext4 journaling
    . What it does: like title said, basically it's like running ext2 on your phone instead of ext4. It will net you around 200p in quadrant std
    . Reboot your phone into CWM recovery, wait one minute for adb interface to be active
    . Check and make sure /system, /cache and /data partition are mounted
    . Connect your usb cable and open "adb shell"
    . Following commands are executed in adb shell, change <pathto> to the directory where you extracted my attachment
    Code:
    # mount -o remount,rw /
    # cp <pathto>/tune2fs /tune2fs
    # chmod 755 /tune2fs
    # cat /proc/mounts  > /etc/mtab
    # mount -o remount,ro /system
    # mount -o remount,ro /data
    # mount -o remount,ro /cache
    # /tune2fs -O ^has_journal /dev/block/stl9
    # /tune2fs -O ^has_journal /dev/block/stl11
    # /tune2fs -O ^has_journal /dev/block/mmcblk0p3
    . Reboot your phone and you've done

After these tweaks I got over 2500p on quadrant std, the phone feels snappier, with more free RAM compared to Darky's ram script originally included inside CF-ROOT. I haven't encountered any problem, if you guys are good with these tweaks I will ask Skin to include every mod here inside CF-ROOT and everyone wins.
    On 2nd post version for KPM
    KPH version has been posted.... hope you like it... report issue here or PM me (or both);)