[5.0+][ROOT][3.6.0] AFWall+ IPTables Firewall [28 AUG 2023]

Search This thread

Hiroo Onoda

Apr 22, 2019
Not if you're using Google Maps, it won't. I use MapFactor Navigator, with OsmAnd map data. That way I can be offline completely and still use GPS, all I need is Location enabled for it to work.

It's strange if AFWall+ is affecting your GPS, it shouldn't... I've got GPS unchecked in all my AFWall+ profiles. Perhaps you've somehow blocked or disabled Fused Location in Settings > Apps?

Nope, Fused Location is one of the apks I haven't disabled. But there's a bunch of others, so I'll have to check each of them.

Lusty Rugnuts

Apr 17, 2019
Ok, I had a chance to dig into my problem a bit more...

Running the command: ip6tables -L -v -n shows:
Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes)
pkts bytes target prot opt in out source destination
15319 1119K afwall all * * ::/0 ::/0
16031 1142K oem_out all * * ::/0 ::/0
16031 1142K firewall all * * ::/0 ::/0
16031 1142K fw_OUTPUT all * * ::/0 ::/0
16031 1142K st_OUTPUT all * * ::/0 ::/0
16031 1142K bw_OUTPUT all * * ::/0 ::/0

So the afwall chain is connected to the OUTPUT chain... so I'm wondering why, when I set simple rules (via a .sh script) such as: $IP6 -A afwall -d 2404:6800:4000::/36 -j DROP, I'm getting "No chain/target/match by that name." for each IPv6 rule I enter? Especially so, since if I manually enter that rule via adb, there is no error.

Can I use the "firewall" chain, rather than the "afwall" chain? It's attached to both INPUT and OUTPUT chains. Is it automatically flushed upon a change of AFWall+ profile?

Here's something else strange:
In my script, I enter the rule:
$IP6 -A afwall -s 2a00:1450:4000::/36 -j REJECT
AFWall+ gives the "No chain/target/match by that name." error in the logs at the bottom of the 'Iptables rules' window.
But the rule does show up under the afwall chain.
Now, when I then issue via superuser adb shell:
ip6tables -D afwall -s 2a00:1450:4000::/36 -j REJECT
ip6tables -D afwall -s 2a00:1450:4000::/36 -j REJECT
I get the expected "ip6tables: Bad rule (does a matching rule exist in that chain?)." because I've deleted that rule.
But if I refresh the AFWall+ 'Iptables rules' window, that rule is still there.
So the AFWall+ Refresh command isn't working correctly.

Last edited:

Jaseven

May 3, 2019
Sorry if this may be asked too much, but I just started using AFWall to block apps that I don't trust like Samsung apps and Swiftkey, but I also use Private Internet Access as my VPN, and it cancels out the AFWall firewall. Is there any way to configure it to work with PIA as my always-on VPN?

Lusty Rugnuts

Apr 17, 2019
Ok, I dove deep on the problem, and figured out that AFWall+ must not like the iptables for this system (Android Nougat 7.0.04.13, rooted with TWRP as bootloader and Magisk as root).

I uninstalled AFWall+ and started fresh.

Under:
AFWall+ Preferences > Experimental Features > Startup directory for script, I set it to /data/adb/service.d/
AFWall+ Preferences > Profiles > I enabled multiple profiles and 'Apply rules on profile switch'.
AFWall+ Preferences > Binaries > Iptables binary, I set it to 'Built-in iptables'.
AFWall+ Preferences > Binaries > BusyBox binary, I set it to 'Built-in BusyBox'.

At the top of my .sh scripts, I'd been using (taken from here):
# NECESSARY AT THE TOP OF EACH SCRIPT!
IP6=/system/bin/ip6tables
IP4=/system/bin/iptables

I changed it to:
IP6=ip6tables
IP4=iptables

And I enabled:
[-12] (tethering) - DHCP+DNS services (dev.afwall.special.tether)
... and aside from Nebulo glitching and not passing DNS requests after an AFWall+ profile change (I have to stop Nebulo and start it for it to work... a bug report is in with the app's developer), everything seems to work!

Still need the auto-flush chain on at least the INPUT chain, though. Maybe the app's dev can hang an auto-flush chain off PREROUTING... blocking incoming packets further upstream means fewer CPU cycles consumed in blocking them, and that's important on a battery-operated device.

Last edited:
Reactions: nussbaum

webleeper

Apr 4, 2007
Long Island, NY
On Pixel 3 XL when disconnecting from WiFi and switching to data, there is no connection available until I turn off afwall, is anyone else seeing this issue and does anyone have a workaround

Oswald Boelcke

Senior Moderator / Moderator Committee
Staff member
Thanks very much for your excellent elaboration, which can certainly be very valuable for other members. However, I've to admit that it doesn't really apply to me. Additionally I'm surprised what did lead you to the assumption I would or could use anything by Google? Ok, just to be honest there's one exception: I have one Google application installed that is the Google Play Store modified by Setalphia. Otherwise, no Google services or applications. But this is certainly not commonly known, and I cannot truely assume that my following threads have been read:
https://xdaforums.com/android/general/how-enhance-battery-duration-sgs-3-lte-t3478287
https://xdaforums.com/android/general/gapps-free-samsung-galaxy-s3-lte-gt-t3553620
https://xdaforums.com/raspberry-pi/general/pi-hole-pivpn-powered-raspberry-pi-3-t3768983

The reason why I've DNS over netd disabled is explained at the end of this post. I do not intend to refrain from this configuration.

I've also tested quite a few keyboards including Hacker's Keyboard but never ever the Google keyboard as it doesn't comply with my personal privacy policy i.e. again wondering that it had to be mentioned in context with my person. Hacker's Keyboard layout didn't suit my personal purposes and preferences at all; I'm well aware about the con's of my current keyboard, which are easily to defeat including by support of AFWall+ (just mentioning in order to also make this paragraph on-topic for this thread).

Oswald Boelcke

Senior Moderator / Moderator Committee
Staff member
On Pixel 3 XL when disconnecting from WiFi and switching to data, there is no connection available until I turn off afwall, is anyone else seeing this issue and does anyone have a workaround
No connection on mobile data or no internet access?

vip5912

Jun 20, 2017
Can someone tell me the reason for the usage of slashes in ip addresses?
For instance: 224.0.0.0/4
CIDR is the short for Classless Inter-Domain Routing, an IP addressing scheme that replaces the older system based on classes A, B, and C. A single IP address can be used to designate many unique IP addresses with CIDR. A CIDR IP address looks like a normal IP address except that it ends with a slash followed by a number, called the IP network prefix. CIDR addresses reduce the size of routing tables and make more IP addresses available within organizations.
https://www.ipaddressguide.com/cidr

Last edited:

vip5912

Jun 20, 2017
Just updated to 2.9.9
Had to disable/enable log service before toasts started showing up. Other than that everything's great so far.
Love the dual app support.
I'm using island for dual apps and afwall is doing exactly what I would expect.
Thanks.
ver. 3.1.0
Do you check Dual Apps opt only or Multi-User opt also?
Do you clone AFWall+ to Island?

eriol1

Feb 16, 2015
ver. 3.1.0
Do you check Dual Apps opt only or Multi-User opt also?
Do you clone AFWall+ to Island?
Only dual apps.
Did not clone afwall to island.
When dual apps is checked in afwall, cloned apps appear in afwall main rule screen so they can be allowed/blocked like regular apps.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190529-115201_AFWall+.png
    Screenshot_20190529-115201_AFWall+.png
    57.8 KB · Views: 399
  • Screenshot_20190529-114754_AFWall+.png
    Screenshot_20190529-114754_AFWall+.png
    177.5 KB · Views: 397
Reactions: vip5912

vip5912

Jun 20, 2017
Only dual apps.
Did not clone afwall to island.
When dual apps is checked in afwall, cloned apps appear in afwall main rule screen so they can be allowed/blocked like regular apps.
The AFWALL in the Mainland don't see the applications which are not installed in Mainland (only in Island).
It see only dual apps.
I clone AFWALL to Island and this clone see the applications in Island.
But I don't know will the problem be with using two AFWALL (Mainland and Island). :confused:
I checked Multi-User opt and selected blacklist mode.
Do I need check Dual App opt in this case?
I have some apps in Mainland, some in Island and some dual (in Mainland & Island).

Last edited:

eriol1

Feb 16, 2015
The AFWALL in the Mainland don't see the applications which are not installed in Mainland (only in Island).
It see only dual apps.
I clone AFWALL to Island and this clone see the applications in Island.
But I don't know will the problem be with using two AFWALL (Mainland and Island). :confused:
I checked Multi-User opt and selected blacklist mode.
Do I need check Dual App opt in this case?
I have some apps in Mainland, some in Island and some dual (in Mainland & Island).
I'm guessing using 2 afwall apps would not work.
Since there is only one iptables in the system, both afwall apps would just overwrite each other's rules every time they apply, so probably the last one to apply would win.
I tried cloning afwall to island to test but I don't seem to have root in island apps and I don't have the patience to figure out how to get it working. I'd rather not have root available for island apps anyway.

I'm not sure why island apps don't appear in afwall (mainland) after being removed from mainland. Might be a bug in afwall or simply an android limitation.
Maybe @ukanth can clarify.

vip5912

Jun 20, 2017
Since there is only one iptables in the system, both afwall apps would just overwrite each other's rules every time they apply, so probably the last one to apply would win.
I tried cloning afwall to island to test but I don't seem to have root in island apps and I don't have the patience to figure out how to get it working. I'd rather not have root available for island apps anyway.

I'm not sure why island apps don't appear in afwall (mainland) after being removed from mainland. Might be a bug in afwall or simply an android limitation.
As I understand there is the multi-user opt for this case. I check this opt in the both afwalls and select blacklist mode (block selected).
Multi-user opt is only for blacklist mode!
Then I check the dual-apps opt off and I see Mainland apps in Mainland afwall and Island apps in Island AFWall :)
For root right in Island you need check this opt in Magisk setup. You can select use one Magisk Manager for both profiles or use two different Magisk Managers in Mainland and Island.
I use second opt. I clone Magisk Manager to Island. I need root right in Island for some apps (i.e. Migrate for backup Island apps).

Lusty Rugnuts

Apr 17, 2019
Can someone tell me the reason for the usage of slashes in ip addresses?
For instance: 224.0.0.0/4

That specifies a CIDR range... a range of IP addresses. It's a way of entering a large range of IP addresses in a very short format.

For example:
# DROP the entire internet
iptables -I afwall -d 0.0.0.0/0 -j DROP
ip6tables -I afwall -d ::/0 -j DROP

That's 4,294,967,296 IPv4 IP addresses, and 340,282,366,920,938,463,463,374,607,431,768,211,456 IPv6 IP addresses.

I've used it in my AFWall+ settings to block all of Google's CIDR ranges in my Default firewall profile.

You can find all IP addresses for a company here.

You can aggregate CIDR ranges to minimize your firewall entries here.

In your case, it'd be 224.0.0.1 to 239.255.255.254.
Network = 224.0.0.0
Usable IPs = 224.0.0.1 to 239.255.255.254 for 268435454
Broadcast = 239.255.255.255
Netmask = 240.0.0.0
Wildcard Mask = 15.255.255.255

Actually, they could try this:
Set up one AFWall+ to use the system's iptables, and the other to use AFWall+'s built-in iptables.

I haven't tried it, but it should allow the two iptables to co-exist without cross-feeding.

Last edited:

custon3

Dec 8, 2015
It's happening to me that when applying rules from the afwal menu,
90% of the time it hangs in the window "status: checking root" and I have to leave the app
force stop and clear cache. I'm not sure if the problem is caused by afwall or by magisk.
afwall + 3.1.0 free, whitelist, custom script, android 9 (mokee9), magisk 18.1.

Checking some logcat I found errors of the widget when I passed the bug when applying the rules.Making tests, after the app was blocked when applying the rules, I launched an afwall widget and pressed one of the options. (afwall was unlocked)
My impression is that there is some conflict between the switch to apply rules and the widget switch.I hope this helps @ukanth to debug this bug.

Last edited:
Reactions: IronTechmonkey

Lusty Rugnuts

Apr 17, 2019
Ok, I dove deep on the problem, and figured out that AFWall+ must not like the iptables for this system (Android Nougat 7.0.04.13, rooted with TWRP as bootloader and Magisk as root).

I uninstalled AFWall+ and started fresh.

Under:
AFWall+ Preferences > Experimental Features > Startup directory for script, I set it to /data/adb/service.d/
AFWall+ Preferences > Profiles > I enabled multiple profiles and 'Apply rules on profile switch'.
AFWall+ Preferences > Binaries > Iptables binary, I set it to 'Built-in iptables'.
AFWall+ Preferences > Binaries > BusyBox binary, I set it to 'Built-in BusyBox'.

At the top of my .sh scripts, I'd been using (taken from here):
IP4=/system/bin/iptables

I changed it to:
IP6=ip6tables
IP4=iptables

And I enabled:
[-12] (tethering) - DHCP+DNS services (dev.afwall.special.tether)
... and aside from Nebulo glitching and not passing DNS requests after an AFWall+ profile change (I have to stop Nebulo and start it for it to work... a bug report is in with the app's developer), everything seems to work!

Still need the auto-flush chain on at least the INPUT chain, though. Maybe the app's dev can hang an auto-flush chain off PREROUTING... blocking incoming packets further upstream means fewer CPU cycles consumed in blocking them, and that's important on a battery-operated device.

{UPDATE}
I've run with the above settings for awhile now, and they're not working correctly. The issues I've had with running the iptables built-in to AFWall+:
1) AFWall+ is very slow to flush and update iptables / ip6tables. It pauses for a long time twice as rules load, and rules loading is painfully slow even between the pauses.

2) Sometimes, AFWall+ reports that it's unable to gain root, then it doesn't load any iptables at all (the Rules window is completely blank) and the firewall disables.

3) Even when AFWall+ does successfully apply the new rules on a change of profile, when I close the AFWall+ window, it shows in the notifications that AFWall+ is applying the rules again. If I then open AFWall+ again and go to the Rules window, the rules are entered twice for each rule. Strangely, it seems it's only doing this for IPv4 rules... running:
adb shell
su
iptables -L
shows the twice-entered rules in the IPv4 iptable, whereas running:
adb shell
su
ip6tables -L
shows the rules don't seem to be twice-entered in the IPv6 iptable.

So I've changed things again:
Under:
AFWall+ Preferences > Binaries > Iptables binary, I set it to 'System iptables'.
AFWall+ Preferences > Binaries > BusyBox binary, I set it to 'System BusyBox'.

At the top of my .sh scripts:
IP4=/system/bin/iptables

Thus far, AFWall+ switches profiles really quickly, and thus far I've not gotten the error dialog stating that AFWall+ couldn't gain root.

I'm using the Stericson BusyBox.

So it appears there are problems with AFWall+'s built-in iptables and busybox. Or perhaps trying to have AFWall+ do everything (manage profiles, wrangle internal iptables, run internal busybox, etc.) was just too much, and things were timing out, but I've got a 1.3 GHz octa-core CPU and the problems haven't appeared using system iptables and system BusyBox, except for the rules duplication issue when the AFWall+ window is closed (described above).
{/UPDATE}

{UPDATE2}
I'm trying something new in the custom scripts... explicitly denoting the path to iptables, even for the built-in AFWall+ iptables:

# NOTE: You must change each {$IP4S | $IP4A | $IP4D} and {$IP6S | $IP6A | $IP6D}
# to reflect your use of System, AFWall+ or AFWall+(Donate version) iptables
# -------------------------
# System iptables
IP6S=/system/bin/ip6tables
IP4S=/system/bin/iptables

# AFWall+ iptables
IP6A=/data/data/dev.ukanth.ufirewall/app_bin/ip6tables
IP4A=/data/data/dev.ukanth.ufirewall/app_bin/iptables

# AFWall+Donate iptables
IP6D=/data/data/dev.ukanth.ufirewall.donate/app_bin/ip6tables
IP4D=/data/data/dev.ukanth.ufirewall.donate/app_bin/iptables
# -------------------------

So for instance, a ruleset for the system's iptables would be:
# DROP invalid packets
$IP4S -A afwall -m state --state INVALID -j DROP
$IP6S -A afwall -m state --state INVALID -j DROP

... whereas for the in-built iptables in the free version of AFWall+, it'd be:
# DROP invalid packets
$IP4A -A afwall -m state --state INVALID -j DROP
$IP6A -A afwall -m state --state INVALID -j DROP

... and for the iptables in the Donate version of AFWall+ it'd be:
# DROP invalid packets
$IP4D -A afwall -m state --state INVALID -j DROP
$IP6D -A afwall -m state --state INVALID -j DROP

I'm going to switch back to using AFWall+'s built-in iptables to see how it works with the above.
{/UPDATE2}

{ASIDE}
Hmmm... I wonder... if I set AFWall+ to use its internal iptables, but explicitly denoted that the rules I load via dot shell script use the system iptables, would that allow the phone to use both iptables, which would mean I could flush INPUT and OUTPUT chains in the system iptables (via the dot shell script) without affecting the AFWall+ iptables?

Because that'd give us a means of INPUT and OUTPUT packet filtering, whereas now we only have OUTPUT packet filtering (via the 'afwall' chain). Which means we could block scans, exploits, etc.

Must experiment.
{/ASIDE}

Last edited:

squid2g

Jun 6, 2019
Does anyone have any idea why AFWall+ doesn't work for me? It instantly blocks everything (internet simply doesn't work anymore, both on wifi and mobile data). I tried restarting it, rebooting, tried enabling it in Xposed module (Magisk's EdXposed) but no success. I don't even have to select anything from the menu, as soon as I enable firewall internet access is just gone (for all apps, browsers...). I tried installing multiple versions (including paid one) but it's all the same. Tried changing binaries but nothing works, as soon as I enable it internet is gone no matter what I do. I have Xiaomi mi 9 on MIUI10 (android pie) running custom ROM (Xiaomi.eu latest weekly version) but I did also try to run this app on few weeks older versions with same results. Does anyone have any idea what is happening? I haven't seen anyone having this problem.

jcmm11

Recognized Contributor
Feb 10, 2012
Google Pixel 4a 5G
Does anyone have any idea why AFWall+ doesn't work for me? It instantly blocks everything (internet simply doesn't work anymore, both on wifi and mobile data). I tried restarting it, rebooting, tried enabling it in Xposed module (Magisk's EdXposed) but no success. I don't even have to select anything from the menu, as soon as I enable firewall internet access is just gone (for all apps, browsers...). I tried installing multiple versions (including paid one) but it's all the same. Tried changing binaries but nothing works, as soon as I enable it internet is gone no matter what I do. I have Xiaomi mi 9 on MIUI10 (android pie) running custom ROM (Xiaomi.eu latest weekly version) but I did also try to run this app on few weeks older versions with same results. Does anyone have any idea what is happening? I haven't seen anyone having this problem.
When you start AFWall look on top at the icon next to the search icon. The one with 3 horizontal bars and a check mark. Click on that. Which option is checked?

Reactions: squid2g

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Welcome to official support page for AFWall+

Disclaimer - As Usual. I'll not take any responsible if something goes wrong when using AFWall+

Introduction
    AFWall+ is an improved version of DroidWall(front-end application for the powerful iptables Linux firewall). It allows you to restrict which applications are permitted to access your data networks (2G/3G/4G/LTE and/or Wi-Fi and while in roaming).Since the original author of Droidwall
    discontinued the project, I decided to keep the app instead of Avast Firewall. I'll continue to add more features as I can.

Features
    - Supports 5.x to 13.x
    - Import/Export Rules to external storage
    - Search Applications
    - Multiple Profiles with custom names
    - Tasker/Locale support
    - Select All/None/Invert/Clear applications with single click
    - Revamped Rules/Logs Viewer with copy/export to external storage
    - Ability to view the network interfaces
    - Highlight system applications with custom color
    - Notify on new installations
    - Ability to hide application icons( faster loading )
    - Use LockPattern for application protection.
    - Show/Hide application ID.
    - Roaming Control for 3G/Edge
    - VPN Control
    - LAN Control
    - Tether Control
    - IPV6 Control
    - Tor Control
    - Choose able languages
    - Choose able iptables/busybox binary
    - Supports MIPS/x86/ARM
    - DNS Hostname

Changelog - See third Post
    Current Version - 3.6.0

To get Unlocker without Google services - Please follow the instructions here

AFWall+ BETA Program
    1) AFWall+ opt-in for beta program
    2) Install AFWall+ and If you have any issues, just send email from (Menu -> Firewall Rules - > Send error report)

Source Code/Wiki/FAQ
    AFWall+ is an free & opensource application
    Github
    Log an issue
    Frequently Asked Questions
    Many Thanks to @CHEF-KOCH

Translations
    Translations - Please help me with translations in your language.
    http://crowdin.net/project/afwall

Thanks To/Credits
    - German translations by chef@xda & user_99@xda & Gronkdalonka@xda
    - French translations by GermainZ@xda & Looki75@xda
    - Russian translations by Kirhe@xda & YaroslavKa78
    - Spanish translations by spezzino@crowdin
    - Dutch translations by DutchWaG@crowdin
    - Japanese translation by nnnn@crowdin
    - Ukrainian translation by andriykopanytsia@crowdin
    - Slovenian translation by bunga bunga@crowdin
    - Chinese Simplified translation by tianchaoren@crowdin
    - Polish translations by tst,Piotr Kowalski@crowdin
    - Swedish translations by CreepyLinguist@crowdin
    - Greek Translations by mpqo@crowdin
    - Portuguese translations by lemor2008@xda
    - Chinese Traditional by shiuan@crowdin
    - Chinese Simplified by wuwufei,tianchaoren @ crowdin
    - Italian translations by benzo@crowdin
    - Romanian tranlations by mysterys3by-facebook@crowdin
    - Czech translations by Syk3s

Cheers,
    ukanth

XDA:DevDB Information
    AFWall+ [ IPTables Firewall ], App for the Android General

Contributors
    ukanth
    Source Code: https://github.com/ukanth/afwall

Version Information
    Stable
    Current Stable Version: 3.5.3
    Stable Release Date: 2022-06-28
    Current Beta Version:
    Beta Release Date: 2022-06-28

Created 2013-12-03
    Last Updated 2020-09-05
    Version 3.0.1

* Fix: Status toggle widget 1x1
    * Fix: Ability to hide ongoing notification (Stop firewall and restart to hide after disable it in preferences)
    * Fix: Firewall error notification on oreo and above
    * Security: Tile toggle checks for password
    * User reported crashes
    * Updated translations

Previous version 3.0.0

Features:
    * Better support for nougat/oreo and pie.
    * Firewall toggle tile
    * Adaptive Icons
    * Notification channels
    * Tor support

Bugs:
    * General bug fixes and crash reports.
    * Language selection bug
    * Filter selection bug
    * Compatible with magisk 17.x
    * Better handling of background process
    * Drops support for 4.x devices
    * Update languages
    * Updated libraries

Complete Changelog

Hello All,

After careful analysis and testing, I decided not to rewrite the way rules are being applied due to lot of under hood changes required. Instead added few enhancements. Now applying rules from menu will show how many rules are getting applied with progress status. Also when adding/removing few rules , it will apply only those related rules instead of full apply.

Also fixed couple of bugs and enhancements. You can get the full changelog from https://github.com/ukanth/afwall/blob/beta/Changelog.md

This is BETA Version which is not released on playstore. I have been using this for past week and it's stable. But there might be bugs which I haven't encountered. Please test it and report it in case of any issues.

Also I have been following XPrivacy thread on the decision by it's author. Just as FYI, I might fix it for my own usage when I update to nougat, I will share it here if anybody uses it here.

BETA Link - https://www.dropbox.com/s/isvi413qyx6vb4d/AFWall+ 2.9.7-BETA-TESTER.apk?dl=0
    Hello everyone,

I have released 3.0.0 stable on playstore today. It's been a crazy month so far. After going through lot of dilemma of whether to support the existing afwall or write a new one from scratch, finally able to pull myself and release stable version of afwall with lots of bug fixes and new features along with pie support. Since I don't do full time Android development, it was hard to keep track of what's going on with sdk level changes.

Thank you all for your support in AFWall+ development. Without your support it would simply not possible to pull through this.

I will be out for couple of days ( taking off to spend time with my family ) and hopefully will be able to reply to questions once back.

Thanks again and have a great day.
    Hello everyone,

I have released stable version of 3.1.0 to playstore and github. Its live on playstore. You can find the changelog along with md5/sha here

https://github.com/ukanth/afwall/releases/tag/v3.1.0

Thank you all for your continuous support in AFWall+ development.