[Q] What warranty will rooting void?

Search This thread

unicorndust98

Dec 4, 2011
Chicago
What I'm asking is, will rooting void Samsung's warranty, or the 2 year extended warranty from Best Buy, or both? Cause I really wanna test CM9 for this. But I have Best Buy's 2 year extended warranty. :(

SirRhor

What I'm asking is, will rooting void Samsung's warranty, or the 2 year extended warranty from Best Buy, or both? Cause I really wanna test CM9 for this. But I have Best Buy's 2 year extended warranty. :(

Rooting will void Samsung's warranty. You can unroot the ROM so they will not notice in case you need service.

I ignore if you can go back to the stock kernel if you flash a new one, Samsung can just enter on CWM and that way they will know your warranty is screwed.

I have an extended warranty as well on Best Buy, and what they told me is that not matter what happens with the device, they will replace it with a new one in case you need it.
But, and this is a big BUT, we are talking about Best Buy, a screwed up company with sale associates that know next to nothing about what they sale, and you could be in a situation where you need to replace your device because you accidentally bricked it, and they will tell you that hacking is not covered under their extended warranty, even though someone else told you it does.

Weight your options. But my advice is: do it!. Root the damn thing, that way you will learn more, and if you brick it, then you could buy another one (hopefully). After all, these are cheap machines.

Reactions: unicorndust98

j21098

Apr 9, 2012
houston
So if i drop it and the screen cracks and its rooted with stock rom will i still be covered under bestbuy warranty or will i have to unroot

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA

euph_22

Oct 28, 2009
Rooting will void Samsung's warranty. You can unroot the ROM so they will not notice in case you need service.

I ignore if you can go back to the stock kernel if you flash a new one, Samsung can just enter on CWM and that way they will know your warranty is screwed.

I have an extended warranty as well on Best Buy, and what they told me is that not matter what happens with the device, they will replace it with a new one in case you need it.
But, and this is a big BUT, we are talking about Best Buy, a screwed up company with sale associates that know next to nothing about what they sale, and you could be in a situation where you need to replace your device because you accidentally bricked it, and they will tell you that hacking is not covered under their extended warranty, even though someone else told you it does.

Weight your options. But my advice is: do it!. Root the damn thing, that way you will learn more, and if you brick it, then you could buy another one (hopefully). After all, these are cheap machines.

The guy in a blue Polo was either misinformed or lying. Best Buy's extended service plans on electronics like phones/media players suck horribly. Ignoring the fact that they don't cover lost/stolen devices or devices that have been immersed in water (considered how vague that exclusion is, and how hard it would be for them to tell the difference in water damage from being splashed and being dunked, I'm guess you'll have an uphill battle getting any water damage covered). If you attempt to file a claim they WILL attempt to fix it first. Which means sending it off somewhere to sit on a shelf for weeks before a tech even looks a the thing. Only if the tech decides he can't fix it will you get a replacement, which is probably refurbished. If the tech thinks he's fixed it they'll send it back. I say think because if the problem is intermittent it's quite likely the tech will simply not notice the player is still broken.

If you can still cancel the service plan, you're better off getting you're money back. Honestly, extended warranties aren't worth the money. By their very nature you HAVE to get less financial benefit out of them then they cost, period. In order for the guy selling the warranty to make a profit you have to be on the losing end of the deal. Stick some money in the back to put towards a replacement, or you're next device if all goes well. If you still feel better with some kind of coverage, you should be able to get covered by Square Trade, or other 3rd party companies.

SirRhor

The guy in a blue Polo was either misinformed or lying. Best Buy's extended service plans on electronics like phones/media players suck horribly. Ignoring the fact that they don't cover lost/stolen devices or devices that have been immersed in water (considered how vague that exclusion is, and how hard it would be for them to tell the difference in water damage from being splashed and being dunked, I'm guess you'll have an uphill battle getting any water damage covered). If you attempt to file a claim they WILL attempt to fix it first. Which means sending it off somewhere to sit on a shelf for weeks before a tech even looks a the thing. Only if the tech decides he can't fix it will you get a replacement, which is probably refurbished. If the tech thinks he's fixed it they'll send it back. I say think because if the problem is intermittent it's quite likely the tech will simply not notice the player is still broken.

If you can still cancel the service plan, you're better off getting you're money back. Honestly, extended warranties aren't worth the money. By their very nature you HAVE to get less financial benefit out of them then they cost, period. In order for the guy selling the warranty to make a profit you have to be on the losing end of the deal. Stick some money in the back to put towards a replacement, or you're next device if all goes well. If you still feel better with some kind of coverage, you should be able to get covered by Square Trade, or other 3rd party companies.

I agree. Basically, that company sucks as a whole.
I HAD to get an extended warranty because I hard bricked my first Player, and when I try BB to "honor" their warranty, they told me I have 2 options, either send the device to Samsung and wait weeks for a new device to arrive, or they could make an exception for me if I pay $65 to get an Extended Warranty.
I payed them, they got me a new device and I still have a little less than a year of this bullcrap warranty left.

I was SO GLAD when I read BB have to close stores down across the country due to weak profits. I hope they will do much worse over time. </end rant>

euph_22

Oct 28, 2009
I've actually had great experiences buying phones from them. I was able to get my razr for $100 less than what Verizon was selling it for. Before that I'd gotten the Droid incredible for $50 off, and a full three Weeks sooner than I would have gotten it from Verizon (Verizon was backordered a full month at that point). My gf got her Maxx for $150 from best buy, and got it 2 days later (versus atleast 2 Weeks).

That being said, their service is terrible, and I won't let the geek squad do any work for me if they were paying me their exorbitant labor rates. On the plus side, I was able to spend an hour and a half playing keyboards and guitars without a single employee acknowledging my existence. In my book that's s huge improvement from when their sales floor were on commission.

j21098

Apr 9, 2012
houston
I agree. Basically, that company sucks as a whole.
I HAD to get an extended warranty because I hard bricked my first Player, and when I try BB to "honor" their warranty, they told me I have 2 options, either send the device to Samsung and wait weeks for a new device to arrive, or they could make an exception for me if I pay $65 to get an Extended Warranty.
I payed them, they got me a new device and I still have a little less than a year of this bullcrap warranty left.

I was SO GLAD when I read BB have to close stores down across the country due to weak profits. I hope they will do much worse over time. </end rant>

When I buy the warranty at bestbuy and I take it back they just ask me what's wrong with it and I just say it doesn't work and they give me two choices a full refund in a gift card or an exchange for one on their shelf and they send of the other

infinitelink

Jan 17, 2012
Contribution to the BB Tangent

I hate to add to the Best Buy meme on an Android forum, but thought it might be helpful in an ancillary way: I have a buddy who worked for the Geek Squad for years, him having a large amount of contracting experience through family (all the while he grew up) and about as much with electronics, so he built entertainment systems, did tv mounts, and was "the solutions guy" for customers who called with special needs and projects: was paid well too. (I despise them as much as anyone for exhorbitant pricing!)

He buys his laptops there still, because of the warranties (and perhaps a good credit line): he's that big clumsy oaf who will drop something a bunch, and thus far they have honored warranties even for drops that crack screens; he also seems to have that "luck" of laptops dying...one to three months before a warranty runs out (and he really isn't the type to kill one just to get another new--close enough, in fact, that he tells me about anything shady he does, and breaking laptops on purpose to take advantage of warranties isn't among things he'll do), and despite this having happened multiple times, they have honored those warranties: usually with newer model replacement computers too.

So depending on the store and terms, sometimes it can be worth looking into Best Buy: read everything carefully and compare. If you're paranoid about bad things happening to your devices, or have reason to believe something probably will. Or you can do like me, and talk the Lenovo reps 1200+ dollars off of the normal pricing, and then push beyond their lowest deals by explaining the problems with unclear marketing and deal offers, and then convince them to throw in a few upgrades for free. : D And insure elsewhere. Maybe I'll keep this in mind, however, and get his advice for you, if the guy isn't too busy right now.

Happy purchases.

shubham412302

Apr 29, 2012
I dont think rooting voids warranty..
As my s plus was repaired under warranty when i was on custom rom....

Sent from my GT-I9001 using xda premium

tytanium8

Mar 31, 2010
What I'm asking is, will rooting void Samsung's warranty, or the 2 year extended warranty from Best Buy, or both? Cause I really wanna test CM9 for this. But I have Best Buy's 2 year extended warranty.

I have a Galaxy S3 with protection plan from Best Buy ($10 a month) with sprint service and I recently bricked my phone. I went to Best Buy and they was able to give me a new GS3 (refurbished) in about three days. With a $50 deposit I received a loaner phone (lower grade but still an android smartphone). My $50 was refunded at the return of the loaner phone. So I would say ROOT ROOT ROOT!!! it is so worth it! Why not experience the full features of your device? Just for the record....Best Buy's geek squad does not fix the phones on location in most cases so your phone has to be sent out. The way their company works is, as soon as your phone is in their computer system the factory sends out the refurbished phone. So in all actuality they never see your phone until your at home rooting the new one.....you are very welcome!

Aug 10, 2014
Rooting doesn't void your warranty

Rooting does not void your warranty. I rooted my phone and bricked it. i have a Metro PCS galaxy mega 6.3. I called Samsung and informed them that i bout it second hand like this and i want it back to normal. They told me it is still under warranty and they will email me shipping labels. They fixed everything for free. I complained before they sent it back that Samsung's website says my Phone should have Kit Kat. So I told them that is false advertisement and that is wrong lol. Everyone on the internet says they only have gingerbread. Metro Pcs is the red headed step child of the mobile industry so they didn’t get the over the air update. I complained about this to Samsung and they informed me that they will be upgrading my Mega with Kit Kat. Don’t believe everything you see on the internet.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

So if i drop it and the screen cracks and its rooted with stock rom will i still be covered under bestbuy warranty or will i have to unroot

I would unroot it first, Odin does that.