[Q] How to update from 4.1.2 custom rom to 4.2.2 or higher

Search This thread

adam2010

Jun 6, 2010
Hi Everyone,

I do know how to flash a new rom however I had issues flashing from stock 4.1.2 to custom 4.2.2 before (device wouldn't pass the boot screen). So do I have to be on a specific 4.1.2 rom to upgrade or I need to upgrade to a stock 4.2.2 first and then upgrade to a custom one?

Please recommend a fast 4.2.2 custom rom. I would like to keep dual sim feature if possible although I know most roms only support single sim.

My current rom info:
Baseband: I9082XXAMC4

Thanks in advance.

raghavsharmaxda

Dec 14, 2013
mumbai
Hi Everyone,

I do know how to flash a new rom however I had issues flashing from stock 4.1.2 to custom 4.2.2 before (device wouldn't pass the boot screen). So do I have to be on a specific 4.1.2 rom to upgrade or I need to upgrade to a stock 4.2.2 first and then upgrade to a custom one?

Please recommend a fast 4.2.2 custom rom. I would like to keep dual sim feature if possible although I know most roms only support single sim.

My current rom info:

Thanks in advance.

simple one line if want dual sim,(stock based roms only)..u can install stock rom 4.2.2....or balliboxers GENNXT rom based on latest firmware...
NOTE: RAM USAGE OF STOCK AND STOCK BASED ROMS IS HIGH....SO LESSER MULTITASKS HANDLES!

if u can compromise with dual sim ..then u can install slimbean roms...(as u mentioned u want lightest and fastest)... but as they are small and fast, they dont have many extra feature lik halo..bt are lightweight..less ram usage...

bt i wonder why u want 4.2.2 rom when u can installl latest kitkat 4.4.2 (cm11,slimkat rom, carbon rom)..
they all are kitkat roms..........
with cm being a base rom for every rom and a light good rom...so is slimkat...and carbon with good future updates including halo features....
if u still wanna stick to 4.2.2 ....then u got slimbean rom...cm rom....(both dont have halo feature),.bt light...or u cn have PAC,resurrection remix rom(for halo multitasking)...

(gaming is better on kitkat roms)

its all ur choice....
if u want any qsns u can :)..
hope i helped :)..

Reactions: lary.a.laluan

adam2010

Jun 6, 2010
simple one line if want dual sim,(stock based roms only)..u can install stock rom 4.2.2....or balliboxers GENNXT rom based on latest firmware...
NOTE: RAM USAGE OF STOCK AND STOCK BASED ROMS IS HIGH....SO LESSER MULTITASKS HANDLES!

if u can compromise with dual sim ..then u can install slimbean roms...(as u mentioned u want lightest and fastest)... but as they are small and fast, they dont have many extra feature lik halo..bt are lightweight..less ram usage...

bt i wonder why u want 4.2.2 rom when u can installl latest kitkat 4.4.2 (cm11,slimkat rom, carbon rom)..
with cm being a base rom for every rom and a light good rom...so is slimkat...and carbon with good future updates including halo features....
if u still wanna stick to 4.2.2 ....then u got slimbean rom...cm rom....(both dont have halo feature),.bt light...or u cn have PAC,resurrection remix rom(for halo multitasking)...

its all ur choice....

First of all, thanks for your awesome reply ;)

Basically I'm on stock rom without useless Samsung apps. Instructions for Pac/resurrection says I need to be on stock rom in order to upgrade to 4.2.2. So am I ok to flash their rom or first install a stock rom?

You mentioned kitkat roms are better and I agree, however based on instructions I need to be on 4.2.2 first before upgrading :eek:

Which recovery is the best for making nandroid backups? clockworkmod seems to have issues occasionally creating bad backups.

Kitkat roms seems to have app2sd enabled by default, right? and no issues with Xposed framework modules?

raghavsharmaxda

Dec 14, 2013
mumbai
First of all, thanks for your awesome reply ;)

Basically I'm on stock rom without useless Samsung apps. Instructions for Pac/resurrection says I need to be on stock rom in order to upgrade to 4.2.2. So am I ok to flash their rom or first install a stock rom?

You mentioned kitkat roms are better and I agree, however based on instructions I need to be on 4.2.2 first before upgrading :eek:

Which recovery is the best for making nandroid backups? clockworkmod seems to have issues occasionally creating bad backups.

Kitkat roms seems to have app2sd enabled by default, right? and no issues with Xposed framework modules?

xposed is working fine on dalvik runtime(as google introduced new runtime with 4.4 named ART ,WHICH CONSUMES LESS RAM, BUT IS UNSTABLE)...
when they say that u need to be on stock ROM 4.1.2 , they actually mean the 4.1.2 bootloader..so its okat if u are on GENNXT ROM...stock..abit modified stock 4.1.2...(they specifically mean that if u want 4.2.2 rom, be on 4.1.2 bootloader...and if u want kitkat rom..then be on 4.2.2 rom(any stock based 4.2.2 rom like gennxt or slight modifyd 4.2.2 will do , as all they need is 4.2.2 bootloader for kk roms to work)...if u want kitkat rom.....be on stock based rom..which are touchwiz based roms of 4.2.2)....
so flash 4.2.2 rom by odin..and den install kitkat...if u face any problem ....just pm me :)...and ya..
always do wipe cache,dalvikcache and data(if told) , whenever u flash anything(before and after flashing)... u can ask any qsna u wanna ask..hope i helped.:)

IdenTT

Oct 19, 2012
xposed is working fine on dalvik runtime(as google introduced new runtime with 4.4 named ART ,WHICH CONSUMES LESS RAM, BUT IS UNSTABLE)...
when they say that u need to be on stock ROM 4.1.2 , they actually mean the 4.1.2 bootloader..so its okat if u are on GENNXT ROM...stock..abit modified stock 4.1.2...(they specifically mean that if u want 4.2.2 rom, be on 4.1.2 bootloader...and if u want kitkat rom..then be on 4.2.2 rom(any stock based 4.2.2 rom like gennxt or slight modifyd 4.2.2 will do , as all they need is 4.2.2 bootloader for kk roms to work)...if u want kitkat rom.....be on stock based rom..which are touchwiz based roms of 4.2.2)....
so flash 4.2.2 rom by odin..and den install kitkat...if u face any problem ....just pm me :)...and ya..
always do wipe cache,dalvikcache and data(if told) , whenever u flash anything(before and after flashing)... u can ask any qsna u wanna ask..hope i helped.:)

one question from my side as well.
I am on stock rooted 4.1.2 rom and I want to upgrade to stock 4.2.2 rom. what would be the best method?
can I install 4.2.2 latest version by flashing via odin directly or do I need to unroot first?
or it will be automatically unrooted when I install 4.2.2(stock) latest over my 4.1.2(stock) by odin?
I hope you got my question.

Sent from my GT-I9082

Sent from my GT-I9082

haree

Sep 13, 2008
CHENNAI
one question from my side as well.
I am on stock rooted 4.1.2 rom and I want to upgrade to stock 4.2.2 rom. what would be the best method?
can I install 4.2.2 latest version by flashing via odin directly or do I need to unroot first?
or it will be automatically unrooted when I install 4.2.2(stock) latest over my 4.1.2(stock) by odin?
I hope you got my question.

Sent from my GT-I9082

Sent from my GT-I9082
hi
if u flash the 4.2.2 via odin the root will go and u will be on stock 4.2.2
to my knowledge u dont need to un root just flash via odin and u should be good to go any one do correct me if im wrong this is based on what i read on samsung roms im on stock 4.2.2 which came with my phone i got a week back:laugh:

IdenTT

Oct 19, 2012
hi
if u flash the 4.2.2 via odin the root will go and u will be on stock 4.2.2
to my knowledge u dont need to un root just flash via odin and u should be good to go any one do correct me if im wrong this is based on what i read on samsung roms im on stock 4.2.2 which came with my phone i got a week back:laugh:

currently I am on 4.1.2 stock. can I upgrade to the latest version of 4.2.2 available on s@mfirmware vai odin? you seems doubtful too. I am waiting for more replies..

Sent from my GT-I9082

haree

Sep 13, 2008
CHENNAI
currently I am on 4.1.2 stock. can I upgrade to the latest version of 4.2.2 available on s@mfirmware vai odin? you seems doubtful too. I am waiting for more replies..

Sent from my GT-I9082
hi
dear in just being cautious thats all i had a samsung phone long time back and i have used odin to flash back stock rom and had no problems asuming things are the same i have given u info based on my exp right now i have a new grand and i have not rooted added CWM and i dont have exp with the grand

based on my previous exp if u know how to use the odin properly it should not be a problem

raghavsharmaxda

Dec 14, 2013
mumbai

Sent from my GT-I9082

yea..u just directly flash rom via odin....using odin and flashing a firmware official removes root and any other custom recoveries......so ur phone will be unrooted...and u have to root again if u wanna do something lets say TWEAKS :p
Hope i helped!
there is a thread specifically by chotu222 on how to root /install firmwares.....u can go in dat section and search a bit too!

Reactions: haree

adam2010

Jun 6, 2010
yea..u just directly flash rom via odin....using odin and flashing a firmware official removes root and any other custom recoveries......so ur phone will be unrooted...and u have to root again if u wanna do something lets say TWEAKS :p
Hope i helped!
there is a thread specifically by chotu222 on how to root /install firmwares.....u can go in dat section and search a bit too!

I finally got the chance to upgrade to stock 4.2.2 via odin and gaining root again. However I was unable to install kitkat. Even though I wiped cache and did factory reset, boot didn't pass the samsung logo. I still have 2 sim support, is it worthed to install kitkat? According to your previous instructions, I needed to be on 4.2.2 base in order to upgrade to kitkat. What would you suggest in my case :eek:

Thanks

skpadhi79

Nov 21, 2013
Bhubaneswar
I finally got the chance to upgrade to stock 4.2.2 via odin and gaining root again. However I was unable to install kitkat. Even though I wiped cache and did factory reset, boot didn't pass the samsung logo. I still have 2 sim support, is it worthed to install kitkat? According to your previous instructions, I needed to be on 4.2.2 base in order to upgrade to kitkat. What would you suggest in my case :eek:

Thanks

Bro u need to be on cwm with selinux suport..just refer to the OPs of CM 11 rom.......another thing did u format system before flashing kitkat roms...instructions are very clearly written in the respective OPs bro.......u shud be able to flash these without any issues...........

Reactions: adam2010

raghavsharmaxda

Dec 14, 2013
mumbai

Thanks

I am a heavy gamer and performancive device addict..
Kitkat dont have any fancy samsung stuffs bro..bt its all system files are of kitkat so the gaming performance is alot increased.. All game bugs are almost fix which were in 4.2.2......there is work around for every thing..
I mean..think about it..
I never use smart stay...
I nor did use much of live wallpapers as they were battery consuming..the lock screen was fancy but still lets face truth that its just meant for security/unlocking screen :p...u will have to compromise with single sim and non fancy apps :p..
But it does worth a try..i mean why not :p :D... Give it a shot and i am sure u will find something unique about it...
It got its own features..so ya...its ur wish..there are also downsides of it .....u can check respective threads and know more..
Hope i helped :)

Sent from my GT-I9082 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: adam2010

adam2010

Jun 6, 2010
Kitkat dont have any fancy samsung stuffs bro..bt its all system files are of kitkat so the gaming performance is alot increased.. All game bugs are almost fix which were in 4.2.2......there is work around for every thing..
I mean..think about it..
I nor did use much of live wallpapers as they were battery consuming..the lock screen was fancy but still lets face truth that its just meant for security/unlocking screen :p...u will have to compromise with single sim and non fancy apps :p..
But it does worth a try..i mean why not :p :D... Give it a shot and i am sure u will find something unique about it...
It got its own features..so ya...its ur wish..there are also downsides of it .....u can check respective threads and know more..

Ok bro, I installed selinux cmw recovery... downloaded CM11... I noticed CM is about 200mb comparing to 1 GB stock 4.2.2. Does that mean I will get more free space on internal sdcard? (out of 4GB I mean)...as others suggested, I need to do full wipe/reset factory and manually format system? and if update wasnt successful I can go back to stock via Odin right? :D

##W4TCH0UT##

Oct 7, 2013
\\___TheMiddleOfNowhere___//
Ok bro, I installed selinux cmw recovery... downloaded CM11... I noticed CM is about 200mb comparing to 1 GB stock 4.2.2. Does that mean I will get more free space on internal sdcard? (out of 4GB I mean)...as others suggested, I need to do full wipe/reset factory and manually format system? and if update wasnt successful I can go back to stock via Odin right? :D

You will get a little more space than stock ROMs. And you can go back to stock via ODIN

Sent from my GT-I9082 using Tapatalk Pro

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi Everyone,

My current rom info:

Thanks in advance.

its all ur choice....

Sent from my GT-I9082

Hope i helped!

Thanks

Bro u need to be on cwm with selinux suport..just refer to the OPs of CM 11 rom.......another thing did u format system before flashing kitkat roms...instructions are very clearly written in the respective OPs bro.......u shud be able to flash these without any issues...........

Thanks

I mean..think about it..

Ok I just flashed CM successfully :) thanks everyone.
    Thanks...........
    for saying Thanks, dude:p;)