[Q] Stuck in recovery. How to flash a rom from Fastboot USB?

Search This thread

Hackenstein

Aug 22, 2010
Hello All,

Looks like I got myself into a pickle with my DNA......

Right now the only two things I can access on the phone are the bootloader and CWM.

How I got here:

I went into CWM recovery and deleted/formatted everything (absolutely everything that could be deleted and/or formatted), thinking I could flash a radio/firmware upgrade, then the LiquidSmooth rom from adb/fastboot. Been a long time since I've worked with this phone and now all I got is the bootloader and CWM. Thought I could use adb to push the rom zip to the device, then go into recovery and flash it the right way, but when I go to fastboot on the device and use the push command in adb it tells me "error device not found".

Gonna stop right there and seek some advice. What's the best way to correct this mess?

Thanks ahead of time!

PS: Working with a DNA with an unlocked bootloader (S-ON), and it was running the stock rom before the first OTA update. I did make a backup file and save it to my PC before I did anything. But, now adb is suddenly not recognizing that the device is connected so I can't push any files to it.

Hackenstein

Aug 22, 2010
Tried to sideload in recovery?

Hmmm, I have not. Wasn't familiar with the term until now.

Actually just tried it and thought I was out of the woods. LiquidSmooth started to install, then failed/aborted. Here is a screen shot if someone can tell me what they can make of it:

DNA-CWM-Screen-Shot-01.jpg

Last edited:

Hackenstein

Aug 22, 2010
Hmmm, I have not. Wasn't familiar with the term until now.

Actually just tried it and thought I was out of the woods. LiquidSmooth started to install, then failed/aborted. Here is a screen shot if someone can tell me what they can make of it:

DNA-CWM-Screen-Shot-01.jpg

The problem with that turned out to be an outdated version of CWM. I updated it, only to find my phone would not get recognized in recovery by adb. Found that with the upgrade I also needed a driver upgrade which I took care of (after I had installed TWRP to test as well, just stuck with TWRP). Was able to flash rom (and it sucks). Looking for another one now that is more of a stock (de-bloated with perks, etc).

When I'm done there, should I run firewater to achieve S-OFF so I can update the radio as well, or is there a better way?

CHRIST STARZ

Jun 24, 2014
No os installed!!! Need help asap!!!!please

I hope im posting in the correct forum (forgive me if im not i mean no disrespect) im new to this rooting thing and made a choice the other day to root my htc dna thats currently on kit kat 4.4.2. I started out with clockworkmod and didnt like that so i then flashed twrp. The reason i didnt want to continue with clockworkmod is because i notice that there was some storage issues going on, i went to my settings and located my storage and saw that the other field was reading that over 13gb was being used up. I couldnt find out what the 13gb was so i started researching and found out that clockworkmod might have been having some issues with duplicating the os therefore taking up too much space. So what i did was try to flash the twrp thinking that would work and the storage was still being taken, so i started researching again and found out that i would need to do a factory reset and start all over....well when i did some how i erased the os as well now im stuck on the htc screen or i have the option of booting up into twrp but thats it.... I downloaded what i thought was the right ruu but thats not working i keep getting error 158....please somebody help me!!!!!!

RLGL

Nov 25, 2012
Stillwater
I hope im posting in the correct forum (forgive me if im not i mean no disrespect) im new to this rooting thing and made a choice the other day to root my htc dna thats currently on kit kat 4.4.2. I started out with clockworkmod and didnt like that so i then flashed twrp. The reason i didnt want to continue with clockworkmod is because i notice that there was some storage issues going on, i went to my settings and located my storage and saw that the other field was reading that over 13gb was being used up. I couldnt find out what the 13gb was so i started researching and found out that clockworkmod might have been having some issues with duplicating the os therefore taking up too much space. So what i did was try to flash the twrp thinking that would work and the storage was still being taken, so i started researching again and found out that i would need to do a factory reset and start all over....well when i did some how i erased the os as well now im stuck on the htc screen or i have the option of booting up into twrp but thats it.... I downloaded what i thought was the right ruu but thats not working i keep getting error 158....please somebody help me!!!!!!

There is a search feature to use for finding out how to recover from your mistakes.
Try searching for error 158.

santod040

Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Nov 7, 2008
NorCal
The problem with that turned out to be an outdated version of CWM. I updated it, only to find my phone would not get recognized in recovery by adb. Found that with the upgrade I also needed a driver upgrade which I took care of (after I had installed TWRP to test as well, just stuck with TWRP). Was able to flash rom (and it sucks). Looking for another one now that is more of a stock (de-bloated with perks, etc).

When I'm done there, should I run firewater to achieve S-OFF so I can update the radio as well, or is there a better way?

Just for future reference, if you care to allow the dev community to thrive.
Don't use terms like "it sucks".
Maybe..., I don't like it,....or, I didn't care for it,....or it's not what I wanted, or needed, etc,..
But to know little about Android, and then to say that someone elses hard work sucks, is what makes devs say forget it and stop providing their free services to the community.
Just thought I'd point that out.
You can think I suck for saying so, but I'm honestly just trying to help you and the community by letting you know what impact users comments can have on Devs motivation to provide these things in their free time, with nothing in return.
Take it or leave it. Hope you find what suits you.

tat2me2

Nov 26, 2007
Gravois Mills
Maybe..., I don't like it,....or, I didn't care for it,....or it's not what I wanted, or needed, etc,..
But to know little about Android, and then to say that someone elses hard work sucks, is what makes devs say forget it and stop providing their free services to the community.
You can think I suck for saying so, but I'm honestly just trying to help you and the community by letting you know what impact users comments can have on Devs motivation to provide these things in their free time, with nothing in return.

Well Said, and on that note, DEVS - I do appreciate all info that I receive here, whether it's from searching/reading or when a question gets answered. Thanks for all you do!!!

tat

Hackenstein

Aug 22, 2010

I really love the fact that so many came in to actually ANSWER my question(s) and give relevant info on the issues I was experiencing (heavy sarcasm obviously). Ironic that only when I took a jab at someone's work (out of frustration) that the thread became active with people only sounding off on that issue, still ignoring the original problems I brought to the table. Top notch support!!!!!!

With that out of the way, to santod040; please accept my apology. I said that out of complete frustration and it was totally unecessary. Contrary to the negative vibes that comment conveyed, I DO appreciate all the devs hard work and allow me to publicly thank you for that. It was bad night of troubleshooting for me as I've been out of the loop for quite sometime and was rusty in several areas. Adding to that was the complete lack of helpful info I was finding not only on this site but several others. Kept going in circles and getting no where.

It is extremely important I point out that out of five different ROM's I tried to install via sideload, your's is the ONLY one that actually worked and in the end, I went back to it as it allowed me to finally boot into Android and enable USB debugging and help get the S-OFF process started via Firewater. Conclusively, I was finally able to get the baseband upgraded and get the phone fully up to date. So, thank you, wholeheartedly, and I apologize again for letting my stress get the better of me that night. LiquidSmooth saved my ass.

Cheers, my friend, and thanks again.

CHRIST STARZ

Jun 24, 2014
I can help if your s-off

the problem with that turned out to be an outdated version of cwm. I updated it, only to find my phone would not get recognized in recovery by adb. Found that with the upgrade i also needed a driver upgrade which i took care of (after i had installed twrp to test as well, just stuck with twrp). Was able to flash rom (and it sucks). Looking for another one now that is more of a stock (de-bloated with perks, etc).

When i'm done there, should i run firewater to achieve s-off so i can update the radio as well, or is there a better way?

if your s-off i have a method that will help you .....have you switched to s-off?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.