[Q] Trying to charge a Galaxy Note 2014 with a MediaBridge 12v charger

Search This thread

CaptNorm

Dec 10, 2013
I bought a black dual port MediaBridge 2.4 and 1.0 amp charger. Does not charge above .5 amps. Learned, need white one, for Android that has data wires shorted, bought one. It also doesn't charge over .5 amps (even though tablet roughly 25% charged). Using short white charging cable that came with tablet. Did lots of amp, volt, ohm testing to find lightning bolt doesn't get displayed on the tab, even though plugged into the 2.4 amp port. Called MediaBridge, they say "some android tabs are incompatible", but didn't list 2014 as one of them.

Found MB has shorted data wires, just like the Sammy wall charger. See 5.11 volts dc going into tablet (get 5.36 in wall charger, but think 5.11 is not a problem). Got a short microUSB extension cable, dug out the red wire, cut it. Placed amp meter inline so I can measure amps going thru cable. With MB, I see around .45 amps, with Sammy wall charger, I see about 1.35 amps and of course lightning bolt is displayed. Tried another cheapy coiled 12 volt charger to find .45 amps flowing and displays the lightning bolt (charges the battery, though very slowly).

I prefer not returning this charger and would like to try to get it working. Does anyone else have a MediaBridge that works? Does anyone know of other things I can try to make this charge around 2 amps?

Thanks

SallyChen

Aug 25, 2014
www.fishgaga.com
I bought a black dual port MediaBridge 2.4 and 1.0 amp charger. Does not charge above .5 amps. Learned, need white one, for Android that has data wires shorted, bought one. It also doesn't charge over .5 amps (even though tablet roughly 25% charged). Using short white charging cable that came with tablet. Did lots of amp, volt, ohm testing to find lightning bolt doesn't get displayed on the tab, even though plugged into the 2.4 amp port. Called MediaBridge, they say "some android tabs are incompatible", but didn't list 2014 as one of them.

Found MB has shorted data wires, just like the Sammy wall charger. See 5.11 volts dc going into tablet (get 5.36 in wall charger, but think 5.11 is not a problem). Got a short microUSB extension cable, dug out the red wire, cut it. Placed amp meter inline so I can measure amps going thru cable. With MB, I see around .45 amps, with Sammy wall charger, I see about 1.35 amps and of course lightning bolt is displayed. Tried another cheapy coiled 12 volt charger to find .45 amps flowing and displays the lightning bolt (charges the battery, though very slowly).

I prefer not returning this charger and would like to try to get it working. Does anyone else have a MediaBridge that works? Does anyone know of other things I can try to make this charge around 2 amps?

Thanks
Data wires is very important for any charging process . Some Chinese cottage small factories, manufacturing low-quality data lines, using a very thin copper as cables which can flow a limited current. Of course, there are high quality factories in china, such as Foxconn.

lecorbusier

Nov 28, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S5
LG G6
I had until recently a 1*2/2*1A charger with an output of 4.9x V,using a cable with the "wrong" wiring, no problem. I think Samsung needs an Apple compatible charger, all mine are, at least for the 2A mode, but there should be a standard 900mA fallback option as well, or even standard 1,5 A, but I never tried a 1A charger to prove that.
There are usb compatibility adapters for Apple devices,that fit between charger and cable, on the usb side, of course.

Last edited: