[ROM] OaT's Light n Tasty: DISCONTINUED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

O.a.T.

Jul 12, 2009
What are the "audio/headphone issues" you mentioned in todays news?

When plugging in headphones, to an already playing movie or music, you could not hear the sound. The workaround has been to plug in earphones before starting the media. There is also something about the audio stopping if the device goes to sleep and excessive crackling sounds at high volumes.

I need to really sit down and test these out on last night's build to see if they are fixed or if it was just too late and I was just too tired.

Reactions: swear0730

LinuxNewb

Jul 21, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
Personally I wasn't thrilled with Cornerstone and that's one of the main reasons I came to this ROM. I found that things didn't scale too well and if you wanted to launch another instance of the app it won't allow you to do so (limitation of the current build).

If there was a way to enlarge different cornerstone windows and then minimize it back to the way it's supposed to be then it'd be cool.

Last edited:

dung8604

Sep 8, 2010
For people (like me) that also use the tablet for academics- reading books and taking notes from the books- Cornerstone is a godsend. I have the ebook open in one window and can type in my notes on Evernote in another window. No more clumsy switching between apps :thumbup:

Sent from my Motorola Triumph using Tapatalk 2

Does the "webOS-like" mod not work well for this? I haven't tried cornerstone, so I don't really know.

O.a.T.

Jul 12, 2009
Does the "webOS-like" mod not work well for this? I haven't tried cornerstone, so I don't really know.

My understanding of the "webOS-like" mod is that it is just a different presentation of the "recent apps" manager found in android. Cornerstone appears to offer true multitasking between the windows, e.g., copy and paste from concurrently open windows or advancing a song in a playlist while browsing. Don't really know how well that works as I've mostly been trying to get past some of it's boot/wifi peculiarities.

webdroidmt

Dec 20, 2011
NJ
Always good to be open to new things. Regarding Cornerstone, I tried it for a short while about a month ago and thought it was really cool. The multi-tasking and it's similarity to WebOs card flipping makes it even more appealing. However, I had it installed for a short time because it was very unstable for me.

I don't keep up with antiphon's thread, so I don't know how much improvement has been made with it. If it's anything like when I previously tried it, I would not use it. Anyway, just my two cents. Thanks.

Btw, don't know if you're already aware but there was a new gapps (0422) released yesterday.
http://goo.im/gapps/

Mike T

O.a.T.

Jul 12, 2009
When plugging in headphones, to an already playing movie or music, you could not hear the sound. The workaround has been to plug in earphones before starting the media. There is also something about the audio stopping if the device goes to sleep and excessive crackling sounds at high volumes.

I need to really sit down and test these out on last night's build to see if they are fixed or if it was just too late and I was just too tired.

Problem of plugging in headphones while media is playing and not being able to hear persists. Workaround still works.

Audio, using headphones or tablet speakers, is fine when display turns off/goes to sleep.

Crackling sounds on headphones at the highest volumes still exists. Lowering the volume a couple notches still works to eliminate crackling.

Last edited:

viskon

May 4, 2011

To build on what OaT said, the webos mod changes the swipe left-to-close motion to swipe up-to-close the app. You still have to manually switch between apps. With Cornerstone, you can have three apps running simutaneously in the different windows- no app switching needed.

sheedatali

Jan 20, 2011
Any ideas on when the WiFi driver that fixes the issue might be incorporated in your ROM? I need to take my TP abroad in couple of days. Hoping to have a fix before that..

O.a.T.

Jul 12, 2009
IMHO, other than a novelty I really don't see cornerstone as a positive addition. To me it seems to get away from the LnT concept and possibly opens the door to incompatibilities. Just my to $.02

That would be wonderful!!! I am currently using antiphon's rom and I swear it is awesome. Being unable to connect to wifi after reboot is the biggest irritant on that rom. I would love the legendary reliability of LnT with the awesomeness of Cornerstone.

Edit: I was secretly hoping you would take this up.

For people (like me) that also use the tablet for academics- reading books and taking notes from the books- Cornerstone is a godsend. I have the ebook open in one window and can type in my notes on Evernote in another window. No more clumsy switching between apps :thumbup:

Personally I wasn't thrilled with Cornerstone and that's one of the main reasons I came to this ROM. I found that things didn't scale too well and if you wanted to launch another instance of the app it won't allow you to do so (limitation of the current build).

If there was a way to enlarge different cornerstone windows and then minimize it back to the way it's supposed to be then it'd be cool.

Always good to be open to new things. Regarding Cornerstone, I tried it for a short while about a month ago and thought it was really cool. The multi-tasking and it's similarity to WebOs card flipping makes it even more appealing. However, I had it installed for a short time because it was very unstable for me.

I don't keep up with antiphon's thread, so I don't know how much improvement has been made with it. If it's anything like when I previously tried it, I would not use it. Anyway, just my two cents. Thanks.

Mike T

Well, been exercising LNT + cornerstone for the last couple of hours and have to admit I'm liking it. I seem to have found a workaround to it's boot/wifi peculiarities by simply having the TP start up without launching cornerstone on bootup. Then if I want to "parallel process", I initiate cornerstone to say peruse my email in one window while updating my apps via google play in another window, all while browsing my favorite websites in the third window (see pic below). I agree it would be nice to be able to expand/shrink a window at will, but still quite useful in this context. Since booting without automatically launching cornerstone, I have not experienced any stability problems including blank screens, loosing links, etc. The icons do become a bit distorted in the various windows, but IMO, acceptable for the capability it provides.

Finally, in terms of the LNT philosophy, 1) the size of the zipped rom is only a few hundred kb's different in size, 2) without launching cornerstone on bootup the available memory is virtually the same on LNT and LNT + cornerstone, 3) upon killing cornerstone, memory is returned to the system as good as when killing any other android app, and 4) it's difficult for me to see how cornerstone could be provided as an apk thru say google play; currently a somewhat deeper integration with android is necessary.

After some more testing on my part, I'm thinking of making this available to my testers who provided me feedback during my first round of LNT testing. I also may open it up to a few additional testers to get a better sampling of perspectives if a significant number of those prefer not to test and provide feedback at this time, which I completely understand.

P.S. This all seems to be working well with Go Launcher HD.

Attachments

• LNT+CStone_1.jpg
    LNT+CStone_1.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:

O.a.T.

Jul 12, 2009
Just flashed both version A and B, my WiFi does not connect. It fails with Authentication Error.

You need to provide more detail in terms of what rom(s) you are coming from, and what type of wipes/formats you did prior to flashing LnT. Also, what history you've had with other roms and wifi might prove useful.

O.a.T.

Jul 12, 2009
Any ideas on when the WiFi driver that fixes the issue might be incorporated in your ROM? I need to take my TP abroad in couple of days. Hoping to have a fix before that..

Version B has the ath6kl wifi drivers that help many in it already. The only thing that version is sacrificing is a somewhat older (but apparently faster) kernel.

sheedatali

Jan 20, 2011
Sure, Here is the sequence of events

1 .CM 7 ( 3.5 ) => WiFi worked
2. ( Wipe Data/Factory, Cache Dalvik Reset )
3. Classic NERD Latest => WiFi worked very first time, not again after first sleep
4. Supreme Mod + ( Wipe Dalvik ) => No WiFi
5. ( Wipe Data/Factory, Cache Dalvik Reset )
6. Oat Ver A => No WiFi
7. ( Wipe Data/Factory, Cache Dalvik Reset )
8. Oat Ver B => No WiFi

It does not seem to work at all now. Scans and shows my WiFi network but does not connect, fails on Authentication Problem.

O.a.T.

Jul 12, 2009
Sure, Here is the sequence of events

1 .CM 7 ( 3.5 ) => WiFi worked
2. ( Wipe Data/Factory, Cache Dalvik Reset )
3. Classic NERD Latest => WiFi worked very first time, not again after first sleep
4. Supreme Mod + ( Wipe Dalvik ) => No WiFi
5. ( Wipe Data/Factory, Cache Dalvik Reset )
6. Oat Ver A => No WiFi
7. ( Wipe Data/Factory, Cache Dalvik Reset )
8. Oat Ver B => No WiFi

It does not seem to work at all now. Scans and shows my WiFi network but does not connect, fails on Authentication Problem.

Well, the first thing I would suggest is cleaning your boot partition since you've been using CN. I believe they have a boot partition cleaner that can be flashed via CWM, but I don't know what state it returns your boot partition to. Then I suggest a complete set of wipes/formats under CWM including...

wipe data/factory reset
wipe cache partition
advanced>>Wipe Dalvik Cache
mounts and storage>>format /cache
mounts and storage>>format /data
mounts and storage>>format /system

Then repeat the above cycle of wipes and formats again for good measure.

Then try flashing Version B.

If you still have problems, try downloading blade wifi fixer from the market and run that.

Otherwise, the only other thing I can suggest is to start from scratch with ACMEUninstall then ACMEInstaller2 followed by your favorite rom. But please beware that CM9/CM9-based roms, and AOKP, and CN all put different stuff on your boot partition, a very critical and limited resource.

Last edited:

viskon

May 4, 2011
After some more testing on my part, I'm thinking of making this available to my testers who provided me feedback during my first round of LNT testing. I also may open it up to a few additional testers to get a better sampling of perspectives if a significant number of those prefer not to test and provide feedback at this time, which I completely understand.

P.S. This all seems to be working well with Go Launcher HD.

I can be a tester if you want me.

Sent from my Viewsonic Gtab using Tapatalk 2

Setting it up so that you can launch Cornerstone and close it when not in use seems like the best of both worlds. I had thought it had to be always active, even when not in use.

That being the case I've changed my mind. Didn't matter tho, its your ROM and I support whatever you want to do with it.

Looking forward to the new version. Hopefully there are some cool changes in the new GApps and they work well with LnT.

nitrobg

Sep 3, 2011
Hello, O.a.T.
Is there any way to use this app's functionality - reverse tethering through USB (share internet connection from computer to tablet) on the Touchpad?
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.littlelan.ReverseTether.Paid&hl=en
I'm unable to connect to my laptop's hotspot - the connection drops after few seconds, so I'm looking for alternatives.

Also, I would like to vote for a version with Cornerstone, it looks great.

Thank you for this great ROM. Take care!

sheedatali

Jan 20, 2011
Well, the first thing I would suggest is cleaning your boot partition since you've been using CN. I believe they have a boot partition cleaner that can be flashed via CWM, but I don't know what state it returns your boot partition to. Then I suggest a complete set of wipes/formats under CWM including...

wipe data/factory reset
wipe cache partition
advanced>>Wipe Dalvik Cache
mounts and storage>>format /cache
mounts and storage>>format /data
mounts and storage>>format /system

Then repeat the above cycle of wipes and formats again for good measure.

Then try flashing Version B.

If you still have problems, try downloading blade wifi fixer from the market and run that.

Otherwise, the only other thing I can suggest is to start from scratch with ACMEUninstall then ACMEInstaller2 followed by your favorite rom. But please beware that CM9/CM9-based roms, and AOKP, and CN all put different stuff on your boot partition, a very critical and limited resource.

Thanks mate, I tried all of the above including ACMEUninstaller bit. Reflashed v B of rom. It does not fix the issue. My WiFi just won't connect. Works fine in WebOS and CM7. Bit disappointed because everything else seems to work great. My last ditch hope is to try CM9 nightly builds and see if it works.

somanshmittal

Jan 24, 2011
New Delhi
Hi O.a.T.
I must say that yours is by far THE BEST ROM I have tried on my TP. I never thought I would get such a stable ROM on the TP and was thinking of buying some other tablet in the future, but I have changed my mind. And as far as the 'bugs' are concerned, I think I can live with them. Keep up the good work! Amazing amazing ROM. The best part, it does what it says- Light and Tasty!!!! All the best for future updates!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Background
    As a bit of background, I publicly posted ROMs on PPCGeeks for the HTC Touch w/WinMo several years ago. Since then, I continue to develop ROMs primarily for family and friends on the EVO4G, LG Optimus, Acer A500, and of course the HP TouchPad. After an initial testing period by a group of volunteers here at XDA (thank you, thank you, thank you), I have decided to publicly release this ROM. I hope you enjoy it.

Philosophy and Acknowledgements
    My emphasis has always been on a very light and fast ROM that leaves plenty of room for one's own apps and customizations. My HP TouchPad ROM is based on a very stripped down KANG of the latest CM9 version (big thanks to Dalingrin, JCSullins, and all the other TPad devs that have brought this capability to us) that supports HW Video (meaning Netflix and HD YouTube) and all the other goodies you have come to know and love.

In addition there are also a few other treats thrown in, primarily,
    • the recently released QualComm adreno 2xx drivers,
    • the init.d tweaks published by Rohan,
    • the new ath6kl wifi drivers being incorporated into the 3.0 kernel,
    • the new HD Tablet launcher by the "Go" folks.

Big thanks to all the folks associated with these for their generosity in publicly providing these tweaks. Finally, I also employ a very stripped down version of the latest version of GApps that I will also link to. You can use the full version of GApps found elsewhere, but that will then somewhat defeat the intent of this ROM. The attached pics will give you some idea of what to expect. The benchmarks are all "typical" of the results I get on a non-overclocked CPU running at ~1.2GHz.

Updates
    In terms of updates, I actually build the ROM and the kernel almost on a daily basis so my older AMD quadcore isn't tortured with having to handle an extraordinary number of new commits. But that doesn't mean I flash almost daily. It all depends on what looks significant, if I really want to try something new, or if I'm just bored :eek:. You can find out what's new in the below "News" section of this OP to find out what's the latest on my front.

Flashing and .apk's
    Of course, all the standard cautions about doing the necessary backups (nandroids, titanium, or my backup) and the requirement for a complete set of wipes/formats (data, cache, system, dalvik) apply. Actually, I only find it necessary to wipe cache and dalvik between flashes of my own ROM. I also flash Gapps anew after each ROM flash. If you like experimenting with the other available ROMs, I advise a complete set of wipes and formats. And of course, you are flashing at your own risk.

Any .apk's included below need to be placed in the system/app directory with a rooted file manager, e.g. es file explorer, ensuring the permissions are the same as other .apk's in that directory, followed by a reboot. Unless, otherwise noted.

News
    08/30/12
    • DISCONTINUED

Links
    OaT's "Light n Tasty" GApps:

OaT's "Light n Tasty" ROMs:
    Plan on posting "final" CM9-based LnT this weekend, including a new BEATS audio and a few other ROM refinements, this weekend. Then I'm just going to hunker down and try working with CM10. We'll see how that goes. :confused:
    JB & LnT Update (as I currently see it)

First, I am seeing a lot of activity on the repo as the JB packages are even now being readied and moved into the new tree. The process, I believe, is to "finish" up CM9 with a stable RC2 then fully concentrate on CM10. Since CM10 is a "minor" update (4.0.4 ->> 4.1.1) CM9 will ultimately be abandoned with only CM7 (Gingerbread - 2.X) and CM10 (4.x) being maintained (Honeycomb - 3.X was never publicly released). I don't know how long this will take; could be anywhere from a few weeks to several months, but it has been said that any device that was supported on CM9 will be supported on CM10. Of course, a lot of that will depend on the developers who have specifically contributed to the TPad to rebase their work as necessary.

In terms of updates to LnT, I'm planning one more update sometime this month and then I'll hunker down and wait for JB, as I'm guessing there will only be minor improvements to the current state. Of course, should something major/interesting show up (e.g. the camera) or I get bored :silly:, I will adapt. Finally, I've decided to not go the direct AOSP JB route and just wait for CM JB.

Bottom line, because of the quality of the Touch Pad developers, I firmly believe our lowly TPs will be one of the early recipients of a sleek new JB including some interesting capabilities, e.g. Google Now.
    LnT JB Posted Including LnT JB Gapps

Please read updated News section in OP. Links located in OP.
    When you compile?! The cm10 source are you going to release public? Or you wait jcsullins to released first?

I'll release when it's, IMO, daily-driver quality. That doesn't mean it will be completely bug free, but it must be useable for all basic tasks including browsing, email, music, video, and many of my "critical" apps.