[DEV] The project to port Android(froyo) on S8500 (8530)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

adfree

Jun 14, 2008
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4
Samsung Galaxy S22
Long time ago I've played with Tool from BenQ Poland... HWTP.
I can remember it shows some GPIOs... but it seems S8500 can not work...
Maybe few changes needed...

QXDM could be alternate Tool, you could log something...

But its Qualcomm part, so you have to be in Qualcomm Mode.

I'll search more infos... and poster later more.

Best Regards

loosa2k

Jan 28, 2008
If the LCD-Screen does not work, have u tried it on a TV-screen via component on output jack ? Maybe this works for any reason.. ?

shad0wboss

Oct 6, 2010
Genève
One thing i don't understand. Galaxy S and Wave have same hardware/same conpany/Super AMOLED..so i don't see a problem in porting androd to wave. Can't you just go and flash one of the samsung galaxy's bootloader and ROM? i'm not a dev so it's just a question i would like an answer to.

Also, what's the future of this phone, i'm planning on buying it today. Would it be possible to dual boot android? so that you can get rid of android whenever you want?

mkz14

Feb 17, 2011
One thing i don't understand. Galaxy S and Wave have same hardware/same conpany/Super AMOLED..so i don't see a problem in porting androd to wave. Can't you just go and flash one of the samsung galaxy's bootloader and ROM? i'm not a dev so it's just a question i would like an answer to.

Also, what's the future of this phone, i'm planning on buying it today. Would it be possible to dual boot android? so that you can get rid of android whenever you want?

Sadly there's no easy way to flash it into Android and get it workng fine right now, we hope there is soon. However, It is a very good phone, taking in account that the price is VERY low for it's capabilities I think is one of the bests choices so far right now (between the mobile phones that doesn't requires for force paying 3G).

It was 20€ for me, and I must say is one of the best choices I have ever made:)

yari-nl

Apr 4, 2011
hi everyone,
I just love the project and I wanna support but I'm not a progammer...
I hope you will have the first REAL(androbada) wave running android, but I have 2 questions..
1.How long will it take to make the first version? (estimated; days,weeks,moths?)
2.Is the lcd bug the only bug left?

Kind regards,
Yari

t0mm13b

Jan 4, 2011
Xiaomi Poco F1
hi everyone,
I just love the project and I wanna support but I'm not a progammer...
I hope you will have the first REAL(androbada) wave running android, but I have 2 questions..
1.How long will it take to make the first version? (estimated; days,weeks,moths?)
2.Is the lcd bug the only bug left?

Kind regards,
Yari

Those kind of words of support doesn't do poetic justice as the problems are big problems and by the sound of your posting its like you're pushing.... :rolleyes:

Have patience, sit back and watch the progress.... one step at a time ... :D

shad0wboss

Oct 6, 2010
Genève
Guys, not assuming the tasks as easy and already done.

First of all, oleg_k, adfree and mijoma works are not related to Androbada but their own hobby studies and they are kind to show us the progress of their studies. I don't think they want to be associate to Androbada work (and attitude...videos are not reality proof...).

Then, having the same SoC of Galaxy S, does not mean that the entire hardware/firmware mechanism is identical to Galaxy S. NAND,GPIO pins, drivers (particaully the fact, they will have to dump the firmware from the Bada drivers since they are not linux driver), etc. are still different

Third, this work seems to be at initial steps. It's impossible to estimate the time since they could find a showstopper that it requires many try-and-seek attemps to be solved. Or it could also receive a cease-and-desist from Samsung...nobody knows...

It's still better to have an Android handset that making developer/hackers pressure for this.

I understand what you mean but has anyone tried to flash a galaxy s ROM onto wave? just wondering lol :p

t0mm13b

Jan 4, 2011
Xiaomi Poco F1
Guys, not assuming the tasks as easy and already done.

First of all, oleg_k, adfree and mijoma works are not related to Androbada but their own hobby studies and they are kind to show us the progress of their studies. I don't think they want to be associate to Androbada work (and attitude...videos are not reality proof...).

Then, having the same SoC of Galaxy S, does not mean that the entire hardware/firmware mechanism is identical to Galaxy S. NAND,GPIO pins, drivers (particaully the fact, they will have to dump the firmware from the Bada drivers since they are not linux driver), etc. are still different

Third, this work seems to be at initial steps. It's impossible to estimate the time since they could find a showstopper that it requires many try-and-seek attemps to be solved. Or it could also receive a cease-and-desist from Samsung...nobody knows...

It's still better to have an Android handset that making developer/hackers pressure for this.

nice one Dokugogagoji \o/

t0mm13b

Jan 4, 2011
Xiaomi Poco F1
Lets make it simple. Hardware is same on wave and galaxy S, either android's drivers are being used or bada's drivers are, the cpu should be just fine. I think those people couldn't keep up with drama so they had to close this and this was the most lamest reason to do so. One thing which is funny here is this:

BADA-Android-1.png
wave006.png

Sorry hardware is NOT the same on both handsets... check your facts first before firing off.. wave has flash on the camera, Galaxy S does not have flash, hardware buttons different, different chipset used for the wifi networking, bluetooth as well... oh and btw nand chipsets are different also :)

Oh and also, Froyo has theme-ing capability... but yeah, let's forget about androbada simple really...

Last edited:

oleg_k

Retired Recognized Developer
Dec 19, 2005
Moscow
Hi all)
This is my last config file,logs of booting kernel and video driver source.
screen is not visible,but work.Digitizer work.
Power driver is fake.
I don't understand,why not see the screen but
video driver is correct.

Attachments

• last_log.rar
    27.2 KB · Views: 80
  • source_video.rar
    38.7 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:

sabianadmin

Jul 30, 2009
Straffan
in the logs it says battery is empty... so is that the cause for black screen?

this is the line
aries_check_boot_low_battery: low battery detect. voltage=0, limit voltage=3430<LF><CR>

That does sound plausible but i highly doubt the developers would add a screen off if battery is < x function, the phone either turns it self off or simply dies if battery is too low.

nbates66

Apr 2, 2011
Launceston
oleg_k, could you query the backlight status?

I am not an expert but neither CONFIG_FB_S3C_HT101HD1 or CONFIG_FB_S3C_LTE480WV are defined in that config file you have posted...
inside setup_fb.c they are mutally controlling the backlight (s3cfb_backlight_onoff) status.

Could it be an issue?

actually, the Samsung Wave S8500, like the Galaxy S uses Samsungs Super AMOLED screen, that is, it isn't LCD based and does not use a backlight, as the actual light comes from the pixels themselves, there may however be a brightness setting somewhere.

references:
(wiki)> Super AMOLED

(wiki)>Organic light emitting diode
(i can't post links yet :eek: )
An OLED display functions without a backlight.

the way an LCD display works (including most LCD and even the LED displays used for PC monitors) is the backlight supplies light, and the display panel blocks the specific portions of light necessary to make the image, OLED displays do not use a backlight, as the light comes from specifically colored pixels themselves.

i think. :D

nbates66

Apr 2, 2011
Launceston
hmmm it probably means nothing, but i had a thought about the display problem, would the screen being of pentile matrix RGBG pixel variety instead of RGB require a difference in the display driver to work? i'm thinking this is unlikely to be the problem, since the galaxy S also uses a pentile matrix RGBG panel.(i'm assuming your linux kernel is derived from the Galaxy S firmware still?)

(wiki)>PenTile Matrix Family
wiki article said:
These subpixel layouts are specifically designed to operate with a proprietary set of subpixel rendering algorithms embedded in the display driver, allowing plug and play compatibility with conventional RGB Stripe panels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts