[MOD] Custom BOOT logo (helps to get rid of disclaimer on boot too)

Search This thread

Dragon31337

Sep 27, 2010
I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR PHONE OR ANY DAMAGE INCURRED FROM APPLYING THIS. MODIFY AND FLASH AT YOUR OWN RISK

==Intro==
When I've unlocked my phone I faced with ugly warning window instead of moto logo I got used to. And desperately wanted to get rid of this disclaimer.
Searching the web I've got some tips about swizzled color channels and raw image format, but there was nothing 100% compatible with (or at least described for) our DROID MAXX\Ultra\mini.

In order to modify boot logo you have to prepare and binary logo file and flash it. I'm not sure if this file get checked on flash (most likely you can flash it even on locked phone). I appreciate if someone try to flash modified logo with locked bootloader just to confirm

First off all let me tell you shortly how this binary logo file looks like.
For our phones it's size is 2,625,328 bytes, at least on 4.4 and 4.2.2 ROMs. This file includes 3 images:
1) logo for the phone with locked bootloader
2) image with discharged battery which you can see when you start charging turned off phone
3) logo for the phone with UNlocked bootloader, and in original logo there is that ugly disclaimer
each image is raw color data 540x540 in BGR (not RGB) format. there are also some headers and tech data. Here are offsets for each of these 3 images (important):
1) 512 (locked bootloader image)
2) 875520 (charging battery)
3) 1750528 (unlocked bootloader image)
each image 874800 bytes long: 540 * 540 * 3 (3 color channels, 1 byte per channel, 3 per pixel)

BTW: Fun fact on 4.2.2 there was a string at the end of the first paragraph of disclaimer "-and all warranties are null and void". In 4.4 they got rid of this phrase =)) and words alignment become worse... =))

== tools ==
1) GIMP (free tool for graphics) (http://www.gimp.org/downloads/). I was on 2.8.10.
2) RawTEX plugin for GIMP (http://registry.gimp.org/node/57). Extract RAWTex.exe to "<GIMP FOLDER>\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins\"
3) Swiss File Knife (http://sourceforge.net/projects/swissfileknife/?source=dlp)

== preparation ==
1) Make a working folder
2) get original logo.bin file for your phone from sbf file for you phone from http://sbf.droid-developers.org/. It is named logo.bin in the archive, put it in our working folder.
2.1) Actually I'll post original binary logo file below, it is the same for all Maxx\Ultra\Mini as I wrote above.
3) extract Swiss File Knife to this folder (sfk170.exe in my case)
4) find\create\resize a 540x540 image for your logo =)

== step by step how to ==
1. Prepare binary image for injection
a) open regular 540x540 (bmp, png, gif, jpeg does not matter) image in GIMP
b) flip red and blue channels
i. go to Colors -> Components -> Channel Mixer ...
ii. for output channel red (by default already selected) set RED value from 100 to 0 AND BLUE from 0 to 100
iii. for output channel blue (now select in drop down) set BLUE value from 100 to 0 AND RED from 0 to 100
iv. OK to apply
c) export in binary format
i. File -> Export as...
ii. Select "All files", expand "Select File Type (by extention)", scroll to file type "Raw image data"
iii. select our working directory as a target dir, give it a name, lets say "mylogo.data"
iv. press export
v. in export settings select Save Type "Stanadrd (R, G ,B)" and Indexed Palete Type "R, G, B (normal)", these settings should be default, but I put them just in case
d) CHECK FILE SIZE of the image, it should be exactly 874800 bytes

2. Once you get a proper binary image, lets inject it into the motorola logo file
a) open command line in our folder and execute:
Code:
sfk170.exe partcopy mylogo.data -allfrom 0 logo.bin 1750528
b) check the output it should be like this:
Code:
[simulating:]
copying 874800 bytes, from input offset 0 to 874800, to target offset 1750528
[add -yes to really copy data.]
c) if the output precisely the same as above lets commit these changes to out logo.bin by executing
Code:
sfk170.exe partcopy mylogo.data -allfrom 0 logo.bin 1750528 -yes
d) Not necessary step! if you have unlocked bootloader, this step will affect only locked phones logo
Code:
sfk170.exe partcopy mylogo.data -allfrom 0 logo.bin 512 -yes

3. your modified logo ai ready, check output filesize for logo.bin (2,625,328 bytes), cross your fingers and flash this logo to the phone:
rebbot to fastboot manually or make it with ADB:
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
flash the file:
Code:
fastboot flash logo logo.bin
reboot the phone and enjoy your stylish logo:
Code:
fastboot reboot

I'm also attaching my first custom logo which I made as a proof of concept.

== notes ==
1) same way you can replace batter logo, you know that offset =)
2) I'm aware of various logo creating tools and created logos like this
I should say that these logo files are not complete and substantially differ from our original logos, they have only one image encoded (no battery charging image, etc). It might be safe to use them, but I personally prefer to keep everything as much as possible to the original logo we have in our maxx\ultra\mini firmwares. May be I'll rool out my own tool soon to create logo files easily. It is up to you which logo to use.

Attachments

• org_logo.zip
    72 KB · Views: 175
  • moto_logo_look.png
    moto_logo_look.png
    104.4 KB · Views: 2,228
  • xda_logo.zip
    308.6 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:

Dragon31337

Sep 27, 2010
Do not forget to share your work with others! =) Lets make a galley of nice boot images here for those who do not want to draw\convert\inject.
[Reserved for the best works]

Caseyk621

Mar 20, 2011
Rochester, NY
OnePlus 9 Pro
I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR PHONE OR ANY DAMAGE INCURRED FROM APPLYING THIS. MODIFY AND FLASH AT YOUR OWN RISK

==Intro==
When I've unlocked my phone I faced with ugly warning window instead of moto logo I got used to. And desperately wanted to get rid of this disclaimer.
Searching the web I've got some tips about swizzled color channels and raw image format, but there was nothing 100% compatible with (or at least described for) our DROID MAXX\Ultra\mini.

In order to modify boot logo you have to prepare and binary logo file and flash it. I'm not sure if this file get checked on flash (most likely you can flash it even on locked phone). I appreciate if someone try to flash modified logo with locked bootloader just to confirm

For our phones it's size is 2,625,328 bytes, at least on 4.4 and 4.2.2 ROMs. This file includes 3 images:
2) image with discharged battery which you can see when you start charging turned off phone
3) logo for the phone with UNlocked bootloader, and in original logo there is that ugly disclaimer
each image is raw color data 540x540 in BGR (not RGB) format. there are also some headers and tech data. Here are offsets for each of these 3 images (important):
each image 874800 bytes long: 540 * 540 * 3 (3 color channels, 1 byte per channel, 3 per pixel)

BTW: Fun fact on 4.2.2 there was a string at the end of the first paragraph of disclaimer "-and all warranties are null and void". In 4.4 they got rid of this phrase =)) and words alignment become worse... =))

== tools ==
1) GIMP (free tool for graphics) (http://www.gimp.org/downloads/). I was on 2.8.10.
2) RawTEX plugin for GIMP (http://registry.gimp.org/node/57). Extract RAWTex.exe to "<GIMP FOLDER>\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins\"
3) Swiss File Knife (http://sourceforge.net/projects/swissfileknife/?source=dlp)

== preparation ==
1) Make a working folder
2) get original logo.bin file for your phone from sbf file for you phone from http://sbf.droid-developers.org/. It is named logo.bin in the archive, put it in our working folder.
2.1) Actually I'll post original binary logo file below, it is the same for all Maxx\Ultra\Mini as I wrote above.

ii. for output channel red (by default already selected) set RED value from 100 to 0 AND BLUE from 0 to 100
iii. for output channel blue (now select in drop down) set BLUE value from 100 to 0 AND RED from 0 to 100
iv. OK to apply
i. File -> Export as...
ii. Select "All files", expand "Select File Type (by extention)", scroll to file type "Raw image data"
iii. select our working directory as a target dir, give it a name, lets say "mylogo.data"
iv. press export
v. in export settings select Save Type "Stanadrd (R, G ,B)" and Indexed Palete Type "R, G, B (normal)", these settings should be default, but I put them just in case

2. Once you get a proper binary image, lets inject it into the motorola logo file
Code:
Code:
c) if the output precisely the same as above lets commit these changes to out logo.bin by executing
Code:
d) Not necessary step! if you have unlocked bootloader, this step will affect only locked phones logo
Code:

3. your modified logo ai ready, check output filesize for logo.bin (2,625,328 bytes), cross your fingers and flash this logo to the phone:
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
flash the file:
Code:
Code:
fastboot reboot

== notes ==
I should say that these logo files are not complete and substantially differ from our original logos, they have only one image encoded (no battery charging image, etc). It might be safe to use them, but I personally prefer to keep everything as much as possible to the original logo we have in our maxx\ultra\mini firmwares. May be I'll rool out my own tool soon to create logo files easily. It is up to you which logo to use.

From what i have read with locked bootloader you flash to clogo and use .bmp file. So it would be

fastboot flash clogo <filename.bmp>

Sent from my Dev Ed. Ultra

bigv5150

Jan 8, 2011
Clogo.bmp is for locked boot loader the op has an unlocked phone its logo.bin he is correct

---------- Post added at 02:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:38 PM ----------

Dragon the xda logo when unzipped says its a data file not a bin file I am unable to flash it. I really like it and would like to try it out.

Summersett

Apr 24, 2011
Clogo.bmp is for locked boot loader the op has an unlocked phone its logo.bin he is correct

---------- Post added at 02:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:38 PM ----------

Dragon the xda logo when unzipped says its a data file not a bin file I am unable to flash it. I really like it and would like to try it out.
The logo_fixed.bin and xda_logo.data are both the same filesize with the same header. You should just be able to change xda_logo.data to xda_logo.bin and flash it, and it will work.

Dragon31337

Sep 27, 2010
Looks like there is no option for unlocked phones to use animated logos, at least I did not figured out it yet. By default unlocked phone read this non-animated image from logo file and display it. Actually someone already posted this note.

I've reuploaded xda_logo, now there is a bin file, so you should not rename it from .data to .bin before flashing.

bigv5150

Jan 8, 2011
Thanks for the upload I'm going to try it tonight.

That sucks the colors don't cycle when I changed the stock logo it got stuck on orange as well. I'm guessing that may be the first color in the cycle.

Dragon31337

Sep 27, 2010
It did not stack, logo behavior is just different for locked and unlocked bootloaders. I'm still looking for opportunities to enable animated logo.

Caseyk621

Mar 20, 2011
Rochester, NY
OnePlus 9 Pro

Indeed. He asked in OP about someone trying it w locked bootloader. I was addressing that

Sent from my Dev Ed. Ultra

bigv5150

Jan 8, 2011
Here is something interesting I just got a refurbished maxx from Verizon in the mail ( don't ask its going back). Anyway when I turned it on the boot logo was orange same as yours. Here is the weird part everytime I boot up the phone its always the orange Motorola logo it never changes this phone is stock from the factory and it still never changes I don't get it

Dragon31337

Sep 27, 2010
From what I've got reading forums there is a way to turn on animation and firmware supports that. It turns on animation by schedule and can be updated over internet by carrier\moto. By default it shows static logo, but once there is a schedule record and it hits current time it uses alternative logo which can be animated.
May be we should dig into that direction.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

==Intro==

== tools ==

== preparation ==
    1) Make a working folder

iv. OK to apply
    i. File -> Export as...
    iv. press export

Code:
    Code:
    Code:
    Code:

Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    flash the file:
    Code:
    Code:
    fastboot reboot

== notes ==