Tab 3 10.1 help with 64gb micro sd

Search This thread

DopeShow

Feb 12, 2013
OK my problem is I have the tab 3 10.1 with a 64gb micro SD card in it and the only way to root is to put a smaller SD card in because for some reason it can't read the 64gb micro SD card and when I want to make a backup in cwm it says it can't mount the 64gb micro SD card but if I use anything smaller everything works fine so my question is, is there a work around or some way to Make my tab 3 mount the micro SD because I'd like to install other roms and stuff but I'm not going to I till I can make a backup first. Also with the 64gb card in my tab 3 everything else works like watching videos stored on the SD or music on the SD, anyways any help with this issue would be much appreciated.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using xda app-developers app

Nitro_123

Feb 26, 2011
Sydney
you MIGHT have better luck if you format the SD card in some other file system. Other than that I'm not sure :(
You could buy an 8 gig one and swap it too :)

Battlehero

OK my problem is I have the tab 3 10.1 with a 64gb micro SD card in it and the only way to root is to put a smaller SD card in because for some reason it can't read the 64gb micro SD card and when I want to make a backup in cwm it says it can't mount the 64gb micro SD card but if I use anything smaller everything works fine so my question is, is there a work around or some way to Make my tab 3 mount the micro SD because I'd like to install other roms and stuff but I'm not going to I till I can make a backup first. Also with the 64gb card in my tab 3 everything else works like watching videos stored on the SD or music on the SD, anyways any help with this issue would be much appreciated.

Have you tried both recoveries? CWM and TWRP if neither work you may have to format to fat32.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

DopeShow

Feb 12, 2013
Yes I've tried every recovery out there and with cwm it does this count down from 10 that says connecting then after it gets to 1 it says aborted because it cannot mount the micro SD and yes its formated to fat32 and I've tried exfat and every other format nothing works, and in my first post when I said I couldn't root from the micro SD I mean by going into cwm and loading zip file from there it does the same thing and says it can't connect, that's why everytime I root my device this way I have to borrow a 32gb micro SD and everything works fine

DopeShow

Feb 12, 2013
My 64gb card is recognized while the device is in regular running mode like I can go into settings and then storage and see the card there and how much space is used and free the Only time the card doesn't work right is when I'm in recovery mode because for some reason in recovery mode the system says it can't mount it and that is my whole problem, I need a way to fix it so my 64gb card can be mounted and used while in recovery mode.

VIRGIN KLM

Feb 27, 2013
It's either a recovery issue or a driver/kernel/bootloader issue, a case that the Tab 3 10.1 development is far from being active.
It looks like it can't allocate space that exceeds 32GiB.
Also wrong thread.

DopeShow

Feb 12, 2013
I've already done that and the card works fine example in the device it only stops working in cwm recovery saying it can't be mounted

Sent from my GT-P5210 using XDA Premium ANDROID Developer's App

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
Thread cleaned of off topic posting and unnecessary non-related junk.

(yes, we can do this)

Any more silly ridiculous junk posted, and this thread will be closed permanently.

If the OP wants to keep this in open forums, we cannot prevent this and welcome the debate, as it seems fitting.

Cheers

MD

Last edited:

Brian D

Feb 18, 2014
Oceanside, Ca
My thoughts...

Running the tab in normal mode allows the 64gb card to be read. However, if you start in CWM or TWRP recovery, you are no longer in the "normal" mode and the tab does not recognize the 64gb card. In recovery mode, it is possible that the memory allocations are limited where as in normal mode, 64gb is OK.

In this case, for rooting, maybe you should load the root file on internal memory and not the memory card. I use 4gb cards and neither CWM or TWRP could work with them. I think the issue is in the recovery programs and not the Tab, save for memory limitations set by the base firmware.

Again, JMHO and I may be way out in left field here.

GorillaPimp

Jul 18, 2008
TWRP after 2.4 supports exfat. What version are you using? Many people have posted that TWRP 2.7.0.0 has hosed sd support and people have posted earlier versions like 2.6.*.* and now 2.7.0.1 work fine. I'm guessing you've were trying a broken version.
Your phone is a computer running the linux operating system. Hardware works by way of software called drivers that allow the system to communicate with various devices like drives and radios. The drivers in linux are built into the kernel which is the heart of the system or they are loaded as modules. When building a kernel you can add or subtract any number of various drivers you may or may not need into the system. The stock Samsung kernel has the various file system (fat32, exfat, ext3, etc) drivers built into it and that's why your sd card is recognized and works fine within the Samsung custom Android operating system you're running. TWRP and other recovery systems are bare bones operating systems that you load in order to perform maintenance functions like loading firmware or running backups. When the devs for TWRP compiled their kernel (processed all the changes to their new kernel and made it ready to operate) for version 2.7.0.0 they screwed up by either leaving out support for cards of a certain size, file systems of a certain size, support for certain filesystems or used experimental buggy drivers. This is why your card doesnt work in recovery.

You should try a different version of the recovery you desire. You might also want to try formatting the sdcard as another filesystem like ext4. The CWM thread for your tablet xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2432467 says that 64gb support is very buggy and that CWM is not being worked on anymore for your device. Some people say it works for them though. Page 1 of the TWRP thread for your device (which is final on version 2.7 which may mean his last build killed 64gb support) mentions earlier versions working with 64gb cards. You may want to ask people posting early in the thread if they have an early version they could upload for you.
If you own a mac or linux system or burn a linux cd( ubuntu live cd) you could format your 64gb microsd as ext3 or ext4 and it should have no issue unless it's a problem with the capacity of the microsd in which case you could try to create one partition on the microsd card of say 25gb. That could work if partition size and not disk capacity is the problem.
Those seem to be your options along with just buying a 32gb, 16gb, 8gb, 4gb, 2gb card to root with. Memory is getting cheaper and images to flash ROMs and recoveries are generally small. You could probably buy one in your local drug store for $5. If money isn't tight, there's your easiest solution. You could borrow a smaller card from someone too if money is tight. They are pretty common in phones going back 6 years now. If you want to learn more about your phone and get hands on experience try another method above.

Good luck. Hope you get it going.

Last edited:

DopeShow

Feb 12, 2013
TWRP after 2.4 supports exfat. What version are you using? Many people have posted that TWRP 2.7.0.0 has hosed sd support and people have posted earlier versions like 2.6.*.* and now 2.7.0.1 work fine. I'm guessing you've were trying a broken version.
Your phone is a computer running the linux operating system. Hardware works by way of software called drivers that allow the system to communicate with various devices like drives and radios. The drivers in linux are built into the kernel which is the heart of the system or they are loaded as modules. When building a kernel you can add or subtract any number of various drivers you may or may not need into the system. The stock Samsung kernel has the various file system (fat32, exfat, ext3, etc) drivers built into it and that's why your sd card is recognized and works fine within the Samsung custom Android operating system you're running. TWRP and other recovery systems are bare bones operating systems that you load in order to perform maintenance functions like loading firmware or running backups. When the devs for TWRP compiled their kernel (processed all the changes to their new kernel and made it ready to operate) for version 2.7.0.0 they screwed up by either leaving out support for cards of a certain size, file systems of a certain size, support for certain filesystems or used experimental buggy drivers. This is why your card doesnt work in recovery.

You should try a different version of the recovery you desire. You might also want to try formatting the sdcard as another filesystem like ext4. The CWM thread for your tablet xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2432467 says that 64gb support is very buggy and that CWM is not being worked on anymore for your device. Some people say it works for them though. Page 1 of the TWRP thread for your device (which is final on version 2.7 which may mean his last build killed 64gb support) mentions earlier versions working with 64gb cards. You may want to ask people posting early in the thread if they have an early version they could upload for you.
If you own a mac or linux system or burn a linux cd( ubuntu live cd) you could format your 64gb microsd as ext3 or ext4 and it should have no issue unless it's a problem with the capacity of the microsd in which case you could try to create one partition on the microsd card of say 25gb. That could work if partition size and not disk capacity is the problem.
Those seem to be your options along with just buying a 32gb, 16gb, 8gb, 4gb, 2gb card to root with. Memory is getting cheaper and images to flash ROMs and recoveries are generally small. You could probably buy one in your local drug store for $5. If money isn't tight, there's your easiest solution. You could borrow a smaller card from someone too if money is tight. They are pretty common in phones going back 6 years now. If you want to learn more about your phone and get hands on experience try another method above.

yes ive tried multiple recovery's and they all do the same thing and cannot read the 64gb micro sd and yes I have my sd formatted to fat32 and I am on windows on my laptop but I can format the micro sd to ext3 or 4 but my question is, if I do that and its formatted to ext3 will I still be able to access my tablets drive space through my laptop like I can now with it being on fat32, because if I cant then that would be pointless for me to do because then I wouldn't be able to add and take things off my sd while its in my tablet., also I said in my first post that this problem doesn't happen using a smaller micro sd like 32 or smaller it only happens with the 64gb, so it has to do with the size some how

DopeShow

Feb 12, 2013

also IDK if you know this but there isn't many recovery's out there for the galaxy tab 3 10.1 the only one I use is bindroid_cwm_p5210_santos10wifi and even with this recovery it has a slight lag to it when using it.