[UPG][TRBL]How-to fix: Update/Flash doesnt work, stops at 0% or 5% (invalid model ID)

Search This thread

cptsunshine

Feb 13, 2008
Bavaria
Update doesn't work at all / stops at 1%

Short answer: Your device is needs HardSPL. See links at bottom to get it, read on to understand the difference between Standard/Developer Edition!
Long answer:If your Diamond refuses to be updated completely, you're probably missing HardSPL. The SPL is the device's bootloader. It controls what can be flashed and what not. In order to flash anything not signed by HTC or your cell operator, you will need a "custom" version, called HardSPL.
There is two versions of HardSPL, the links are at the bottom, but please continue reading the next section before downloading.

Update stops at 0%

Short answer: You're running the normal HardSPL and you're trying to flash an unsigned (not signed by olinex) ROM. You need the developer version which fixes the 0% issue. Link is at the bottom of this post. Read on to understand the difference between Standard/Developer Edition!
Long answer: First you need to understand that there are two definitions of "signed". HTC and the mobile operators sign ROMs so that the RUU flash utility allows them to be flashed. Usually this is what the word "signed" in the filename means.
Then there is another definition of signed: The developers of HardSPL introduced their own signing process. They want to ensure that people flashing cooked ROMs can rely on a certain quality standard. The normal version of HardSPL will only allow ROMs signed by OliNex to be flashed. If the ROM you are about to flash is signed, it will say so in the thread you got it from. If it isn't signed, you will need the developer version of HardSPL. That one will allow any ROM to be flashed. Get it at the bottom of this posting.
A note on this: The signing process by olinex makes sure that the ROM you're about to flash won't brick your device. It doesn't mean all other ROMs are necessarily evil.

Update stops at 5%/Invalid Model ID is displayed

Short answer: The model ID hardcoded in the ROM image doesn't match the ID of your device. Read on for a fix.
Long answer: Don't Panic. Your Device isn't broken :)
Each Diamond Model has it's own ID. My German MDA Compact IV is a DIAM200. Other models are DIAM150/DIAM300/DIAM100....
Now ROMs might be configured to be flashable to a specific Model ID only, even though technically they would work fine on any Model ID.
In that case the ROM needs to be "reconfigured" - this process works for full ROMs as well as Radios.
  • If you are running a foreign Version of Windows or have Regional Settings other than English US configured, please set them to English U.S. temporarily. Otherwise NBHUtil will not function correctly.
  • First you'll need OliPro's NBH Util (0.92 works for the Diamond).
  • Fire it up, switch to "Extract NBH"
  • Select the nbh of the ROM/Radio to be flashed and hit Go
  • Extract the components you need. Radio/Splash/OS. If there's an SPL in there, you can safely discard/ignore it. You have HardSPL for that.
  • Make note of the Target CID, Version, Language and Chunk Size. FYI the Model ID is the problematic setting here. If it says DIAM10000 and you have a DIAM300 you're screwed.
  • Switch to the Build NBH tab and select the Diamond as target
  • Note how the Model ID is preset to DIAM*****. The wildcard allows any device
  • Change target CID, Version, Lang & Chunk size to the values you wrote down.
  • Select each saved component under the NBH items
  • Hit Build NBH and save the file as RUU_signed.nbh to a folder of your choice and flash it with the DiamondCustomRUU.exe or ROMUpdateUtility.exe
  • Donate to OliPro because he just made your device useful :)

Hope I could help :)

Link to the standard HardSPL requiring ROMs to be signed by olinex: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=2305307&postcount=1

Link to the developer HardSPL allowing any ROM: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=2312363&postcount=2

NBH Util 0.93 is attached to this post. Oli: can you point me to the original thread containing the 0.93 version? I couldn't find it anymore.

Attachments

• NBHUtil.zip
    74.3 KB · Views: 18,834
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: gambrah

cptsunshine

Feb 13, 2008
Bavaria
Screenshots for "Update stops at 5%/Invalid Model ID is displayed"
48761369vt7.png

45602309fs3.png

48370625ij1.png

42657738wj3.png

Last edited:

mihaixl

Nov 1, 2006
Campina
Why don't you build a DIAM***** nbh file and put on this forum!
For many got it can be a general thing for all users!

racerx_

Mar 27, 2007
because you need a different .nbh for each ROM in the forum and i don't think he wants to do that...

cptsunshine

Feb 13, 2008
Bavaria
mihaixl: Just what racerx_ said. Would you rather have the single fish or learn how to fish yourself ?

dtosun: thanks for the involuntary debugging help. i added a note to the original docs.
maybe a mod can cleanup the postings?

HTCDiamond22

Jul 9, 2008
Cape Town
Tones thanks for this, but i have not done it yet, i don't know which one to pick, i have the ERROR 294, and the update stops at 1%

not 5 or 0

should i go with the olnix rom then the HK version?

HTCDiamond22

Jul 9, 2008
Cape Town
HARDSPL works thanks, but only thing now is that i miss my TF3D bottom effect, the moving tiles don't move anymore.

this is because of the HK rom.

outkasted

Aug 11, 2007
New Delhi
this is a perfect how to.....
stupendous effort m8 thx a ton for all the directions and thx again to oli m8 for the utility
all TC and my rgrds:):):)

cptsunshine

Feb 13, 2008
Bavaria
this is a perfect how to.....
stupendous effort m8 thx a ton for all the directions and thx again to oli m8 for the utility
all TC and my rgrds:):):)

Thank you. mhm nice warm fuzzy feeling.

I just updated the original posting, I tried to make things more clear and easier to understand. Everyone: let me know if something doesn't make sense to you.

Mods: I'll risk sounding selfish. Wanna stick this? with proper care it might evolve into a basic ROM flashing FAQ... Maybe I'll port it over to the Wiki as well...
I realize there's _ a lot _ stuck already, but a lot of that could be consolidated in as little as 2 or 3 index threads. I'm willing to do that, please contact me via pm if you want.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Update doesn't work at all / stops at 1%

Short answer: Your device is needs HardSPL. See links at bottom to get it, read on to understand the difference between Standard/Developer Edition!
    Long answer:If your Diamond refuses to be updated completely, you're probably missing HardSPL. The SPL is the device's bootloader. It controls what can be flashed and what not. In order to flash anything not signed by HTC or your cell operator, you will need a "custom" version, called HardSPL.
    There is two versions of HardSPL, the links are at the bottom, but please continue reading the next section before downloading.

Update stops at 0%

Short answer: You're running the normal HardSPL and you're trying to flash an unsigned (not signed by olinex) ROM. You need the developer version which fixes the 0% issue. Link is at the bottom of this post. Read on to understand the difference between Standard/Developer Edition!
    Long answer: First you need to understand that there are two definitions of "signed". HTC and the mobile operators sign ROMs so that the RUU flash utility allows them to be flashed. Usually this is what the word "signed" in the filename means.
    Then there is another definition of signed: The developers of HardSPL introduced their own signing process. They want to ensure that people flashing cooked ROMs can rely on a certain quality standard. The normal version of HardSPL will only allow ROMs signed by OliNex to be flashed. If the ROM you are about to flash is signed, it will say so in the thread you got it from. If it isn't signed, you will need the developer version of HardSPL. That one will allow any ROM to be flashed. Get it at the bottom of this posting.
    A note on this: The signing process by olinex makes sure that the ROM you're about to flash won't brick your device. It doesn't mean all other ROMs are necessarily evil.

Update stops at 5%/Invalid Model ID is displayed

Short answer: The model ID hardcoded in the ROM image doesn't match the ID of your device. Read on for a fix.
    Long answer: Don't Panic. Your Device isn't broken :)
    Each Diamond Model has it's own ID. My German MDA Compact IV is a DIAM200. Other models are DIAM150/DIAM300/DIAM100....
    Now ROMs might be configured to be flashable to a specific Model ID only, even though technically they would work fine on any Model ID.
    In that case the ROM needs to be "reconfigured" - this process works for full ROMs as well as Radios.
    • If you are running a foreign Version of Windows or have Regional Settings other than English US configured, please set them to English U.S. temporarily. Otherwise NBHUtil will not function correctly.
    • First you'll need OliPro's NBH Util (0.92 works for the Diamond).
    • Fire it up, switch to "Extract NBH"
    • Select the nbh of the ROM/Radio to be flashed and hit Go
    • Extract the components you need. Radio/Splash/OS. If there's an SPL in there, you can safely discard/ignore it. You have HardSPL for that.
    • Make note of the Target CID, Version, Language and Chunk Size. FYI the Model ID is the problematic setting here. If it says DIAM10000 and you have a DIAM300 you're screwed.
    • Switch to the Build NBH tab and select the Diamond as target
    • Note how the Model ID is preset to DIAM*****. The wildcard allows any device
    • Change target CID, Version, Lang & Chunk size to the values you wrote down.
    • Select each saved component under the NBH items
    • Hit Build NBH and save the file as RUU_signed.nbh to a folder of your choice and flash it with the DiamondCustomRUU.exe or ROMUpdateUtility.exe
    • Donate to OliPro because he just made your device useful :)

Hope I could help :)

Link to the standard HardSPL requiring ROMs to be signed by olinex: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=2305307&postcount=1

Link to the developer HardSPL allowing any ROM: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=2312363&postcount=2

NBH Util 0.93 is attached to this post. Oli: can you point me to the original thread containing the 0.93 version? I couldn't find it anymore.